Page:
Gabriellemember
23 posts

Posted:
Hi there

I'm psyching myself up for the infamous Burningman. Any tips for first timers???? Anyone going from the San Diego/ LA area???

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
Take lots of stuff to give to people - it is the economy there.

Take plenty of water.

Take plenty of paraffin.

Jo.

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

axelarfBRONZE Member
9 posts

Posted:
welcome to the family gabrielle! i'm up in santa monica, can't wait to head up to the desert. you ask for tips? how much time you got? best bet would be to really study the burningman.com website. and believe most of what they say there. the survival and first timers guide are indispensable.

any specific questions? shoot, i'll try my best.

got plans yet for tranport/camp?

Boneyardmember
22 posts

Posted:
Water

A good pair of shoes. Sandles are ok for kicking around camp, but are hell on the playa. Your feet are going to hell anyway, no need to hurry the process.

Water

A foot bath.

Water

Plenty of lotion/Aloe gel & sunblock.

Water

Shade of some sort.

Water

Reading and writing materials. You hide in the shade most the day, re-hydrate yourself, catch up on your reading, and prepare to get silly all night.

Water

And last but not least, water.

Did I mention water?

J, grizzled veteran

A witty saying proves nothing.- Voltaire (1694-1778)

Scarmember
9 posts

Posted:
Just an extra question for first timer. Are there any camps you would recommend to meet other staff or poi spinners, although I have a feeling it may not be to hard to find them.

JasonBUmember
1 post

Posted:
Head to the Fre Conclave at 5:30 and Esplanade, right next to center camp.

Fire performers will be hanging out and building/trading equipment there most of the time. The Conclave should have info on most of the fire gatherings over the week too. They're even supposed to have a stage built in front facing the man for impromptu fire shows.

Remember, 1.5 gallons per person per day (applies to fuel as well as water ). See you on the playa!

~Jason

Maximusmember
250 posts

Posted:
Hey Gabrielle,
It will be good to see you again. I enjoyed spinning with you in Oceanside at the Pozeefest.

Also essential are goggles that can completely protect your eyes during sudden dust storms.
And some dust masks or at least a good bandana to wear over your mouth during those same dust storms.

Highly recommended are ear plugs, condoms, a bike, rain gear, mud gear, freezing cold at night gear, your own chair to lounge on, extra socks, and an extra tent just for storage.
Do read the survival guides and go with people who have gone before.

We leave in four days. (Yea!) Please try to catch our procession "A Xanth in the Labyrinth" at the Labyrinth Tuesday night. Probably right before the 2nd annual HoP gathering. It'll be Beyond Belief.
Or come by the Green Fairy Bar Camp (Authority 4:00) for a nice cold glass of homemade banana beer (it's beyond belief).

peace,
Maximus

Gabriellemember
23 posts

Posted:
Thanks for all your tips guys, they really helped!!! BM was absolutely mindblowing. Unfortunately I missed the Tues nite HOP spin, but met soooo many other spinners and had so much fun.
See ya all on the playa next year
Luvs and hugs
Gabs

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
I didnt want to start a new burning man thread so.....

Whos going? Whos doing a theme camp? I am

Can;t imagine I'll be at our camp much though, this being my first time and all.....im too excited.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
It's about time for a 2008 BM thread.

I'll be there as usual smile Lots of HoPers are doing Firedrums this year and I hope that doesn't satiate their need for a big burn out west. REMEMBER YOUR ROOTS! Bah, I'm just jealous because I can't make it to Cali in May.

I'm sure there will be quite a few HoPers in the desert this year. It's hard to walk a block out there without running into someone you know spinning to the beats.

I suppose we should shoot for another HoP meet and greet on Wednesday, high noon at center camp. It seems to be a pretty good time for most of us. Some years we get loads of HoPers, other years we get loads of spinners who are like "HOP WTF?" biggrin

My only advice for new burners: Bring plenty of water, a good hat, comfy shoes and sunscreen if you need it and let the desert take you where it will.

Hope to see you out there Poje!

"My skin is singed but it heals my heart and with glowing pride I'll wear my scars." -Davey Havok

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
I'll be there......I'm SO excited. Wednesday high noon meet up sounds good, I'd lvoe to meet some of you folks. I hear playa time is a strange thing though.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

Psiboing
529 posts

Posted:
First-timers recommendation: Take a hydration bladder type rucksack (like for biking etc..) with a decent capacity. Much better then carrying around bottles.

biggrin

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
This is the Burning Man 2008 thread.

This year's theme is "The American Dream."

Who is going? Add your name to the list:

Doc Lightning

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I saw that there is another Burning Man thread. It had neither date nor location nor a year. So I started this one for organizational purposes.

-Mike

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
merging this with the other Burning Man thread.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
At least two West Aussies.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

That_GuySILVER Member
10 posts

Posted:
this is gonna be my first time also. and im going from SD too. i can't wait this is gonna be sick biggrin

fire.chefcrazy mofo
99 posts

Posted:
Im coming all the way from england this is my first time and as of the moment going alone so a little guidence would be greatly apreciated

Yo Yo Yo motherfcukers

Sarah_PBRONZE Member
78 posts

Posted:
Oh man I wish I could go. I'm just starting out with poi and spinning but already so many people (many not even in the hobby) have told me what an awesome experience it is!! I'm a redhead so I'd probably have to take a few gallons of sunblock alongside my water, but man. I so wish I had a week off to just go cohabitate in the desert with awesome people. biggrin

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Fire spinning isn't as huge a part of burningman as people would think. It's not what it's about.

Infact, I remember a couple of years ago Lightning saying that he'd almost recommend that first timers leave their fire gear at home, and I think I'd agree with that. Get a feel for what the burns actually about, rather than just looking for any opportunity to spin fire.

There's a lot more stuff out there, that you don't get the chance to do elsewhere wink

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

MojojoGOLD Member
wandering dingo
167 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Doc Lightning

This is the Burning Man 2008 thread.

This year's theme is "The American Dream."

Who is going? Add your name to the list:

Doc Lightning

I think Doc was trying to start a list, but its not much of a list when its just one person. Add yourself!!

List:

Doc Lightning
Mojojo

Does anyone think it will be possible to organise a HoP meetup? Or just too damn hard?

Only three things are certain: Death, Taxes, and that England will not win back the Ashes in this lifetime.

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
I read something about a HoP meet up.....center camp around 4pm on wednesday i think...

List:

Doc Lightning
Mojojo
Poje

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
List:

Doc Lightning
Mojojo
Poje
Mand
Spitfire

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

fire.chefcrazy mofo
99 posts

Posted:
List:

Doc Lightning
Mojojo
Poje
Mand
Spitfire
fire.chef

Yo Yo Yo motherfcukers

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
AS ALWAYS, there will be a HoP meet-up in center camp towards the Man. AS ALWAYS it will occur at noon on Wednesday.

Be there. Or Seven (Malcolm's cat) will assimilate you.

-Mike

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
51 days til the man burns!

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
I'll be there, actually I'm headed to the playa tomorrow for a party. I'm not sure how much spinning I'll be able to do this year but I'll teach! smile

It's going to be a dusty year so make sure you are perpared Dune style. ( damn where did I put my Still Suit?) :P

Cody

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

*Geo*SILVER Member
108 posts

Posted:
Quite a few of us from Perth are going this year. See you all there smile

List:

Doc Lightning
Mojojo
Poje
Mand
Spitfire
fire.chef
Cody
Geo
Dexta
Goose
DRiBL
Circus Midget
Littlewing

That_GuySILVER Member
10 posts

Posted:
by any chance is someone leaving from the San Diego, L.A. area that could give 2 guys a ride???

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Check out this link, burningman Ride Share is pretty good at getting people to the playa. smile

https://www.burningman.com/preparation/travel_info/rideshare.html

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
I only decided two weeks ago to go. All year (since last year's burn) I've been saying "not this year". I guess I have no resistance to peer pressure after all...and I can add my name to the list!

Doc Lightning
Mojojo
Poje
Mand
Spitfire
fire.chef
Cody
Geo
Dexta
Goose
DRiBL
Circus Midget