Forums > Social Chat > Tell me how great fire is!!!

Login/Join to Participate

Tlightmember
189 posts

Posted:
Ive been almost wetting myself from wanting to light up so much. The only problem is my protective parents. (protective only when they feel like it will make them seem like better parants or when freinds come round) Ive just started a new school and they say they dont want me dead ( fair enough). Anyway i should be getting some parafin tommorow but i simply cant wait. Please tell me about how it is so great and improves your life drastically etc.

I hope you realize how pissed I am.

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
I don't recomend it unless you are really confident with your moves. Waiting till you are completely confident showes that you are mature enough to respect it and deserve to be a part of it. You should respect your parents wish's and instead of just lighting up, show them that you can spin by spinning something else in front of them. Make them be a part of your first time lighting up, that way they feel special and a part of it too. Good luck, it's an experience I wont forget.LateEric

Its about talent, not make up or costumes.

xLessThanJakexmember
155 posts

Posted:
I 100% agree with myst, I am supposed to be lighting up soon, but right now i am not sure I want to because i still hit myelf with some of the most basic moves.I'm going to leave it until i am completely confident that's what i recommend you do until you are undoubtedly confident.All the best.F_S------------------Where there is sorrow I seek the Flame - Rumi

Where there is sorrow I seek the Flame - Rumi

DmAlterEgo
128 posts

Posted:
Parents can be somewhat paranoid, especially if they don't understand the appeal of twirling! However if you go against their wishes there will be trouble!As always conquer fear with knowledge. If you're good enough to perform a few tricks with your fire poi unlit, without hitting yourself, then show them. You’ll find that with fire even a simple weave is amazingly exciting! After that you need self control to stop yourself trying out more complex moves you’re not sure about.It'll help convince your parents if you show them you're ultra-organised and together and have all the safety gear worked out. Or you can come to one of the Poi nights around (like Brixton on a Wednesday), then you can have old timers helping you out.How long have you been twirling and how many tricks are you confident of doing without hitting yourself? My first burn was after 6 weeks of intense practice, and I picked up the basics quicker than some people I know. Even then I stuck to the really basics the first few times.Also fire is dangerous, but if done properly and safely there is little risk. Fire striking you is likely to singe your hair a bit, but as long as you don’t get wrapped up or contact with hot metal it’s relatively safe. I tend to wear a long sleeved top and hat (all black and tight fitting) and so far I’ve been ok (except for a few singed hairs!)The wait and suspense will only add to the experience, a bad burn will destroy it!Happy Twirling!Dom

We're nothing but the nerds they think we are

krystiemember
22 posts

Posted:
I agree with what's been said before. Don't get cocky around fire.I'm going to be lighting up in a few days here. So in my non-fire practicing I'm working hard on the moves that I know well (smooth transitions, etc), because when I start messing around and thinking I can do something more complex (like behind-the-back), I'll eventually hit myself.Good luck! :) Definitely get your parents involved. Mine are, and they're going to help watch for safety while I'm twirling fire.Kris

JEDI WHITE AKA JTmember
29 posts

Posted:
alright.....well to tell youo the truth, I lit up after like two days of practice.....and to be honest....it was one hell of an experience......and from then on I have been hooked....the thing is that I was doing the weaves and such with nun-chuks way before I started with the chains....it was a kung fu thing.........but I will give you a very very important peice of advice......never try new moves with fire....when people who haven't sparked it up before come up to me and ask to swing fire.....I like to practice the five minute rule(where you can go for five minutes without one hit).......don't worry it really does't hurt.....now that I have been doing it for a while, I wear little or no protective gear......like pants and well thats about it........as for the parents, it took me quite the little while to work up the nerve to tell them about the whole fire thing, but now they are all about it, which is very comforting......alright weel that is all of the input that I have on this subject.........be carfule, and good luck.........Jedi Wite------------------hesitation+fire=death

hesitation+fire=death

SorchaTheFlamingmember
235 posts

Posted:
my suggestion spinn glowsticks until your hella comfy with moves then find a friend with a soaked towel (water) and just do the fire and dont tell mommy and daddy until one day sitting around got hey moms look what i can do!!thats what i did..of course i live witht he addams family..so its a compleatly normal thing here..*shrugs*------------------A Faeries Heart Beats Fierce and Free!!!!!

Teach tolerance, not competition.
Send food, not bombs.

Tlightmember
189 posts

Posted:
Im actually not at all bad i can do pretty much all the moves without fear of hitting my head. I only ever hit myself when learning moves backwards. (sooooo hard). My parants think im very good and said i look a lot like xaeda when spinning. Its just they are very well... nervous.

Fire Princessmember
130 posts

Posted:
I say, go ahead, light up! If you're confident enough, then go for it! Nothing like the first burn...As everyone else has said, never ever do anything with fire until you're 100% sure that you can do it without hitting yourself. I'd recommend only doing the basic moves to start with, until you get used to the fire.Also, remember to read the safety threads here before lighting up (e.g. about spinning off excess fuel etc.).Happy twirling! whoosh, whoosh...PS: Where abouts are you from in London?

Tlightmember
189 posts

Posted:
I live in the west. Do you know brentford. Well thats where i live.