Forums > Social Chat > IF YOU WANT TO HELP NEW YORK DONATE SOME BLOOD

Login/Join to Participate

smileemember
40 posts

Posted:
There in not much most of can do to help the present situation in New York. The authorities are calling for people to donate blood. There is a major shortage.

later - Smilee

jedimastahmember
97 posts

Posted:
Been there done that. Took me four hrs. to do so!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
They are looking most especially for those who are type O negative, the rarest form and so very hard to come by and type O positive, the universal donor. The type O negs are getting front of the line treatment, no waiting.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

MystikDancermember
118 posts

Posted:
There ARE a lot of ppl lookign for O-, cause its hard to find and it can treat all blood types. My mother is O-, but she can't donate so frownI maybe be 0- myself, now if I wasn't underage and underweight, I'd be there in a second

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I thought O+ was universal donor (I am O+ and I can give blood to anybody?) And O- is universal reciver, you can take anybody's blood. Time to do some research people.

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
My mother is O positive, she can donate to anyone.My father is O negative, he can only receive from O negative. AB positive is the universal receiver. That is what I am.To reiterate what I said before...O neg is the rarest and they are looking for it desperately.O pos is always welcome.Right now they have put out an announcement in this area stating that unless you are O neg please wait a couple days before making a donation. They are innundated and can not handle anymore. But that's in Western New York.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
the need for blood is so immense that Australia is sending over our blood! The city blood banks have extended hours today and are calling all donors.I don't recall the number of litres the emergency rooms in the NYC/Wash DC have used since the attacks, but it is frightening.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I looked up blood types on the internet and found some usefull information.Type O+ is the most common blood type (37%)Can recieve only O+/O-Type A+ is the next most common (35%)Can recieve O+/O- and A+/A-Type O- is the unniversal donor (6.6%)Can recieve only O-Type 0+ can be given to anybody that has a + blood type (A+, B+, AB+, O+)Type AB+ is the universal reciever but can only donate to AB+The +/- is the Rh factor. If - recieves + it can cause problems. although + can recieve - Here are web sites that explaines morewww.bbr/facts.htmlwww.goaskalice.columbia.edu/1124.htmlwww.sln.fi.edu/biosci/blood/types.html

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I spent some time doing research so we can get this strait.O- is universal donor (6%) Can be given to anybody, but can only recieve O-AB+ is universal reciever (3%) Can only give to other AB+, but can recieve all blood types.O+ is most common (37%) Can be given to any "+ blood type" (O+ A+ B+ AB+)A+ is next most common (35%)***percentages are aproximate***www.pleasegiveblood.org/btype.htmwww.goaskalice.columbia.edu/1124.htmlsln.fi.edu/biosci/blood/types.html