Forums > Social Chat > where to go in thailand for inspiration

Login/Join to Participate

dangerboyoriginal member
205 posts

Posted:
hey kids,i'll be in thailand in a few days for three weeks. i know some of you must have been and probably know where the spinners hang out. wanna give me some tips so i can hopefully meet people better than me and be washed by the warm tide of inspiration? cheers.------------------Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

Spinstamember
4 posts

Posted:
I'll be over in Thailand by early October so make sure you give some updates on where the great spots for twirling are. I hear Ko Pha Ngan is pretty special and gets a fair few twirlers. Try emailing this guy: skunkfiend@hotmail.com. He's a really excellent twirling buddy who did Thailand last year and can tell you lots of good stuff!Happy adventuresJocelyn

MogliGOLD Member
19 posts

Posted:
Sawat dii crap (hello in Thai for a guy),On the west cost theres a place called Railey, it's near the town of Krabi. It's a mecca for rock climbers and lots of people spin there. Ko Phi Phi also has some spinners.Hope that helps.------------------Live life, don't just exist.

Live life, don't just exist.

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
Mogli is right, a nice young japanese girl was telling me about Riely today. She said it was her favorite place in ALL of Asia! "people be walking up to you and smokin bowls" I showed her some bad ass moves and she barely even looked impressed blush, something about there being some increadable twirler there, like world class. I've seen the "COL" video, I thought I was getting pretty far up there, But now I don't know. Maybe these people just don't have the internet, right? But then again may be it was the hooch confused anyways, sounded like a MEKA, so check it out! I'm sooo jealouse.[This message has been edited by santanatwo (edited 09 September 2001).][This message has been edited by santanatwo (edited 09 September 2001).]

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
Hey Dangerboy!OK I just found the website the girl mentioned. www.texrockclimbing.com BTW the place is called Railay Beach. Looks like a jungle out there!

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
helooo, thailand is a fantastic place I had trouble leaving..I met four guys at Railey (sp??) that are the best twirlers I have ever seen. They taught me a few things..but its great to swap tricks when language differences are huge! Makes for very funny conversation smileYou'll have a ball ...(and save a buck!)

Code128member
69 posts

Posted:
Whats up DangerBoy,Here's the info that I have for you. Railay is definitely a cool spot and if you have 3 weeks I would say you could spend almost a week there and not feel like your wasting any of your time.In BKK I met a few people spinning at night right on the Kho San road. Also since this is a major thruway for all travelers, if anyone is spinning chances are someone else will stop and join and they may have some skills. On Kho Chang (Large Island South East of BKK) there are a bunch of bars right on the beach (White Sands Beach) and if you keep your eyes out they will post signs saying "Fire Show" and some of the locals will spin Poi and Staffs. The guys I saw were really good and they wore pretty silly masks while they were spinning. Lots of Staff ThrowsIf you do make it to Kho Chang, you must stop into this little Bar on White Sands Beach, the name escapes right now but its just a little ways North of the Apple Bungalows and is run by an Aussie named Greg along with his Thai Wife. Really cool people, if you make it tell em Josh (American real tall) sent you along. All in all any beach that you are on, will probably have some resident spinners. Good Luck DangerBoy

------------------
A.N.T.H.E.L.I.O.N

dangerboyoriginal member
205 posts

Posted:
The truth about Rei Leh.reileh is very beautiful with warm waters and amazing cliffs for climbing. the beaches are like a siren song calling "lie down on me". however , i saw little fire that impressed me. there was a crazy old beachbum guy who was the best i saw there. he was way up on me in style and some moves, but overall, i have a bigger...library than him. the local spinners who i did some shows with were nothing special and in fact were slow and repetetive and drunk. of the foreigners there who i saw spinning there, one was kick=ass on poi, but had no staff skills. one was good on staff (had my spinning style) but didn;t do poi, and there were a whole lot of beginners. feh feh snoo. so far i have h\yet ot find evidence that i'm not one of the better spinners out there. c'mon world, prove me wrong! give me my guru.------------------Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

dangerboyoriginal member
205 posts

Posted:
The truth about Rei Leh.reileh is very beautiful with warm waters and amazing cliffs for climbing. the beaches are like a siren song calling "lie down on me". however , i saw little fire that impressed me. there was a crazy old beachbum guy who was the best i saw there. he was way up on me in style and some moves, but overall, i have a bigger...library than him. the local spinners who i did some shows with were nothing special and in fact were slow and repetetive and drunk. of the foreigners there who i saw spinning there, one was kick=ass on poi, but had no staff skills. one was good on staff (had my spinning style) but didn;t do poi, and there were a whole lot of beginners. feh feh snoo. so far i have h\yet ot find evidence that i'm not one of the better spinners out there. c'mon world, prove me wrong! give me my guru.------------------Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Well - I guess you have to examine what values you are judging 'best' and 'better than' by...after all, if you are trying to compare other ppl with yourself, You will always be better, cuz no one is as good at being you as you are. I think you will find it very hard to find someone who is a better flagger/staffer/poi'er(haha) all in the one person. (partially cuz flags are virtually unknown here AFAIK).I'm kind of surprised you havent already looked closer to home..I saw some ppl from the San Francisco area who do a LOT of stuff you dont do (according to all the vid you have on the net, and on the circles of light vid). - and I was only there for a week.Still - I suppose you are gonna go conquor ::cough cough:: I mean visit wink New Zealand? After all, you wont get better poi ppl anywhere else. Imagine being taught poi in primary school! smileI'm sure Malcolm or Charles could point you in the right direction for some Quality twirling...perhaps even a certain person who shall remain nameless (cuz hes paranoid about having his name on a website but kicked ass on the Circles of light vid) could help you out...Josh

dangerboyoriginal member
205 posts

Posted:
the truth about rei leh.rei leh was a very beautiful place indeed. however, it was also a tourist trap where the only places to stay were resorts, and the only places to eat were restaurants. not really my style. the spinners there werre nothing to blow me away. the best i saw was an old beach bum whose style was the most fluid and beautiful i've ever seen. but i had some moves on him. the local spinners were also good, but slow and repetetive. of the foreigners there, i saw nothing to impress me. maybe it's different in the busy season, but i wouldn;t want to be there with any more foreigners than i saw when i was there. if your in thailand, by all means go. it's a nice place to spend a few days and it extremely beautiful. but it's no fire spinning mecca.------------------Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

Rhiannamember
12 posts

Posted:
I wish I knew... I am going to be in Rayong for about a year in Thailand teaching english, I am hoping that I will be able to find someone(s) to play with!!!