Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > BE AWARE of the Middle-East email asking for performers....

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
It seems a number of us have been emailed about working in the middle east at the beginning of next year.

A serious word of warning...I've heard of a number of cases where people have gone over to the UAE (United Arab Emirates) for work, performing, tradework and otherwise.

A number of them resulted in very unpleasant treatment, in particular the women, but also a number of men.

There's a number of cultural reasons why Westerners may have trouble adjusting, and sometimes the cultural reasons are genuine and sometimes garbage made up by a dodgy businessman!

If you get in trouble in a foreign culture, you often have nowhere you know of to turn to, so this situation can get very messey very quickly.

Please please please be very wary of work in this area, and try to get current references from westerners you know of who have retruned happily.

If anything seems dodgy, or too good to be true, be very very careful...

I have sent them an email asking for any NZ performers currently in NZ who have worked with this person and I for one would not go over there without talking to several people who relate good experiences.

Think of the number of dodgy club-owners/businesspeople you know of in your area and then apply that percentage to this situation.

Please, everyone, be very very careful, (especially the ladies!)

[ 08 September 2002, 19:18: Message edited by: Charles (INFERNO) ]

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
good, Adam,

guess the play is among:

where there's a will there's a way. . .
or a response about the difficulty
or a request for alternatives

or it's dropped as too much trouble
or their project doesn't take such steps,
& hopefully it's not culturally disdained

or more accomodation/ promotional work is expected by them from the performer/ agent

Charles,

best of luck, wonderful that one of us is pursuing this enough to find out about the reality of the opportunity!

if it were to pan out, INFERNO in Dubai -- it'll be a terrific gig, from location alone!

AardvarkOnAcid, ikarus,

haven't gigged in Arabian lands, though?

Maximus,

any news?

cheers,

~ Mike

[ 26 September 2002, 13:08: Message edited by: FireMike ]

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

FireMikeZ@yahoo.com (personal messages welcome, no promo spam, please!)
Laguna, California, US

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
The Flaming Butterflies have listed Dubai as one of their gigs for this year. They've been there, ask them.

Also, do a search on the Dubai Shopping Fest!

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Still no word from these guys or the guy pretending to be from that american website, I'm guessing it is the same person trying to get performance videos for his own bizarre reasons...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
Dubai Shopping Festival Check out the prizes

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
I emailed The Flaming Butterflies about their gig in Dubai and they said it was great, though very hot. I junked that email I got about performers wanted so I haven't followed that particular lead up.
Though I would say that the world is more dangerous now than when this thread started. I'd fear being the victim of terrorist action before fearing being ripped off.

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
Did anybody here get the gig? A.N.T.H.E.L.I.O.N was contacted too and we sent in a proposal but got no response.

Nomad

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Like I've already mentioned, I think this whole thing was a scam to get hold of performance videos. As for the the actual reson for wanting them I have no idea, maybe they want to start their own bootleg COL?

With all my communications with them, they never asked for references, where I had worked in the past or even for a safety record. all they wanted was a video of my shows...

A very similar request was also emailed out to all of us apparently from a big agent in the States. The email address it was sent to though, wasn't the emails on the website, and the guy was once again soley asking for performance videos.

Here is that other thread.

Just for everyone's infomration here, virtually no-one in the performance arts arena will send out multiple emails to make bookings. Its too time consuming, gets too many "wannabe's" who don't deliver on the day and just impractical for many reasons.

If someone has sent out multiple emails to thousands of people, it is SPAM, and they want you to make you visit a site, or get something for nothing off you.

Thats the way spam works, it relys on numbers to make it effective.

I['m certain this is the same person as the US site pretender, and if so, I think they are the scum of the internet.

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
Agreed, but still no reason to avoid working the UAE

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

Page: