Forums > Technical Discussion > Breakdancing and Poi Battles

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Twistmember
160 posts

Posted:
I noticed something was said about breakdancing in the "dance" thread...Breakdancing (B-Boying)is big in Seattle right now. We had a nationwide competition a few weeks ago and it was truly one of the most amazing things I have ever seen. I have NEVER in my life been motivated to jump out of my seat cheering at any sporting event, but I was on my feet every three minutes at Lords of the Floor.It was the format of the competition, more than anything else, that really got me. There were teams of two that essentially "battled"... each dancer doing moves, primarily, to outdo the other. I saw some of the most amazing acrobatics I have ever seen... I don't know if they's be interested, but I decided I'd probably hide my poi from these guys.I've started working a lot of ground work into my poi routine (i.e. corkscrews down into quicksteps over the chains, hand plants, and ground spins). I think the two person battle format would translate well to poi... anybody have any idea what I'm talking about... think we could ever find a sponsor for a (inter)national poi battle?

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
Us Falmouth types have been working on fight sequences, poi vs poi, poi vs staff and staff vs staff. It looks cool, but takes mucho practise.

Battle poi sounds interesting, but i experience the same fears as Mr Durbs about the competitiveness of poi.

devil

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

FlamingOberonGOLD Member
ohm mani padme hum
134 posts

Posted:
my troupe has done a lot of staff vs staff, and we put a lot of work into it and they end up looking amazing. We cant get anything else to look good though, granted we have never spent a lot of time on it... HAve you guys gotten poi/poi or poi/staff fights to look cool? To everyone? Or just to other firedancers who know the work that goes in to them?

And, in reality, i think that any sort of competition, save for fight-to-the-death-gladiato- battles, if they were to exist, could only be scored based on audience reaction... and they shouldnt ever get TOO competetive, and i think that if audience is judgin this will help... if this were to happen, after a while the audience would get smarter so the audience would have a better understanding of standard moves, filler moves, the difficutly level of tricks, and inventive ways to reinterpret tricks (since no one is really making any new tricks). competition pushes people to bring new things to the table... but i really think it would HAVE to remain friendly and pseudo-informal, i worry about there being judges with point cards removing the reason so many of us got into this in the first place...

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
But what do people who dont want to compete have to lose? They can still go on poi'ing however they want to.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Flameoz do a fireclub 'battle' to Chinese style music with a fair amount of leaping/clacking and some handstands over another bod... looks well cool, especially as sychnronised....

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
Written by: FlamingOberon

HAve you guys gotten poi/poi or poi/staff fights to look cool? To everyone?

Kinda. Wraps (poi on staff) look ok, as do wraps on the other persons body. Brad and I have also been working on halo rolling a staff from one of us to the other (down the arms). Jump sequences (hi/lo and left/right) look ok, but need to be practised hard to get the timing right.

(since no one is really making any new tricks).

Aren't they? Have you watched Oli? smile

i worry about there being judges with point cards removing the reason so many of us got into this in the first place...

I have to agree here. Is poi really about being better than someone else? Does it matter? Doesn't flow (which is, i assume, unmeasurable) count more highly than moves and tricks?

Still, i am intrigued.

devil

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

FlamingOberonGOLD Member
ohm mani padme hum
134 posts

Posted:
i think some of the coolest double pou moves wouldnt fit into a fight sequence.. aka standing face to face and doing anything around each other, such as butterfly or weave or halos.. the first two i have seen....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(since no one is really making any new tricks).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aren't they? Have you watched Oli? smile

sorry, i was referring to mortals Oli, once the poi are in his hands, can hardly be described as thus...

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
I like flow. As I'm sure you know. But I still think it would be fun ubbrollsmile It is just looking at a different aspect...... either the crowd-pleasing-performing side, or the badass-mindbending-moves side, depending on how it's structured. All good fun imo. smile

Oli = *drool* ubblove
There's some more Oli action posted in his vid thread - old stuff from new year but pwetty all the same.

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

EpsilonKiasNote to self... Fur + Fire = Hurt.
107 posts

Posted:
I dont really like battling when it's done outside of bboying and popping... But thats my thoughts.

I poi to outdo myself... not other people

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
On the whole poi/breakdance thing (sorry, this is a little off topic), has anyone played around much with combining poi/staff with break? I've recently taken it up, and the only thing i can think of is staff with some throws while doing 3/6 step. but then, i dont know how to do much outside of that.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Er - I can do backglides whilst BTB weaving smile
but it looks a bit daft...

Burner of Toast