Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > S.diego, north, and orange county rollcall

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
okay i just want to get an idea of how many of us there are here int the southern cal area. leave your name and contact info here.

i am also wanting to set up a big BBQ and spin session on the beach at my house so everyone let me know if you would like to make it. i am planning on doing it about the 17 of august. please let me know if you are interested, and how many other fire people you can round up to go to this. i want this to be huge...

anyone got a light?

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
hey spanky,
i got you onthe fuel end, no worries. this should be a blast huh? ill see ya there...

anyone got a light?

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
EMERGENCY!!!
nyx's flight will not be in untill 9pm now. we can all still meet up at eight if you like and then we can grab her and cruise back to the meet. it is really up to all of you what you want to do. i will be down in south shores at about 8 o'clock to let anyone that is not online know, so please still go to south shores at the regular time if it is convenient. hope we will still see you all there...

anyone got a light?

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
KICK ASS gathering everyone

Congrats on the Fire breathing Pozee, FireMike and Spanky.

I've got a few wraps to work on. Thanks to Jason.

Calvran, nifty RaV'N's And That sword, needs a lil more kevlar on it heh

NYX!! Nice meating you! (I'm gonna work on not dipping hot wicks... just for safety issues ) Have fun in San Diego.

Everyone else. Suh-weet gathering. 15 people spinning at once? Coolness.

Peace out all,
Kinudin
("Official" candy-man of HoP)

calvranSILVER Member
61 posts

Posted:
That was pretty freaking cool.

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
beloved Nyx, look whatcha did to us, this is post 100 and f'kn 61 in this thread! welcome, and what a bloomin pleasure to play with ya. those slow carousel overhead butterflies while gyradancin ya hips are sooooo sexy killer, got skills, grace, and beauty of face, too, night mistress. yeah, go blush over that one.

yo, Kinudin, Spanky counted: 27 peeps tonight, and about 16? spinning, Calvran and Jarod think we're up to UK gathering scope (and we're all stokin to do a big party Sept/Oct)

hey, Ray started a social discussion thread, bless him, shares our excellent vibes + night with the bigger HoP world: about tonight

pozee, man, props! (and i realized it was totally divine intervention about ya Pirate's poi, think someone brought wire or boltcutters to take off da old wire and leave da heads neat on da rock? nah, some powerful spirit performed dat miracle over da Pacific, just let us feel a presence, now they're blessed, ya remember that when ya touch em)

and tomorrow night, for sure a few will be at our regular South Salt Creek Beach - some may come up from Oceanside, decide tomorrow - directions, check da OC thread, everyone likes Pirate's Cove in particular

i'm feelin more n more we're one def extended family from the Orange Coast thru Oceanside to San Diego, glad to jam with y'all for stuff we all wanna do, like a dj party!!!

[ 14 August 2002, 23:07: Message edited by: FireMike ]

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

FireMikeZ@yahoo.com (personal messages welcome, no promo spam, please!)
Laguna, California, US

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
definatley had a great time with you all lastnight. it was quite the turn out. cant wait to hang out again tonight. safe journey and ill see ya there...

anyone got a light?

1,325 posts

Posted:
https://foozone.net:81/pics/HOP/8-13-2002/

Those are Calvran's pictures... let it load for a while.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
recommened a few good ones for me to try. they are taking a reallly long time. i've got mebbe two.... it's been about ten minutes i think.

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

1,325 posts

Posted:
Mike, I got about 50 minutes of video. Not all of it was good. But the first part has some of the fireworks show in it.

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Wow I have never had so much fun spinning fire. Yall this was definatly the best few days of my life. Nyx and I hung out all day I tell you what she is a very brave person I tried many times to get us both killed and she still wanted to drive around with me!! I will definatly miss her.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
check out the new Nyx party montage pic courtesy of da v 2.2 OrangeFire site. decided to remove the image here in case she's shy, and i'm too unabashed showing it, love her though i may!

y'all PHOTOGRAPHERS, please visit our Past Pics page and click on the left sidebar to our Post Pics page!!! sweet dulce, see how ya like how i edited what's up now for OrangeFire2, if ya wanna give me bigger originals (yours were too small for editing) on our NEW site, skip the old one now. that pic of ya love affair with da Pirate's Lookout rock, i think the one you posted before has proportions distorted.

video, Kinudin, would be SOOO incredible! do you do little MPEGs? I dunno the per-file limit yet, i can check or you can when you use our OrangePics site host. thanks for trying out Calvran's earlier forum option.

i'll put details in our Orange County thread, the few ads are not bad, respectfully hide themselves on contact, even, but y'all GOT to go to our site and scribble in the messageboard, say hi, this is as much for all of San Diego as it is for da north hoods.
~
~

more personally, at the Nyx Afterparty last night at Salt Creek, i had a blast, and though i passed through odd vibes feeling like a carnival barker (y'all know dat oldskool circus lingo?) which happened to be the instinct which possessed me for a bit. thanx to pozee for givin what nature gave him for his people, right in dat rock tunnel, it was ALL good coz i so totally loved the artsy folks who we gathered to the fire in the late part, broke the ice so a whole bunch of virgins busted, and they enjoyed it sooo much. and after da squid adventure you'll hear about later, and an all-night breakfast legs up and laughing at Denny's with Zack, today i finished da website.

damn (good!) even a small crowd is yet unusual around here, we're growin steady, and Bumble's got rave-quality Photoshop fliers ready... how to do that without attracting... San Diego understands... attenshun...

Nyx, ya only just revealed to me you're doing to such a high caliber fire gathering in Santa Cruz, with such deep spirituality! hope ya don't mind my mentioning it (you might, well, we're casual friends in person now, i can take it if ya gotta punch me) - i'm awed, envious, and wishing ya a truly fantastic experience up north. and it honors all our fire family coast to coast.

[ 31 August 2002, 00:27: Message edited by: FireMike ]

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

Laguna, California, US

2,905 posts

Posted:
Man I just can not get enough of how cool those past few days have been. I am going to take my time and pour through all those billions of pics... so dun take any down!!

PoiDragonmember
33 posts

Posted:
Hey...nice pics...but what ever happened to numbers 12,15&16???

The Dragon of The Poi

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
PoiDragon,

some pic #s didn't come out well enough to bother, so some are even deleted on the camera before downloading. as ya see the big dump straight out of a camera onto the foozone.net site has a lot of shluck. i'm editing them out fast as i can, and finding bodies in the murk when we can't see anything on dark shots.

ya can check out our revised shots on our full website now (not the foozone one).

[ 27 August 2002, 13:01: Message edited by: FireMike ]

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

Laguna, California, US

dulce flamesmember
234 posts

Posted:
MIke- How can I send you my pics larger now? I'll investigate in case you've told me somewhere else, but I thought I'd ask since you're on line!

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
yo, Nyx Welcome Party pix up!

[ 27 August 2002, 12:55: Message edited by: FireMike ]

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

Laguna, California, US

2,905 posts

Posted:
Yay... bout time to

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
i was afraid my longer posts were too much of a drag, but you want to read a post if it's talkin good stuff (like the best long HoP posts), so here's my try, frenz, both personal biz which may be for you as well as pozee, then family biz for all:

PERSONAL BIZ:

hey, pozee, i'm comfortable enough in our HoP family here to say here, in case it affected anyone else, besides possibly you:

i apologize for any crudeness (not swearing, just, well, the vibe which had me) of which i'm guilty at moments in the Nyx Afterparty. . . don't know if this includes posting her pic in the party round-up pic in the SD+neighbors thread, as she's camera-shy, though didn't ask we kept her out of the gallery afterward. yesterday, i took down her pic above here. it was too forward of me to add to your fuel-dash on the rock tunnel walls with more, and i must have been shrill echoing the audience to you, when they started calling out about a lil flame happenin on your pants. you knew it, & it was small, so it would go out quick. shoulda let you have your floor & do your space.

in general, my "role" in helping russell, alayna, calvran & the locals who started up OrangeFire with me is to welcome new people, & with a sudden influx of watchers hopin to see a spin coming into that cove while spinners were already leaving to go back to the beach, it was my way of caring for them. not so much what i did, as maybe a lil exaggerated? i tried to explain this in the SD thread as feeling a weird vibe, an instinct for a bit like a carnival barker, but it passed, too. it was a relief to go back to chill soon afterwards, and enjoy the candle-circle swordplay with some groovy artsy newcomers & new old frendz.

pozee, you were totally gracious and pro in stopping to give a last burn in the tunnel, so ya got my props.

FAMILY BIZ:

hey, i think that spot is so sick, sometime with a decent camera, and a good angle which shows it's a tunnel, we gotta shoot it as a primo pic! with advance notice, in some future burn, i think we should be able to attract pro or serious amateur photogs, better than taking time off ourselves from fireplay to try so hard with ordinary cameras so much. though occasionally we've gotten some killer shots, already! hey, i added a notice to those 2 big galleries so far that if ya want higher-res copies of finals i got for now, tell me within about a week n a half, before i delete those offline copies (not the online versions).

pozee, i've always remembered your vision of bringing everybody together in the area, which was so darn enthusing, and to teach & spread the joy. on the fly, it means sometimes doin what ya did so well for the Nyx parties, calling together who ya already know, for a good jam. long-term, it means, especially here between Oceanside & LA, showing our stuff to new peeps so some of them will catch the addiction, but since in this section we're so scattered, that means strangers, really, which is fine, it's what anyone does with a lil promo, even non-commercial, russell's had flyers ready twice now, though we haven't figured out how to safely hand them out publically for what's still half-underground, website & all (we're on web rings, but not "published to search engines", so few will find us who are not looking).

looking at LA, Seattle, London, there are so many cities where there are lots of top troupes. . . which is practice then a little sense of theater for good looks & partnerwork. so they join together in a community/public side, too, & work with the public, locally, with this different kinda approach, though fire thrill's the same when everyone's together. LA had two groups, overlapping, which played this connecting function.

well, just as calvran called together first "South Orange County," then you called together our region, the work (out of devotion) for some of us is basically to grow in what ways will really get us to regular burns with 2-4 dozen people so there's always "a party at our house." i'm wondering and starting to feel out what are the ways? website gives us something to show to the totally virgin public, so my focus was on quality, as much as my poor web programming skills can offer.

sorry, Ray, first coupla galleries our shots were often so iffy, i wanted them to look their best, so ya had to wait another week this time, in future i won't have to edit much unless anyone asks me, we got some good material up now as a first basis. i've noticed all the young kids around here don't join HoP right away, maybe intimidated by it, even though we're friendly, ya know how many of em like just hands-on from someone in front of them.

names for us, ok, we've called our e-ops, site & list, "orangefire," & just replaced both the e-mail addy which said "orange county" and its sig, because it's not just for orange county anymore, and calvran's as excited as i am to go to LA & join groups there sometime for practice.

knew all along, a too-local name would be outgrown, but we're scattered enough that for a few months to come, wish we weren't using a name emphasizing "orange" so we use a local perspective on the coast, calling it the "Orange coast"; it's true, there's really one continuous coastal culture from Palos Verdes to TJ, with variety along it, but all totally different in vibe from PV north to Malibu. "orange" is easy for the new public to remember who are near where our local crew will usually play, but so far, didn't have a catchy name for our region. ya got a better idea, let's use it. see, i'm a strategist at heart better than a tactician, i'm totally flex & fly if i do say so myself, in bigger-than-big views, so we could add, in our online calendar to come, for example, an OceanFire, AngelFire (for LA) & DiegoFire? for SD, then put them all under a bigger regional name like "SoCalFire" or something.

well, a few of you are pros, even commercial pros, many are excellent spinners & never have to be gig pros or admins, just keep givin us all the pleasure of your fine company so we have a good party in the first place, and we're first of all enjoyin good people. anyone who's got hopes for how we can grow, until fire play's minimally established enough in our area at all that we have good burns to go to, a good crowd of friends handy for spinning so catch-a-few isn't so hard, we don't have to drive so much, or if we do, it's worth it, anyone with hopes or feels like helpin move us bigger, even half way to the Seattle or London or NSW Aussie scene, here in the thread pozee started about this, what are your instincts & thoughts?

sincerely,

~ Mike

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

Laguna, California, US

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
of course, for those like pozee who like commercial & non-commercial gigs, we'd be a way to kick up interest from bookers & festivals, too.

wanna see if, for example, Santora Arts events in Santa Ana could do something, or what it would take for those who have/ haven't personal/ group insurance if it's required of us?

[ 31 August 2002, 07:55: Message edited by: FireMike ]

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

Laguna, California, US

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
mike,
sometimes (like right now when i am really tired) your words dont completely set in for me. i dont get the full meaning. but what i am getting at the moment from what you are saying is that you felt a strange vibe from me on the night of the after party. i must wholeheartedly apologize. i was completely happy to spin a bit for the lovely new people that you had brought. i think i was just a little irritated that there were too many people for that wonderful spot on the rock.

i hope that everyone knows that i will never turn down the chance to show someone what i love to do. it is my biggest passion and the only one i have ever truly had in my life.

again i am sorry for giving off a wierd vibe, all your attempts that night came straight from your heart, to give somthing to someone else and that is awesome. you did nothing wrong that night at all. that was a great night.

after wards when we finally got to the beach i mellowed out. i think i was just a bit on edge making sure everyone was safe getting in and out of that tunnel. once on the beach i met some wonderful people. i lit up my staff a few times and actually taught a little and let another guy do his first burn ever with the staff. it really turned out to be a great night over all.

i have to thank you for what you are doing with this orange county thing. it is truly inspirign the way you are getting all these people together. it is amazign how much time you ahve spent on the website and organizing events and also bringing in new people.

i think we all owe you a big thank you mike. you have done somehting wonderful here...

anyone got a light?

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
thanx, pozee.

actually, i'm apologizing for starting any weird vibe myself. tell Jason i'm lookin forward to sharing back some fuel to him, ok?

& all that's really important in the rest is that while we started with a few OC folks, we know and i know for sure what we're doing isn't only an OC thing, we want to be a bridge across SoCal.

so hope y'all don't mind us starting with the OrangeFire name. we've already dropped the "county" word from all our stuff. if y'all can suggest a better name so Oceanside & SD automatically know you're a beloved part of anything we can do, let me know. otherwise, in a week, we'll rename our thread just OrangeFire for now.

~
much love to all, & gratitude for the good friendship. which is especially dear to me as 9/11 approaches, so our next Salt Creek burn is called Phoenix Fire, not all sad & mad on 9/11, but grateful & celebrating our strength, the day after.

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

Laguna, California, US

Nyxenthusiast
385 posts

Posted:
Hi Guys!!
so i'm back home now and not too happy about it but i wanted to express to all you wonderful San Diego people what a wonderful time i had while i was there... you all were way beyond sweet and i'll never forget it!

Kinudin, thanks for the candy! (literally!)

Ray, thanks for the tour and the laughs and...well let's just say that Ray is the only person ever to make me truly nervous with their driving habits! That's saying A LOT considering the crazy drivers and insane situations i have been in throughout my life! Ray's a mad man! (luv ya!!!)

Fire Mike, your enthusiasm is contagious, don't ever change! Maybe next time I won't be so camera shy Thanks for all the flattering things you've said, you're a real sweetie. And those fire sticks were nuts! Be careful!

Pozee, thanks for making it all possible! Next time i'll make sure i have more time to learn some of those wraps you do! You rock.

Dulce, I hope next time we get to spend some time hanging out! Thanks for your kindness

To everyone i haven't mentioned, you are a terrific bunch and i hope when i move to Santa Cruz we can see each other more often!
Oh, didn't i mention? I'm moving to Santa Cruz! This June! Opportunities have opened and i've made the decision to try something new. What the hell, you're only here once so why not try to experience as much as the world has to offer while you can?! Yay!
Hugs to everyone!

"Dancing can reveal all the mystery that music conceals"

~Charles Baudelaire

2,905 posts

Posted:
*Bounces up and down, Bounces up and down, Bounces up and down, Bounces up and down*

Nyx is comming here, well to santa cruze!! But still thats a hell of alot closer than CT (I aint even gonna try to spell it)

Nyxenthusiast
385 posts

Posted:
hey did anyone get pics of that awesome cliff place we spun on?

~Charles Baudelaire

calvranSILVER Member
61 posts

Posted:
Pics of the cliff place? Yes. Pics on the night you were there? Nope I left my camera at home or something, whatever I did I wasn't taking pictures, so unless somebody else from San Diego did, I don't think so...

calvranSILVER Member
61 posts

Posted:
Oh, um, speaking of spins, is anybody gonna come on the 12th? I'm kinda gonna try and promote it and see if any local media will come, maybe to give us an image of "Oh, those nice guys who spun in memory of Sep 11" instead of "Oh, those crazy people who burn things! Let's call the cops!", and if the media does come it would be nice to have firespinners there to represent us, so, yeah...

dulce flamesmember
234 posts

Posted:
I'm planning on coming, yet I havn't MADE any plans yet... Anyone else goin' up? Pozee?? Anyone??

Nyxenthusiast
385 posts

Posted:
yeah, i don't really care if the pics are of the night i was there, i would just love to have a pic of the place and maybe someone spinning at it! it was so beautiful there...

~Charles Baudelaire

dulce flamesmember
234 posts

Posted:
Is tomorrow night still on?????

calvranSILVER Member
61 posts

Posted:
I hope so, otherwise I'm going to be spinning all alone.

Page: ...