Page:
EnigmAmember
20 posts

Posted:
We all know of the popular double poi and staff and it's variations, flags, staff with one big flag covering the intire staff, the cross configureation staff,clubs,batons ect..My question is do you have any of your own poi/staff ideas? I would really like to see a compition for new types of poi invented by the user itself the winner would be jugged by creativity and usedge. of his poi invention or modification.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Double poi and staff at the same time is fun...

touchBRONZE Member
61 posts

Posted:
Although this is not a poi invention, you may still be interested!I crave to create a fire staff that is filled with paraffin, sounds dangerous? we`ll see!!!The main point of this would be to have a pump in the centre of it that would send out huge fireballs when squeezed. maybe a little more thought needs to go into it but i`m on the case! maybe a poi relation is possible......seems fire gets a little more insane every time I stop to think about it!------------------peace, love and light*TOUCH*

"Music is my mother...and my father...it is my work and my rest...my blood...my compass...my love" Jeff Buckley.

EyeStormmember
54 posts

Posted:
Sounds like a crazy idea, Touch. Even more crazy than my 90degree angled staff idea.BTW: Please don't rack your brain trying to figure out how my staff idea works. I made one, and I still am having troubles.BTWA: My brother attatched one of my long tennis ball Poi to a broomstick last night. Made it into a (quote unquote) flail. tongue

((m/)) --==EyeStorm==--

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Jacob's Ladder is all mine.Also working on the flaming umbrella thing.I would love to see a flaming kite but can't quite figure how it would work. I am thinking if someone is good with Kites they could really paint some neat designs across a midnight sky.The list goes on but I'll refrain.....point is I seem to look at most things in terms of performing and fire.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
Pele: I was at a party a few weeks ago where a bunch of peeps were really into kite flying. This particular group is really into the Japanese fighting kites that are highly maneuverable. One of the things they did after dark was put bright red and green glow sticks on the wingtips of the kite so they could controll it the dark!I also watched _The Hudsucker Proxy_ a few nights ago and wondered what you might be able to do with fire and a hula hoop...You know you are addicted to poi when everything you see becomes a potential fire toy. ;-)-p.

Stressed Ericmember
15 posts

Posted:
kites ?well i know that you can get lightweight L.E.D nite lites for the delta wing stunt type.as for fire i guess ya could attach some smaller type of fire poi end to some lightweight cable and use the larger power kite design which will have the lift capability to stay airborn(prolly along the lines of an 8foot flexifoil)there are 2 drwbacks thou1) ripstop nylon and flames dont last long2)at over £100 UK per kite its a bit expensive a sacrifice for me to risk letting curiousity getting the better of me.now if somebody had an idea for poi that whistle while twirling id definatly build a set as i love the sound of air passing throu chains Eric

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
you could make the kite out of metal foil?Pere

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
pj....hula hoops have been done by a few people, mostly I have seen ones from Hawaii and I think Fireworks was working on something like it, I'll ask.Along those lines I was thinking something like those Skip-it toys. The ones the kids have around their ankles and they swing it and jump over it. You could do it off your wrist to but when I was in gymnastic ever so long ago I could do some cool stuff with my skip-it lemon. It's a matter of keeping the wick from being destroyed along the ground though, and pretty much always having to use it on pavement.Eric...half way down your chain put one of those whistling pipes and it should work BUT I don't think you'd be able to hera it over the roar of the fire. It's cool to think about though.Pere...you think tin foil would fly? Hmmmmmm...thinking...........I might just have to try, though I seriously suck at kites. Neato! Thanks!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...[This message has been edited by Pele (edited 30 May 2001).]

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
if you wanna hear my crazy idea come over here

You. Its whats for dinner!

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

The wave crashing on the beach

DRAGULAmember
70 posts

Posted:
Tie two glowstix poi together.....
swirl one behind your back and when you get really good at it you can do a lot of cool stuff
but it is proly the same as 90degree staff......

Are you okay?I don't Know.....I'm generally f***ed up so it's kinda hard to gauge-Rainbow Randolph

LapaireSILVER Member
36 posts

Posted:
3-section chucks;
works for most poi and staff moves and then some.

When there is no place that you have decided to call your own then no matter where you go you are always heading home -Soseki

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Hula hoops aren't exactly common, but not that rare. Someone here on HOP (forget who) constructed a reservoir staff, where the entire length was a hollow tube filled with wicking (and laboriously charged with fuel)--he reported that it worked well, was extremely heavy, and burned for over an hour. I've goofed around with flails, but didn't feel they were very interesting. I've also goofed around with double meteors (one in each hand), and think that would be incredibly cool, but would require uber shaolin ninja Cirque du Soleil talents to really make work.

I've seen hoop-batons, which are simply batons affixed into a hoop with a diameter equal to the baton's length. It would be interesting to wrap wicking around the hoop part, but I can see a lot of problems getting burned.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by pj:

I also watched _The Hudsucker Proxy_ a few nights ago and wondered what you might be able to do with fire and a hula hoop...
-p.

That's been done. Saw it at Burning Man. You can either have a second hoop that hangs outside the one that's on your hips, or it can be a hoop with torches sticking out of it.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Lapaire, would such a device not cuase havoc?? oh think of the children!! who's thinking of the children !?!?

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

rftekmember
101 posts

Posted:
adamrice:: do you have maria/melody's email? do they talk about their unique wearable multiwicked procession costumage? i want so much to bust this idea but it's all them and i wouldn't want to steal their thunder. peace yall
hold your breath because these inventions kicksomuchass!

[ 05 October 2002, 08:38: Message edited by: rftek ]

Endermember
68 posts

Posted:
quote:
uber shaolin ninja Cirque du Soleil talents
hehehe

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Nothing radical, and probably not that practical, but I had this idea to make a staff with 3 moveable wicks.

A wick on each end like normal, plus an extra wick on one side. The wicks would be attached to sleeves that could be moved up or down the shaft to change their positions and the patterns.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Axismember
171 posts

Posted:
Try here
What do i win?

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Would a 24 foot flaming puppet surrounded by a ring of fire doing poi count for anything.

Everything except for the poi part is figured out designed and has a parts and tools list. It could easly be brought into reality if anyone would like to give me the 600 bucks it would cost to build such a thing.

Copycatted Pele's Jacob's latters With the obvious differance that mine are 6 feet long with 5 wicks and impossible to weild. LOL

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Meteors with kevlar rope?? Its crazzy

POI THEO(R)IST

.Morph.SILVER Member
addict
669 posts

Posted:
Awesome idea Richie
Either using a length of chain as the centre or fire-resistant gloves......... then get a meteor in each hand, me thinks that'd be cool

djevadmember
2 posts

Posted:
short staff with 2in wicks and then on each side hang 1 1/2 ft of ball chain hooked to cathedral wicks. looks real cool i made one a couple of months ago---- little hard to control sometimes though..

[({PoiToi})]member
98 posts

Posted:
thought of an Idea for a flag-Staff the other day..
have a long staff (5 feet or so) and the outer 1/3 of each end somehow attach a kevlar flag and soak the whole thing in kero and light it upp..
it'd be lotsa flame, but it will be fun!!!!

when i get the $$ i will try it out... maybe with cotton towles instead of kevlar though....

Jon

---Formerly known as RaverRomantic---

AIM: RaverRomantic

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
four and a half foot staff
add two foot chain, and a wick, either end.....

bender tells me its a double flail
i just say its bloody painful....

Currently on the right side up of the world.

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
I've been thinking about making a staff with about half a foot of double kevlar rope coming out of the ends of the staff's flame.

When you stop, you'd get whipped by flame! Ahh... fire

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
Yes, I like that last idea a lot!

Has anyone seriously experimented with a staff with just one wick? I think it looks better than a double ended staff in some ways. Especially when thrown. Double short staffs with just one wick would be quite interesting too. A bit like swinging clubs, I guess.

Fire Astrojax anyone?

Hmm...

We don't have anything firey that bounces yet, do we? Fire bounce juggling balls?

Okay, raking for ideas...
assuming we have three basic ingredients, wicks, chains and sticks...

wick-chain is poi
wick-chain-wick is meteors

wick-stick is club
wick-stick-wick is staff

wick-chain-stick is flail-poi or one ended flail-staff
wick-chain-stick-chain-wick is flail-staff

wick-stick-chain-stick-wick is nunchucks/twisters
stick-chain-stick-chain-stick is 3 point staff (for fire, just add wicks)

Oh, and of course branching or cyclic isomers:

cross staff. Anyone ever tried 3 point staff? i.e. three ends at 60 degrees? like this:
|
/ \

rigid hulahoop (Chain hulahoop? would that work?)

Cube spinning (other shapes? Tetrahedron... Perhaps ones to make mr fuller proud )

things that might be ideas for new toys:

chain-stick-wick
either pointless if the chain is long, or basically functionally the same as swinging clubs if the chain is short. hmm. maybe not.

wick-stick-chain-stick
One ended fire-Nunchaku, basically.

wick-chain-wick-stick-wick-chain-wick
Doubley firey flail staff.

stick-wick-chain-wick
One ended firey flail staff... this has potential perhaps? I think it's pretty different from any other toy; a poi on the end of a staff. Could be some interesting moves there..?

The main problems with new toys seem to be:

people can't generally handle three things, or two things if they're different, so that limits a lot. (obvious exceptions juggling, and various experiments mixing staff and poi (with varying success))

if something has chains at the end, it might as well be meteors.

if something has chain at a "handle" end, generally it might as well be poi.

We either need to come up with some new concepts entirely, or accept that we need to try and do much more complex things that we're used to.

...I still think my gyroscope juggling clubs are a good idea...

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

n8xxSILVER Member
11 posts

Posted:
ive made a pair of chains out of thick surgical rubber tubing w/ wix at the ends. if you go slow you have small circles. fast and you have huge circles when you swing. they're pretty fun. and the rubber does melt because the flame is always moving.

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
The puppet idea is basicly a super complex assembly of staff's connected by chains covered in wicks... Can a staff poi combo get any more complex? Lol even the head of the puppet is an advanced form of a three section staff. While the base is a Cross.. LOL Take the basic concepts of fire building and run away with it.

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

Sailor25member
16 posts

Posted:
Just another idea to throw out, I took my poi, and epoxied the last foot or so of chain leading up to the wick solid. Basically it allows me to have regular Poi except when I want to grab ahold of something in order to do blows. Insatead of having them hang off of my hands.
I used a special epoxy that is heat hardened, and pretty much immune to fire. It is a little hard to find, but I got it from a friend who works at a shiphard making large super-yachts. Also since I don't use handles at all, just strait chain it can be a little hard on the hands. But a good pair of glows works well for this, as well as allowing you to vary the leingth of the chain you are spinning with.

Sailor25

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
This isnt really poi Related but a fire skipping rope would be cool. I was thinking it could be platted kevla or some thing. or it could be cabel with bits of kevlar rapped around it in various places.

another idear i had was to get those thingies that you can get to put your keys on. they have a string that retracts in to a little case like a tape mesuere.
I was thinking two of these with small objects attached would be like porta poi that you could take any were

And yet another idear i had and have made is disco ball poi. i got two of those sryrofom disco balls and atached thim to my chains they look really cool when the light hit them.

missie

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

Page: