Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Ambient Picnic - 20th July Guildford UK

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
The Ambient Picnic is a free one day (noon till 9pm) green festival on the 20th July in Shalford Park (Guildford, Surrey, UK) premoting renewable energy, recycling etc. It's run by a really cool group of local volunteers that i've known for years and as apparently i'm on this year's management committee, I should really start plugging it!

There's 4 music stages onsite including chillout, dance tent, accoustic and live bands, then tonnes of stalls, workshops, kids area and other stuff. Shalford Park is basically a couple of huge fields by the river in Guildford, about a 15 minute walk from the train station (which has direct trains from London Waterloo). There's loads of space to sit around having a picnic in the sunshine, drink (there's a bar and no restriction on bringing your own stuff provided you don't sell it or bring glass bottles) and role me spliffs. There's loads of vegan/vegetarian caterers onsite (until last year there was no meat selling people), which suits me. I've been stewarding it for the past 5 years and it's always one of the highlights of my summer.

There's also an after party too (in a club in town sadely, not outdoors, but we're just gonna completely hippify the place).

As far as fire goes, obviously no camp fires, but last year there was no probs with fire spinning and juggling on site (it was infact the first time i ever saw poi), if there is then theres loads of open space next to the site to use instead.

So, as it's free (donation entry - me and my fellow peers wander around in yellow tabbards and harass people with donation buckets instead to cover costs) there's no real excuses for not coming. There's even the Ambient Picnic Website with loads more info. In comparison to other events it's a lot like Kingston Green Fair, but without the extortionate entry charges - we always manage to break even on donations.

Right, who's coming then?

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
me me mee.. see you there for another fantastic day out.. can't wait!

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
Count me in on this one darling

bammy

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
like John Humphries and The Prisoner: i am free, and it sounds like fun

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

WintermuteLost in the world but loving it :)
119 posts

Posted:
Looks nice, and I've been meaning to get my arse over to guildford for awhile now, I'll see you there, may even do a stall, wanders away musing.....................

If fishes were wishes we'd all cast nets

faery emBRONZE Member
fae
259 posts

Posted:
what an intereting thread to wander into.

meet you at waterloo simian???

warp children still smile the same

"when i left the mine i realised that the world was changing. or was it us who were changing?"

The_Pirate_Dyke_BoyHOP Lord of the Pirate Admiralty
1,079 posts

Posted:
MEEE!!!!!

yay, so much fun!

so much lovliness to you stevey boy!

D.B.
X x X x X

Ship off the starboard! sound general quarters! noise and light discipline! man the cannons! GET ME THE RUM!

Master of the Free Hug Program

DizMr Dizzy....
154 posts

Posted:
This sounds like a lota fun.

See you there.

D

"To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong."
A Fortune Cookie

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
*bump*

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
free is good.

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
Bring on the free things in life

Bammy

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

sunbeamSILVER Member
old hand
1,032 posts

Posted:
I'll second that.

Non-Https Image Link

ps. Bambam:

"I don't take drugs. I am drugs" - Salvador Dali

sunny

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
Hello darling here I think I owe you this...and perhaps this just for being you

Bammy

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
(bump!)

yay, it's nearly the weekend!
better not rain....

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
See you there.. there is also an after party in Bojangles in town.. Dark Angel (Project Ozma) is doing a set.. not sure who else.. but it should be stomping!

DsAdsPoi? Never!
316 posts

Posted:
I'll be there!!!!!

Ads

Is that magnets!?

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Not sure if I'll be along to this, depends upon where I am on Sunday, but do you have any time/cost details for the BoJangles thing. Haven't been there for years and ears, when I used to religously attend the Loft night there

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
i beleive its 3 quid, but i'm going down to the site now to help setup so i'll ask

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
oh, and what time is the actual thing on from and till - as I'm always late and I know that out in the country they like to be in bed before dark

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
right, i have about 10 fliers in my pocket now, i'm a little bit non sobar (oh btw kids, alcohol is bad mmkay), but i'll do my best to decode the information

"lifes a picnic", 10pm till 2am at Pulse (formally bojanglez. I assume they realized it was a complete dump, and that everyone else thought so, so they called it a new trendy name instead). 3 quid before 11, 5 pounds after. Lineup: Dark Angel, Tey (who is gettng married today incidently) and various others that i've never heard of and can't be bothered to type out.

The ambient picnic itself is 12pm till 9pm, so you have 1 hour to stagger around guildford looking for the afterparty. Last year however we ended up having a football game with security till at least 10pm after it finished.

I shall be walking around most of the day with a tasteful yellow stewards tabbard on and a radio, pretending that i'm important.

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Yeah me and Justine shall come.

Um... As you might remember Justine and i are hopeless when it comes to directions and can get lost anywhere. So would it be possible for someone to meet us at the train station? And what train station is the best to get off at the main one or the other one?

Alice

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
Horray!

Directions........ It'll actually really easy, from the main train station (Which is closer) you basically walk down one very long road to get there.

We normally have a free bus service going to the site, but there's driver shortages at the moment so you'll hafta walk. It's just over a mile and shouldn't take more than 15 mins.

right, this map type thing, ignore the red circle and look in the top left hand corner for the main railway station. If you then look where it says "Wey South", then the picnic is a little to the right where it says A281.

So, take a train to the main station. Walk out the station and towards the centre. When you get to the doors of the friary centre, turn right and walk along that road. You'll go past the end of the high street, debenhams and a rowing club. The road is called Shalford road. Keep on going towards shalford for about a mile and you'll see it on your right.

If you think you'll get lost then i'll pm you my mobile number. See you there

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
weather forecast

one minute its thunder, next its glorious sunshine. It's glorious sunshine at the moment thou, and i've spent the day at the site and if the weather is like it was today it'll be blinding

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Woo!
Looks like it'll be large gathering of spinny-ness.

I'll get me special hat out

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
YAY! finally got to got to one of these things and meet real people!

AND they were all lovely

....and I can now destroy my house with devilstix, too!

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
Guys what a wicked day sun and sillyness a plenty.....we likes it like that.

Polythene, sorry to sound stuip here, but did we actually meet eachother???? Perhaps real names were used ... oopppsss

Bammy
Lisa

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
yup, it was all a bit lovely Very cool to see loads of groovy spinners i've never seen before.

quote:
Durbs said:
Woo! Looks like it'll be large gathering of spinny-ness. I'll get me special hat out
i didn't see durbs wearing a special hat! i feel quite cheated now. However i did see him doing funky behind the back passes to arm rolls with two contact balls, which is more impressive than a special hat.

On second thoughts it would depend on exactly how special the hat was

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
indeed, twas good, i only just this minute got back (12.30pm mon). Although was working most of the day we got some fire spinning going after it finished and you lot had left. The after party was fairly good too (other than 3.50 bottles of beer). Didn't sleep till 5am

DizMr Dizzy....
154 posts

Posted:
Great day, was had and it was nice to see so many spinners out.

Flid, thanks for posting this up and I look forward to next years. Although trying to get there earlier will be top of the agenda.

D

"To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong."
A Fortune Cookie

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
Sorry BamBam, don't think i did meet you... meet pink poi & flags, and amy K, but must have missed you out....

Page: