Page:
arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
okay i'm not sure the best way to do this but i'd love to meet as many of you guys as i can this year! maybe we could all meet at the main fire circle on a certain day, or list our camps here in this thread, or maybe nobody cares. i at least wanted to try. i'm open to suggestions here.

we'll most likely be hanging near the "El Cirque" folks. they've got geodomes and freaks. we'll have my blue bus, visuals, and there'll most likely be lots of really loud good dark fat beats coming from the huge sound system we have. everything from indian music to drum and bass to ambient to bauhaus. we most certainly will have a fire dancing arena, along with all kinds of other circus arts activities, martial arts, stilts, gymnastics, clown stuff, etc. and babes spinning fire. and me

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

Nyxenthusiast
385 posts

Posted:
Yay!! I'm happy you'll be in our camp! I don't know if i'll be able to get any cream cheese and strawberry jelly so you might want to pick some up to put in your dry ice contraption I can't wait!!!!!!

Pozee.........
you still can't come? i'm coming to kidnap you!

"Dancing can reveal all the mystery that music conceals"

~Charles Baudelaire

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by master sodium:

and the best garb to be in out there is naked at night. nothing better then naked at night. but no naked in the day, naked sunburn is bad bad bad very bad.

Yes, but naked at night is cold, cold, very cold. Naked during the day is fine...just LIBERALLY USE SUNSCREEN (especially on your pointy end if you're a guy).

And chapstick is, next to water, the most important thing to have. You know you're at Burning Man when someone steals your bike and you're utterly nonplussed, but someone steals your chapstick and you're ready to kill.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
cold? at night? I'm not too sure what you're talking about. but since I live like 3 hours from the site, I'm kinda used to the hot day/cold night thing. only real problem is shrinkage. oh yeah, there also is the likelyhood of excessive anal dust, and crotch mud. gotta love the crotch mud.

nyx, I'll be sure to pick up some cream cheese and strawberry jelly (maybe some blackberry too). dunno how I'm gonna get toast without a toaster, but I'm gonna do it dammit.

only 25 days, yes 25 days, til I go HOME!!

you can't have a war against terrorism because war IS terrorism.it's not about worshipping fire. its about making the fire want to worship you.

Nyxenthusiast
385 posts

Posted:
Toast? Who needs toast when you've got saltines?! Try it with the cream cheese and jelly and mmmmmmm!
As for the nakedness.....well don't be surprised if i randomly burst out laughing....nothing personal but for some reason people wandering about naked like it's nothing always triggers a laughing bout with me! LOL, theres an island near me i visit regularly that has a large nudist population and it never fails to crack me up! I think i'll be laughing a lot at BMan!

~Charles Baudelaire

master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
dont worry about laughing when I'm naked, I get it all the time .

and after about an hour you'll forget they're even naked. its just a naked overload. I've been to nude beaches and stuff, but this takes the cake, and strips it down naked too.

but I'll bet by night of the burn, we'll be seeing nyx in the good ole b-day suit . it happens to just about everybody.

you can't have a war against terrorism because war IS terrorism.it's not about worshipping fire. its about making the fire want to worship you.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
The other problem with naked at BRC is sand storms. Ouch.

The most useful piece of daytime clothing I could recommend is a lab coat. It's white (cool in the hot sun), is long so that it offers protection from sand, and it looks pretty cool.

-Mike

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
the other problem with "naked at burning man" is the big oozing acne that the playa dust will give you on your bum. i mean, here's your chance to show off your hindquarters to all the supasexycool artists in the country and your butt looks like you glued a bunch of apples to it! nasty!

-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

Nyxenthusiast
385 posts

Posted:
Oooo, i want a lab coat! it'll look good with my black platform boots!
Naked by the night of the burn?.....maybe scantily clad but i doubt i'll be naked...you gotta leave SOMETHING to the imagination!

~Charles Baudelaire

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
okay, guys, seriously that was just a joke! he he, you know, ... no really, guys, really. guys...

guys?

master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
yeah, yeah, last year before I went I said the same thing. "there's no way in hell I'd be naked out there" but lo and behold it still happened. the energy out there just makes you want to try all kinds of new things. but there's nothing wrong with clothes.

Maximusmember
250 posts

Posted:
Heh, the weather is such a BM factor, a wild card if you will. The first year I went was 1997, and it was so hot and still that nudity at night was a comfortable way to walk around. It hasn't been as hot since, but even then people didn't walk around like it was a nudist camp. Most everyone covered up their private parts somehow. Sarongs for guys was common. And we've noticed the popularity of thongs on the Playa.
Personally, I like fantasy costumes with some nudity to total nudity.
And I got some more news about fire performance at Burning Man.
Kid's Camps is asking for fire performers for a show for the kids on Wednesday at Kid's Camp. They want the kids that go there (bless them) to be able to experience fire performances in the security of Kid's Camp.
So they have a designated and approved fire area, and they are inviting fire performers to sign up and wow the kids.
Sign-up's are after sundown on Wednesday at Kid's Camp.
I love performing for kids.

Maximus

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Haven't been back to HOP in a while, but I'll definitely be at Burningman (in Gigsville, despite being from Houston). Arashi - doubt you'll remeber me, but you spent about 30 minutes trying to teach me the bull whip at Flipside.

I've flown with burnt wicks since 9/11. I double bagged them in ziplocks and checked them. Security has been bolstered since then, so I won't promise you'll get away with it though. I just plan on making new wicks for whenever I travel by air now. Another alternative of course it to give your wicks to someone driving out there - there will be plenty of people doing so from every major (and most minor) US and Canadian city. Burners love to help burners. The trouble is finding them out there if they aren't with one of the more prominent theme camps.

As far as advice for virgin burners, my main thing is do not go barefoot under any circumstances. the combination of the alkali in the playa and all the rebar sneaking around holding down tents and other structure will eat your feet alive. Sandles are almost as bad. I recommmend boots at all times. The better you protect your feet, the happier you will be. Trust me on this one, or you will wind up in Hotel Moron (the first aid tent).

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
oh, and BTW, the whole fire on the playa only thing - the man is not in the city, he is on the playa, so there is no problem gathering there. Also, I assure you that you will see plenty of fire in the confines of the city. They are crazy if they think they can enforce that rule! Are they kidding?

-v-

Nyxenthusiast
385 posts

Posted:
*bump*

~Charles Baudelaire

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I actually wore sandals during the day and did fine.

My big bit about BRC is that you have to accept that, no matter what, you are going to get dusty. And just count your lucky stars if you don't get muddy!

Playa dust is a fact of life. There is no escape. I still have playa dust on some of my belongings. I consider it a memento.

I don't care if your camp sets up a shower. On Saturday afternoon last year, I had a nice shower and shave. Of course, water and playa dust like each-other, so no sooner was I out of the shower than I was coated in dust again.

When I returned from Burning Man, my car needed two runs through the car wash to get it clean. It took about an hour of wiping down the inside with a wet rag to get rid of the dust in there.

Dust is a BRC fact of life. Relish it.

-Mike

Nyxenthusiast
385 posts

Posted:
Hey, i got 15" metal stakes for my tent, think that'll be enough to guard against the wind at BMan?
And pozee, can i still learn how to stilt wallk from your lovely friends though you won't be there?

~Charles Baudelaire

master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
learn to embrace the dust. my car still bears a cockpit full of sweet sweet playa dust. mmmmmmm. . . I can taste it on my food already.

and remember to bring about 100 pairs of socks. you can never have enough socks out there. I'm sure you think I'm exagerating but I'm not. even three pairs a day probably isn't enough.

20 days left. . . but who's counting

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Nyx:
Hey, i got 15" metal stakes for my tent, think that'll be enough to guard against the wind at BMan?
And pozee, can i still learn how to stilt wallk from your lovely friends though you won't be there?

I had a dome tent, which won't fly away as long as you have really heavy stuff (all your gear) in there.

Now, listen up! and do me a favor everyone. Make darned sure that you have a way of clearly marking the location of each stake and the lines they are attached to. Plastic caps, little flags, day-glo ribbons, etc. Even if you are wearing sturdy shoes, it sucks to trip over a stake or a line.

-Mike

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Well, MikeGinny must have feet of steel, because everyone in my camp who wore sandles last year had cracked and bloody feet by day 4. I wore boots constantly, and my feet still peeled layer after layer of skin for weeks after getting home (but they were never cracked and bloody!). My experience was definitly closer to Master Sodium's - multiple pairs of socks a day were found to be essential.

what was said about the playa dust is true. if you want to recreate the experience at home - go buy a peice of wallboard (they actually make this out of refined playa - you pass a wallboard factory on the way from Reno to Black Rock City), powder all of it, roll around in it, snort a couple lines of it, and lick the remainder off the floor. Once you've done that, you will have a fair idea of how the playa feels, smells, and tastes - none of which you have any hope of getting away from except for very brief, fleeting moments. Despite this, Burningman is absolutely fabulous.

rebar is the best stake out there, and the thinner the better - fat stakes are more likely to fracture the playa around them and comprimise the holding ability of the ground. for a tent, 2 feet long, 1/4 inch diameter is good. You can find it pre cut to this size at many hardware stores - at least big ones like Home Depot anyway. Bend over the top 6 or 8 inches and pound it all the way down so that people (like yourself) don't impale their feet or take all the skin off their shins. The 15 inch stakes you bought should work fine - just cap them as MikeGinny said please. Be sure to stash that heavy stuff on the upwind side of your tent though!

-v-

Nyxenthusiast
385 posts

Posted:
Thanks guys, i think these stakes should work well and they are already capped. What's with the socks? Why so many? Sweat? I've got really comfy berk sandals i was going to wear but what kinda boots were you talking about? Hiking boots? I'm writing this and all my gear is spread around the floor, i'm trying to pick and choose what i take so thanks for the help!

~Charles Baudelaire

Nyxenthusiast
385 posts

Posted:
Oh yeah... a water question...
I'm with a big theme camp, as most of you know, but we're still responsible for personal water consumption (drinking and washing) cooking water is provided. We'll be stopping in Reno to gather supplies on the way and i guess i was figuring on just buying a bunch of gallon jugs of bottled. 2 gallons per day? More? What does the vast experience here say?
Thanks again!!

~Charles Baudelaire

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
why so many socks you ask? It's because of the playa dust that will accumulate in them. You want your feet to be protected at all times and free from the dust which is mostly alkali anyway. The alkali will do nasty things to the bottom of feet (dry them out, make them all cracked which causes them to bleed). So, you want many CLEAN pairs of socks so that your feet can stay playa free. As for boots, hiking boots would work I suppose. You want something that goes above your ankles so that the playa dust won't be able to work its way down towards your feet as easily. The higher up your calf they go, the better. Also, the tighter they fit to your body the better. All the protection is so that your feet will stay nice and playa free so that you will be able to walk around and enjoy yourself without being in constant pain.
It is also nice to put lotion on your clean feet right before going to bed and then cover them with a clean pair of socks. This makes your feet nice and happy in the morning.

Maximusmember
250 posts

Posted:
I completely agree about socks. I got a severe case of playa foot last year from walking around in sockless sandles. All my toes were cracked and bleeding. I had to limp into Hotel Moron (the first aid station) and get my toes cleaned, lathered with antibiotics, and individually bandaged.
I could only wear the big rubber boots I bring for slogging through the mud to the port-a-potties in the morning. My physical ability to firedance at the Man was in question. But once I started taking proper care of them my feet recovered rapidly and I was able to dance in my cowboy boots in the final ceremony.
As for water, 2 gallons a day sounds good. Isaac and I take 1.5 gallon water each per day, plus a case of assorted juices and power drinks each, and a couple cases of beer each.
And then there's all my absinthe...

Last night's rehersal was so good.
Maximus

Nyxenthusiast
385 posts

Posted:
Mmmmmmm...absinthe....
Huh? where was I?
Oh yeah.... are we still all planning on meeting at the man at dark on Tuesday? I'm firming stuff up now cause i leave for california this sunday and will be there straight through to BMan....yay!!!
Thanks for the advice guys!

~Charles Baudelaire

master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
it works even better if you soak the sock in the lotion before bed. there's alot of other ways to prevent playa foot. go to the website (burningman.com) and look it up.

I say at least 2.5 gallons a day, but not all needs to be palable. I didn't use nearly all of it last year, but it was nice to know it was there. sh!t happens on the playa.

and I still plan to meet tuesday at the man. if no one else shows up well damn, I guess I'm just gonna hafta spin fire.

master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
oh yeah. toilet paper. you can never have enough toilet paper.

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
If you bring your own toilet paper, just make sure that it is the 1-ply stuff. The porta-potties can't handle the nice stuff, and you don't want nasty clogged potties, do ya?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Yeah, the bitch about water at Burning Man is that it's really the one thing that you can't compact. Powdered water is way too expensive.

But there is no such thing as too much water at Burning Man. Yeah, maybe you'll have a lot left over at the end, but that's a hell of a lot better than running out.

Running out of water = death. No bullshit.

Oh, and you know how you're supposed to normally drink about 2 liters of water a day in normal life? You need about four on the Playa. That's one gallon right there. And you won't even piss clear drinking that much.

Other necessaries: eyeshade and earplugs. Your best bet is to sleep as much as possible during the day and to be active at night. You conserve energy by sleeping during the hot day (if you can manage to get to sleep) but it's noisy in BRC, so the earplugs and eyeshade are going to help a lot.

-Mike

Maximusmember
250 posts

Posted:
Oh, Mike. Don't be so melodramatic.
If you run out of water you don't die. You just go over to your neighbors and ask. One of the greatest thing about Burning man is the experiment of a self-governing self-supporting city of artists. Everybody throws together in a way you only see during earthquakes, blackouts, or 9/11-type events in regular society.
But he is right about having to drink your water.

Must stop talking about Burning Man...
*pop*
Maximus

[ 09 August 2002, 14:22: Message edited by: Maximus ]

master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
yes, but still tis better to have your own water, rather then be the black rock city bum. but you also could talk to a ranger or police officer, and they would hook you up.

only 19 days left

Page: