rangerbethanymember
70 posts

Posted:
last night when twirling with 4 others i had a fantastic time, up on mount coottha, great view, loads of fuel, loads of fun.but at around 2am some drunken kiwis came up to watch and have a go. i suggested first off that it probably wasn't a good idea to play with fire when drunk and my friend mentioned that he'd probably find he was highly flammable. he took a stick.AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!this dude was going around to everyone threatening to burn them unless they taught him a trick, shoving a lit fire staff in peoples faces.GGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!he said he was a prafeshinal (much slurring)after we all tried some diplomacy i got into a verbal fight, me?! beth, fighting ha, doesn't happen. he hit me! only in the arm butAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRHHHHHHHHHGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!i ended up bluffing him off and belittling him in front of his girl before i suggested that she take this fool away before he embarrased himself furthur. he left, we left and now i'm still venting my anger.this makes me really mad mad madbut my little heart was thumping doubletime telling me BAD BAD BAD. why do these people ahve to be this way? has this sort of thing happened to anyone else??whats your story?still upset beth

floating
drifting
fading away
how could these stimulants lead us astray?

rangerbethanymember
70 posts

Posted:
after reading that, thought i might add that the fact he was kiwi had nothing to do with it, i am not being racist, just descriptive. i'm a nice girl.

floating
drifting
fading away

yashiromember
77 posts

Posted:
Well... last Saturday... I was at da disco, the main event was called "the history of trance", well, i bought a pair of orange glowstick 'cause I thought there will be a lot of poiers around... yeah they were, but with no glowstiks... sooo, nobody was at the center of the dancing pit... sooo the disco staff began to dance themselves and trying to get people to dance, i know them but I don't know their names(cause I'm a twirler & breaker(a bad one)) and well I showed 'em my glowsticks and the guy convinced me to dance with my glowsticks... well.. i went there and began to dance with the glowsticks, they were no one dancing, just watching me playin with da glowsticks, and then i lend it to some of the disco staff 'cuz i know they know how to use em, and then the disco security came and told me that please, don't use long strings, and I was like ok....WEll, now everyone was dancing and I didn't find a spot to play with the poi, so i went to my friends and began to play with it(cuz i knew them and if I harm them then it's no problems, no fights) then i performed the windmill and the disco security came again and said that 2d time... the third time I catch you swinging with long string I'll take it out... Well... after 2 hours or so I was twirling alone at a very empty spot in the disco they didn't bothered me... but then i went to another empty spot...(near the bar) and they caught me, although nobody passes around there!!! well i just gave him my almost-dead-asking-for-light glowstick and well, I wasn't pissed 'cuz I knew that is his job.... that's my little story hehe

saffiremember
27 posts

Posted:
Instant Asshole...just add alcohol!!!!There are so many dickwads around that get 10 foot tall and bulletproof when they have a guzzle.I went to a local hippie festival a few months ago. We had been away from our tent watching the happenings, when we came back to our tent, the drunken twat from the next tent was tossing around MY brand-new staff. shockedI calmly asked for the return of my precious staff (fuming on the inside) and had a furious twirl to vent off some anger. My equiptment costs a lot of money and I put a lot of effort into keeping my gear in good condition, it is another member of our family! He was chucking it around like it was a boomerang. frown After we went to bed, they came looking around our tent whispering "where'd she put it?" madNeedless to say, I had carefully put my staff away so nothing else happened. But it did put a black spot in my fantastic weekend!Theres one in every crowd!!!------------------"DONT PANIC" Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

DONT PANIC
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Hehe whenever drunks come up askin to give it a shot. I normally grab a damping towel and let them have at it. I've never had anyone act that stupid with it. What's a kiwi anyways?saffire what kinda hippyfest were you at?!?! At all the hippyfests around here I normally just leave my gear layin wherever. Sometimes I even forget where I left it and have to wonder around for awhile till I find it layin on the side of a path somewhere. I've never had anyone including hippy-ravers mess with my gear even when it's in plain sight. That's just unhippyish. Maybe you should have sent out an alarm to the others sayin some dick was going though your stuff. I heard a story about an angry mob of 30 or so following some dude outa the campground for doing that same kinda thing.------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonMost Memerable crowd saying "Hey look that dude's gonna set himself on fire again!"

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

saffiremember
27 posts

Posted:
Those guys just werent into the festival scene! There was folk music all weekend and a really laid back atmosphere. Loads of drummers and bellydancers and firetwirlers!These guys turned up late, started drinking and played heavy metal CDs until their batteries ran out. I think they were just looking for somewhere to run amok without parental supervision or cops. I partied all weekend regardless!!I'll be there again this year!!

DONT PANIC
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

Rhiannamember
12 posts

Posted:
A kiwi is a New Zealander. The kiwi is our national bird hence the name.

rangerbethanymember
70 posts

Posted:
he was a big ugly drunken abbusive ogar of a moari...in the nicest possible sense smile

floating
drifting
fading away

rangerbethanymember
70 posts

Posted:
ok so now that i've cooled down and am a little more rational i can see that he wasn't intensionally being a twat. he was just drunk and thts just how drunken people are sometimes. i guess i should've just let him play with the fire... he would've burnt himself sooner or later wink it's kinda hard to negotiate with drunks.

floating
drifting
fading away

Neekomember
68 posts

Posted:
Sorry to hear about the mishap Beth. Sounds like you handled it as well as you could have. I have yet to encounter drunks while swinging poi, but I have definitely had to deal with my share of drunks. I think how people are going to react to the art and treat your equipment just depends a lot on the environment and what kind of people are around. If you want to cheer up, check out the WEEEEEEEE!!! thread someone put up smile

foobaaspinning for ages
125 posts

Posted:
Can I apologise on behalf of kiwi's for that drunken showing?? I am a kiwi, and there are plenty of us out there that are fine, upstanding people...there just happens to be some of us out there that are stupid bastards...sorry..

fe fi foo fun

foobaaspinning for ages
125 posts

Posted:
Actually, just thinking about stuff...this is how I got into fire...I was wandering throught the square (middle of town) in Palmerston North one night and came across a guy juggling fire clubs...and had a go!!! Woke up the next morning with black marks all over my clothes...and a strange desire to light something!! Juggling clubs are not the easiest to learn...but now that I have staffs and poi I am a happy chappy with a lot of scope....trying to learn some devil stick tricks now...umm sidetracked again....anyways perhaps is not all bad...yeh they might burn themselves..yeh they might suddenly become firebugs themselves!! grin

fe fi foo fun

rangerbethanymember
70 posts

Posted:
now my friends think i'm a terry tough-nut and hire me for personal protection hahathe ridiculasness of it! oh well i''m a lover not a fighter grinthanks for the site neeko i laughed my ass offand foobaa i appreciate the gesture but don't be so silly, apoligizing for all stupid bastard kiwis is foolish. i know many kiwis which i am honored to called friends. i also know a couple of australian stupid bastards. :wink: the're everywhere.thanks for the responding to what was and angry negative being but...i'm much sunnier now! smile smile smile smile smile smile smile beth

floating
drifting
fading away

RavingLunaticmember
286 posts

Posted:
Yah..as far as drunken "pruffeshhinaals" go.. I've seen my fare share of them too..don't ever let them user your equipment on fire, you are endangering yourself, them, and the people around..if you choose to, you can let them have a go with it unlit, they probably won't damage it, and the humiliation when they smack themselves in the face will be enough for them to put it down.I usually bring along a couple practice staffs, PVC pipe or broomhandles for people to practice with. If they look like they know what they are doing, I might let them light up the real deal..

~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Yeah, RavingLunatic's got the right idea,take some practice stuff to let people have a go with first before letting them have a go with the fire.I went out to the pub the other day with some friends, one of whom got fairly drunk, then started asking to have a go with my fire poi.I gave him my practice poi instead while I lit up the fire ones.I wasn't going to let him have a go with the fire, but somehow, he managed to sober up really quickly when he started spinning the practice poi - enough to make me confident that he could handle the fire poi.I gave him a go, and he managed fine, didn't come anywhere near hitting himself.I did though, I've now got less arm hair than when I started. but that's my fault for trying to show off smile

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

RavingLunaticmember
286 posts

Posted:
ah.. who needs armhair?

~whoosh whoosh whoosh~