Forums > Social Chat > "online" personnality ?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
This board here is the first one I ever entered on the internet and I am glad I did. Realized it yesterday cause I found myself thinking of the HOP and all the beautiful people on the board,thinking about you as I think of my friends and family (eeer... actually my friends ARE my family..) To those of you I am in touch with personnaly and those whose post i just read with great interest and pleasure without always responding though : I love you and thank you with all my soul. smilethat being said, entering the HOP I also discovered a whole new "online" world and vocabulary (apart from the foreign language issue) and the most surprising one to me was "ONLINE PERSONNALITY"wowI know my personnality has various faces : happy, sad, gentle and nice and , yes, ugly or "cheap" pretty much like anyone. Personnalities evolve of course... and also I know that when I dance with fire my body language and personnality, or should I say my "attitude" (?) are not that of an everyday work attitude... But I see it as one house with different rooms... And as i write here on the board I am "naked" (don't give me that dirty look, just dunno any better word wink ) or so I thought .... But hidden behind our computers, who are we ? I sometimes feel I am actually even more honest "online" because there is nothing to prove, but sometimes I find myself holding back from saying something and not entering a thread, whereas I probably would say what I think in flesh and bone reality... (editing this bit, cause I see how unclear my english was, thanks Super !)So what is the meaning of "online personnality" ? why "flame" someone ? is there less respect online because people feel "protected", like people behind a mask who'd dare do things they'd never do in every day life ?Don't misunderstand me, I feel warmth and respect here, but this just got me thinking in a more general aspect ... What do you think ?gee, we are all over the world and talking and sharing, isn't that amazing ? But I just can't wait to SEE you actually see the faces, the eyes and the smile that go with the words. Some of you have met here and there, lucky you smile I can't wait for that gathering in NZ in 2003 !!!Do I make sense ? I am confused myself on what exactly is my point, just wondering...Shine onCassandra[This message has been edited by cassandra (edited 08 September 2001).]

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Really Deep, man!

Pele'sWhippingBoymember
442 posts

Posted:
To be honest, this is probably the discussion or even thesis of many a psychology student.I think you hit it on the head. People feel empowered when online. Especially in a medium of a forum. You can type away and get all your thoughts out. While you're forming your thoughts and expressing them no one will pause you, interrupt you or yell back. It's not untill you wait a minute, hour, or day will someone respond to your statement.We also do not have much need to hold back our statements. There is no threat to us here. What's the worst, I get banned? In real life if we called someone a poi spinning moron who doesn't know his wick from his nose, you might get punched or something. But here, he'll just call you a stupid staff weilding masturbator and life will continue. Chances are high that you will not meet the people on the board. You'll find that those that meet more regularly in real life are nicer to each other on a board. Those that either don't, or don't care to, are less tactful with each other.You get to play a part of some person that acts differently than your real life person. You may be more bold or more eloquent (sp?) or even just more. It's a way to alter your expressions. I've been involved with online interactions since 1994. I started with online games and have been with forums regularly for 2 years now. It's quite a strange sense of power when online. Yet vulnerability too. Here's an example:"You're such a dick."vs"You're such a dick." tongue j/kSee the difference? One's an insult, the other is joking. The vulnerable part is that you don't want to be misunderstood. If you are, then your reputation could change and that would alter your online personality. Which can reflect you.How many of us have left the computer to go complain to a real life friend about what's going on at HOP? "I can't believe that Pele has got her own whipping boy. Not only is she a moderator, but she's got slaves too? What gives her the audacity?"This was a good thread. Made me think. Thanks. [image]https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/images/icons/wink.gif">------------------[/image]Pyromorph - Let the fire change you

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
She's had enough bartender, cut her off...hee heeI totally understand what you are saying. Its easy to loose your real self while typing words. And its easy to confront someone on a mesage board becaue 9 times out of 10 you will never see them. I think thats good though because like you said you will enter into a post that you would never comment on in real life. My personality?? what you read is what you would get. I try to keep my personna online trueto the way i am in reality. Just in realty im a sexy bitch and alot funnier..hee hee grin grin [image]https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/images/icons/grin.gif">Super'------------------[/image]He Murders Some Part of the World These Are the PaleDeaths Which Men Miscall Their Lives All this I Cannot Bear to Witness Any Longer Cannot the Kingdom of Salvation Take Me Home"

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

4,224 posts

Posted:
Bartender , I'll have another tequila sunrise, please winkSuper, not only are you a sexy bitch wink but you always manage to make me fall off my chair and burst out laughing in the middle of the office (my colleagues are looking at me in very weird ways...)!!!! However I actually meant it the otehr way round. I am a very "boing boing boing " energetic / enthousiastical / talkative girl in general and here... i do not enter some posts allthough I would like to. But now that I think of it, maybe it is just cause I don't master the language well enough...WB, very intersting what you say... gotta think of it during the week end. Food for thougths...shine oncass

DömAlterEgo
128 posts

Posted:
WhippingBoy has basically said everything I could say, but I'll reply anyway as it’s something dear to my own heart.There are a lot of 'personal' sites on the web where people open their most intimate self up for everyone to see. I think part of this is egotistical, but a part is also a therapy, a psychological release. By writing down your thoughts on a machine you do not get interrupted, and you aren't interacting with anyone who'll provide immediate feedback or judgement. Because of this you're more likely to be more open and direct.The amazing thing about the web, and one I discovered 7/8 years ago, is the ease with which you can post to a forum or make your own web site. This allows a wide range of everyday people to air their thoughts to everyone else on the web.There are obviously good, bad and fun sides to this. You can change sex, height, sexual persuasion, whatever takes your fancy! A 5 foot man can go online and say they’re a 6foot 6, leggy blonde and nobody will know if they are or not.Me, I’m a lot more vocal typing than speaking. And I’m a 6foot6, leggy blonde winkDom

We're nothing but the nerds they think we are

MiSsFrOgmember
187 posts

Posted:
Yawn...too tired brain hurts, going to sleep now...nite nite grin

Its not easy being green....

4,224 posts

Posted:
Alternativa, that's interesting. I actually did not think of it in that way, still new to the whole concept of forums, chats etc...So... I could even pretend I am cute and sexy "online" wink mmm... nice !!!I fully understand the whole "egotistical / therapy" issue ,it makes sense, but I think also that people simply love human contact, meeting others... I do...still wondering about honesty... dunno...Bartender, I need another "tequila sunrise" or maybe a "sex on the beach" winkshine oncassandra

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I agree with what's been said by others here. A problem with online communities, or with person-to-person e-mail, is that people forget there's a real human being at the other end. There are two basic rules that some people evidently don't know:1. Don't say anything online that you wouldn't say to the person's face2. Imagine that everything you say online is actually being shouted in the other person's face. That's how it can feel sometimes.I've been in online communities since '89, and although I played around with online personas in the beginning, I made a conscious decision pretty early that the online me should be the real me. I don't know how successful I am at being "the real me" online, but I try.And I have to say, if the real-life Cassandra is anything like the online Cassandra, she must be pretty amazing.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

4,224 posts

Posted:
:: smiles and blushes ::

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I already posted my glowing complements of Cassandra's online personality. I always thought that if you complement someone more than once on the same topic you're probably hitting on them so I will refrain from being redundant. winkI do find online personalities interesting. Some websites are a Rorsarch (sp?) test of personalites. You see what you project. I often play dominoes and cards online and have to wade through hoardes of cursing teen rage and anger (No offense to the large majority of level headed teens out there.) I DO think that if your online personality is radically different than your real one, you're probably hiding/repressing something. Mine is generally the same (IMHO.) I have found most of the HOP regulars that I've met to be consistant as well...I do like you guys. smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

FireDragonmember
4 posts

Posted:
Hmmmmm.... interesting one.I agree with most of what has been said but I look at it from a different angle. Having travelled for some time took me to different places with different people,different interactions and different energies. It made me realize that to distinct between "myself" in France,"my other self" with my family and "my better sweet self" when I am with my partner wink is wrong for me.All these personalities are one. They are the different parts but they are all one. You cannot describe me completely in anyone of them singlelyas the "real" me.It reminds me of a story about 3 blind men that encounter an elephant and are asked to describe it. The first one grabs the trunk and says "an elephant is a long hose". The second one grabs one of it's feet and says "an elephant is like a big tree" and the third grabs the ear and says "an elephant is like a big thick blanket". All of them grasp a part of the reality but non of them what an elephant is (phew.... sorry for that one but I felt like playing the wise from the east for a second wink)I think making this destinction will keep me from accepting my "bad" sides because I can always choose to look at them as "not my real personality".Back to the issue, I think "online personality" shouldn't be opposed to the "real" personality but should be treated as an interesting mirror for yourself. What sides of me come out when I am in the situation of annonimity and safety? I think it is a good lesson. I also think it is still your real self even when you hide behind different sex,age or whatever (the lesson is even more interesting then).love,Itai (see? I can put my name here because I am not ashamed of my online sides wink)[This message has been edited by FireDragon (edited 08 September 2001).]

Shine on you crazy diamondPink Floyd

Xochidancemember
18 posts

Posted:
You know, Ive done quite a bit of thinking on this one myself. Sometimes its hard to keep an open mind about a forum after some of the negativity comes out. It basically follows the saying 'you teach people how to treat you'. So if a person doesnt like the vibe in a place, they are not going to go back.Sometimes I think too deeply, or try to feel more than I should. My walls of defense lower considerably in my online personality. This is not necessarily to my benefit of course. Ah well. I know where you are coming from Cassandra, there are many posts I dont reply to as well. But... HI! hehe winkHello to all of you fellow fire dancers out there

SorchaTheFlamingmember
235 posts

Posted:
i agree!!in real life im a big loser!! *lol*thats why i dont have slaves online!!=D hey hey hey what on the tube today!!!

Teach tolerance, not competition.
Send food, not bombs.

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
One more thing about the online personnality is the age factor. IN real life, a 16-year-old will not interact with a 32-year-old the same way he does on a discussion board. He probably won't feel as confident or having as much credibility in the eyes of the older guy, therefore may be more shy in what he says and hold more to himself. On the board, why would he care?An example that comes to my mind for this is on our Boston poi mailing list (called Anthelion). Some people who signed up on the list never came to the spin sessions so i emailed them saying "hey, you should join us at least once, it's a good time". One guy ended up posting to the list: "I hate to ask, but is anyone else around my age (18), i don't want you guys to feel too akward. Hence i've never shown up to any other spinning sessions"...Nomad

daskmember
53 posts

Posted:
1. Cassandra you ARE cute and sexy online winkCassandra online2. Speaking about online personnalities I have seen a few boards like this one and they all suck because people there, are not true. These boards are only a group of artificials personnalities... people trying to be what they think is 'cool' personnalities. What I like in this board is that most of us don't try to cheat and our online personnalities are quite similar to our real ones. Yes everything is enhanced online but I think that generally we don't play with ourself one this board.It's why I love it anyway, Here it's a bit like talking with real people plus the average discussion here is a little more interesting than the standart chatting standarts (age-sex...etc you know ???)Big Up to everybody one this board, thank you for sharing everything grinDask_nearly_mastering_the_BTB_Weave_Since_Today grin Yeeeaaaaahhhh !!!!!![This message has been edited by dask (edited 11 September 2001).]

o]-[DasK]-[o

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Cassandra, I loved this question and have been putting much thought into it. Everyone has made some wonderful observations and I agree wholeheartedly. Going back to the ego one, sometimes the online personality is what a person becomes defined as, and that is very intimidating when meeting people for real. Here is my thoughts,example and reasoning:I am a writer. I find that I can use language much more effectively through the written medium than I can sometimes when I speak, unless I am performing. It is because of this that I am so comfortable expressing myself. Something happens to the words between when I think of them and my fingertips and they seem to come out better than how I originally thought them. Pele is my onstage character name. When I slip into Pele mode I am immediately confident, quick, witty and in general out there, but it takes my costume for me to make the transition. I will say these things are present in Lynnie(my true form) but they take awhile to really come out. Until I get familiar with the people I am hanging out with as Lynnie I am reserved and shy, contemplative and thoughtful. I am very insecure and nervous about performing or showing people things about me, spinning or not. In real life for a person to know me to the "Pele" point takes awhile.When I first met some of the HoPpers they did not expect this. My first encounter with Nomad actually comes to mind. He (later) told me that he had been excited to meet a "professional", especially because it was "Pele", one of the more visible HoPpers. This really made me nervous. I can also recall that I borrowed one person's comet poi who then went (as a joke I hope) "I am so honoured, Pele touched my poi." But, the thing is, I am not so wonderful. In fact when I got to the gathering I hid behind my son and Whipping Boy. I barely spoke at first unless it was something I could add to the conversation with (I recall I spoke of Bola's) and that was about it. The next day I barely spun and when I did it was unobtrusively and way in the back away from the obvious sight lines of others, to the point where when I did something with a long chain I was asked to do it over and over as more people caught on, and I was chastised (nicely) for doing a summersault without anyone looking (I guess someone caught the tail end of it) but I didn't want to do another when all eyes were upon me. I wasn't in costume, I wasn't in Pele mode and this group of strangers, even as wonderful as they are, really intimidated me. I have since broken a bit more from my shell when I met up with others, many thanks which I give to Nomad for the help, but several have commented on the difference between "Pele" and me. When I met N8, Whipping Boy did all the talking so I wouldn't have to. I spun like shit due to nerves and pretty well stuck with fire breathing because it is the fire thing I love most and the one thing i am confident in as Lynnie or Pele, not because I think I am great at it but because I love doing it so much that I can lose myself in the flames and be afraid of anyone, even though N8 and GFM were perfectly wonderful.This isn't from any problem I have that is deep rooted, as someone suggested. The big difference is that I am trained as a professional actress and a writer. I am trained to hide behind a costume and a pen. I know my strengths lie in these two abilities, yet when I meet with someone face to face I am not going to act and be in character. I am going to be me, which is shy, nervous and not so confident right away. This does not mean I lie or embellish anything online. I know what I know, I say what I believe and describe what I do to the best of my ability. My convictions are no different in real than on here. Once comfortable enough I would say anything I say on here to a person's face, but in real it might take me a bit longer. It's just hard going into situations where people think "Pele" is the whole me, when she is just a part of me. Does this make sense? Hopefully I'll be over it by the International gathering in 2003! smileThat's all. "Pele" the bolder side of Lynnie.Sorry for babbling smile------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Pele...As mentioned earlier, Lynnie is as much a part of you as Pele. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being shy, not being able to talk to others you can happily type away to or perform in front of.I'm certain Whipping Boy fell in love with your shyness as much as everything else. While some people see shyness as less than positive, if its a part of you then it's great.Extroverts like myself often want to help people overcome their shyness, like it is a problem. But when someone tries to cure us of our extraversion (is that a word?) we get defensive and hostile.There's nothing wrong with being less shy when you want to be, but there is nothing wrong with being 100% shy as well.There's a lady here at work who I can't stand, she never listens to anyone, dismisses anyones concerns and is bullish and oppresive. But that is my opinion of her.She still has as much right to exist in this world as I do. Just because she doesn't act in the way that I think she should act, doesn't make her a bad person, it makes me a judgemental person.And, being judgemental, IMHO you have far more right and reasons to exist in this world the way you are, than she does the way she is.All of our personalities are different, and we need to embrace them first, and seriously think about whether they need changing or not...------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I keep my a lot of real personality hidden all the time. I find it easier that way. Less chance of being hurt. Although that said I think I show a lot more of my true self when I'm online. I toyed with the idea of taking on an online persona (not on HoP but elsewhere on the net)but dismissed it almost instantly as a bad idea. I sometimes wonder when I'm chatting to people (both on and off line)whether they are being as truthful with me as i am with them. There's no way to know. So obviously I assume they are.------------------C@ntus

Meh

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
hehe - Cass,you have a very attractive online presence, thats all I'm going to say for now smileI think this projected persona stuff is very interesting...but it's not a new thing. Throughout the evolution of society, there have been ppl that liked to dress up differently to how they normally do, and walk around acting like they are someone other than who they think they are...However its never been such a low risk scenario before the web existed...realistically, there is no real risk of being caught out, so I think this is why we are seeing such a rise in the number of ppl projecting secret selves...erm - I can kinda see it as being either1) a developmental process, with ppl who dont really know who they are trying on different personas in a risk free environment to see what fits (ie the 14 year old boy who is an outspoken gay moderator on a men's issue board - but no-one in his 'real' life knows yet)...2) therapeutic - ppl who have inclinations or fantasies about being someone other than who they are, and just have to let it out every now and then without having to irreversibly let it out in their 'real' life.I personally mostly try to follow the rules that Adam outlined; real ppl on the end, speak to them as such (but sometimes whack dudes need to be put in place smile)..I also try to be myself online...Technically I guess I come from the Behaviourist school of Psych, in that I think what is most important is your interactions with the outside world, and that your internal states can be inferred or adjusted by adjusting your interactions...also - that conjecture about whats really going on inside is intrinsically a waste of time.So I dont really spend all that much time thinking about what/who I am, rather I just accept *that* I am, and what should I do today? (instead of wasting a whole day wondering about who I am) - of course, this doesnt preclude me from spending many hours wondering about the meaning of human existence, or rather - what I *should* be doing / aiming for... smileI like this kind of musing...I try to have no preconceptions about who ppl are - I accept them at face value, unless they give me reason to think that I shouldnt...after all, on the net, its a waste of time and effort to try to work out who someone really is, and after all, does it really matter what sex someone is or what they look like in real life?After all, BBS's and email etc, are basically ppl's personalities communicating directly, I reckon its a good thing, as soon as you introduce looks / sex / etc you get the stereotypes coming with it, and its a natural instinct to start to model what this person is like - and what they are likely to think from this extra information - and really, arent we all striving to be accepted as people, not just something skin deep?Good Morning!!Thankyou once again Cass,Josh

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Im a non-line personality.Herman Hasse might sayintellectual gift economyGurdjieff would agreethat the 'I' is a 'We'Barthez would point outthe problems with textsafty through the noiseof removal butsterile withouttruth.Lao Tzu wouldjust laugh.

4,224 posts

Posted:
hello beautiful people !So many things happened lately that i totally forgot I had posted ths thread a while ago so I went to check it and was so surprised to see so many answers which got me thinking even more. thank you, as always !NYC, if you are what you seem to be on this board, then your students are lucky to have someone like you shining for them right now in the current darkness.Xochi, you should definitely interact more in more threads cause I love your insight on life !Sorcha... any idea of who could provide me with some first class slaves winkNomad, this age issue is very interesting. I personnaly beleive that age does not mean much. I have friendsfrom age 4 until age 94 right now... yet i beleive thuis internet can be a way to meet people you might not even see otherwise. One day I accidentally mistyped the name of a friend in an email address and the email arrived to someone else. this person replied and very naturally we started chatting. She was a 55 year old canadian woman. One of these beautiful angels, a gift from the sky, maybe the mother i would have liked to have... We became online friends and I "accompanied" her throughout her final phase of general cancer (or was it rathre her helping me ???....) until one day my inbox remained empty... Dask, mastering the BTB weave and all ??? when are u coming to Paris ?Pele, Lynnie... we love you, all of you winkCharles, I loev what you say about extroverts and shy people, made me think (being regularly balancing between both !)Josh I pretty much agree with you, not really caring about looks, sex or what people do for living cause that is NOT who they really are or what will make me love them or not. However, I am very "animal" in a way and I trust in what i feel. I trust also what i see in someones eyes and smiles, it is probably wrong, but i usually do. So that computer thing does not completely satisfy me...shine onCassandra

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
hehe - no the 'computer' thing doesnt satisfy me either...I'd have to be a very different person for that winkmy points are only really about online interaction - not person to person..hehe - ask Flash about my problems with person to person interaction smileJosh

4,224 posts

Posted:
Flash ? any feedback or story to tell ? smileShine On Cassandra

sandmanmember
65 posts

Posted:
You know, I always find that I'm actually at least as shy online as in real life. This seems strange as I always figured the anonymity of being online would make me feel safer. But if anything I find it worse - I have to be drunk before I can really participate in chat rooms!Some people create multiple online personas so they can try out being someone else just for fun. I can't do that. I can't pretend to be someone I'm not. It's like lying.Interesting thread - enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts.

4,224 posts

Posted:
"mister sandman, sing me a song.." winkand don't worry, I think people value everyone's point of view here, those who don't it is their loss and the misunderstanding are often quickly fixed.I think we all lie and cheat, but the interest is to at least be concious of it and not abuse it...shine oncassandra

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Josh thinks too much sometimes winkJosh is a fantastic individual and more eloquent than most, both written and verbally. Upon first meeting Josh in the real world I was delighted to note his warmth and openness transferred from his 'online personality' flawlessly.To note any real issues Josh has with person to person interaction, I think a you'd have to be fairly observant when it comes to things like that. I for one, am always watching humanoid communications with great interest, so noted a few points about Josh and subsequently informed him of my observations, much to his surprise.Josh is a confident and charismatic individual with the ability to make anyone feel comfortable in his presence. Any flaws he has within interaction are very minor and quite endearing. smilegimme a Jgimme a O..... you get the picture wink/Josh glowing critique

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
GET A ROOM KIDS! No PDA on the boards please. tongue

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

4,224 posts

Posted:
What is "PDA", NYC ?Flash, does Josh pay you for what you say ? like his Personal PR, you know ? Katinca, how does it feel to share the life of a guru like him winkand other question : do they produce a lot in this model (the JOSH model I mean) in OZ ? Are they available in Europe as well winkshine onCassandra

KatincaSee my vest.... see my vest...
693 posts

Posted:
Hey Flash are we talking about the same guy here??hehe*joke*Love and Light------------------ ~*~ Katinca ~*~

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
hehe smileyou guys rock smileThanks Sarah...again! smile) You rock smileand Kate...hm... winkJosh

Page: