Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Cafe Cairo - Saturday Night - Social Gathering?

Login/Join to Participate

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Coleman / Smallboy and other heads.

Will be in Cafe Cairo on Saturday night for chai and chat from 8 / 8.30

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
dammit!

i'm at a birthday party way out of london on saturday night so i won't be able to come

we *will* all get together for a smoke at some point, whether its @ the cafe or just indoors somewhere (i'm not up for chilling in a field with the current weather situation).

hope you have a wikid time without me kat.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Where is this elusive Café? I've heard so much about it apart from where it is....

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
oh the memories oh the memories Cafe Cairo such a quaint little place. wish i could get there but i'll be in leicester square working

sMythmember
10 posts

Posted:
hello, i'm in denver , colorado and i'm new to this huge world of computers. the cairo cafe sounds cool. i'll be visiting london for the first time in the early spring. can anyone give some pointers to cool places to check out for someone traveling to london for the first time and interested in firedanceing, druming, and bellydance? i can't wait to get out of the usa and see other places.
thanks , smyth

SmokyDavySILVER Member
Do my poi look too small in this?
394 posts

Posted:
My memory is foggy but I think it's near Clapham North station.. head west (I think u turn right coming out of the station) on the street and don't buy hash from the guys on the street without checking it first.

Cafe Cairo is lovely.. Many good memories and one of the best Chai Teas in town

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Did not make it to Cafe on Sat night after all as it was wet, had been shopping all day and so we created our own cafe at home with rum coffees, Indian takeaways and vids. What fun!

Next jaunt planned in Sat December 21st. Also possibly will head next Thurs / Sun (12 or 14th) perhaps

Smyth - there are bellydancing lessons in Cafe Cairo on Sundays followed by a performance by a belly dancer (8.30pm approx).

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

sMythmember
10 posts

Posted:
hey thanks for replying to my post!!! we had a busy couple of weeks here in denver. i think you all in london might think this to be pretty exciting. the colorado fire tribe has been a virtual community meeting casually throughout the summer of 2002. this is a yahoo group. anyway( flying by the seats of our pants with only two major rehersals )four awesome and dedicated people brought together and organized fire spinners, safety spotters, and safety fuel techs from steamboat springs, boulder, colorado springs and denver for a performance in a major city parade. the parade of lights has been an anual event since before i was born. i didn't help organize but i was one of the 20 fire performers in the parade. it was great to give some firey spice to the denver mainstream.
so are there regular performances in london ??

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Will be at the Cafe at some point over the weekend, either Saturday night or Sunday evening.

Might be going to a party in Tooting Saturday night though. I gatecrashed a party last weekend on the way home, and the v. nice people not only invited us in but gave us an invitation to come again And people say London is an unfriendly place However Cafe is foremost on the agenda.

Coleman / Smallboy /Dromepixie - hope to see you this weekend. If you think you can make it PM / email me and I will send you my mobile number.

- W B Yeats

faery emBRONZE Member
fae
259 posts

Posted:
sorry to make all these plans skew-wiffy (not that the current plans should or would be changed only that i'm coming in off subject really!!) but does this cafe cairo place do stuff on a friday eve?
only i promised to take larissa out this weekend and i can't on sat as i have BIG SCARY day on sunday.....

and of course, not that i'm following dromes example and inviting myself to things (which you are very skilled at kel if i may say so.... )

warp children still smile the same

"when i left the mine i realised that the world was changing. or was it us who were changing?"

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Hi Amy K,

Cafe is open Fridays from 4.30 ~ late. 'Fraid I cannot make it tonight, as I am going out for dinner tonight. I hope the Big Scary Sunday does not turn out to be so scary after all, wahtever it is?

Should be in the cafe Sat from 8.30.

If I don't see you have a ly weekend

- W B Yeats

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
well it seems we are doomed to the inevitable conclusion that comes from having hectic lifestyles and are all gonna miss each other this weekend

i should be at a party in angel by 9ish on saturday and i live north of london which basically means a stop off in clapham north is actually a serious mission

we will have to set a date for a sunday afternoon sesh in the new year. talk to ya about it @ spitz next week kat?

hope you all have a , -filled, ing weekend.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Went to the Cafe yesterday and had a lovely evening

But there is bad news. There are signs everywhere asking customers not to smoke and they really are enforcing this.

Seems that they had been warned one to many times by the police that a gathering of people sitting around chilling, having a couple of spliffs in a sociable atmosphere was unacceptable and must stop immediately.

They also are not able to serve alcohol until they get a license (some time Jan).

Extremely annoying, but seems the crackdown is due to the abuse of the trial in Brixton as all the little darlings are smoking on their way to school. Yes, well its not just in Brixton that you see this happening.

I will let you know if situation changes. In the meantime, cafe is still a lovely place to go visit although they are renovating downstairs at the moment.

We can organise our own gathering in Jan - details to follow.

Vive la resistance

- W B Yeats