Forums > Technical Discussion > There's such a thing as a swage / crimping tool?

Login/Join to Participate

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
Adam / TwistI just read with great interest your posts in the ball chain thread. You mean to tell me I can buy a swage / crimping tool?Tell me more... please smileI made myself a set of double wicked poi a couple of months ago (my first effort). I have been complimented on their construction on several occasions, which is very empowering when you're a girl with no previous experience in an area considered by many to by the domain of men!When it came to crimping my swages I used a vice. Worked like a dream. But...If there is a specific tool that I could be using I would love to know about it. When I went in search of swages at several hardware shops, many of the assistants had no idea what i was after. I eventually got mine from a sailing supplies store. Where should I get this swage tool from? Will the hardware store guys know what I mean?Cheers,Finn smile

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I got a fairly nice crimping tool, which looks like a set of pliers with wavy jaws, at a fishing-tackle shop. This does a pretty good job.My swaging tool came from Aircraft Spruce (www.aircraftspruce.com), which supplies airplane homebuilders (I am not one, but they just have the most amazing catalog). I also got my cable, nicopress cable sleeves, and a few other goodies from them. My swaging tool is basically a handheld vise with a small circular opening, just big enough for the cable sleeve (there are others that look like giant boltcutters, but are much more expensive). This is a little extra work to use, but the results are very strong and very clean.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the info Adam. I'm gonna hunt for one of these in Sydney very soon. smile

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Finn,Are you still looking for tools?Coming home late last night I saw that Mr Stainless on Victoria Road at Drummoyne has a sign out the front of their shop saying they have swaging equipment. Otto's fishy business is accross the road as well, and are a great source of tools (swivels etc.)Hope that helps smile

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
I had a *lot* of trouble finding a swaging tool here in the US. I spent an entire afternoon hitting about a dozen hardware stores before I finally found one of the large bolt-cutter style. Fortunately at $35 it wasn't really all that expensive, at least not for an admitted tool junkie, and it really does make quick work of the crimping job. If you plan on making lots of cables, I'd recomend hunting one down.-p.

Twistmember
160 posts

Posted:
Heh.. looks like everyone covered it!I would've answered sooner but I was in the desert playing fire all weekend.Lovesses,T.

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the tip Ade. smileI found a crimping tool at Whitworths Marine and Leisure. It was pretty expensive ($130AUD) but if you're making a lot of gear using cable, well worth the investment.In the end I didn't buy the tool. I formed a strategic alliance with the manager of the store! He was stoked that I was using cable, swages and thimbles for something as exotic as fire dancing! He's letting me use the stores crimping tool to make gear whenever I want. Yay!His words...
quote:
Anything for the arts!
Finn smile

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Finn, that's so lovely. cool

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
I know, it made my day smile

o-omember
78 posts

Posted:
you talking about methods of 'closing' a cable loop for poi etc? sorry never heard the word 'swage' before. hmmm.this is what i do, cheap etc and hasn't failed yet:get electrical screw clamp joiners, often called 'chocolate blocks' from your elec supplies / hardware store. cut the plastic insulation off with stan's knife.undew the two screws, slide the cable through, loop it and slide it back thru and then tighten screws. voila. no expensive 'swaging' tool necessary and it looks clean enough. what does that mean...O_O

eliza30stranger
1 post

Posted:
To make this connection correct crimping tool is necessary, it would be good to ensure the quality of a crimped joint is reliable. Appropriate instrument locking mechanism includes a ratchet and is a integral structure. Locking mechanism that ensures the right amount of pressure is applied to crimp.

crimping tool

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Nice necrobump. Also, I find chain infinitely preferable to wire.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland