Forums > Social Chat > Can working out adversely affect your poi-ing skills?

Login/Join to Participate

WuGgaRoOmember
123 posts

Posted:
yeah....i work out on a regular basis...not just to keep in shape...but to get strong...now i was wondering if it could screw up your poi-ing skills....cuz i figure...if you get stronger..itll take less energy to complete a move...i say this cuz today...i was spinning like i regulary do..i was doing a fountain..then they glowsticks hit eachother and got me on the hip...and it was one of the only times that i actually needed to stop swinging cuz i got hit..so is that from working out...or what?

Follow Wuggarooism10)Dons't cheateth on thee's significant other9) If thou seest a pig that resembles thee's friend...dont eateth the pig...perhaps it is thee's friend8) If thou talkest shit..thou is a pansy7) Don't buttith into conversations for it will be over thous head6) Dont let stupid comments go unpunished they can only leadest to thous anyurysms5) Dont lie to your friends4) Thou areest what thou arest don't change thou for anyone 3) Masturbation isnt a crime2) When a horse comes up to thou and sayest baaa thou must run!1) Be excellent to eachother

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Yahoo Wugaroo! Kudo's to you and all others who have a great topic line that describes the content perfectly...u da man (hopefully)... winkAs to working out...This is a general question that relates to all physical activities, although highly repetitive technical skills such as poi and other manipulation arts tend to exacerbate the problem.If your workout includes a lot of musclegroups that you use during other activities, and it isn't well rounded, you will likely create an imbalance in the strength of muscles. (I'm using the wrong terminology here) For example, when bench pressing, if you push up hard on the weight and let it fall down again afterwards, you are only working the pushing action (one-sided workout), whereas if you let down slowly in a controlled fashion, you are working both aspects of the motion.The more one-sided work you do, and the less stretching and aerobic work you do, the higher the probability your other physical pastimes will suffer.Just look at a rower and a weightlifter - both extremely fit professional athletes with extremely different physiques, showing that different muscles groups are used in the different disciplines.Strength isn't necesarily good, if your muscles are working against each other, or if muscles that work together have one group that is disproportionally stronger than the other.The more serious your workout, the more you should fit it in with your other physical pastimes, and vice-versa. Preferably discuss it with a sports-trainer who can organise the right routine for you, and keep you poi/etc and your workouts on even footings.I would have to say aerobic classes like Step & TaiChi are usually (it depends on the workout and the person and their discipline)much better for aerobic athletes such as poiers, and Weight training is better for strength athletes like weightlifters and shock putters.A mix of both (i.e Javelin or NFL) is usually the best course of action and it may take some time to figure out what is best for you.Kudo's again for the great topic line!!Cheers------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
Weight training i would think could only improve any physical activity that you do. Obviously when you lift your body is going to go through changes be it size of your muscles or strength. It could be compared to when you were younger and hitting your growth spurts. Your body and muscles will have to learn to adjust and adapt which i have no worries that they will. I have seen some big dudes spin glowsticks.Buuuuuut i think youre just reading into it too much. Youre going to have times when they smack together, there will be times they smack you. I went through a spell when i nver really messed up. While practicing i would get tangled every so often but i didnt hit myself or tie them in knots or anything. I was just in a zone i guess. Then i have had days when i cant keep from smacking myself. Ill hit myself so much, ill just drop them and come back later. It happens.Dont worry about your lifting. Im pretty confident that its not going to have adverse effects on your spinning.Keep lifting and spinning and im sure they will gel.Super'------------------"When a Man Lies He Murders Some Part of the World These Are the PaleDeaths Which Men Miscall Their Lives All this I Cannot Bear to Witness Any Longer Cannot the Kingdom of Salvation Take Me Home"

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Actually, if you get stronger, it won't take less energy to complete a move, you'll just have more of a surplus. But the thing is, it takes very little muscle strength to do any poi moves, and in fact, the better you get, the less you'll need--your motions become more subtle. Manhandling your chains will cause more collisions.I don't think that any kind of workout would hurt poi skills, unless you wound up losing flexibility.I do think aerobic workouts ("cardio" to you gym rats) are beneficial for poi. I know that some of my non-athletic, smoking fire-friends find a five-minute set to be too much.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Superman...Superman...Superman (shakes his head sadly tongue)Talk to any gym instructor or sports physio. "bigger muscles" can have a hugely detrimental effect on physical activity...and it can also have a greatly beneficial effect.What people need to be aware of is that 'workouts' are as varied and disntinct as we are as people. If you are an 85 yearold with heart problems and you benchpress 80 kilos a day for a week, you are more likely to have a heart attack even though your muscles are bigger in your arms. However a low impact aerobic activity such as walking or swimming can drop the likelyhood by hundreds of percent.Muscles don't necessarily mean health, you need to look at each individual case, and this scenario is also applicable to workouts and how they relate to other physical activities.But don't take my word for it, ask a doctor, physio, trainer, chinese health professional, coach, martial arts instructor and even your local health authority. They will all agree with each other, (about the only thing they ever will agree on).------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz[This message has been edited by Charles (edited 19 September 2001).]

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Training weights will make you better at training weights.Twirling poi will make you better at twirling poi.The rest is dependent on how much you do both things.If you do a 30 minute intense poi session with decent heavy poi before your gym session - and after wards, you will be doing a good specific warm up, and a good specific cool down, while also retaining the range of movement necessary to do your moves..I think you will find that as you get bigger you will need heavier poi - but its all good.As long as you keep doing poi and pushing yourself to retain your flexibility you will be ok. weight training tends to reduce your flexibility, unless you specifically built flex training into your fitness programme.what Charles said about developing opposing muscle groups equally is also very important - although the example wasnt quite as accurate as it could be.ie to work the opposing muscle group to your bench press, you have to do something where you are lifting towards your chest from the ground. just lowering it controlled is still working the same lifting muscles.Josh

WuGgaRoOmember
123 posts

Posted:
awesome advice dudes...but yeah...ive been working out for a while...like a year and a half appx...but it was on and off...and ive been doing poi for a year...on and off..lol...but now im focused...i do poi everyday...same with weight lifting..i do chest n triceps one day... gback n bisecps the next...i dont even bother with legs...cuz im lazy...lol...and with poi..i just put on my headphones go in the yard and go nuts for bout 1/2 an hour or so....hoopefully i wont stop poi-ing again...cuz i am close to getting the six beat weave smile ...took me aa year but im almost there...lol

Follow Wuggarooism10)Dons't cheateth on thee's significant other9) If thou seest a pig that resembles thee's friend...dont eateth the pig...perhaps it is thee's friend8) If thou talkest shit..thou is a pansy7) Don't buttith into conversations for it will be over thous head6) Dont let stupid comments go unpunished they can only leadest to thous anyurysms5) Dont lie to your friends4) Thou areest what thou arest don't change thou for anyone 3) Masturbation isnt a crime2) When a horse comes up to thou and sayest baaa thou must run!1) Be excellent to eachother

Dark Starmember
5 posts

Posted:
I've been doing weights for a few years now (on and off) and I've found that this has had a slightly detrimental effect on my poi abilities. Although I stretch each muscle group before I train it, I've found that I've lost some flexibility. This isn't a problem for most moves but I really notice it whenever I do any behind-the-back moves. I can only do a few BTB repititions before my arms feel really tired from the strain of forcing them together behind my back.

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
what does a 80 yr old man benchpressing have to do with spinning poi?I lift all the time, and i have been training in Martial arts for almost 12 yrs. I can do the splits in three directions and put my foot over my head. So the wieght training hasnt effected my MA Skill, why should it effect me spinning a shoelace with a 1/2 pound glowstick on the end of it??I lift to grow. I bench 275 and squat 350. And i spin just fine. In general, someone that takes care of their body and eats right, is healthy with the exception of the occasional family history of heart disease, high blood preesure an what not.keep lifting. make sure to stretch before and after every workout, keep spinning, and brush after every meal..and youll be fine"S" ------------------"When a Man Lies He Murders Some Part of the World These Are the PaleDeaths Which Men Miscall Their Lives All this I Cannot Bear to Witness Any Longer Cannot the Kingdom of Salvation Take Me Home"

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

WuGgaRoOmember
123 posts

Posted:
hey superdude...is that ur max or ur rep??

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Oops, I guess I better not argue too much Superman, might get my *** kicked...But seriously, everyone is different, as is every workout and the final effects. My friend and I used to work out at university, and though we did the same routines, had completely different results.I would really bulk up, much faster than him, but if I didn't do regular PDF stretches, I'd also lose heaps of flexibility.My friend, however, had very little visual difference, he ended up being able to do heavier weights than me, but got p***ed coz I'd bulk with the same programme and lighter weights than him. He didn't notice any flexibility change, good or bad...What I'm trying to say is that annoying answer "It all depends".Wugaroo's poi might benifit from his workouts, it might get worse and it might not have any effect. it depneds on the way his body is, the type of workout, the way he does poi and several other factors, such as his job and other stuff we can only guess at.I'm pleased to hear your workouts are benficial and that you retain your felixibility (may be your workout as much as yourself).I'm insanely jealous of you (and/or your workout routine). Myself, I don't have the necesary 3 hours perday to do a 1.5 hour building regime and a further 1.5 hours of PDF's to keep my flexibility...Kudos to you guys, you're luckier than you might think...------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

WuGgaRoOmember
123 posts

Posted:
man...dudes i like totally over reacted...it must have been cuz i played tackle football the day before..AND i worked out...so like every body part was more or less sore...thats prolly why i wasnt too good..but after i poied for a while...i kiked major butt yet again...lol...so...i guess i overreacted...and BTW charles..ive got the same problem as ur friend...i CANT bulk up...for my age...i think i do a lot..and my friends on the schools football team do about as much as me..but they r huge...ohwell...i rather be defined anyways...lol..oh...btw...poi-ing...really helps get over soreness...like i remembered i used to work out..my pecks and my back were sooooooree....but after i poied...i felt much better...prolly cuz the muscles arent as tense anymore...well anyways...keep responding...i dont wanna put an end to this threat yet smile

Theomember
19 posts

Posted:
ok, sweet. smileAside from staff spinning i am first and foremost a powerlifter. I've been lifting for 2.5 years and spinning for about one and i've found both activities compliment each other. Ok, one thing i don't like talking about is my achievements smile but, since i hold a couple of national and several provincial titles i have to admit i'm pretty musckly... (not necessarily a good thing)Yeah, it all depends on what sort of training you want to do, eg. Speed/Endurance/Raw Strength/Bulk (if muscle size equalled muscle strength then then bodybuilders would be stronger than powerlifters and powerlifters would be as big as bodybuilders) I've found that i'm able to generate a lot of power into a spin altho i've compromised my speed somewhat, which doesn't matter too much since i think fluidity is more important and speed will come later naturally. I also have to stretch throughout the day otherwise I'll end up like Mr. New Zealand who when I let play with my staff could hardly reach behind his back to pass from one hand to the other. hmm, robots don't make good spinners.I think if you really want to calibrate your body for optimal twirling pleasure smile it would be best to have a light-medium weights programs with lots of cardio to build a foundation with a good speed/strength/endurance ratio, which you'd use in conjunction with spinning. well, that's my opinion.PS. My National Benchpress Champs are on the same day as Nu Begginings, one of the biggest outdoor raves of the year on Oct 6th. Only two weeks away!!If i win my division and break another record the only drugs i'll need to take will be endorphins :P

That is perfect. This is perfect. Perfect comes from perfect. Take perfect away from perfect, the remainder is perfect. May peace and peace and peace be everywhere. :)