Forums > Social Chat > Aloe Lovers: A Quick How To For Growing...

Login/Join to Participate

MystikDancermember
118 posts

Posted:
I'm not exactly sure where to put this post, but I think some of you would like to have this.Fresh aloe is sometimes a really handy thing for burns and scratches and skin irritations. My mother plants the stuff and they grow rampant! I'd like to share a few tips on how to plant them, just my contribution, for whoever might like to know.-- plant aloe in soil mixed with sand (2/3 soil, 1/3 sand). The best combination is 1/3 sand, 1/3 soil, 1/3 peet moss(sp?)-- water throughly, but not too much. Aloe is slightly like desert plants. Too much water and they rot. Sand keeps the water flowing through instead of gethering aroudn the roots.--do not give the plant direct sunlight. It needs plenty of mild, gentle sunshine, but blaring rays will make the plant wilt and die.if you get burned, or if you have a rash, or bug bites, etc, just pull off a 'leaf' and apply the sap inside over your skin. When it dries, it won't leave anything sticky, don't worry.just my $0.02-=M-D=-P.S.-- Aloe is pretty easy to find, they are usually sold in your local gardening stores (Home Depot)