gάrbǿaddict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
Hey guysto anyone who has double headed wicks, I request a moment of your time.Do you have two wicks screwed onto on a longer piece of metal piping or do you have two smaller wicks (like the ones you can buy here) attached (by split maybe) rings higher up on you chains or cables?Does the extra weight go into the realms of
quote:
"My god I can only swing these things for 30 seconds."
Do they really make a huge difference or are they just over rated as I have never tried them? cheers guys peace outgarbo tongue
quote:
"Be the change"Mahatma Ghandi
[This message has been edited by garbo (edited 16 May 2001).]

be excellent to each other: safe:

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
I have been using double headers for some time and they're BRILLIANT!! They are two wicks attached to one chain with splitrings. They are a little heavier than single heads but this slows you down so makes you more graceful and after you become mesmerised by the flames you don't notice the weight.I have also got some twin head uv poi with different coloured tails which are beautiful. To chech them out visit the *Tangled @ Manchester* website.Onelove, Thistlefirepixie smile[This message has been edited by Thistle (edited 16 May 2001).]

Are we nearly there yet?

gάrbǿaddict
521 posts

Posted:
Is that you poiing? they do look wicked.where did you get them from?peace outgarbo tongue------------------
quote:

Dr.NoodleHeadBRONZE Member
170 posts

Posted:
Prob'y being a bit dim but I can't find the website.....could you spell it out in Noddy language?There's a shop in Brighton that sells fire pois with two wicks on each chain - not sure if these are what you're after. I'l try and dig up their address.Noods smile

Fish are just like trees except they move and they're invisible

.draevonBRONZE Member
92 posts

Posted:
Mr Garbo,For our double and triple wicked poi, we use a longer solid core and attach all the wicks to it with screws. They are much heavier (esp truple wicks) ... but with practise and training you can get used to it.It's also nice when people borrow your poi and can't do much because the poi are too heavy for them.Ðraevon

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
for double poi with towel we just wrap a second towel wick around the chain higher up and secure with wire. usually make the second wick smaller than the bottom one. and yup. they're damn heavy when soaked. and you're tempted to use them later in the show as some sort of finale when you're all tired which is stupid. which just means i should practice with them more i guess. on the other hand you can do cool slow stuff with them. its a lot of fire.Pele's big whopping 4 wick jacob's ladder thing is pretty cool too and heavy!Pere

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
Hey Garbo,Well for my double pois I have a small 'tention Titener' I would call it 1/2 way down my chains. (I don't really know what its called, it is two long eye hole screws that come together in a long oval metal thing. I call it a tention Titener. grin They use them to put up Boxing Ring Ropes, and to tighten up long wires, but mine are A LOT SMALLER) Well anyways,I have two langths of chain, one 6 inches the other 8. I pry open the eyes on eather end of the tention titener and connect the chains, short on one side, long on the other.Then Clamp down holes. I wired the Tention buckel to the eye hole so it doesn't unscrew, or loosen while spinning. Then and Wrap it with wicking, so you have a small cilender poiwith two eyeholes on eather end. I put one rap of wire aroud it and tighten it down. (No scews involved,Ohter that the eye screws of coarse. smile) Then I just put a normal poi at the end of the seconed LONGER link of chain, and finger loops on top of the 6er. It doesn't wheigh that much more than my single poi chain! I love them! You have to realize that the inner poi don't go out as quickly as the outer ones do. So i usualy blow them out after a few mints of spinning with the inner ones. I supose you could try to do some fire eatting with them, put them out that way! grinHappy spinning,SkiChristian

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
and i see they have two fingerloops too

gάrbǿaddict
521 posts

Posted:
BLOODY HELL shockedThey're a bit meaty grin . Cheers man just what I have been looking for. This man is a mind reader. smilecheers man will buy some v.soonpeace outgarbo tongue------------------
quote:

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
You beat me to it Pere! Actually the Jacob's Ladder is changed a bit more now and heavier yet because I made different wicks for them, after the bottom one wouldn't stay lit. So, I have these tiered by size poi on it now with the biggest poi at the bottom, and the smallest on top. For stability of the toy and to keep the towel wicks on well I actually use two chains with the poi between them, hooked at their ends to each chain with a clamp. I am making a second on Pere to try to do some "poi" moves but I still primarily use it for wraps, I like that fire all the way around me! smileI've always been a go big or go home kind of person as fire as this is concerned. I never used two wicks or three...I went right from one to four. smile------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...[This message has been edited by Pele (edited 18 May 2001).]

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
After seeing Pele's 4-poi Jacob's Ladder at the ECSF, I knew I had to make some myself.I came up with a design that weekend that is *remarkably* like what Malcom is now selling, but I have been to busy to get out to the store and stock up on hardware bits to actually build them. frown-p.

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
Yes that's me poi-ing on the Tangled website.I made the twin head/tail uv commets myself to my own design (I am VERY proud of them) there are only three sets in existence as far as i know( the othe two belong to Meggaty and Why my partners in fire/poi mayhem). If you would like some Garbo I will make you some as I make & sell different designs of UV poi. You can email me thistlepixie@hotmail.comThe Tangled website address , Noodles, is www.tangled.co.ukPS are we still on for a uk spin meet at Exodus in aug?

Are we nearly there yet?

gάrbǿaddict
521 posts

Posted:
Hey Thistle,yeah the twin poi look great.I will definatly buy some when my finances are better.Exodus is a good idea.where is it?peace outgarbo tongue------------------
quote:

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
It is near Bedford/Luton. Junction 11, 12 or 13 of the M1 August bank holiday weekend. Exact details are only released in the week b4. sch news usually have a map on their website. I will keep you posted.Onelove, Thistlefirepixie:P

Are we nearly there yet?

gάrbǿaddict
521 posts

Posted:
Sounds great,give me a shout when you have more details.thank you Thistlefirepixie.peace outgarbo tongue------------------
quote:

Dr.NoodleHeadBRONZE Member
170 posts

Posted:
Nice one Thistle - got there in the end!Ace poi!! smileNoods

Fish are just like trees except they move and they're invisible

ChloeBRONZE Member
54 posts

Posted:
Yeh, i just made myself a 'quickie' set of double heads by wrapping wick round the cables about a few inches above the other wicks and securing with wire. I'm going to a party in rochester this weekend that should be amazing, and they always have some sort of pyro show, so hopefully i can join in with them and try out my new toy smileChloe

Chloe.
-I'm dancing through the fire just to catch a flame-
Paul Weller

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
My 'Monster poi' use double wicks and are as heavy as all shit. Being a tad over a metre long and using 2, 100mm wicks they give your shoulders , back and arms a damn good workout. All wicks quick-clip on my chains so i only need one set of poi to do all the variations. Saves lugging round 6 sets of poi. They're also 'all chain' so i can still do my body and arm wraps. Very important!One thing i've found is that the distance between the wicks will effect the burn characteristics of the wicks. The closer i put the wicks together, burn times remain the same. Space them well apart and the outside wick will burn out much sooner, mainly due to the speed difference between the 2. You can componsate by making the inside wick smaller in size and capacity. That generally fixes it.A friend of mine uses poi with most of the chain wrapped in wick aswell. Looks amazing, like sheets, but can get a bit hot for the fingies.I love multiple wicks and nearly all of my stuff has 'em. Must be twice the fun or something.C'ya, Chris @ Fireworks.

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
Those are Great Malcolm!!! If i didn't have a pair I would buy those. They look almost exactly like mine, however i have chain.What do you have through the wicks, or is that a secret? SkiChristian

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!