Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Poi and Staff workshops in Spitalfields Market EC1 London

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
SpacemonkEmember
25 posts

Posted:
----------- Spinning@... Update -----------

Dear all

we have moved to a new location.... se here for the new treead

[Old link]

see you at the rag factory..

this is why we have moved...

We had discussions in the pub on Tuesday regarding the use of the market for spinning@spitz and thanks to friends we have a much clearer idea of what’s going on:

Unfortunately we are not allowed back into the market for our workshops. It seems that while we have been out the market for the work, there has been a change of management. The new management appears to want to “increase the value” of the market area (gentrification is the term being used). This has led to many of the existing tenants not being invited to re enter the market, our selves included.

The st’georges residents association would have had no idea we would not be allowed back in, so although annoying its not their fault. We still have contacts in the market and we don’t want to cut out any future possibility of re-entering the market at a later date by kicking up a fuss, especially when there is no chance at all of us using the space in the current climate.

We need to do 2 things… 1. Find a temporary place to play ASAP… (see top) and 2. Find a permanent new home… to help us move forward we need your help. Please think of the people around you, be it your parents, friends, colleagues etc and see if there is anyone who may be able to finds us a new home… put the feelers out there.

If you find somewhere that fits our criteria (see below) then please get a contact name, a number or email and if appropriate, have a brief chat with them as a recommendation or personal contact makes a huge difference. If they are interested, forward their details to me and I will then chase it up.

We require an indoor or covered outdoor area with adequate lighting able to house up to 100 people on a Tuesday evening within 10mins from a tube and centrally located. We also require power to run a portable stereo.

On another note we have decided to have a Xmas party to raise some funds to help us secure a new spinning@..... ‘s venue. The confirmed date is Thursday 20th December in a Brixton from about 7.30 pm to 1 am. More details to follow.

Hopefully we will get sorted very soon and in the meantime we will meet at the poet next week and maybe look at ice skating, bowling or something else there after.

Huge hugs

Kev and the guys at spinning@.... ‘s

grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug

EDITED_BY: Dom (1208047279)

Perspective allows us to live in a world of incomprehensible possibility, simply by blinding us to almost all of it… We’re not horses, yet we all wear blinkers...

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
I'd really, really wanted to come to this soon, I'd rather daftly not picked up that it's on Tuesdays though, Tuesday's the only day I was able to book a hall to teach karate in, starting tomorrow frown

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Be seeing you guys on the 30th

Going to an open day at St.Martins, then going to amuse my self in some way for a couple of hours, then take a trip to my very first spitz smile

Looking forward to it.

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
Ooh Aimee congrats on getting an interview:D, make sure you are at your most talkative on the day wink

I assume I'll be there smile

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

TheApprovingNinjaFrom the Ashes of a Ninja Rise THE HIPS OF RAGE
371 posts

Posted:
The ninja also known as the steve will be coming to spitz on the 20th on the way back from his travels hope to see everyone still there on a cold feb smile

Viva UGLY STAFF

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
If any body would like to entertain me from approximatly 5 o'clock tomorrow until spitz please let me know as I have nothing to do.
All the museums shut too early to go visitng frown

hug

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
Woo! I'd come down early and meet you if I wasn't working late. It's proper naff. Won't stop me going tho! biggrin

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

devkevSILVER Member
discoverer of phat and poigling
292 posts

Posted:
Poi and Staff workshops in Spitalfields Market EC1 London :

Just a quick thank you to everyone who supports spitz... you’re great...

And a little nudge to those who have not made it here with us yet... we are here no matter what the weather. There are about 40 people each week this time of year.....(which is amazing and fab). So come and play and chat etc.

1st time is free… and a donation of £3 there after  7 - 10pm then off to the poet pub... workshops every week. If your skint... come anyway and let me know... I would rather you were here playing than at home sulking...

So see you every Tuesday...

Hugs Kev

grouphug weavesmiley juggle welcome peace

its all about the fun fun fun fun and more fun...

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
ubbcrying

I miss you guys

ubbcrying

Just_Another_Clownold hand
965 posts

Posted:
Im going to be coming down tomorrow, weather permitting smile See you all! biggrin

Q:"How many Jugglers Does it take to change a light bulb?"
A:"One, but another 99 others saying,'I could do that if I only practised more'" biggrin biggrin

Gate Keeper to Shocked_Prawn. None may pass.

DennyHere again gone again
157 posts

Posted:
Should be along tonight, work crises permitting. Got a newcomer to introduce to all you lovely people smile

"Talk hard"

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Hiya! I'll be visiting you next week I think... can someone pm me directions given that I'm useless and don't know where I put them last year? Cheeeeeers biggrin

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
PM duly sent! biggrin

Missed yesterday's due to having to work late at the last minute. Grrrrrrr, was looking forward to it too. frown Oh well, roll on next week then! smile ubbrollsmile

My Mind is a Ship
Soul is the Ocean

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Thanks muchly hug

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Will this still be going in June, say the 19th? I'll be back from my travels and just wondering if its worth stopping in London on that date to come to this...

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
It's every week dude! There were 40 people or so the week before new year (when it was bloody freezing), so I reckon it will be rammed in June! biggrin

My Mind is a Ship
Soul is the Ocean

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Sweet...

And Spicy... biggrin

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

FixxGOLD Member
25 posts

Posted:
Yay, I'll actually make it this week! I've been once before, about 6 months ago, oops!

Looking forward to meeting everyone biggrin

"If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space"

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
Did anyone leave a set of juggling clubs at Spitz last night? There was a non-Spitz-owned set left over at the end.

They're in with the rest of the stuff, ready to be picked up whenever. smile

My Mind is a Ship
Soul is the Ocean

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Oooo - were they Radical Fish? Pink, yellow and orange?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
I'm fairly sure they were, yes. smile

My Mind is a Ship
Soul is the Ocean

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
How much of the market is open for spitz at the moment?

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
A section of the old market bit in the corner near the Spitz bar. We've had at least 60 people for the past 6 weeks, with enough space for everyone. smile

My Mind is a Ship
Soul is the Ocean

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
grouphug

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Flump a bumpy lumpy ubbrollsmile

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
i now live in Whitechapel, which is within walking/drunken stumbling distance of spitz.
Yay! Go me!

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

anochecer_jBRONZE Member
1 post

Posted:
Hey, i'm completely new to staff and things and a lot of these posts are from about 2 years ago, are the lessons in spitalfields still on tuesdays at 7?

DennyHere again gone again
157 posts

Posted:
Yep, we're still running (or spinning) smile See you this evening?

"Talk hard"

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
**ANNOUNCEMENT**

100% Unofficially announcement

The Spitz management spoke with Kev last night to say that they had had some complaints that some people were smoking "very strong cigarettes". and that if they get anymore complaints, they will report it to the police, and may review whether to allow the Juggling/spinning workshops to continue in Spitz

Smoking of illegal substances is ... Illegal. Please do not do it at Spitz workshop, least the whole workshop gets banned.

Also in one month Smoking of anything will be banned completely indoors and that includes Spitz market. (It's the law -sorry).

Also- theres a Month in the middle of this summer where we might be limited to only 50 people allowed in Spitz - due to building work. In that case - does anyone have a great idea of a venue we could temporarily relocate to for the summer?
A park perhaps, somewhere nice?

Other than that, Spitz is grand.

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Sambo_Flux

We've had at least 60 people for the past 6 weeks, with enough space for everyone. smile

ubblol

60 London spinners, and about 10 of anywhere else's wink

*very strong cigarettes* : nicely worded.

Spitz is grand? Really? To be honest I was amazed at what a small, peculiar and uncomfortable spot it was, given the otherwise brilliance of the London scene. And it must be bloody freezing in winter!

This sounds like a good time to find a larger, better venue all round: Good luck!

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

solar_bearSILVER Member
journeyman
78 posts

Posted:
Yeh, well... all things must pass. If it turns out a new venue is needed, click here for the UpMyStreet page for hall / room hire in London. Click on the boroughs for venue lists in that area - there are hundreds.

It may stop, but it never ends.

Page: ......