Robbiemember
11 posts

Posted:
O.K. I know that this has NOTHING to do with poi, but i'm in desperate need of help. I've recently got dreads put inmy hair, and I was wondering a few things;1-how and can you wash your hair?2-when your hair grows, does it grow in the matted form, or do you have to re-dread it? Thanx for any info you have, Peace out, Rob

Timmymember
45 posts

Posted:
Hey there Robbie,I've had dreads for a while now, and I can say (don't take my word for it though smile it's just what I do) You can wash dreads by just putting shampoo on the top of your head, and standing in the shower for a while, easy as that! smile A word of warning though, don't do it too often as this cleans your hair alot and the dreads come 'un-done' at the ends.......(that must sound really slobbish to any-one without dreads, but it's true, they DO keep themselves clean with natural oils after a while....they just stink like dead dogs wink )Also, when your hair grows, it grows normally from your head, ie not dreaded. Don't panic! It (should) matt itself in eventually (I permanantly seem to have 1/2 inch or so not dreaded, but my hair's getting longer, so this must be the case! smile )Happy swinging (just don't catch dreads alight, they BURN! frown )Tim /|\PSWooden beads in dreads rock! smile

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Hey Timmy...try wetting them down before you start swinging fire....it'll help.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Timmymember
45 posts

Posted:
How come the best ideas are always so simple? Thanks Pele grin ,Happy swinging,Tim /|\

Rick aka LokiBRONZE Member
134 posts

Posted:
Robbie: I had dreads for a while. They become like friends. It's great, especially for dancing.A recommendation I'd like to make is that you keep them separated. Just a couple of minutes every day or two to separate the ones that are tangling together will keep them looking sharp and feeling happy. grinThen again, I have a friend who WANTED his to grow together. His goal was to have one big fatty growing out of the top of his head. (shrug)Have a good one. Love your knotties.-Rick

-Rick aka Loki
oh, man, a signature?... uuh... this is like coming across wet cement... uuh, shoot, I had something clever I was saving... I hope I don't run out of sp

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
One thing about washing is that your dreads get really big! Dreads look great but its all the crusty's out there who are indifferent to hygiene that give dreads a bad name.Kat------------------"London is a city coming down from its trip and there's going to be a lot of refugees" - Danny,Withnail & I

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

psychomonkeymember
148 posts

Posted:
OK I was hoping this would come up. I've been thinking about getting dreads, or maybe dreads were thinking of getting me. Anyway So you can wash them to prevent them from stinking like dead dogs, or is that a fact of the dread. Or is that hat Kat just referd to?-PSM[This message has been edited by psychomonkey (edited 17 January 2001).]

One can only see what one observes, and one observes only things which are already in the mind.-Alphonse Bertillon

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Read what I wrote and I realize I didn't really clarify what I was thinking. Dreads don't have to stink like a dead dog - that's my point. You can have a cool head of dreads and still have a head of clean hair. I think dreads look great - I just don't like the fact that they are most often associated with a grunge image. Kat------------------"London is a city coming down from its trip and there's going to be a lot of refugees" - Danny,Withnail & I

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

vyvyanjourneyman
92 posts

Posted:
Hmmm, I had a whole head of really tight african braids and I too had the dread problem, as when my hair grew it decided to dread at the roots. I friggin loved it though, and it looked great as a performance image too. I unplaited then, undreaded them (shook out all the shit) then replaited them. Long and boring but maintained them really well. I say go for it, they dont stink unless you're a grot, and its not like it wont grow back when it comes to the BIG SHAVE.

...Firebreathing? Magic is only part of it my friend, diet does the rest!

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
So, what is it, beyond them looking cool, that makes you want to dread your hair? D

The Cabirimember
20 posts

Posted:
I wore hair extensions for a long time too - loved them! and the synthetic hair was great - non-flammable. for a while I had my braider weave thin ribbon in along with the braids - so lovely!In fact, four women from another fire troupe in town went out and got braids just like mine... you know what they say - 'plagarism is the highest form of flattery' - ha!anyhoo, I discovered this product from Canada that kept my braids/scalp nice and clean - and it's actually made for dreads.see:www.knottyboy.comfor a whole plethora of dread-related care products. grinCharly

Rainmember
69 posts

Posted:
Kerri, how do you do african braids? are thet the same as plats? how do u seal off the ends so that they dont come undone? Rain.ps. so if i plat my hair will the plats turn into dreads as my hair grows?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Heh Dreads!Yeah - anyone who hasnt had em, dont be afraid! They absolutely will not undo if you wash with a good soap, and you will have clean hair! If you like insense, then bear in mind that whatever you use the most, your Dreads will smell of :) I sometimes spray a bit of aftershave into mine (I find the mix of the dready insense smell and the aftershave can make an aroma that is incredibly exotic! (but not strong - only I can smell it :)Dreads only really smell bad if you NEVER wash them. wash with soap every third day, showever cap the rest, and no worries :)Dreads involve a bit of committment. If you get proper dreads they CANNOT be un dreaded, the only way out is to shave your head. And if you are a long hair kinda person, that is a scarey prospect. I dont know of anyone who really wanted dreads wanting to get rid of em upon getting em...they are so much fun! (although not when they get tangled in your chains - but you only have to worry about this if they are quite long).Anyhow - I've had mine about 1 1/2 years, and I am still liking them heaps...they can be clean, and smell nice if you look after em. They require maintenance if you want neat ones, but I think its worth it...and I'd urge anyone who's seriously thinking of getting em, to get em. But dont go to a hair dresser unless the hairdresser knows how to get a natural look - you are better off with the godo instructions found in various places on the web.Happy dreading![Josh]

vulcanmember
6 posts

Posted:
Hey to all who want dreads or need advise about maintaining dreads GO TO www.dreadheadhq.com they have everything you need to know.Hope this helps smile(ps i preferethese guys to knottyboy,personel preference)

psychomonkeymember
148 posts

Posted:
I wanted dreads, well I don't know why, I was just kind of drawn to them. I don't know, although I knew about having to shave them when and if you were done, seeing it in writting makes it sink in a little harder. I think dreads say something, but bald says something completely different.-PSM

One can only see what one observes, and one observes only things which are already in the mind.-Alphonse Bertillon

vyvyanjourneyman
92 posts

Posted:
Rain,African braids are just plaits done in a pattern. Sosina from the Ethiopian circus did mine when she first came out a few years back. She used some plastic extension to thicken them up and melted the ends to they all fused together, Problem was,when I went to unplait I had to cut off the fused end, so they got abit shorter every time!Theres a photo on the website , i highly recommend them.Josh I know exxxactly what you mean about that incense-dread-aftershave smell! But there is a fine line between good and bad.

...Firebreathing? Magic is only part of it my friend, diet does the rest!

xaedamember
129 posts

Posted:
mmmmmm the dready incense smellllllllll.yum.------------------the memories fire, the rhythm falls slow....

the memories fire, the rhythm falls slow....

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
you *put* dreads in your hair? You know they happen naturally don't you? hahaha you have no idea

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
hehe...The following message is directed at certain negative ppl on this board...others may want to read for their own entertainment...-------------I'm going to state the obvious...for the sake of those who may benefit from this.Arialtetsuo...you and juggleloser (from the other dread thread) dont have any idea.By suggesting that you can infer something about the person by their hairdo, you guys are showing your own superficiality.Congrats! Everyone could have done far better without your input! So if your intent was to harm the 'vibe' of what was a happy thread, good on yer!<...Dont even get me started on what lame flamers are showing about themselves...>Perhaps you could start a happy thread of your own? (and then trash it). Perhaps (shock horror) maybe you could -wait for it- contribute something positive?Awaiting your predictable response.[Josh]

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Josh,I do believe you started your message with a line from my message - try and be more creative because you seem to have this great fear of becoming "predictable" and I can see you'll soon be verging on this (just lookin out for you).I know I stated the fact that I don't think a hairdo has ANYTHING to do with a person it is a really normal and insignificant part of life. So any fuss over a hair style, in my opinion is somewhere in the orbit of vanity if it needs to be attended to as one would attend to friends and family attached to our heads. Funny I thought people with openminds read and considered the whole argument ... I guess *you* won't be able to say that anymore =)I wouldn't bother *trying* to 'harm' anything as ridiculous as that thread - you just happened to take it that way I suppose..I'll post whatever I choose - what is negative for some is positive for another and vice versa. And of course, Josh, you being the king of openmindedness would surely know this already =)

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Is that it? I'm not going to enter into your infantile mode of communication. Your arguement is so full of holes I simply dont have the energy to point them all out for you (although anyone following the dread threads will see your open hypocrisy).I will say this however;What you did was a mild form of Online Harrassment. Law enforcement agencies take that quite seriously. Make it a little bit stronger and your internet access will be cut off. Treat ppl online as you would in face to face communication, and you will do fine (I cant believe I have to tell you this - OTOH, there are a lot of ppl online who dont seem to understand this...mostly preschoolers...).Seeya, and thanks for the laughs.[Josh]Ps its ironic that you say that taking an interest in your looks is vain on a performing arts Bulletin Board.[This message has been edited by [Josh] (edited 25 January 2001).]

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
hear hear Josh! some people can't help but assume the role of malcontent...So, dreads are great!!!!!!!!! YAY...I live in a particularly dread-infested area of Sydney and I love it.More power to dreads.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Josh,Don't even bother starting the whole online harassment case cause its an obvious sign you have absolutely nothing to shoot back at me. And your own argument looks much more like swiss cheese than any other I've seen. You obviously need to release that tension! I could just imagine you breaking a blood vessel in your ignorant rantings and ravings.Your former threats of somehow getting my internet access cut of would not work either. (again there is so much you actually *don't know* wink ) But dream away. You'll do just fine - just shut your eyes and shout as loud as you can and maybe that way you'll actually get your chance to speak. Don't actually worry about absorbing anyone else's points of view.You're pretty funny yourself.Stress less.I don't care at all *how* someone has their hairstyle. But if you a going around talking to your dreads as if they are all different seperate beloved friends and your NOT under the influence of some kind of hallucinogenic every single day then my personal opinion is its plain tragic.