PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
It was suggested a while ago that use of toches/sticks would help learn moves. I had some moderate success with this on a few moves but let it go for just plain practicing. Now there are moves that I really think it could help me learn, as well as I think it would help straighten my wrists which became weak and hurt recently.However, when I pick anything up to even begin training this way I subconcously begin to use them like a staff (finger twirling) and my wrists seem to, hermm searching for a word, tight for swing like poi.Are there any tricks to this and are there any other methods to cross training...other than simply practice (stating the obvious). I am not looking for a "quick fix" but more of a different perspective for my body to take, if that makes sense.Thanks to all and I know Diana will post something nice for me to bite into so thanks Diana wink ------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hmmmm, I'm trying to get what you're after here. (My brain is a little dazed.) When I think of wrist strengthening, I think of chan-ssu exercises from qi gong that I learned from tai chi. Try simply rotating the wrists. Elbows bents so forearms are parallel to the floor. Rotate inward 20 times or so, then outward the same amount. There's also good finger exercises. Tiger's Paw involved bending the fingers at the next joint out from the hand and out again in the same posture as the wrist exercises. Tiger's Mouth starts with the fingers bent as in Tiger's Paw and bending the fingers to a fist and back. Hope this helps,Diana

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
It might not be all that pertinent, or it might be...I reckon the most flexibility with strength (in the wrist area) I've ever seen is possessed by Arnis / Kali stick fighters.If you could find someone to teach you Kali before too long you will have very strong AND very flexible wrists.Other martial arts which involve finger / wrist / arm locks, throws and restraints give you very strong and flexible wrists.I know several wrist stretches but I have a hard enough time getting students to do them properly while I'm demonstrating it (its a bit of a contortion)...hmm I'll try...just for you Pele smile1) up / down wrist stretch. take one fist, and cup it in the other as if you were going to do that traditional sorta bow that a lot of martial artists do. One fist in the other hand with the outer fingers resting on the top of the fist hand. Then open the fist so the fingers on that hand are pointing straight down. Slide the other hand along the top of the fist hand (although it isnt a fist anymore smile) til the heel of the top hand is resting on the top of the lower hand, 1/2 way between the knuckles and the wrist. Bend the fist hand wrist so that you can feel a stretch in the top of that wrist. then apply pressure with the other hand. If It hurts release some tension. thats one.2) side to side stretch...this is too hard Pele..I dont know the medical terms for the movements... frownAsk an Aikido instructor to teach you some wrist stretches...they will know more than I do. smileI did try smile1/2 points ok?Josh seeya,Josh

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Way more than half points to you and Diana both Josh! Thanks, and I understood it.So that takes cares of that portion of my question...now, what about using stick to train on those hard to reach moves.Let me explain my condition...I have mini stress fractures in my wrists and every now and then the muscles get strained from trying to keep up with all I do and hold my wrists together at the same time. I am having issues with this now. It hurts and I want to not only strengthen my wrists but perhaps find another way to train on new moves that would keep the chains from wrapping so much...and someone once suggested torches, so I was thinking maybe sticks of some sort?I will most definately give those exercises a go though. Thanks heaps! smile And Josh, you are so sweet!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
When you say torches, do you mean what we call clubs? Or something else?Finn and I have been going to firefly workshops, and they feel strongly on the use of clubs first. "if you can do clubs you can do anything" and the clubs definately use your wrist much more, i find that my wrists do get sore after a club session. But Im not sure if this is what you mean?You dont want to at any stage over use your wrists and risk more permanent damage.

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

melissaBRONZE Member
156 posts

Posted:
ok, here is a stretch i learned in aikido.i think this may be the side to side stretch1. hold your right hand so that you are looking at your palm2. put your left hand behind your right so that you can kind of see the palm of the left also3. take the fingers of your left hand and grip the base of your right hand 4. take your left thumb and place it between your pinky and ring finger knuckles5. now use your left hand to twist your right hand so that your right thumb is pointed away from you6. use your left hand(still gripping right) to slowly apply pressure counterclockways while also pulling downwards towards your bellybutton. 7. if you feel a stretch etending from your wrists to your hands your are doing it right!hope this helps, usually it feels good when combined with shaking your hands out a bunch like you're trying to dry them without a towel-melissa[This message has been edited by melissa (edited 01 June 2001).]

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
To strengthen the wrists, one of the best exercises is to attach a ring shaped weight (not too big) to a string. Then attach the other end of the string to the middle of a piece of wood/metal tubing (preferably cylindrical - tho not essential, about 1" diameter).Hold the pipe/stick/whatever with the string hanging down between each hand and wind the string/weight up then unwind it. Do it both ways and repeat. If you have done it right after a few winds YOU CAN FEEL THE BURN! as they say smile

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut