Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Poi/staff/other toys gathering in Nova Scotia Canada?

Login/Join to Participate

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Im just chucking this idea out there right now, theres no real plans or specific details right now.

Ive been thinking about trying to organize some sort of gathering for anyone in nova scotia who is interested in poi, staff and really any other sort of skill toys or performing arts. I don't really know of many details right now. Trying to see if anyone has any interest in it right now but the general plan is a meet somewheres
at a beach in the halifax area. People are welcome to bring any toys they want, rather it be fire or glow poi, staff's, flags or juggling clubs etc... I guess the general goal is for everyone to get to know each other and have a good time and see if we form some sort of community of spinners in nova scotia and see what we can learn from one another.

So if your interested post here or email/ICQ me and we will discuss and plan out the details in further detail and try to come up with a date and location that best suits everyone involved.

Also if you know anyone who might want to come but doesn't post on HoP feel free to invite them. With any luck the "She told a friend and that friend told three friends and those friends told two more friends each" phenomenon will occur.

I sure hope this ideas gets off the ground because it will be a lot of fun and a great learning experience for everyone.

List of current attendee's

Astar
NickC (both from bridgewater area)
Hayley (from shelbourne)
DTKB (all the way from london)
Dirty beaner and someone else (from maine)
Andrea (possibly bring others who spin)
Astroboy (makeing laura come)

Theres 2 or 3 possible attendees, and about 3 or 4 people I still need to contact. Plus whatever non-spinning friends people bring along and maybe a couple of jugglers or something. One of the possible shows will probably bring his bongo drums, and maybe some friends who can play them so we will have live percussion

The final date is the 20th. Beach location moved to crystal crescent

[ 04. July 2003, 07:32: Message edited by: Astar ]

DTKBmember
54 posts

Posted:
Hey,

I will be in NS for the weekend of July 19-20.

I'm totally up for meeting some other fire/poi spinners!!!

DTKB

DTKB

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, But by the moments that take our breath away.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Hrmm... 400+ miles to Maine... then I gotta take a ferry or something? And according to Yahoo Maps there are no roads in Nova Scotia. You guys have like hovercrafts or something?

Let's meet halfway... say Vermont?

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
DTKB rock on. So hopefully it will be july 19-20th, unless this date doesn't work for everyone else who wants to go. I am trying to accomodate the greatest number of people with the date (although you count as more then one person since your comeing all the way from london)

NYC we keep the roads a closely guarded secret, although I can reveal this secret if your actually serious about comeing. it's about 180-248 road (shhh secret) miles from the ferry terminal in yarmouth Nova Scotia Halifax.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
also I should have mentioned the whole thing is going to be really informal, so don't worry about it being some stuffy organized workshop type thing, it's just going to be people spinning and talking and doing whatever else they want aslong as it doesn't get us all arrested

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
So far people who are interested and will probably be going. me. Nickc, DTKB (all the way from london!) and hayley from halifax.

DTKBmember
54 posts

Posted:
Hey Astar!

Of course it's informal!!! That's when the most fun is had... ha ha ha...

Yeah all the way from London UK... I fly to Ottawa on July 16th, then drive a LONG 19 hours to NS on the 18th of July...

I will be ready to spin after having a night of lobster, celeigh music and wine at my mother's house near Newport. (fancy the difference between London and Newport eeee!)

Then I can make it into Halifax sometime over that weekend, either the Saturday or Sunday...

I will be sure to bring all my toys - poi, flags, fire and meteors (yippee my birthday present to myself)...

Also, I will probably be bringing a bunch of peeps with me. They don't spin but are my mates and will come for support and to watch.. you never know we just might get them hooked!!

How long have you been spinning Astar? Do you live in Halifax? What school did you go to?

Anyone know staff? I am totally wanting to learn some staff!

3 weeks!!!

DTKB

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, But by the moments that take our breath away.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
rock on. The more people you bring the better. Maybe if no one shows up besides who's comeing allready it will just turn into a beach party

I don't know staff worth shit but im slowly trying to learn. My friend can do a little bit, he might be able to teach you something. Hopefully we can get some diehard staffers here.

Also I would love to try your flags and meteors, Haven't tried either but they look fun.

Also I went to bridgewater highschool but I just finished up there. I live just outside of mahonebay and ive been spinning for about 3 months.

edit:I need to come up with a catchy name for this.

NickCMonkey Wrangler
183 posts

Posted:
I'm Astar's friend and will be going if there is such a gathering. Bring what ya got, and come away with more than ya brought. Hey, that rhymes. I'm sure Rick and Ivan (Ash Circle) would be down with this whole idea, so another two possibly.

*edit* I'm sure it will be a beach party regardless of who comes.

dirty beanerBRONZE Member
26 posts

Posted:
Hey.. if two more people are welcome and i've got the time/money to make a little road trip... i'll be there. I've only been spinning a short time but would love to pick a few things up from people who are better.
Distance: 392.3 miles Approximate Travel Time: 7 hours 2 mins ... according to yahoo it seems like a doable trip.

i am the gin of gunga din. went to a show with-a gunga din... so early in the morning.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
I dunno. the thread does say nova scotia... your in maine...

Ofcourse your welcome.

List of current attendee's

Astar
NickC (both from bridgewater area)
Hayley (from shelbourne)
DTKB (all the way from london)
Dirty beaner and someone else (from maine)
Andrea (possibly bring others who spin)
Astroboy (makeing laura come)

Theres 2 or 3 possible attendees, and about 3 or 4 people I still need to contact. Plus whatever non-spinning friends people bring along and maybe a couple of jugglers or something. One of the possible shows will probably bring his bongo drums, and maybe some friends who can play them so we will have live percussion

[ 01. July 2003, 14:46: Message edited by: Astar ]

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Im thinking dollar lake would be a pretty dope location. so that is the tentative location for now.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Wagaaa! Bummer. Cassandra will be staying with me and visiting New York with her man... so I'm officially out.

Maybe next time I can train up to Dirty Beaners...

Later.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

AstroBoymember
43 posts

Posted:
I'm interested. E-mail me when you have the dates ready. I'll make my friend laura come.

DTKBmember
54 posts

Posted:
Hey Peeps,

I still do not know an exact arrival date in NS, but I will be leaving Ottawa around July 17th or 18th and driving to NS... so.. I guess arrival on 19th or 20th.

So I just hope that whenever you guys plan it I can come. Not to mention I'm in Newport, which is in the middle of nowhere.. but hey, I'll try my bestest to get a vehicle and then attempt to navigate myself to wherever you are...

Can't be much more difficult than zone 1 London and the tube eh? hahhaaa...

Oh, and I will bring all the toys...

Fire (hopefully double wick one's by then)
Flags
Red/yellow meteor poi (my babies so anyone giving them a spin must sign their life to me ha ha)
all other poi thingies...

Take it easy guys!

DTKB

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
The final date is the 20th. Beach location moved to crystal crescent as it seems to be less strict, plus it's on the ocean as opposed to a lake (total plus) I will have maps up and directions in a couple of days.

Everyone comeing will be required to sign a safety sheet. It's just an agreement that you will follow a few basic safety regulations. Like not killing yourself or setting anything besides your toys on fire. All fuel is going to be kept in a designated area. Im not sure about times. I think I will arrive there about 12 PM. I guess we go as late as people wish to stay. Make sure you bring food and water etc.. as I don't know what stores or resteraunts may be around the area, although i will try to find out for you before the 20th. Also make sure your not wearing any synthetics if you plan on spinning fire. It would help if a couple of people brought fire extinguishers. I will bring a couple but it would help to have a couple more just so we appear to be extra safety cautious to any nosey soccer moms who might complain about us swinging fire about.

PS-Some people may know Crystal Crescent has a reputation as a nudist beach. Don't worry (or don't get to excited depending on who you are) The part where people like to get nude is separate from the part of the beach we will be on and not visible from our beach.

PPS-where the hell is newport? I found a newport corner on the map but no newport. I don't know if I trust people who live in towns ive never heard of . How far is it from halifax? Newport corner doesn't seem to be that far. If it's not really far I may be able to pick you up, meet you half way or someone else who is comeing may be able to do the same if you are along their way.

NickCMonkey Wrangler
183 posts

Posted:
beep

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
First off the directions to get there.

From halifax drive down the 102 untill you reach exit 1, turn right onto the North West Arm drive go to the end of the North West Arm drive, then turn right onto route 306 (sold sambro road) travel to old sambro and watch for signs for crystal crescent beach, follow the signs and you will arrive at crystal crescent, we will be on the second beach (a past the first beach you come to on the road) I will be wearing a orange shirt and dark blue shorts.

Non-Https Image Link

I have decided not to bother with a safety sheet, I don't think it will make that much diffrence anyways. I will be there around 12 in the afternoon and it goes untill everyone gets tired of putting up with me and decides to go home

It will definatly be a lot of fun, see you there I guess. BTW so you don't end up refering to me as "astar" my real name is willis

NickCMonkey Wrangler
183 posts

Posted:
To follow Astar's (Willis) suit, instead of calling me NickC, you can call me plain old Nick.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
I just realized I put the wrong exit on that diagam, it's really exit 1.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Sending happy vibes...

We had such a lovely gathering in New York this week I'll send some of that love up to you.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
It was pretty grand how no one showed up.

DTKBmember
54 posts

Posted:
Hey Astar!

I'm sorry I never made it down.. I was only in Windsor for 2 days and no car.

I hope we can do it next time I'm down. Or if you come to Ottawa let me know and I'll be sure to bring you to a regular night on Parliament Hill.

see you

DTKB