foobaaspinning for ages
125 posts

Posted:
Is...why are so many sprirtually aware people all attracted to playing with fire and raving?? Oh I can understand a connection with the rave scene...but the fire??Any theories??Ok I am new here...but I do like the feel of this place already!! wink

fe fi foo fun

SorchaTheFlamingmember
235 posts

Posted:
I have always liked fire for one reason or another and my family is openly wiccanto me its a way of meditation it just sucks me right into it and i feel like im not there anymore if that makes any sence.i just love the feeling... plus it looks really neati also think that human kind has this odd fasination to control the elements and everyone seems to have there favorites..thats what i have notices anywaysmaybe im just a woowoo girlie that has to many crystals..------------------A Faeries Heart Beats Fierce and Free!!!!!

Teach tolerance, not competition.
Send food, not bombs.

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
See then i would think a spiritually aware person would be more obviously connected with fire as it is an element of nature . . . . than with the rave scene.

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
foobaa - I'd love for you to clarify the statement about ravers = spiritual. I have little to no contact with the rave scene and am genuinely interested in how you've made that connection.------------------"she dances in a ring of fire and throws off the challenge with a shrug"

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

foobaaspinning for ages
125 posts

Posted:
Well flash, now that you mention it...I am not too sure how I got to that conclusion. I think it has to do with a lot of my friends that are into the rave scene. They in general tend to be more experiental/open minded people, and so are much more open to spirtual ways of thinking. This is as opposed to a lot of other people I know who the only world that they know is the one that is right in front of their nose...and that is where their minds stop. This is just my personal feeling, and I am sure that there are others out there that would disagree.

fe fi foo fun

foobaaspinning for ages
125 posts

Posted:
Oh I must just add that I do know a lot of very spritual people who would never go anywhere near a rave.....

fe fi foo fun

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
hmm..I guess it would depend on what you classify as a 'rave' scene. 'Cause that could really mean anything to a lot of people in Brisbane.."oh yeah man.. I have my whistle and I'll blow it till I turn blue ... "I took 5 points in half an hour!" Although I suppose the people I'm talking about spend hundreds on their clothes just to pass out on the bathroom floor.erk a bit sidetracked and pessimistic there..Its attractive (to my mates) especially cause when your outdoors and the drumming's going off there's so much space to just dance and fling trippy things around smile It's too late to be on track frown

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

MiSsFrOgmember
187 posts

Posted:
Ravers+Drugs+fire=lightshow grin grin grin grin grin grin---erica grin_____________________-The poison got me in the music got me hooked"Come with me to a land of fantasy, take my hand down into techno wonderland" grin

Its not easy being green....

RavingLunaticmember
286 posts

Posted:
Well.. the fire, I can see spiritual people being attracted to that..as for raving? well.. there are 2 kinds of ravers in my opinion, the mature people there for the music and the people, and the immature people there for the drugs.and spiritual people love music, and a lot of them love drugs too, so, there ya go!personally I haven't been to any raves recently, I kinda got bored of them once I had heard every record of all the local DJs around here. The only one I went to was shambhala which was amazing, a 3 day hippie fest near Nelson BC.anyway, I'm rambling now so I'll shut up. smile

~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
true ravers are to music & danceas true POI spinners are to fire.be it fire or dance/music, to the respected groups it is a way of life. I think you made a good connection. Spirituality doesnt always have to be about earth, fire, water, dirt, nature ir whatever. I feel it has to do with what moves youpersonally, deep inside, and you pick a medium to celebrate it.fire is an easy one to associate with spirituality though, because it is so primal and earthy.but what do i know? [image]https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/images/icons/grin.gif">Superman------------------[/image]He Murders Some Part of the World These Are the PaleDeaths Which Men Miscall Their Lives All this I Cannot Bear to Witness Any Longer Cannot the Kingdom of Salvation Take Me Home"

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

N8member
336 posts

Posted:
Sigh....For pete sake people,Raves DO NOT equal drugs. frownI have tried to explain this to so many people, there are just as many drugs at a rave than there are at any other live music event- they're just more powerful.As for spirituality sake, yes. The true raver, the one that comes for the music and not the drugs, has an overwhelming connection with spinning, and with the surroundings.I say this because I feel like the Martian and I fit the above description, and we have found deep peace within the combination of raves and spinning. A peace only matched by spinning fire.Also, like I just said, I speak from some one who spins fire.I'm sure that none of us doubt the spiritual connection with spinning fire, but lets not brush the ravers off into some sterotype of x-heads and mdma addicts that like the way the trails of a glowstick look while they are rollin'Its a sad sterotype I have been fighting with for years now, and It wouldn't bother me so much if I wasn't such a spiritual person.Not to sound angry, just discouraged by some of the posts I'm reading... frown------------------Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

RavingLunaticmember
286 posts

Posted:
Well.as an experienced concert goer and raver, I can tell you that there are more drugs at raves. at least where I live.you can get pot and booze and maybe coke at your standard concert.at a rave, you can get anything you want. Also the proportion of people on drugs is higher at a rave. (not including marijuana, every concert I have ever went to had been hotboxed and everyone is stoned, but that hardly counts)raves do not equal drugs, and every raver is not a drug user. but a lot are, and stereotypes are made for a reason.

~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

Draco Dominusmember
14 posts

Posted:
DAMN RIGHT!!!! I go out clubbing every weekend in England. I listen to Trance and Hard House, But I dont drink alcohol and i dont do drugs.I`ve never done any drugs `cept weed and i quit that after about a year.I think the reason some spiritual people go to raves is cuz of the atmosphere. If you are sensitive to the spiritual side of life, you want to put yourself among people with Friendly spirits, instead of oppressive mean spirited arseholes. and there is no denying that if u go to a rave with hundreds or friendly people, then that feeling of unity is unrivelled by anything. (Exept perhaps sex).------------------Respect the flames, for from them emerges heat, and light, let this Light guide you, and this heat warm your heart, from fire comes Life.

Respect the flames, for from them emerges heat, and light, let this Light guide you, and this heat warm your heart, from fire comes Life.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
please keep this thread on-topic.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

N8member
336 posts

Posted:
Ah the voice of reason...Foobaa- this was a cool thread, but one that's been adressed inderectly in a few other threads. You'll find a lot of us veterans (that is if I'm considered one by the rest of them...) spin poi purely for the joy of the art, and it take a good deal of spirituality to enjoy some types of art, especially this one. If you're having trouble connecting with the fire aspect of poi. I suggest you try it grin I'm sure the connection will be quite apparent.Hope this post was more to your liking flash (warm grin) wink ------------------Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
Hmm, it doesnt sound as if foobaa has trouble, but has just noticed the coincidence that they have found that people who spin fire are generally pretty spiritually aware.I cannot put a reason on this, from my experience i have found that fire dancers where i am from generally stem from "hippy" type communities, which are pretty synonomous with spirituality.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
splat made a good point about defining what raves are...I mean, I go out to outdoor psytrance parties all the time, but I would be shot down into a million pieces if I called those gatherings a rave... Like shambala - there's no way you could call that a rave.The parties I go to are very spiritual. Don't get me wrong, we don't sit in a circle calling the corners, but there is a definite connection with each other, our surroundings and the earth.------------------"she dances in a ring of fire and throws off the challenge with a shrug"

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

Gr33nmember
1 post

Posted:
Oh god..no one here likes drugs? What kind of horrible people are you? Where did you grow up and what's wrong with you? This seriously shocks me..------------------Smoke a blunt.

Smoke a blunt.

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
Try doing a search on drugs in the forums gr33n, im sure no one here wants to see yet ANOTHER drug debate start on this thread.------------------Frenzie - Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -https://wickeffect.cjb.net**Updates to page coming shortly**

foobaaspinning for ages
125 posts

Posted:
I think that one thing that does attract a lot of people back to dance parties again and again is the friendly atmosphere...which might just have something to do with some of the drugs people are on....but the feeling is one of connection. Everyone is having fantastic time (drugs or not) and loving the fact that so many others can feel so good at the same time!! A raising of the group feeling of joy....I think that the spinning and twirling is also linked by the rhythm thing. You are able to almost "trance" to the spinning, like trancing on the dance floor...you are not thinking, but just doing and being...a state of meditation maybe...even if it is induced by twirling or bass beats...------------------fe fi foo fun

fe fi foo fun

foobaaspinning for ages
125 posts

Posted:
Ooooh...howd that get in there 1 and a half times??Oh N8, I have been spinning just for the spinning for a long time...I have not been to a rave in about a year...just not in the right places....but I am hanging out for a good thrash to some decent beats!!

fe fi foo fun

Twirl Girlmember
14 posts

Posted:
Agree!! There is such a high percentage of people in the rave scene who are far more willing to experience new things than the average person... I guess theyre just more open minded about most things, including spirituality. Same applies to fire I think, if your willing to play with fire, and take that risk, why not apply that way of thinking in other areas of your life.I also strongly believe that fire & poi do something to you...dont know what yet, but every time I light up I get energised...but then maybe thats just the adrenelin?------------------Lisa

Lisa

N8member
336 posts

Posted:
Word Foobaa, word. smile

Draco Dominusmember
14 posts

Posted:
I spin some poi which I originally made for a laugh cuz one of my friends was teaching himself to spin and we thought it woild be amusing to try and learn together, and as a result we have become closer friends. Although that may sound off thread again I think it represents the fact that sometimes, something like poi or music can help to improve your your spiritual conection with other people, and therefore make you more aware of your spiritual side, so possibly spiritual people arnt atracted to raves or spinning, in some cases it is the spinning or the raves which create the spirituality of the person, which may explain why Foobaa said that he/she (no offence intended its just that at the moment i dont know the sex of most of you. Im male, by the way)had spiritual people who would never go near a rave, and why some people at raves are complete f^*kheads who have less spirituality than a pile of dung.-p.s please excuse any errors in this post, ive just finished a 24hour shift at work. Cheers.[This message has been edited by Draco Dominus (edited 21 September 2001).][This message has been edited by Draco Dominus (edited 23 September 2001).]

Respect the flames, for from them emerges heat, and light, let this Light guide you, and this heat warm your heart, from fire comes Life.

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
The search button is under the Post new topic and reply buttons!

Draco Dominusmember
14 posts

Posted:
Shit! Couldnt see it for looking. Cheers mate.[This message has been edited by Draco Dominus (edited 23 September 2001).]