MichalBRONZE Member
489 posts

Posted:
Hi folks!

The next Beginners Poi Courses will start on Sun 10th Nov and Mon 11th Nov and will run for six weeks. The Sunday course classes will be every Sun in London Bridge from 6-8pm. The Monday course will be every Monday in Camden Town from 7:30 - 9:30 pm. Both courses are 6 weeks long, and include six lessons plus a public show (which is optional). Price: £50 (concs available). There are a maximum of twelve places on each course.

Your teacher will be me, Michal Kahn. I have been teaching poi for several years both to members of the public and to students at The Circus Space and Circomedia circus school. I also run choreography courses for professional circus performers, and organise circus showcase cabarets. I have worked as a performer for several years performing mostly at festivals, film premiers and corporate events. I have also been commissioned by Butterfingers to write the first instruction book on poi swinging which will be in the shops this summer.

The course will teach you the basic moves and concepts starting with how to hold your poi and going on to moves such as reels, tuck turns, the weave, the backwards weave, the windmill, the butterfly and the fountain. (If you can do most of these moves already contact me regarding the Intermediate course). We will also explore basic concepts such as turns, follow time, linking moves together, and opposite directions, allowing you to begin to invent and explore your own moves and style. The course culminates in a show, so we will also work on choreography and presentation. Expect to work hard but have a good laugh with the others!

Contact me at poicourses@juggler.net or on 07905 949 441 to reserve a place or if you have any queries.

Well, I look forward to hearing from you.

See you soon!

Michal

michal@juggler.net

Spiral_komember
44 posts

Posted:
Killer Course!!

Took the last course, learned heaps of tricks --- 3 years of fummbling yourself or 6 weeks of wicked teaching.....you decide.

easy peasy japanesy.....

XxSpiral_ko

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Spiral_ko:
Killer Course!!

3 years of fummbling yourself or 6 weeks of wicked teaching

easy peasy japanesy.....

XxSpiral_ko

wicked, lessons are kewl but its poi!
i dont put prices on teaching others basics like a weave or tuck turns, they are the basics.
i teach for the love of teaching not the money. and anyway isnt that why we all visit homeofpoi? does malcolm charge us? nope
argh i'm just tired and bitchin

MichalBRONZE Member
489 posts

Posted:
Still a few places left!

michal@juggler.net

MichalBRONZE Member
489 posts

Posted:
Ta spiral_ko! Glad you enjoyed it.

Poi'd n insane - fair enough view point: I had the same qualms when I first decided to run the course, but it was a choice between charging or not doing it at all! Fortunately, no one has ever said the course is not worth it - in fact most people tell me I under-charge. This is because the price just barely covers costs - after all, even indoor juggling workshops have to charge a bit each week to pay for the venue, and malcolm, whilst providing a brilliant service, also makes some cash from his brilliant shop so that he doesn't burn out!

michal@juggler.net

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
too true indeed, sorry was a lil wired last night. these damn meds aint helping me.

MichalBRONZE Member
489 posts

Posted:
's alright. Where do you teach?

michal@juggler.net

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
sheffield's Flying Teapots society, its sheffield universities union funded juggling and circus skills group but its open to non uni students too which is good. We have a very large circus based comunity up here with the green top circus and the swamp circus all based in sheffield, also i organise the poi in the park events once a month and a weekly fire meet for every one to come and learn how to play with fire safly and just a good meet up. today we have a big one with cassandra from paris minero from edinborough, both Tempests, jo derry and loads more people from home of poi coming to meet up as well as the local crowd.
i do hope your courses run well.

MichalBRONZE Member
489 posts

Posted:
Oh, hi PK! I met you once at a house party in Hendon - I was fairly groggy so didn't spin but talked alot (!). I'm a friend of Drews - he helped me write the poi book which is now finished (Yippee!) so I may actually get out to poi events in the near future. I can't believe you've got a funded circus workshop! That's rare.

Do you know Big Gray and Helena Hatstand from Swamp Circus? If so, say hi - I've not seen them in ages - I'm not even sure they're still Swamping!

Hugs.

michal@juggler.net

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
swamping more than ever with a new play thats touring still i think.
drew is here for the weekend brainstorming new poi moves with us.
wouldnt mind seeing this poi book as i am working on a poi moves list so far come to a stand still with 170 buterflys and variations thereof.
house party at hendon, good old chris i met so many people there but i will ask drew in a mo and check my memory... kinda goes blank some times with faces.

MichalBRONZE Member
489 posts

Posted:
So how did your brainstorming go?

Book's out early December (fingers crossed).

And those of you interested in the course - just a few places left, so contact me if you want to do it.

michal@juggler.net

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
pretty kewl, just posted up a new move for drew to check out, the maths say its a 7 beat corkscrew no wrap/and or turn but the verdict at my house and theres 5 of us spinners here say its ugly as hell. but i cant say any more till drew says so..being my mentor so to say.