touchBRONZE Member
61 posts

Posted:
Could anybody suggest a type of dance to learn so I can display my fullest emotion in my performances.Thank ya`ll------------------peace, love and light*TOUCH*

"Music is my mother...and my father...it is my work and my rest...my blood...my compass...my love" Jeff Buckley.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I suggest you try what works most for you. Not to be sassy, but I think there's a lot to be gleaned from all forms of movement (dance, martial arts, etc.). I immediately think of tai chi and modern dance. Both build a certain sense of flow as well as give a good sense of body awareness. But try out whatever movement intrigues you though and see what sticks.Diana

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Of course I agree with Diana, as usual. It's a personal thing. you might also want to try tumbling or belly dancing/snake dancing.I do hip hop moves alot, and some ballet.THis raises a question...as hokey as it is..has any one ever tried any of the old break dancing moves from the 80's with poi?SOme of those moves seem like they would really translate over well.*Pele imagines someone spinning on their head, poi flying out at the sides* smile

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
wel - I guess this is a bit old hat...but I would *love* to see the cross between an accomplished Ballet dancer and a poi'er smileall that flow and the amazing attention to form...ahhh... smileJosh

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I love seeing is kidz playin with glow sticks and those "old" breakdance moves. I don't know about that and poi. It's a good image though. What I'd love to see capoiera (sp?) and fire, maybe staff. I've seen capoiera where they bang short sticks together. Maybe a torch routine with than. Meow, so many ideas. Diana

mrhairymember
10 posts

Posted:
I recommend ballet.My experience is that it's given me more awareness from head to (nicely pointed) toe.The side effect is that I prefer to spin to classical music.Dance is a very personal thing. I've tried Jazz and Tap but found ballet simply felt more me.Have fun.------------------Don't dream it, be it.

Don't dream it, be it.

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
Flash Fire and I are starting capoeira classes as soon as we can get our act together - within the next couple of weeks. We're both really keen to integrate capoeira's free flowing, acrobatic spins and turns with poi and double staves.We'll let you know how it goes.Finn smile

Mr SockGOLD Member
94 posts

Posted:
Accually, almost all the break dancers i know use glowsticks too. It does in fact translate rather well, plus glowsticks on strings make opening up a circle a WHOLE lot easier! You know what I really want to see? Someone figure skating with poi. That'd be crazy!------------------"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted" - Martin Luther King Jr.

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted - Martin Luther King Jr.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Mr Socks...it's been done. Someplace like Bush Gardens or some other weird amusement type place had this really small indoor ice show...this guy came zipping about swinging something. Then he did a breathe and took off. My grams told me about it, my aunt took photo's and both of them thought I could do better (I used to figure skate too, I was a *really* active child) and wanted me to get a job there!Anyway...I would like to see it done adeptly...like Yamaguchi or Lapinski style.Anyway, it was somewhere near Ft. Myers, Florida. ------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele

AmberGOLD Member
48 posts

Posted:
i think bellydancing is great with poi.i have been bellydancing for years and i just picked up poi and it all just seemed so natural. all the good twirlers i have seen always have great body movement.

naivevanguardMember
2 posts

Posted:
I have been toying with the idea of trying poi while on roller blades. I'm not sure about the movement elements and it would be kind of crazy if I took a head dive while on fire. BUt If I get the chance I think I'll give it a shot.

Also i have a dance background and one of the thing I have tried is something I learned called script writing. Basically you set a list of rules for a performance. Like drawing a circle on the ground in chalk. When you are inside the chalk you can only do moves that are duplicated side to side front to back. When you are outside of the circle you can only do moves that are uneven in some way. You can make these rules as open or close as you want but just write them down. Then you can see what rules make you have a certain movement then you can tie them together and you have the basis of a dance composition no matter what kind of movement you are doing.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Amber, I've been teaching tribal poi for about two or three years now..a combo of tribal bellydance and poi, complete with cues for assigned moves.
Much fun! wink

Pele