Forums > Social Chat > musings on practise poi

Login/Join to Participate

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
Business is business... but it doesnt mean I have to agree... oh and I believe Malcolm has done a lot for a lot of people (globally) and should be congratulated.. he gives back what people give him as well as running a business.... (10 points there) that aside however,just looking around I noticed the *fluffy* poi balls for sale in a local shop... had to laugh... Tennis balls inside of fur fabric does not make for much softer splats into the head.. I also see other practice poi on sale that do more damage to scalp and skin than ordinary fire poi..Not to mention the dodgy clips! Maybe for a person who has been spinning for a few days or just doesn't twirl fast and furious... but they are liable to bend and break and snap so easily it frightens me that ppl can be allowed to sell them. Then again...there's lots of dodgy crap on any market.I wanted to say hear hear for those who make their own .. (oh and those who tell others how to make their own too wink ) I know a (unshopfront-owning) guy who sells practise poi that are awesome.. they're colourful, effective, and weighted wonderfully similar to fire poi and they don't make a thwack, thwock or unfun sound when your hands decide to stop being coordinated... oh and, they won't break.Just some thoughts cause I cared..[This message has been edited by splat (edited 05 September 2001).]

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

rangerbethanymember
70 posts

Posted:
hey splati actually have those uv fluffy poi, but i don't know how to compare them to other poi because the're my first pair. i havn't been POIing for long but i went for them because the're uv and i have uv lights... i would be really interested in getting some poi of your friend. is he at any markets around here? valley? how much do$h?also are you going to acidisco/equinox fest (22 sept)??? grin beth

floating
drifting
fading away
how could these stimulants lead us astray?

Janglamember
155 posts

Posted:
I'm just about to order a set of "Buzz" poi from some site I found. The heads are essentially fluffy bean bags and there's a nice 2-3 ft ripstop nylon UV twin tail on the end - looks very nice.I'll tell you what they're like when they arrive but at 15 quid a go you can't really comlpain too much and with bean bag heads, they won't hurt as much as a tennis ball at 90 mph!!!------------------"We are all of us in the gutter but some of us are looking up at the stars."

---------------------With a bit of luck, his life was ruined; always thinking that just behind some narrow door, in his favourite bars, men in red woolen suits are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know.

rangerbethanymember
70 posts

Posted:
double lucky if it's got a uv cord, just mucking around with mine now smile beth smile

floating
drifting
fading away

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
So what are these fluffy poi like? I just spotted them in the shop. I love fluffy things.Feedback rangerbethany? smile

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Eh - I have friends with poi like these...although without the tails...however theirs have a superlight filling to facilitate a non-painful body bounce for traditional style short poi style dancing.I like em - but my practice poi are my fire poi with covers, so I come from a different camp I guess..however the design doesnt seem inherently crap to me, I've seen clips like those last through hours of beginner punishment smileJosh

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
My practice poi are my fire poi too Josh. But.... when you're pregnant and can't play with fire, non fire alternatives begin to look much more attractive!Finn smile

rangerbethanymember
70 posts

Posted:
finn- soft, fluffy, uv and not broken... yet wink and yes josh they are surviving a beginners bashing grinbeth

floating
drifting
fading away

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
wander what the best non-thwack filling is? Obviously you want some weight (well I do) and you want something that will deform and soak up a lot of its own energy, elasticity prehaps?I was thinking of water in a loose bag but it might burst a little easy and I think Itll still be pretty hard on impact? What about silacon implants or some other gel/jelly filling, shoud have a bit of bounce. Just now I use rice but containment is a problem, too tight and it hurts like a tennis ball, too loose and it tends to break the bag, humm...

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Splat, I think you are right to give a warning. Poi is spreading and not everyone sells good products. What are these wonder practice poi you talk about, Splat ? I am intrigued ...However, Jangla, I can tell you that buzz poi are good and a lot more resistant than zuni + you can take away the tail and just keep the fluffy bean bag for practice. I happen to know the guy who makes them but that does not mean I'd be supporting his products if I did not think they were good. they really are IMHO. Now I must admit that the more I spin, the more I tend to use my fire poi with colorfull tail for daylight practice. I like their heavy weight and maybe I am a bit masochistich too wink And i like making my own poi too now.seriously though, I think these fluffy bag poi are cool for beginners. they are also good if you spin in a tight crowd cause you won't knock someone unconscious with it AND, they are good when you try some new tricky moves like the bloody BTB fountain... which is still driving me nuts... but that's another storyOh and rocket scientist ... silicone implants ??? maybe Pamela Anderson could give you helpfull advise on what to pick ? lol.Shine onCassandra[This message has been edited by cassandra (edited 07 September 2001).]

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

DmAlterEgo
128 posts

Posted:
My tip and 2 pence worth - I have a couple of Poi:When learning new tricks I have some Poi similar to the practice Poi on this site (but a bit nicer I think) with tennis balls inside. I've put a few slits in the tennis balls, about 3 or 4 about a 3rd of the ball diameter long. This makes them very squidgy, which is essential when learning new tricks, espically at head height!For normal practice and day use I use my fire poi (wire, square kevlar wick, very nice!) covered with shiny green cloth from handle to poi. No tail, but looks good and with no tail they act the same with and without covers.

We're nothing but the nerds they think we are

RavingLunaticmember
286 posts

Posted:
squidgy, I think that's gonna be my word of the day.------------------~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
little teddy bear on the end of a bit of stringBest to hold the teddy by a noose round its neck, it doesn't slip like that the soft option..

SorchaTheFlamingmember
235 posts

Posted:
smile i saw a girl with a pair of homemade poi.. at first they looked like anvils on strings which made me blink for a moment but then i saw what they really were.. they were a tennis ball with some of that fake leather on it it was glued down with crayola glitter glue (red) the leather was cut to make a pyramid like from geometry class. it also had a pot smoking alien head on it (had to add that)it was really a neat first set. im going to make a pair with some foam rubber and make a GWAR style pair of maces..it hink it would be funny.. GWAR is funny too------------------A Faeries Heart Beats Fierce and Free!!!!!

Teach tolerance, not competition.
Send food, not bombs.

Janglamember
155 posts

Posted:
Rocketscientist - bean bags would provide one of the best light impact fillings possible - the filling itself is light but becasue it's made up of lots of beans, any impact energy is rapidly dissipated in the bag before if hurts you. But once you get good I can see the benefit of using proper fire poi ( with a tail added if you like ) as you get used to the extra weight, plus you build dexterity and endurance much quicker.------------------"We are all of us in the gutter but some of us are looking up at the stars."

---------------------With a bit of luck, his life was ruined; always thinking that just behind some narrow door, in his favourite bars, men in red woolen suits are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know.

CareyBearmember
9 posts

Posted:
This is not *exactly* on topic, but I made my own practice poi (this is my third set), and, on the grounds that practicing poi is about the only exercise I get apart from dancing or sex *ahem*, I made them enormously heavy - almost two kilos each (chains and heavy rubber) with four tails about a meter long in UV fabric. They are almost ridiculously hard to use, but I'll say this - my shoulders are already stronger and my precision with the fire poi has gone up remarkably - after hitting myself a few times with these, I haven't done it again, though it doesn't hurt as much as you'd expect.I can't recommend this unless you're either a masochist or just plain silly like me, but that's my two cents.

emthrenmember
57 posts

Posted:
CareyBear, mind if I ask what the heavy rubber was sold as?Am wanting to add some weight to my poi to gain strength, but fishing sinkers are all that come to mind - and they're a bit too dangerous.