PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Okay, this doesn't really fit into technical but it isn't social since it does pertain to performing and on that basis, I am posting here (so don't yell at me FF grin).I have been asked to spin at a wedding. THis is no problem. I asked the bride and groom what music the would prefer I spin to, what they would like to hear, since they are not having a DJ.They told me they listen to Cat Stevens, Jim Croce, old CSN&Y...you know the reallllly easy folky stuff. I like that music too, it's nice but not to spin to.They hate Tekkno and Trance. Not really big fans of Pop or Blues/Jazz. Rock is passable with them but might offend some of their guests. I have two weeks to get a viable routine down and right now no tunes to do it to, and for the record, they want music...not just the rush of fire. confusedAny suggestions would be beyond appreciated! Thank you. smile------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
ring of fire!im going to get a cd of 25 versions of it this week smilePere

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
The BACKSTREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET BOYS!!!!!!!!!!!nomad

Twistmember
160 posts

Posted:
I think this is VERY technical...And I have bunches o' suggestions:1. Celtic: Maintains the acoustic flavor with an extremely uptempo feel and progressive, building rythms.See "Donald McGillavry" (sp?) by the band "Silly Wizard."2. Spanish Guitar: The dramatic builds and turns of bullfighting and dueling music for poi?! I think it would work.3. "Outback" and "Dr. Didj": Incarnations of the same band... second has a slightly "techno" feel, but it's looped didgeridoo samples and sounds VERY organic and acoustic.4. Uptempo Reggae5. Babatunde Olatunji, Zakir Hussein, or any World Beat Percussion

NYC_not_PKOne Tyred Guy
203 posts

Posted:
Either some good powerful classical or an instrumental soundtrack. I'm thinking of some pipe organ Bach, George Winston, or a Danny Elfman soundtrack (Batman, Edward Scissorhands.)Unless they are REALLY against electronic music you might be able to slip some in... There are some cross over/technoish stuff that you might want to try like "clubbed to death" off of the matrix soundtrack, Or that opera song off of NYC underground 3. I've got a wide range of music instruments so if you give me a hint I might be able to find you something...With a nice classical number you can't go wrong at a wedding though... Oh wait, WAAAY overplayed but "O fortuna" from Carmina Burana by Carl Orf (spelling?!) the classical piece featured in every movie trailer with a sword in it. Hit up CDnow and you'll know what I"m talking about.

PK is a god.. i love the Peeekster.

.:PK:. [poiinthepark founder member]

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing smileSTAY SAFE! hug

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I have a tekkno version of O FOrtuna...as well as the Thundercats remix but I don't think that'll go, even though it is a weaponed wedding (Don't ask). What I am going to do is just list all the suggestions and let them choose (prolly stupid I know) so thanks and keep em coming.Except for you Nomad...you are one sick puppy! ;-) Let me guess you watched the BSB special on CBS last night didn't you? when the rest of us were scrambling to turn off the tv you were hurdling furniture to turn it on! smile------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
Nope, i was still cleaning my gear from the Franconia weekend!I agree with Twist, World Beat Percussion sounds good. Also, have you thought about Loreena McKennit?nomad

Stressed Ericmember
15 posts

Posted:
pelewhat sort od BPM are you after ?as my wife and I have a very wide selection of music here (shes a clasicly trained musician )give us a range and ill pass it by the pregnant one .but off the top of my head possible summut by Enya or enigma or even summut along the lines of Michael Nyman "The Heart Asks Pleasure First"( the theame from the piano)Eric

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
I normally ask people I'm going to perform for "what are you listening to at the moment" when planning out a performance, and that gives me a good starting point.Anyway, I don't mind a fair bit of folk, and here are some tunes I might suggest:Peace Train by Cat Stevens Highway 51 by Bob Dylan might be ok tooRolf Harris (don't laugh) - Sun ariseWhat about the Pogues? They're technically folk.....good luck

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
and let us not forget red rain by peter gabriel and also what about paul simon something like graceland or rhythm of the saints? and also baba maal song called Soukanayo which is quite fun african music.brain tired. too much tai chi. bed now.Pere

mikeybmember
93 posts

Posted:
Interesting, as for the last couple of weeks my main spinning music has been:Cat StevensCrosby Stills & NashBob Dylansimon and GarfunkelPentangle.Seriously, have a play with some folk, it's not that fast on the surface, although if you spin to the fingerpicking patterns rather than the pulse it can turn out very quick indeed, but what I like about it as opposed to, say, techno (which I also love) is the changes in tempo - it feels great when, say, Suite Judy Blue Eyes suddenly changes speed and you catch and match it.Santana's in the right time-frame and has that big complex Brazilian beat to it.On a hybrid / crossover thing, certainly endorse Dr Didj, the Afro-Celt Sound System's very good, Headspace do a nice Folk/Techno hybrid, Baba Maal scores big points, as do Baka Beyond if the African Crossover thing seems right.If all this still sounds a bit yuck, then look at it as an "opportunity to widen your experience" and get even more versatile - bite the bullet, and give them the best show possible within the constraint. Which we know you will do smilemikeyB

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I think I am going with the easier tribal beat of Peter Gabriel w/ Massive Attack doing "Games Without Frontiers", the rockish Type O Negative's version of "Cinnamon Girl", the Jazz sounds of Susan Tedeschi "Rock Me Right", the slow easy sounds of LeeAnna Rimes "I Need You" and do the blows to something like the gaelic song "Sleepy Maggie" or "Southern Cross" Crosby, Stills and Nash. I might as well give them the full myriad, right? Thanks everyone for the help. I myself listen to a wide array of music and can spin to most of it but I have never had to perform for people who are so limited, you know?Thanks so much everyone. You really gave me alot of choices and much to think about...and this, coupled with a discussion I had with Nomad over the weekend, leads me to another question, on a new thread! wink------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...[This message has been edited by Pele (edited 02 June 2001).]

Pele