Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Ambient Picnic - 20th July Guildford UK

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
The Ambient Picnic is a free one day (noon till 9pm) green festival on the 20th July in Shalford Park (Guildford, Surrey, UK) premoting renewable energy, recycling etc. It's run by a really cool group of local volunteers that i've known for years and as apparently i'm on this year's management committee, I should really start plugging it!

There's 4 music stages onsite including chillout, dance tent, accoustic and live bands, then tonnes of stalls, workshops, kids area and other stuff. Shalford Park is basically a couple of huge fields by the river in Guildford, about a 15 minute walk from the train station (which has direct trains from London Waterloo). There's loads of space to sit around having a picnic in the sunshine, drink (there's a bar and no restriction on bringing your own stuff provided you don't sell it or bring glass bottles) and role me spliffs. There's loads of vegan/vegetarian caterers onsite (until last year there was no meat selling people), which suits me. I've been stewarding it for the past 5 years and it's always one of the highlights of my summer.

There's also an after party too (in a club in town sadely, not outdoors, but we're just gonna completely hippify the place).

As far as fire goes, obviously no camp fires, but last year there was no probs with fire spinning and juggling on site (it was infact the first time i ever saw poi), if there is then theres loads of open space next to the site to use instead.

So, as it's free (donation entry - me and my fellow peers wander around in yellow tabbards and harass people with donation buckets instead to cover costs) there's no real excuses for not coming. There's even the Ambient Picnic Website with loads more info. In comparison to other events it's a lot like Kingston Green Fair, but without the extortionate entry charges - we always manage to break even on donations.

Right, who's coming then?

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
But I was sat next to them all day!!!!!!!

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
weird! maybe i did meet you... there were oh so many names.... and i'm not good with names, so please don't be offended. (when the photos come out, i'll probably recognise you!)

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Polythene: Ok fine, don't remember me either then after giving sanctuary to your boyfriend from your non parents and everything...

i'm going to go build myself a sulking shed and sulk in it.

so there

oh, you were planning to come to the Thursday workshop in Shepherds Bush, weren't you? Well you should come to the next one, cos it may (or may not) be the last one ever

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
who gave me all that beer?

my head has been doing this all day..

still a lovely day out.. so many people I knew.. didn't know where to put myself half the time!

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
didn't say I didn't remember you simian! I sent you that picture of bender. So there!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Yeah, it was too hot for a funky hat...
I'd also be very impressed if I could do a two ball BTB pass to arm roll Might not have been me - I was mainly doing one ball stuff.

But anyhooooooooo, was a muchly fun day and trés cool to meet new people again.

See - told you Guildford wasn't too bad, now you shall all have to come to our Thursdays!

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
I've uploaded 70 odd pictures that I took on the day to:

https://photos.offline.org.uk/showgallery.php?galleryid=108

I appologise for not taking more of HoP people, but my battery ran out a couple of minutes after i found you all!

BamBam can be found holding a rather large cigrette *cough* in this picture, with her other arm disappearing into MisStix

DsAdsPoi? Never!
316 posts

Posted:
Hey There, nice to meet all those i hadn't met before, hope to do so again! Lovely to see all those i know at yet another sun baked event!

Flid nice pics as always, wow you even let a pic of yourself sneak in ther too!!!

See ya all soon

Ads

Is that magnets!?

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
hee hee, I always escape the photos! Although it does seem that the back of Scott's head has made an appearance...

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Seems like I missed a nice day. nursed a couple of hangovers from hell instead

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
i was sure I saw another 7 foot blonde whilst there, if it wasn't you then he must have thought i was gay and coming onto him because i did wave

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:

If I was there I wouldn't have been that antisocial and not said hello.

Page: