Page:
PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
What qualities do you look for when choosing music to spin to, for performance or enjoyment?------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

daskmember
53 posts

Posted:
Hi,As cassandra said before there is a spinning for every mood. I think there are music to every mood too.Oottat, I'm with you on this, when I feel good but a bit lonely I love to go for a spin in nature with my fire and me and for only music, the rush of fire and the sounds of nature. It's more a mystical way of spinning for me I just let the things flow and I can compare it to a kind of meditation.But when I'm a little nervous or just want to push me I like to spin on power metal or tribal hardcore tekno. In this case I just can't stop running everywhere and turning on myself all the time. I spin very fast and very agressivly.My last way of spinning is the technical way I enjoy some quiet music form drum'n bass to soft electronic things like bjork or trip-hop even a bit of rock or etnical music. I like these music when I try to figure out new tricks and combos.And you do you always listen to the same music or does music correspond to a way of spinning ???

o]-[DasK]-[o

Oottatmember
10 posts

Posted:
I just started swinging about two months ago, so I am still trying out different music. Thats what let me to this thread in the first place! smilePele - I don't know if you were asking because you were just curious or if you were looking for suggestions, if you are just curious this will be meaningless. I think that for a performance you should just go with music that you like because I know when I watch someone spin, the music is just background noise, it's important noise but if in the middle of a swing the music cut out I would still be staring enraptured! smileLike I said, don't know if that's what you were asking, it's just my .02.Oottat------------------It's only funny until someone gets hurt.... Then it's a COMPETITION!!!

It's only funny until someone gets hurt.... Then it's a COMPETITION!!!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Ootat (i love that name!)I was simply curious to find out what actual qualities people look for in music, not for suggestions. You know, do you look for heavy bass, or counter drum rhythms, or no vocals? Changing music that goes fast to slow int he same song? Do you spin to s certain kind all the time or different kinds by mood? That kind of stuff.I personally have to perform to a song I like to listen to. I find ***anything*** with a rhythm I can spin too, from opera where the beat is governed by the vocals, to jazz, blues, hard rock, zydeco.....you name it, I have tried it, it seems.I have favorites, they are a bit slower, sexy and ethereal sounding. I like Peter Gabriel, Massive Attack, Shivaree, Alicia Keys and some 80's stuff currently (Sweet Dreams by Eurythmics is real nice). They have this slow, sexy and yet not quite grounded feel that is nice and relaxed. My main quality is music that flows, one beat to the next, one tone to the next. I find it distracting to spin to music that is jaunty and jumpy.My .02 (and prolly about time i answered my own damn question aye? wink)------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
oh try swinging to something in 3 time... well 6/8 is better really... ok fine, like NO pop, but try it anyway, cos then you can actually do weaves in time to the beat! woo! lolhmm, there isn't any techno in 6/8 is there? might as well ask while im here...

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

Janglamember
155 posts

Posted:
Seeing as everyone is dropping their fave twirling tunes and styles I thought I'd give my 2 cents.For me there has to be some variety in any track (that goes for listening as well as twirling). Nice breakdowns and drum rolls keep people interested and give you the opportunity to throw some mad stuff into the mix. As for BPM - depends on the mood. The natural flow is to twirl fast to faster music and vice versa but it's sometimes nice to play something very slow and mellow but twirl very fast, smooth and fluid - adds a certain "je n'sais quoi".Fave tracks at the moment? Well there's a lot I listen to and sometimes twirl to stuff I have made myself but the following is the kind of more avaiable stuff I do.Note: All of these tracks are available on Audiogalaxy for free download (get to CNet downloads and get this program - it's a million times better than napster!). Most of these are also my favourites to DJ too - like to keep 'em guessing!Top Twirlin' Trax:Plump DJ's :: Push - kick ass breakbeat thumperGenerator :: Where Are You Now? (Moonman remix) - Bangin' euro trancer with massive breaks for some slower spinningDepeche Mode :: Dream On - Slower big phat breaks. Very mellow, very niceKinobe :: Slip Into - Everyone knows this lil beauty. Very slow but great with very long poi.Groove Armada :: Chicago - Another slow breaker but soooo funky!Aria :: Dido - Blistering euro trancer. Tried to get this on vinyl at the weekend but deleted frown If anyone knows where I can get a copy, drop me a line!DJ Tiesto :: Sparkles - another blinding track from the god of trance. Huge euphoric breaks to add variety to your routineChemical Brothers :: Life Is Sweet - speaks for itself really!And finally, one for Pele - Eurithmics :: Sweet Dreams Are Made of This (MASSIVE DANCE REMIX OUT ABOUT 6 MONTHS AGO!!!!). Loooove this tune. The original is good but the dance remix has a certain dirty thumping feel to it that I really like to twirl to.That's all for now but if I stumble across any other nice stwirlin' trax I'll drop 'em in....and if anyone wants a DJ for a fire event drop me a line. More than willing to help out - plus I could learn a few things too! (twirling-wise that is - my DJ'ing is fine wink )------------------"We are all of us in the gutter but some of us are looking up at the stars."[This message has been edited by Jangla (edited 05 September 2001).][This message has been edited by Jangla (edited 05 September 2001).]

---------------------With a bit of luck, his life was ruined; always thinking that just behind some narrow door, in his favourite bars, men in red woolen suits are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I don't think that techno can be 6/8. Most electronic music has a definite 4/4 driving beat arranged in repeating four bars. Actually, I like moves that parallel the music. Though 3 and 5 beat weaves are cool, I've been playing with twos and fours more to keep with the beat and flow of the deep trance that I like to listen to. I also like the 131 BPM that deep trance usually settles into. It goes with my weight of poi. Slow enough to spin to, fast enough to make me sweat. Though I do enjoy the music, I would need a large dose of crack to spin my heavies to most eurotrance, jungle or hardcore. winkI do like to mix it up and spin slow sometimes also. Opera is nice for that.I am one of the few that actually likes recorded music better because I know when it's going to break, escalate, stop, swell, etc. and can do tricks accordingly.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Last night I was swinging to Bjork's 'Hidden Place' thats on Vespertine, her new album.It was so good, I had to stop when the track finished to put it on loop before I started again.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

SteelWngsBRONZE Member
169 posts

Posted:
Has anyone here spun to live drummers or a live band?I have found that dancing/spinning to a live band that feeds off a dancers/spinners movements is allways better than recorded music.What is everyone elses opinion?------------------Blessings to all, Peter "There is a rhythm that unites us with the natural world. The more we learnto feel that rhythm and get it into the mainstream of our lives, thestronger can be our spirit."--- Robert Rodale

Blessings to all,
Peter
When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon ...you just have to outrun the halfling.

Janglamember
155 posts

Posted:
Was twirling last night while my house mate mixed some tracks on Fruity Loops. Turned out erally nice - I was spinning to his tunes and he was ajusting the tunes to suit the spinning. A very nice synergy indeed.------------------"We are all of us in the gutter but some of us are looking up at the stars."

---------------------With a bit of luck, his life was ruined; always thinking that just behind some narrow door, in his favourite bars, men in red woolen suits are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know.

Aislinnmember
6 posts

Posted:
Hi ,Steel Wings, we dance to live drums. ( I'm a drummer and we have 4 other drummers in our troupe.) I have to say I'm with PJ on this. There is a real synergy that gets going between the drummers and dancers that you just don't have with canned music. ( not to mention that live drums are much easier to hear over the fire. ) As for the type of music I like to dance too, drums, medieval/ folk/ trad. I love the tribal sound. Classical can be great too, Hall of the Mountain King, Overture of 1812,Tocata and Fugue in D Minor; really anything that sends chills up your spine. smileI think the main thing is to find music that speaks to you, stuff that gets in your bones and that you just can't help but move to it. ------------------AislinnTribe Rolling Thunder, Sisterhood of the SerpentThe Rolling Thunder web site -- https://www.geocities.com/aislinn0325/drum.htm
* Ask no more and give no less than honesty, courage, loyalty, generosity, and fairness. *

Aislinn
Tribe Rolling Thunder, Sisterhood of the Serpent
* Ask no more and give no less than honesty, courage, loyalty, generosity, and fairness. *

Jademember
1 post

Posted:
I personally love to dance when i have a friend(s) drumming with me, or else when i can't cordinate that i find Crash Worship gives me the combination of 'tribal' drumming and interesting slower sounds. It's currently my favorite.-=j.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Peter, Definately live drums.. they pulsate through your body. The best part of staff to music is that if you time your hand over hand the the beat (base best) it makes throws alot easier.. Cheers staffies LOVIN', to see you're all out there.. wish i had some of you in australia with me smileB.. and enjoy itVikk

TaiGuymember
127 posts

Posted:
Stuff with a serious beat or industrial. Like Aquagen is one seriously talented crew. Their particular style of music is highly danceable, swingable, breakable, go-wild-able gringood stuff...

The reason communism doesn't work is because people like to own stuff

eyemonkeymember
22 posts

Posted:
I got a old skool hip hop vibe going on, although I'm liking the foreign hip hop at the moment, like orishas, ozomatli and the new mc solaar album are stormin. though techno is good to spin to. ------------------peace out,EyEMonKeY

peace out,EyEMonKeY

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I personally choose to spin to alternative music and a bit of rock. When i spin i usually chuck on "Incubus" or "Linkin Park". But then again, i'll spin to any music, as long as it has some bass, rythem, and stuff like that. but ya can never go wrong with tribal sounds

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Ha! A 6 1/2 year bump! bounce

This is a tough one. To me it depends on how I feel and what I like to express with the music.

Generally I like melodic, harmony and a steady beat. Not too many (unpredictable) brakes. I love 130bpms to spin to, not too many vocals. If the drummers are right: live percussion is my preferred choice. Other than that: Mellow to Hard House/ Electro, Chillout with percussion and Mellow (Psy)Trance (in this order).

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Stephanie_ClarkBRONZE Member

Posted:
hmmm, with fans you get a wider variety of tempos for songs due to the nature of the tool. Some of my favorites for solo spinning are;
Sakura- RevenG
Nara- Es posthumas
Hindi sad diamonds- Moulin Rouge
The Bacchanale from samson and delilah
High- GRITS
Scenario- Saboten
Exotic Ethnic- RevenG
Alot of DDR songs are good for high energy performances really.

Some fun ones for groups I think are;
The godfather theme- Edvin Marton
Sarajevo 12/24 -Trans siberian Orchestra
Count the bodies like sheep- A perfect circle
Any high school or college drumline stand cadences really

Oh my, I meant to keep the list brief...oops... ^_^;;

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Wow...Now there's a resurection FT!
I actually stopped, looked at the title and thought "When did I write that???" lol

It's funny how things have changed, but not.
I still love spinning to all that stuff I mentioned before.
Live musicians can be fun, depending on what instruments they are playing..brass band, not so easy! lol

I really like any genre of music so I just kind of spin to my mood when practicing (unless for a show, then we have set songs..lately Albannach has been big for us in that capacity).
I do think I gravitate alot more to delta blues now though, and chicago blues and rock-blues.

Still not into techno.

Pele

Page: