saffiremember
27 posts

Posted:
Greetings & Salutations!I just wanted to mention the importance of doing a few warm-up exercises before you twirl! Ouch! I didn't warm up properly and reached really low for a nearly-dropped poi. I could hardly move my right shoulder for three days. Yucky headache too! I went to see the back-quack, and have to lay off twirling for a couple of days (boohoo).All because I couldn't wait to spin my new poi!Damn! Anyway, us old dogs can learn new tricks, and mine is a 10 minute warm-up!Cheers

DONT PANIC
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

Tlightmember
189 posts

Posted:
Wow, harsh!!!

I hope you realize how pissed I am.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Cant Twirl??BUMMER!

SteelWngsBRONZE Member
169 posts

Posted:
Saffire,So what is your routine?If is stretching or is it different spinning patterns to loosen up muscle groups?Just thought I would ask.------------------Blessings to all, Peter "There is a rhythm that unites us with the natural world. The more we learnto feel that rhythm and get it into the mainstream of our lives, thestronger can be our spirit."--- Robert Rodale

Blessings to all,
Peter
When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon ...you just have to outrun the halfling.

saffiremember
27 posts

Posted:
Give everything a good stretch. Roll your shoulders back and forth a few times, backwards & forwards. Stretch out your hands and wrists too, particularly with poi.Touch your toes, if you can reach. Just wake your muscles up before you put them to work. smile Nothing too strenuous!------------------"DONT PANIC" Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

DONT PANIC
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

Neekomember
68 posts

Posted:
I don't know if any one else will feel me on this, but what I usually do is warm up by casually swinging through some basic moves for a bit. After that set the poi down for a minute, stretch, then pick them back up again. Suddenly the poi seem lighter, and you have to think less about the movements and everything becomes more fluid. I find it is great to do before a performance or even practicing.