AjtagThe occasional one...
445 posts

Posted:
i have had a idea 2to make a new toy, i rember reading something about swinging bowls with fuel... and i came up with the idea of using two tin cans (baked bean style) then put holes into the sides, thread a wire through and then, put a little towel into the bottem, add liberal amounts of kero and then SWING, thing is i really dont know if this will work, and am shit scared of the tin breaking or something bad happining, has anyone tried this or even got any ideas to try as i think that will be better as it means that you dont have to spinn off you just squeeze the rag, i think that there are loads of benifits until you hit yourself but i really dont know.. help please smile------------------moo? ... is that it?

There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who dont.
Enjoy - A

Twistmember
160 posts

Posted:
Haven't tried it... but fire in a can will make the can hot... and if you hit yourself with said hot can it will burn a lot quicker than fire...

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
My understanding of the traditional bowls was that they were very shallow, allowing air to pass close by the flame as they are spun arround. I think you probably want something more like a tunafish can, or maybe cut that baked bean can so it is only 1" high. Even then, I have my doubts. But hey, give it shot and report back to us!-p.

Mr SockGOLD Member
94 posts

Posted:
Aren't y'all basically talkin about meteors? They sound cool and apparently (thanks pele) i've just started playin with em. Let me know how things turn out

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted - Martin Luther King Jr.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
So what I know of the history is that they were clay bowls that weren't perfectly round, but more pail shaped, narrower at the base so that there was a greater surface area for flame with a "depth" of fuel. PJ is right the bowls were shallow in my understanding, a bit less than an inch. Still haven't figured out how they stopped the damn things...I always got wet when I did that with pails as a kid.Anyhoo....What about if you actually bolted kevlar in the bottom of a shallow "bowl". No real risks, no worries, just lots of flamey fun for all and as long as you maintain the illusion, you can have people thinking it's a bowl of fuel. winkOh, and no probs MR. Sock....s'what I'm here for! smile------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
One thing I thought of for a while was to build some sort of bowl arround the bottom of my regular poi. This would keep the fuel from flying off the wicks and would eliminate the need to spin out. Potentially great for indoor spinning, and no loss of fuel. I gave up the idea when I realized that any sort of capture method would have to be solid, and would really hurt if it hit you.Anyways, I did come up with a neat idea in th e process. I had this little plastic container with a screw top lid that was just the right size to hole a poi head. So, I just cut a slit from the edge to the center of the lid. The idea is, you unscrew the lid, slide in the cable or chain, screw on the lid, spin out, and then dump the excess fluid back into your fuel jar. How simple and ecconomical! I've discovered that with big, loose wicks, nearly a tablespoon full of fuel is lost by spinning out!-p.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
that is a fucking good idea pj.would work for staffs too - as long as the hole was big enough in the lid.Josh