Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Poi and Staff workshops in Spitalfields Market EC1 London

Login/Join to Participate
Page: 1...4849505152...56
SpacemonkE
Total posts: 25
Posted:----------- Spinning@... Update -----------

Dear all

we have moved to a new location.... se here for the new treead

http://www.homeofpoi.com/ubbthreads/show.../o/fpart/1/vc/1

see you at the rag factory..

this is why we have moved...

We had discussions in the pub on Tuesday regarding the use of the market for spinning@spitz and thanks to friends we have a much clearer idea of whats going on:

Unfortunately we are not allowed back into the market for our workshops. It seems that while we have been out the market for the work, there has been a change of management. The new management appears to want to increase the value of the market area (gentrification is the term being used). This has led to many of the existing tenants not being invited to re enter the market, our selves included.

The stgeorges residents association would have had no idea we would not be allowed back in, so although annoying its not their fault. We still have contacts in the market and we dont want to cut out any future possibility of re-entering the market at a later date by kicking up a fuss, especially when there is no chance at all of us using the space in the current climate.

We need to do 2 things 1. Find a temporary place to play ASAP (see top) and 2. Find a permanent new home to help us move forward we need your help. Please think of the people around you, be it your parents, friends, colleagues etc and see if there is anyone who may be able to finds us a new home put the feelers out there.

If you find somewhere that fits our criteria (see below) then please get a contact name, a number or email and if appropriate, have a brief chat with them as a recommendation or personal contact makes a huge difference. If they are interested, forward their details to me and I will then chase it up.

We require an indoor or covered outdoor area with adequate lighting able to house up to 100 people on a Tuesday evening within 10mins from a tube and centrally located. We also require power to run a portable stereo.

On another note we have decided to have a Xmas party to raise some funds to help us secure a new spinning@..... s venue. The confirmed date is Thursday 20th December in a Brixton from about 7.30 pm to 1 am. More details to follow.

Hopefully we will get sorted very soon and in the meantime we will meet at the poet next week and maybe look at ice skating, bowling or something else there after.

Huge hugs

Kev and the guys at spinning@.... s

grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug

EDITED_BY: Dom (1208047279)

Perspective allows us to live in a world of incomprehensible possibility, simply by blinding us to almost all of it Were not horses, yet we all wear blinkers...

Delete Topic

The Tea Fairy
The Tea Fairy

old hand
Total posts: 853
Posted:Hi All

How's everybody doing? I haven't posted on HOP for about 1 year (Got addicted at work so had to stop, then went abroad and currently no internet at home!). Good to see it's all still here!

Anyways, I've started working near Old Street so I guess I'm pretty close to Spitz now and may turn up next week... biggrin

Haven't been practicing this year though, so my arms will get tired very quickly but I miss spinning.

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

Delete

sunbeam
sunbeam

old hand
Total posts: 1032
Posted:yay! bounce

i'll be there

hugs aplenty

sunny

"I don't take drugs. I am drugs" - Salvador Dali

sunny

Delete

scotty

Total posts: 2
Posted:hey

been meaning to come for weeks now but haven't got around to showing up....will spitz being running tomorro?

Delete

Dom
Dom

Carpal \'Tunnel
Total posts: 3009
Posted:Yep, it'll be there.
I think it's been runing almost every week for years now.

Delete

simian
simian

110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
Total posts: 3149
Posted:four years to be exact...

and we missed Spitz'es 4th birthday, it was two months ago...

generally i'd remember and tell ewan and we'd have a party and that.

but i forgot redface doh!

i'll see if i can convince Kev to have a late birthday spitz party. It may be hard convincing him though.

Kev hates parties.

and fun.

and children.

and especially kittens. Oooooooh he HATES kittens.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Delete

maus
maus

Carpal \'Tunnel
Total posts: 4191
Posted:City Mouse!!

Hello, I'm in London bank Holiday weekend! biggrin

I've got plans already made for Fri and saturday night,

but was wondering if there was anything going on at all on the sunday afternoon/evening????/ confused

Also I may possibly need a place to crash on the sunday night if anybody has any spare floor/sofa space that would be great!
I've give good hugs, and make a cracking fried brekkie aswell! wink

Delete

newgabe
newgabe

what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
Total posts: 4030
Posted:Well Maus if the SUnday you refer to is th 27th August, there is a Partay happening at the Synergy Centre (near Oval) from about 9- 3 (night time....) Dave's putting it on for my birthday.... yippeee! and there'll be all sortsa folks there... sounds, spinning etc..... come along! biggrin

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

Delete

maus
maus

Carpal \'Tunnel
Total posts: 4191
Posted:Ooh! Now that does sound exciting!!! Are you sure you don't mind a random(ish) coming along?

I'm staying in Kentish Town and may well be able to blag another night there, but i don't think thats very far from the Oval is it?

bounce bounce clap bounce bounce

Delete

newgabe
newgabe

Posted:ubblol Maus, you'er not a random! I've even met you!

You are totally welcome.. as are any other HoPpers or relavant friendly types...

Here's your official invite!

Kentish Town's not far and it's very close to where I am staying in London anyway. smile

Delete

UCOF
UCOF

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 15414
Posted:Pssst..Maus.. you're a girl innit? confused
Fancy staying on the boat? ubblol

ubbangel

Delete

Eveish
Eveish

*Tickles pretty strangers*
Total posts: 610
Posted:hello all,
um, I will be in london for just one night.. tonight, (wednesday 23 aug) does anyone have a couch or floor that I can crash on tonight?? My accomodation has just fallen through... help!! help I wont have access to the net after sending this message.. so please call or text me on 07765914102 if you have anywhere for me! *hugs to you all*
Eve

What if I should fall right through the centre of the Earth and come out the other side where people walk upside-down?!

Delete

duballstar
duballstar

slack rating - 9.5
Total posts: 2216
Posted:i ubblove spitz.. it rocks! biggrin grouphug bounce

that's the first time i've been in months and everyone else decides to turn up out the woodwork on the same night... brilliant timing! great night, was lovely to see everybody - i think i might even come again next week as well... ubbrollsmile

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

Delete

Eveish
Eveish

Posted:thanks guys!!! I have a couch smile *hugs to you all*
Eve

What if I should fall right through the centre of the Earth and come out the other side where people walk upside-down?!

Delete

newgabe
newgabe

Posted:Hey Evish you coming to the partay on Sunday??

Delete

Durbs
Durbs

Classically British
Total posts: 5688
Posted:Bingly bong

Think I'll pootle along tonight, unless the train-strike related traffic is REALLY bad in which case I'll give up half way...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Delete

ekawong
stranger

Posted:is the poi workshop taking place tomorrow?
:P just checkin.

Delete

duballstar
duballstar

slack rating - 9.5
Posted:yep smile

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

Delete

newgabe
newgabe

Posted:oooooooooh I won;t be there tonight cos I am on the wrong side of the world, but HELLO!!! and hugs to all of you who made me so welcome....
xxxxxx
G

Delete

*robyn*
*robyn*

Total posts: 111
Posted:i'm starting to go through the spitz withdrawal.

hug

my state of mind creates my world

Delete

Eveish
Eveish

Posted:hi all..
is there anyone here who would be able to give me a hand at the thames festival over the weekend of 15-16 Sept? I need someone to be there to help with re-fueling for my fire act, or to stand there with a fire blanket (more for show) at the night carnival of the festival - should be a heap of fun - only need you for a couple of hours, then maybe we can have a bit of a spin? PM me for details.. please pretty please with ice cream on top!!!!!

Delete

ekawong
stranger

Posted:hey duballstar, thanks for the info.
sorry, i won't be able to go tonight. bleah. been wanting to go (i'm a bit shy :P) but i knocked off late.
catch you there another time!

Delete

Sambo_Flux
Sambo_Flux

Introverted
Total posts: 833
Posted:I've not been down before, but I'm seriously tempted.... I'll probably come down next Tuesday (I'd love to come tomorrow but I'm in the middle of a rather messy house move...) biggrin

I look forward to meeting all you lot and hopefully learning some new stuff....

BTW is the info in the first post still correct?

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

Delete

Eveish
Eveish

Posted:um.. are you sure no one wants to help me out here... I really need a fire assistant for this weekend!!! Its only like.. two hours sunday night.... pretty please? someone?

Delete

Eveish
Eveish

Posted:and did I mention that its paid?

Delete

duballstar
duballstar

slack rating - 9.5
Posted:what time? i would like to come and meet/help you and have a spin, paid or not, but i think i'm still gonna be in brighton, or at least too hungover to get past guildford...
rolleyes
i should be alright for spitz this tues though... biggrin

Delete

Matty_B
Matty_B

veteran
Total posts: 1314
Posted:I am in london for a course next week, so maybe see some of you at spitz on tuesday 26th ?

Delete

The Tea Fairy
The Tea Fairy

old hand
Total posts: 853
Posted:I might be there next Tuesday, I work near Spitz but I haven't had the energy or guts to come meet you all yet... every time I think 'yes, this week is the week I shall go to Spitz' I forget to take my poi to work!

I haven't picked up my poi for nearly a year as well, but I'm starting to really miss spinning! Need some spank to get my ass in gear!

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

Delete

newgabe
newgabe

Posted:spank spank spank spank spank spank spank spank spank spank spank spank biggrin biggrin biggrin

Off you go then!

Delete

mandala
mandala

Total posts: 7
Posted:oh.it's what I was looking for !!! smile I'm in London (first time) in October.I'll try to get a job (it's something new for me wink ).I had hope that I'll find place where I can learn something and meet people.I'm spinning poi and juggling balls but I'm not good :P but I have motivation to do it... I'll find You wink smile

Delete

Sambo_Flux
Sambo_Flux

Introverted
Total posts: 833
Posted:Right, my first Spitz tomorrow, I'll be down for definite! Yay! I'm really looking forward to meeting you guys and gals and learning some new stuff..... biggrin

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

Delete

Page: 1...4849505152...56