Forums > Social Chat > Finally saw myself spin

Login/Join to Participate

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
I finally got to see myself spin! I liked it a lot. My brother filmed me spin my zuni and my fire poi. I have to say fire was sick as fuck. I was going to send it in but after viewing it I found that It blured in a couple different spots. Shitty. I did a 5 beat BTB weave with fire. I was happy I got the balls to do it and nothing went wrong. On film too. I'm going to film again in a couple of days and work out the kinks. This time I'll make sure I do a couple more interesting moves for the compition. Eric

Its about talent, not make up or costumes.

CareyBearmember
9 posts

Posted:
I know how you feel - I only saw myself for the first time about two weeks ago - just before I came to the USA. It was really bugging me that I really had no idea what I looked like... smileY'know how it is - there's this deep suspicion that you look like crap.. blushThough the 5 beat still has ME beat.. *sigh* I can get the 4 going for a pass or two.. then it gives me a headache (bein hit in the head does that to me.. smile )

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
It's deffinatly helping me with my spinning, I know what looks sick and what just looks alright. I can't wait to get more footage.Eric

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I can't do it. You should hear me rip myself apart. I never think I look good or that my moves are as fluid as would like or, or, or....I commend anyone who can watch themselves and not shred it apart they way I do. Whipping Boy is trying to break me of this habit but I will agree, you do definately learn from it and I would recommend everyone video themselves from time to time and watch it. Also, if you can, try practicing in front of mirrors. Last winter I was able to practice in a rehearsal studio at the local college with the double walls of ceiling to floor mirrors. At first it messed me up because I was seeing peripheral movement where there shouldn't have been any but once I got used to that it was easier for me to see where my mistakes were when I was psotioned wrong. Now I know my body well enough to feel when it is wrong but it was still one hell of a tool. I learned to fire eat that way too. I slid my garage door open and it had glass windows, so they were above me. I could lean my head back and see what angle and such I need for the deepest swallow (Yes I know how that sounds! blush). It really helped me alot! smile------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
hey me too. Sat night i had a friend of mine vt me. I got a good 10 minutes of spinning, but it was late (3:00AM) and i was a little drunk, so my best stuff it was not. but i got a fel of what looks good on tape & what doesnt.One thing for sure, fire looks much more impressive on tape than the sticks. I tried some of the effects and a few looked alright, but i would loose some of the visual speed. I dont know like i said, i have to mess with it some more. We have a few more weeks. Time for bed, nose to the grind in the morning. Later foo dangs..Super'------------------"When a Man Lies He Murders Some Part of the World These Are the PaleDeaths Which Men Miscall Their Lives All this I Cannot Bear to Witness Any Longer Cannot the Kingdom of Salvation Take Me Home"

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
It's the first time I've seen myself spin and I didn't think I looked that good doing it until I saw the video. I'm proud of it and glad I did it cause now I know what looks good. I do practice in front of a window to watch myself but it's not the same. I don't watch for performance when I spin in the window I watch to make sure the poi are always fluid. I liked being able to step back and watch my performance. Eric

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
I think one of the major lessons that i learnt when i first saw myself and others on video is that speed really isnt everything and dancing is the key to make the video "special":P

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

courtneemember
37 posts

Posted:
watching myself spin poi is definitely not something i enjoy doing, outside of spinning in front of a mirror to learn new moves. pictures i can handle because fire is so photogenic, but when it comes to spinning in a set and trying to put moves together on video i hate almost everything i do.but then, i just hate almost everything i do. :)-------------------nee

-nee

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
its ok courtnee, we luv you.. [image]https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/images/icons/grin.gif">"S"------------------[/image]He Murders Some Part of the World These Are the PaleDeaths Which Men Miscall Their Lives All this I Cannot Bear to Witness Any Longer Cannot the Kingdom of Salvation Take Me Home"

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

Keltmember
34 posts

Posted:
I've never gotten to see myself spin at all. It's driving me up a damn wall!! It was for THIS reason that I finally got off my butt and took my camcorder in to a shop to get repaired... smile

Let me stand next to yourFire, fire on the mountain...

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
yeah, i know what you mean, i totally got the chills after checking out my skills on video...it's kinda like watching yourself having sex on video for the first time wink