yashiromember
77 posts

Posted:
YO guys, has any of you got great looking abs/tricep/shoulder/back from twirling for a long time?just askinnthe move that uses most of my muscle I think it's the windmill.

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Poi don't do much for your arms, abs, or pecs, but they really do a number on your shoulders and back. A friend took a picture of my back while I was doing a "helicopter" butterfly--when I saw it I was startled to see muscles I didn't even know I had.And now that I've started practicing with the staff, my forearms are getting bigger.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Code128member
69 posts

Posted:
Absolutely, I am Huge!!I owe it all to the HomeofPoi and their new Exercise Video "7 Minute Poi's"Tony Little Says "Poi Rock!! and if they can work for me anyone can do it" Lou Ferrigno says "Mumble Mumble, Incredible Hulk mumble mumble"

------------------
A.N.T.H.E.L.I.O.N

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I think it depends on your style what gets worked out. My arms are actually more muscuar. I *always* have had shoulders like a line backer and my back isn't far behind, but since I started spinning my arms are starting to become more proportionate with the rest of me! grin Also, because of how I do things, my legs andabs do get a work out but best of all is the cardio-vascular....who needs step arobics with these toys around?------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

yashiromember
77 posts

Posted:
Adam, do you practice with chains or just strings, it is possible that strings have the same benefits as using the chain due to the weight and the amount of effort to swing itI'm beginning to practice staff(with broomstick), but I'm starting in clockwise direction, I don't know Pele's right, why stepping if staff & poi are fun hehe smile

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I use chains with dummy wicks. I just weighed 'em: 6 oz each. Doesn't sound like much, but when you practice moves with your hands overhead or arms stretched straight out for 10 minutes straight, it starts feeling heavier.My arm muscles have gotten "ropier" and more defined, but they aren't bigger. My lats, delts, and shoulders have gotten bigger.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
I have only been doing staff and poi for five mts, and I haven't noticed any increase in muscle size. However, what I have noticed is a vast improvement in posture and agility. If you want to build up muscles, you could try Indian Clubs (fire clubs). For staffers who want to add spice and muscle to their lives then try the Scepter: https://www.4scepter.com/couples.htm
smile wink smile

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
My arms aren't bigger but they are definatly more tone. "No granny flaps here".Eric

Its about talent, not make up or costumes.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I'd like to point out that the average burn (5-7mins) is not long enough to get a training effect on your cardiovascular system...for that you need 20+ minutes at 80-85% your max heart rate..So perhaps either have heaps of fueled poi ready to go in turn, or use practice poi...I alwasy find jumping around to music is more of a cardio workout than a burn or two - however doing doubles will NO DOUBT increase your strength...when I first started my arms felt totally stuffed after a doubles burn, now I can do a couple with no real discomfort...Josh

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
It all depends on you and the way you keep your poi moving, I try to use my wrists as much as possible, since I started doing that my forearm have gotten way bigger.Also, with overhead moves such as windmill buttlerfly/overhead butterfly I try to use my abs/back rather than my arms to keep them going... makes a hell of a difference to myt waistline!Also, all my poi are between 200-300 grams (about 7-11oz) which can become REALLY heavy. Im sure the weight of your poi make the biggest difference. Spinning glowsticks probably wouldnt do much for you physique at all.

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
Ye olde handstand pushups are great for building muscles too... I can do 0.5 handstand pushups smile

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

Endangered Sanitymember
164 posts

Posted:
I can do a handstand for about 2 seconds before I fall over... does that count?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
with all these buff bodies, the single gals a droolin''

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I have noticed a tremendouse increase in my poi endurance over the 9 months I've been doing it. I also have noticed an increase in the definition and size and strength in my back, shoulders, and lats (side muscles underneath arm pits) as to the type of conditioning, if you use light weight poi for long periods time (minimum 20 minutes) you will increase your muscle tone and enduance, but probably not size. However, if you use heavy poi for long periods of time, your muscles will get bigger, you will loose fat, and your indurance will increase. (just make sure you stetch afterwards to maintain your flexibility) Now that I have started doing alot of "btb" moves (especialy the weaves), My back muscles are feeling it, and getting realy defined. I don't really feel it anywhere else besides my back anymore though. That means it is time to start using my heaviest poi...squishy baseballs and thick, smooth, twist link, welded chain grin I also noice that when I do lots of jumping and kicking I get a great workout. Like, I only last 10-15 minutes at maximum power, (depending on number of kicks and jumps) I was "WRAP MASTER FUNK" (lots of kicks)for thirty minutes of fire poi (non-stop) on saturday, and I am feeling it today (GREAT!!!!) I went though all my fuel and dryed out my cloths frown (DANGER!!!) ...I'll need to remember to keep wetting them down!Daniel Tyler"WMF"

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I though that poi would be great for my shoulders but I had a little look in the mirror today and discovered to my shock that the real growth had been not on the shoulder outside but the muscle running from the base of your neck along the shoulder. Shocked because this muscle has never before stuck out and suddenly there it was, how cool ;0)one other thing, staff is good for lots of stuff (helecopter for the shoulders especially) and also I find that it naturally opens me out and streaches the upper body effectively, specially behind the back passes. start slowly and try and bring all your moves as far out from your torso as poss. Poi I tend to find actually crunches up my shoulders so its a good idea to streach before and afterward (although there have been scientific studies that say that streaching does little or nothing to prevent injury, hummmmmmm)love you all,