MystikDancermember
118 posts

Posted:
I was talking to a friend of mine last night about how excited I am to start poi.I showed him pozee's video so he had some idea about what I was talking about. But then he just started bashing it, saying it was just another one of those circus tricks that people do, all physcial, and that any no-brainer could twirl a baton around.That really insulted and angered me, and I tried to convince him it wasn't just some no-brainer trick, but its an art, and its beautiful. But he won't stop bashing it frownA very upset Mystik

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
And how much does this person's opinion matter to you, exactly?Don't waste the energy trying to convince him he's wrong. Just set the issue aside. Now if he/she loses all respect for you because you're doing this thing, you'll need to re-evaluate the whole friendship, but short of that, it's easier to "agree to disagree." And perhaps sooner or later, your friend will come around.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

TranceKujamember
68 posts

Posted:
my friends used to say that also-then i got kinda pissed and told them to try it themselves. That shut them up smile

Live by honor. Kill by stealth. Only the unseen survive.~peace~

TranceKujamember
68 posts

Posted:
my friends used to say that also-then i got kinda pissed and told them to try it themselves. That shut them up smile------------------Live by honor. Kill by stealth. Only the unseen survive.~peace~

Live by honor. Kill by stealth. Only the unseen survive.~peace~

Tlightmember
189 posts

Posted:
Yeh get him to try it then bash him for being dumber than a no brainer

I hope you realize how pissed I am.

MystikDancermember
118 posts

Posted:
I tried to make him to do it! But he won't. He says "well, I can't twirl batons, but a lot of other people can, and it doesn't even look all that cool".He's just the kind of person to bash, whether or not he ever tried it or wnats to. But he said some very offensive things, or am I being too sensitive. He was saying "all I see are some circles and arcs in various places". frown

Bassmanmember
95 posts

Posted:
MystikDancer -- No brainer? Hmm.. Three things: coordination, creativity, and intelligence. These are all "brain" skills, and they are all necessary for poi swinging and other "circus" related skills, as your friend would call them. Coordination is a mental skill, not a physical trait. Creativity is obviously a mental skill and intelligence... well duh! I say intelligence because even if you are coordinated enough to do a move, you still won't be able to do it until you figure out exactly what the move is/entails. Sometimes it can be very complicated to analyze what's going on.I agree with TranceKuja. He should really try it himself before he says things like that. I mean, if he doesn't think it looks cool, that's fine. That's his opinion, but if he thinks it's really easy and any no-brainer can do it, yet he can't, well, then he must be worse than a no-brainer! If that's possible.

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
Your friend may not realy see what is going on. He might even be partialy blind in one eye, I have a friend like that, just a theory. P.S. if this bashing dude can do a btb fountain like JoDerry I will kiss his ass tongue ...not likely to happen though. Maybe you just need to "convert your freind to the dark side of the force" -Dark Sith Emperor. Just kidding. What might realy be the problem: your friend feels intimidated and insecure (possibly on subconciouse level) and inferior because his eyes and mind are having trouble comprehending what you/we are doing. So he covers that up and/or reacts to the feeling by taking out his injury on somebody else. Well it is four oclock in the morning and I am deleriouse, so I will shut up now.

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Screw him.. If you really wanna do this do it. Just don't say aword about it to him or even let him see your glowsticks for about 2 months. Then bring it up one day that you've still been doing that stupid twirling thing. He might start complenting you then. When I started I got ripped on all the time... None of thouse ppl are laughing anymore when I goto the bar and start ripping it up.Hehe this is kinda like a chance to have someone redo what you wish you could have changed when you started.. Me I just kept up at it telling them how cool it was. Then when I switched to fire it was a totally differnt ballgame. Some of thouse same ppl have been trying to learn for sometime now.------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonMost Memerable crowd saying "Hey look that dude's gonna set himself on fire again!"

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

Dark Starmember
5 posts

Posted:
Remember: it's easier to criticise than to participate. Could it be that your friend is envious and so bashes poi to make himself feel better?

SteelWngsBRONZE Member
169 posts

Posted:
I agree with Bassman. In juggling their are 3 different types of tricks. Ones that are as easy as they look. Ones that look harder then they are and ones that look easier they are. Poi, IMHO, fall into the last category. When I first saw someone spin I thought. Heck, I can do that no problem. Then I made a set and proceeded to smack myself for about a month. LOLAs for your friend that busted on you. Remember that later on down the road he/she will be coming up to you later and telling you that the fire thing looks kewl, and your so lucky cause doing something like that comes so natural to you and he/she can't do anything like that. LOL Even though we all know how much work it takes. ------------------Blessings to all, Peter "There is a rhythm that unites us with the natural world. The more we learnto feel that rhythm and get it into the mainstream of our lives, thestronger can be our spirit."--- Robert Rodale

Blessings to all,
Peter
When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon ...you just have to outrun the halfling.

MystikDancermember
118 posts

Posted:
I stopped talking to him about poi. I didn't see the point. Maybe later on, I'll be the one bashing, and I'll be the one bashing his very offensive opinions. I didn't mind if he simply said, "that doesn't really interest me, but good luck." I wouldn't have felt so mad. But all those cracks about circles and just another trick, that made me mad.SteelWngs: I completely understand the part about smacking yourself. I have little red spots in dozens of various places, and probably more on my head then I would want to see/know about! smile-=M-D=-

'tropemember
12 posts

Posted:
hand him your poi, tell him to do a figure 8 in the front until he hits himself in the balls, and then get back to you...(even worse than people who bash it before they know what they're talking about are the idiots who come up to you at parties and ask if they can try it out - most of the time you can smell the booze on their breathe three miles away and they've probably never held a pair of poi in their hands anyway...

For a charm of pow'rfull trouble.Like a hell-broth, boil and bubble.Double, double, toil and trouble,Fire burn and cauldron bubble. - bill s...