Forums > Social Chat > the growing evolution of twirlers?

Login/Join to Participate

rangerbethanymember
70 posts

Posted:
i'd like to congradulate everyone involved in the making and maintaning of this website, giving all us likeminded people an excelent avenue to meet up, educate ourselves and keep the passion flowing. being a newbie i feel a great debt to persons involved from the amount of new and wonderful tricks i have learnt from this site that otherwise would not have been possible as twirlers in these parts seem to be few and far between.my concerns however is of the evolution of spinning and twirling. will we one day cease to exist? or is this only the start of a crazy colourful twirling world? how many twirlers do you know? it seems a good staffer is already to hard to find and the majority of POIers i know haven't been POIers for more than a few years. (maybe i havn't been out enough to know more of you. please correct me if i'm wrong.) should it be our duty to spread fire throughout the world and grow in numbers? or reserve this as sacred for fewer *serious* twirlers? imho firetwirling is an art and there will always be artists, but what if we don't inspire the next generation of twirlers? could we ever know realistically how many others there are now, or before our time? my question to you, my fellow twirlers, is thus, is this the beginning of firetwirling or, (*laughs@cliches*) the end? confusedsorry i should have said glo and fire alikebeth ------------------floating drifting fading awayhow could these stimulants lead us astray?

floating
drifting
fading away
how could these stimulants lead us astray?

DmAlterEgo
128 posts

Posted:
Hey Beth,I don't think Poi and Staff twirling is fading, quite the opposite! I've only been spinning for a few months, but in that time I've introduced and taught a few newbies the art. Most of them are now as addicted as I am!Poi and staff twirling definitely seems to be getting more popular in the UK. In clubs, parties, beaches and parks you often find twirlers spinning away.So, here's to a long and firey future!Dom

We're nothing but the nerds they think we are

Marlboromember
180 posts

Posted:
Beth, I think as long as there is people and fire, there will be people who will use fire for art/fun/adrenalin rushes, be it poi-ing, using staffs, or other toys we have yet to concieve. :-)~~

We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold.

JaedenGOLD Member
220 posts

Posted:
I would think that there being lots of twirlers who have only been spinning for a short time would tend to indicate that this is growing in popularity, not dying.At least I hope that's the case smile------------------'There is a fist pressing against anyone who thinks something compelling'

The world is not out to get you but if you fight it you will be eaten alive

FevaGirlmember
21 posts

Posted:
I have been spinning poi for about 1 year and I must say it is not fading...I have taught several people and see new people all the time out spinning...I don't think it will ever die not if I have anyhting to do with it!Fevagirl wink

Peace, Beats, Love and Light!

MystikDancermember
118 posts

Posted:
I've asked around here, and some of the people haven't even HEARD of twirling, fire dancing, poi, or any of the other terms.But I'm not worried at all. I know, once people understand how incredible it is, I can bet there will be some deicated people who will go for it.As of right now, the community is quite large!My time in high-school is running very short, but I think, if I start now, next year I may very well perform some simple things at the school show (with glowsticks or something of course). That is, IF I think I'm good enough to represent the poiers. So people can see how beautiful it is. smile-=M-D=-

Bassmanmember
95 posts

Posted:
Poi swinging is not going to go away any time soon, but I would imagine that the culture of poi swinging is going to be quite different 10 years from now. I'm sure that it will take from and give to other art forms. Also, more fire twirling clubs will probably pop up, as well as more local burning man like festivals, leading to more organized poi swinging. Those types of things definitely have an impact on poi culture.

MystikDancermember
118 posts

Posted:
Burning Man actually was the door opening me to this!

blax2600member

Posted:
I have just recently started twirling. I started about a month ago. And I definatly think the popularity of twirling is growing. I used to go to raves and so how beautiful the glowsticks looked. Hopefully soon I will be skilled enough to perform. I have taught others what little I do know and I can definatly tell the popularity of twirling is growing.

rangerbethanymember
70 posts

Posted:
thanks all for your thoughts, it's good to e reassured of these things sometimes. grin i guess the fact that i'm in brisbane isn't the best avenue to meet people, yes yes i know there are quite a few of us around (not many come in here i see) but i live a bit away from others like me.oh and i know it's completely off the topic but i'd like to apoligize for the recent turn in events with the australian governmentrefugee crises. john howard should be shot! madbeth

floating
drifting
fading away
how could these stimulants lead us astray?

YODA.BRONZE Member
3 posts

Posted:
Hey - No i think there is no way that twirling will cease to exist - it is my opinion that is growing bigger and bigger - this is an amazing art and there are thousands of talented fellow twirlers there just not in the public eye - i gues that is the beauty of this- serious twirlers dont twirl for others they twirl for the shere enjoyment. I personally twirl as a form of meditation - it seems to take all my troubles away.. Do you no what a Doof is? were are you from? - Wel if not i guess it is similar to a rave - Just a massive big tripped out party in the bushes full of trippers and trippy music..... The best twirlers i have ever met in my life go to these events.... There fu*king wicked..

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
wow a > 6 year bumb, Nice thread.

I would say we are currently at the end of the beginning for fire arts.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
There seems to be a lot of old bumping at the moment. strange.
Yeah i don't thing poi or staff spinning is going away any time soon.

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
wow! the original poster's name is bethany! ubbrollsmile

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

GitasGuyPooh-Bah
2,303 posts

Posted:
is that all you have to offer on this topic.... Geeeeezzz!! I'm going now...

:admires giant wooden aeroplane: Its about time trees were good for something, instead of just standing their like jerks!!! ubblol ubbtickled

Homer rocks!!!! ubblol ubbrollsmile

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
Festivals surrounding twirling, at least in Australia, are relatively new. Common Ground has only been around for the third year this year, and Uberoz had its second year this year. MJC had its first year this year. I can't speak for the Sydney Juggling Convention but it is probably relatively new too.

Most of these events have grown exponentially since they first started. More new people are taking to the art smile

I have to echo what YODA said, though. Cease to exist, the fire twirlers will not biggrin

&#2384;

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
ubblol ubblol ubblol

Reading the initial post brings back sweet memories rolleyes

Written by: RBG

my concerns however is of the evolution of spinning and twirling. will we one day cease to exist? or is this only the start of a crazy colourful twirling world?

Oh man, now I really feel like getting old ubbcrying *sob*

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink