Forums > Social Chat > we're Baaaaack! :) - Josh and Kate Return.

Login/Join to Participate

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
hey all,Katinca and I are back from the US, and so will be helping out again - I wonder if anyone missed us? winkAnyhow - I'd like to take this opportunity to welcome the Hordes of Newbies ((c) Mattel 2001).::Welcome!::Also - I'd like to send a wake up call for all the ppl I can see are getting too lazy to post...Alright.Time to get back to business.More posts coming up.Josh and Katinca

BEZERKERenthusiast
237 posts

Posted:
Heeeeeeeeey!!Good to see you survived an American road trip.Thought I'd ask you and all the other attendees of BM 2001 to give a review of their experiences?It'd be cool to here about the highs and lows on the Playa

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Yo!Well Burning Man was a very interesting experience...but not for the twirling...that was at such a consistently low level that both Katinca and I were bored of looking for improvment by the end of the week...there were some exceptions...mostly the meetup with Nomad and Christian...The twirlers that we hungout with at Fusion Festival were also by far the best fire twirlers at BM (Infinite Chaos; Much respect).Other than that - BM was a riot. Hardly any kind of political symbol, but when interepreted as a stage for radical self-expression, it was mind blowing. Every kind of party from Spaghetti Western Theme Camp with their spaghetti parties to Thunderdome with their metal mad max violence to Wasabi Camp and random acts of Sushi. lots of clueless ppl lots of ppl looking for a clue and a few Gods smileThe fire twirling was frequently dodgy...and very occassionally...outstanding.It was extremely dissappointing to me that not one person other than Kate and Myself turned up for the HOP meetup. Sheer luck guided me to meet Nomad, and I'm glad. Got to shake pj's hand for a moment before he and protie dissappeared into the duststorm.but other than that no HOP presence...Josh

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
great to see you two are back !sorry about the low quality of twirling, I must say that it surprised me a lot thought BM was the ultimate fire dancers meeting !!!!All in all would you give your impression of your trip to the USA ?WHy don't you and Kate do the same kind of trip but around Europe next summer at the time of the European Juggling convention and all... Heard that amazing fire dancers gather there and ... hell I want to meet you guys !!!!much loveshine onCassandra[This message has been edited by cassandra (edited 06 September 2001).][This message has been edited by cassandra (edited 06 September 2001).]

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
The Trip to the USA was cool, I'm glad we did it. It had high points and low points. Highs were definitely hanging at Oceanside with pozee and meeting Myst (BTW guys - I never saw any 'stickers that even came close to you guys in my travels; Respect) and going to Fusion Festival. As for the States, I'm not sure when/if I'll go back, but right now my travel list looks like this..1)Thailand2)New Zealand3)Vietnam4)Japan5)India.I'm hoping to get OS at least once a year...I've been on target the last 2 years..2000 - Europe / UK2001 - USAhowever at any time Katinca and I may just up and move OS...we are thinking BC for Nthrn Winter and UK or Italy for the nthrn Summer smile and some of our travel plans are cheaper than others...I dont see why we couldnt do both Thailand and NZ in one year......hmmm ::scratches chin:: and I've only been back from the US 6 hours Josh

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
Welcome back brother smileSo, Burning Man was not quite what you expected firedancing wise! Wow. I'm surprised. And I thought it would be like mecca for firedancers!I'm looking forward to reading your detailed review and catching up on the rest of your adventures post Fusion Fest.Finn smile

4,224 posts

Posted:
Traveling, traveling traveling !!!!your plans are great actually. I am planning on a nice loooooooong trip starting next fall :NZ, OZ, indonesia, Malaysia, THailand, Vietnam, Laos, India...As for Europe, know that you both will have a love nest in paris anytime you wish (no beach like pozee's, but hey, I've got view over the eiffel tower wink ).About BM : how many firedancers were there in your opinion ? how was the firedancing show before the burn ????Shine onCass

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
Josh and Katinca, meeting with you both saturday really made my night. That, and spinning together with the girl who taught me how to spin exactly a year ago (Jessica, the girl I was spinning with when we met).I agree with you on your opinion of fire dancing at BM: it's definitely more about quantity than quality. Unfortunately, i didn't get to see Infinite Chaos but I caught Pyrosutra for a quick show and they were gooood. Two of their girls did a fire fingers show, definitely the sexiest thing I saw at BM. For the Fire Conclave show before the Burn (which i was part of), again, it was a fire orgy more than a super-tight performance. There were over 300 fire performers involved so it was total anarchy. I can't imagine how it would have been had the whole thing been choreographed, even in a simple way. 6 girls near my sentinelle were doing coordinated moves and several 2-people teams were doing stuff together, that looked cool.All in all, I had a great experience at BM. Spinning in drum circles, at parties, raves, and before the Burn made me really happy. Now my fingers are hurting and i've got some skin missing because..... i guess i need softer handles!Peace,Nomad

Antti_Panttimember
17 posts

Posted:
Josh and Katinca!!!!I'm sorry that BM wasn't that great amd I'm glad I didn't stay longer in the US just for that. It was great to spin with you and I should've done it more.. My skills still are far from yours but i'm getting really good at spinning poi. Especially moving aggressively but controlled in all directions fast and mixing btb moves with what ever.Keep in touch, Antti

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
Hell yeah Josh and "Kat"! I'm glad you made it through your travels healthy and well. I hope you had "Heaps" of fun while here. Man, I miss our night together. I wish you were to come back now, I've added a couple sick moves to my fire performance. I'm still kinda stuck in glowstick format but I'm sure if I had a good drum beat I'd move my feet a little more. I hope to start saving for the great HOP meat in 2003. Thanks for the glow compliments, they mean a lot coming from you. Eric

Its about talent, not make up or costumes.

4,224 posts

Posted:
oops ! got the hint, Myst.Josh, I am awfully sorry for mistreating your princesse's name from Kate into "Kat". Shine oncassandra

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
Welcome back you two!!I trust the trip was well worth it. Im still dissapointed that i could meet up with you guys, but im sure an opportunity will present itself agian in the future.Wheres my beer Josh??? hahaha just kidding. So i am going to ask the question that i know we all have been wondering...can Myst back up all the crap he talks or what?? Hee hee wink grin grin gringotcha Myst.. Drop me a personal Josh and clue me onthe details..lateSuper'------------------"When a Man Lies He Murders Some Part of the World These Are the PaleDeaths Which Men Miscall Their Lives All this I Cannot Bear to Witness Any Longer Cannot the Kingdom of Salvation Take Me Home"

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

becBRONZE Member
521 posts

Posted:
great to hear you're back... I thought you'd still be away when I visit Adelaide in a couple of weeks (only for a few days, but surely low enough to have a spin together some time...)when I sort out when/where I'll be I'll email you... keen?

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
glad you two made it back safe and sound. it was really great to have you hear. it was the highlight of my fire twirling life. a close second was my first public appearance. hope to one day make it out of hear and maybe meet up with you in some random country. miss you much!

anyone got a light?

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
oh yeah and by the way, i am going to be sending you that video within the next few weeks.

anyone got a light?

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
(Apologies to the Kotter Family)Welcome back Josh, Your dreams were your ticket out. Welcome back, To that same old place that you laughed about.Well, some of the names have changed since you hung around, But those dreams have remained and they've turned around.Who'dve thought they'd lead ya? (Who'dve thought they'd lead ya?) Back herewhere we need ya? (Back here where we need ya?)Yeah, we tease Myst a lot, Cuz we've got him on the spot. Welcome back.Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back. Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back....ade

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
::squeeeeeeeeze:: ::eye contact::need I say more? grin------------------"she dances in a ring of fire and throws off the challenge with a shrug"

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
ok guys,::blushes::dont get me wrong, there was some amazing twirling at BM, in the fire conclave there was also some really good stuff - but out of the 200+ fire performers there really wasnt many that I thought were "Elite" which was the impression I was given as to the quality of the fire conclave membership. I'm not making a blanket statement, just saying that there was a whole lot of ppl in there that didnt seem to do much more than 3 beat forward, butterfly, 3-beat backward..hardly anyone was doing high and low turns even...but that was just in front of me, and perhaps the fire conclaves on the other side were better? I dunno..one thing for sure is that although some fire twirlers there were really safety conscious...I've never seen so much dangerous stuff...ppl twirling in groups, with noone spinning off excess fuel!! argh! no-wonder you US pros come across safety paranoid! I can see now its not paranoia! smileMyst is everything he says he is. I found it difficult to believe but I saw it for myself. Him and Poz showed me glowstick twirling that demanded respect (and anyone that rememebers my pre US-trip glowstick attitude and who knows me will know that they must be good). Im sure it wont be long before Myst is up to speed with fire and then those two will make a lethal combination, both in glow and fire smileYour Beer Sups? you could have told me the US post doesnt allow alcohol in the mail **before** I'd dragged a 6-pack half way around the world to send to you!!! smile argh! smile Still it certainly tasted great at Burning Man.I'll send you a private today.Cass! A Love nest with a view of the eiffel tower!!...mmmmmm wink that sounds nice!Antti; you are too modest...you taught me the btb weave remeber?Bec - absolutely! sure we will meet up. tell me when and where you are staying, and I'll try to work out a place for us to meet up that is suitable. We can pick you up from where ever you are too..(unless there are like 4 ppl in your group).Pozee - meeting up and hanging at your place was definitely a highlight of our trip, as well as a highlight of my twirling life too...I dont think I've learned so much in so short a time before. Keep in touch and we will be sure to cross paths.Ade - thankyou for your thoughtful welcome home message, its appreciated.And beautiful Flash...it looks like you have acquired an even bigger horde of admirers...and all that from 15 seconds of your first burn of the night...imagine what they'd be like if they saw a whole burn up close and personal? winkhehe...::Sqeeeezees and eye contact::Josh

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
so articulate isnt he? thanks a million josh, and i will be certain to keep in touch. by the way i have my first vid on line, you should check it out, i had hair like yoursLOL no seriously i glued long braids into my hair for my performance. it was much fun. well untill we meet again...

anyone got a light?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
lol - I cant see your video xcuz I'm at home and I cant seem to get the latest version of Quicktime to work. at work on monday I'll have a look, cuz my work machine has the very lastest drivers for everything (doesnt it suck being a web developer? - wait! dont answer that wink)so I'll catch it then.Josh

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
Awwwwww, no, no, no, not you super, any one but you. I was reading casually when all the sudden I read my name in a post. Well that wasn't very nice. Josh you're too kind. Grrrrrrr... New shit and no josh to show it to. It's a sad day in the world of poi. There's going to be a big fight over who gets josh when he travels. "Come here", "NO, come here", "hey, over here". Spot, there is no spot, I'm fine with my abilities. Eric

Its about talent, not make up or costumes.

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
Myst- you know im just jerking your chain Brotha!! grin Its out of pure jealousy me poking fun at your expense. Josh...honestly i didnt think about it. I mean how often do i try to mail someone a beer? Sorry dude, i honestly didnt think about it.Theres a World Market store here in Houston, and all they sell is imported items. They have an entire wall of imported beer. This weekend i shall buy me a pack, ill poor a little on the ground for you and my boy Myst, then goto town and kill some brain cells.Super'------------------"When a Man Lies He Murders Some Part of the World These Are the PaleDeaths Which Men Miscall Their Lives All this I Cannot Bear to Witness Any Longer Cannot the Kingdom of Salvation Take Me Home"

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
See Nomad... Now aren't you glad you went after all? (Knucklehead was talking about flakeing just days before...)

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
Josh, you're right on one more thing. I too thought the Conclave was the "elite" (and was proud to be in it!), but really anyone who wants to be part of it pretty much can. There were some real beginners in that circle. I guess Crimson's goal isn't to put together a kick ass performance but to bring in lots of firedancers to showcase a fire spinning orgy before the burn. And that was the case.NYC, you're damn right smileNomad[This message has been edited by Nomad (edited 08 September 2001).]

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hey Josh!good to hear you made it back alive from the playa! i ended up sticking around (no pun intended) till monday morning's exodus.made a few more connections on my way out.i have to tell you, meeting you and kate and nomad was definitely in my top 5 alltime burning man experiences smilealso made friendly with a few of the pyrosutra clan,,, am planning a trip up to seattle soon. with hopes of doing a guest appearance at one of their shows smileanyway,i thank the gods for putting us on the same astral plane at the very right moment of time.i remember a friend asking me to put on a show for him, and then looking out on the playa for someone with some fuel... and spotting you lit up with your stix....have been thinking about graduating to doubles soon. can you recommend a good set of sticks to work with?christian