Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Poi and Staff workshops in Spitalfields Market EC1 London

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
SpacemonkEmember
25 posts

Posted:
----------- Spinning@... Update -----------

Dear all

we have moved to a new location.... se here for the new treead

[Old link]

see you at the rag factory..

this is why we have moved...

We had discussions in the pub on Tuesday regarding the use of the market for spinning@spitz and thanks to friends we have a much clearer idea of what’s going on:

Unfortunately we are not allowed back into the market for our workshops. It seems that while we have been out the market for the work, there has been a change of management. The new management appears to want to “increase the value” of the market area (gentrification is the term being used). This has led to many of the existing tenants not being invited to re enter the market, our selves included.

The st’georges residents association would have had no idea we would not be allowed back in, so although annoying its not their fault. We still have contacts in the market and we don’t want to cut out any future possibility of re-entering the market at a later date by kicking up a fuss, especially when there is no chance at all of us using the space in the current climate.

We need to do 2 things… 1. Find a temporary place to play ASAP… (see top) and 2. Find a permanent new home… to help us move forward we need your help. Please think of the people around you, be it your parents, friends, colleagues etc and see if there is anyone who may be able to finds us a new home… put the feelers out there.

If you find somewhere that fits our criteria (see below) then please get a contact name, a number or email and if appropriate, have a brief chat with them as a recommendation or personal contact makes a huge difference. If they are interested, forward their details to me and I will then chase it up.

We require an indoor or covered outdoor area with adequate lighting able to house up to 100 people on a Tuesday evening within 10mins from a tube and centrally located. We also require power to run a portable stereo.

On another note we have decided to have a Xmas party to raise some funds to help us secure a new spinning@..... ‘s venue. The confirmed date is Thursday 20th December in a Brixton from about 7.30 pm to 1 am. More details to follow.

Hopefully we will get sorted very soon and in the meantime we will meet at the poet next week and maybe look at ice skating, bowling or something else there after.

Huge hugs

Kev and the guys at spinning@.... ‘s

grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug

EDITED_BY: Dom (1208047279)

Perspective allows us to live in a world of incomprehensible possibility, simply by blinding us to almost all of it… We’re not horses, yet we all wear blinkers...

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
Nice on Solar bear, it may come to us having to move (only if completely unavoidable though, we get the market for free).

In other news, Spitz has a MySpace page!!, if you're on there sign up! The more channels of communication we have open the better. See everyone on Tuesday then!

weavesmiley biggrin

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
 Written by: newgabe

Spitz is grand? Really? To be honest I was amazed at what a small, peculiar and uncomfortable spot it was, given the otherwise brilliance of the London scene. And it must be bloody freezing in winter!

Utterly correct about it being bloody freezing in winter, but at least it's OUR small, peculiar and uncomfortable spot. I mean come on, it does have character! I'd rather that than some bland sports hall, even if it means getting frostbite. wink

My Mind is a Ship
Soul is the Ocean

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Sambo_Flux

Utterly correct about it being bloody freezing in winter, but at least it's OUR small, peculiar and uncomfortable spot. wink

ubblol Oh that is soooo funny. I ubblove Brits hug

Written by: Sambo_Flux

I'd rather that than some bland sports hall, even if it means getting frostbite. wink

Well, I have every confidence that the collective genius of the London scene (and that's just Kev, let alone the rest of you wink will be able to find something more comforting than a 'bland sports hall' somewhere in the one of most complex and architecturally layered cities on the planet. Or even in London. biggrin

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

DennyHere again gone again
157 posts

Posted:
Spitz also has a facebook group, for those of us who wouldn't be seen dead on MySpack : https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2303326266

As for whether Spitz is a nice venue or not... when I first started going, three years ago, it was absolutely fantastic. Then all the building work started, and we got shunted around increasingly cramped and inconvenient parts of the place.

The area we're in now would be okay if all the scaffolding didn't break up the open spaces so badly - it turns one or two big areas into half a dozen small ones, which really screws up how many people can play there - hoop and staff particularly.

Does anyone know when the work finishes? I'm assuming it has a fair way to go yet.

"Talk hard"

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
the building work has been going on for longer than the workshops existed i think, and i'm not expecting them to finish anytime this decade.
i still really like the spitz space though, and i'd be very sad to leave it.

Written by:

...at least it's OUR small, peculiar and uncomfortable spot.

damn straight biggrin you took the words out of my mouth.

Of course, if someone can find a larger better space, that's still easy for anyone in London to get to, and as cheap to use...

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
Grrr, due to my new job having sucky working hours, it's looking like I can only make it to Spitz once every other week, unless some lovely chap or chapette at my new job wants to switch shifts with me every damn week. I'm working on it as we speak, but still, grrrr. I don't want to miss Spitz, it's the highlight of my week, and I want to continue helping Kev out too. frown

/rant

My Mind is a Ship
Soul is the Ocean

Tristan81newbie
2 posts

Posted:
Hey guys,

Im new to all this, so please be patient with me!!

Iv recently started to learn contact juggling, and im currently in the process of moving down to London in July. So thought it was time to start looking for people with similar interests.

Can you give me any advice on what i would need to do to join you guys on a tuesday? Im a beginner, so i hoping it will be easy just to join in with other new people.

157 posts

Posted:
Spitz is a really friendly and welcoming group of people. Just turn up at 7pm or just after, and find the jugglers/spinners/etc (we're in one corner of the old market). Find anyone who looks like they know what they're doing and tell them that you're new - they'll probably introduce you to a few people, including Kev who currently runs the event.

Basically you just turn up and play with your toys. If you see someone doing something cool, go and say "That was cool! Teach me teach me teach me!!" and they usually will smile There are also some more structured/official teaching groups about halfway through the evening, although there's not always one for contact juggling.

Look forward to meeting you smile

"Talk hard"

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Tristan81

Can you give me any advice on what i would need to do to join you guys on a Tuesday?

1) Buy travelcard
2)Get on correct train to Liverpool Streeeeeeeeeeeeeeet station

Intersperse those two, with walking, and sitting.
Maybe even some whistling if you are feeling particularly adventurous biggrin

Tristan81newbie
2 posts

Posted:
 Written by: UnderControlOrFailure

Written by: Tristan81

Can you give me any advice on what i would need to do to join you guys on a Tuesday?

1) Buy travelcard
2)Get on correct train to Liverpool Streeeeeeeeeeeeeeet station

Intersperse those two, with walking, and sitting.
Maybe even some whistling if you are feeling particularly adventurous biggrin

Thanks for that mate, dont think i would have ever figured that out!! biggrin

OrbitSILVER Member
enthusiast
270 posts

Posted:
Hey! I'm coming to Spitz on July 3rd!

That's right, I'm once again neglecting my patriotic duties and spending 4th of July week in England. For what it's worth, I was patriotic back BEFORE it became the popular thing to do.

On my last couple of visits to London, I didn't get a chance to stop by Spitz (little matter of planning for the wedding, getting married, etc) so this time I'm definitely going to make it. I'm also going to bring some of the cool new toys that my friends Sean and Prisna have been making at Flowtoys - they are amazing spinners and they've designed these wicked new lights for spinning. Their company's called Flowtoys - you figure out the URL.

Anyhow, looking forward to seeing the whole Spitz gang!

Roger/Orbit

157 posts

Posted:
Right, last night's relocation wasn't particularly ideal - there was no room at all for staff spinners, and not much room for poi and hoop either, unless you were one of the first half a dozen people to get there and claim the central corridor bit. Not to mention the near-continuous stream of idiots cutting across the corner of 'our' area - presumably we weren't fully cordoned off?

Personally I'm not coming back until we're back in a vaguely sensible location, and nor are most of the friends I was with last night - so if it could be announced on here when we get the old corner back, that would be helpful.

Complaints aside, there was a particularly nice atmosphere last night - possibly the fact that most of us had no room to spin meant that we spent all night circulating and chatting instead smile Some really nice glowtoys being played with too - were the red poi on the platform the Flowtoys stuff mentioned above?

"Talk hard"

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Mmmmmmmm.. was good to be back at Spitz again, allbeit for one night only.
Was good to see my friends again, and Lazyangel and Durbs (not saying that you arent my friends of course tongue )
Was fantatic to see the Gandinis practising round the corner! eek That was rather lucky!

That space you have been given is indeed utterly rubbish. frown
But I dont see you getting the corner back as it was all full of market stalls. frown

What is the future of Spitz? umm

OrbitSILVER Member
enthusiast
270 posts

Posted:
The space was really limited, but it seemed to me like anyone who wanted to find a space could have done so. It was great to see some of the people I hadn't seen in ages... tho apparently most of them aren't regular attendees anymore. I suppose it's just part of the natural evolution of things -- people move on and have other priorities (that's certainly happened for me).

The red lights were not Flowlights, they were home made, and really, really bright.

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
Yeah, space was an issue. Hopefully it should only be for a few weeks until our regular corner opens up again. It would have been OK if we'd been allowed to move tables around, but security specifically told us not too. frown We did the best we could with cordoning it off too, but we didn't have enough tape to go round everything (crap excuse admittedly), so we did our best to funnel passers-through round the edge.

It shouldn't last too long though, with a bit of luck we'll be back to our usual business in no time. Cheers to everyone who turned up! You guys and gals all rock smile

My Mind is a Ship
Soul is the Ocean

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Aye - space was tight.
On the flip-side, a carp load of old skoolers turned up, all saying "I haven't come down for ages", yet all coming back on the same day biggrin

Oh, and don't forget the no smoking! ubblol
How odd was that...?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
Very odd. At the pub afterwards also, there were more people outside smoking than there were inside drinking. rolleyes

I'm probably not going to be there next week, but I'll leave the setting up in the capable hands of Andy and Neil (the guys who run the stall), and as soon as the space issue is resolved I'll bang it up here so we can get back to our space. smile

My Mind is a Ship
Soul is the Ocean

OrbitSILVER Member
enthusiast
270 posts

Posted:
Wow... imagine my surprise to hear that a company was claiming to be able to demonstrate a perpetual motion machine... at Kinetica in London... waitaminit... that's at sPITZ! That's that weird setup I saw when I was at Spitz!

Guess what... the laws of physics are still holding up as of this writing. The perpetual motion machine isn't spinning. That's right... it's NOT spinning at Spitz.

https://www.astream.com/live/steorn/camera4.html

157 posts

Posted:
It probably can't find enough room wink

"Talk hard"

3,149 posts

Posted:
World's first perpetual motion machine fails to spin at spitz?

Pardon me while i refuel my lollercopter

ubblol ubblol ubblol

For the record i really liked the space on tuesday. Reminded me of old school spitzes when we used to be there. So did the fact there were so many old faces smile And i didn't find it so cramped at all, especially compared with what our space in the freezing corner of icy winds has been like recently. Finding those complaints a bit confusing to be honest. The gandinis found space to juggle sixty billion clubs in there on tuesday, so you must have been able to fit a stick in somewhere...

ANYWAY onto the important stuff.

NEXT WEEK is SPITZ FIFTH BIRTHDAY!

So if you feel like bringing BEER or SNACKS then that would be advisable.

We also desperately DESPERATELY need some GOOD MUSIC, so people bring ya cds pleeeeease.

i ubblove yoo all see yoo on toosday if not soooner xxx

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
WIWT frown

grouphug

3,149 posts

Posted:
jonnycof: IWYWH hug

Yeah SOOOO:

TODAY is SPITZ FIFTH BIRTHDAY!

So if you feel like bringing BEER or SNACKS then that would be advisable.

We also desperately DESPERATELY need some GOOD MUSIC, so people bring ya cds pleeeeease.

hooray and maybe bravo and possibly EVEN huzzah!

solar_bearSILVER Member
journeyman
78 posts

Posted:
Just had an e-mail from Kevin to say that Spitz is CANCELLED tonight eek frown

Not sure why confused shrug

It may stop, but it never ends.

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
URGENT SPITZ UPDATE:

There is NO Spitz today, as the entire area around Spitalfields Market is shut for building works, so we have nowhere to play. It's going to continue to be shut for a 3 month period, while works continue.

This sucks. That's official. frown

Kevin and I will be there tonight to let people know what's happening and redirect folks to the pub, but if anyone reads this, PLEASE tell anyone you know who's coming not to. Or to head to the Poets if they're mad set on turning up anyway.

If anybody knows of an alternative local venue we could use, please get in touch with either me or Kev. I'm on here more often, so PMing me would be a good plan. We'll work on setting something up until the market opens up again, hopefully fairly soon.

Apologies in advance to anyone that shows up, we didn't know about this till the last minute.

Last thing: This is ONLY TEMPORARY. After the works finished, we'll be right back in there and up to our old tricks. In the meantime, please be patient, and with a bit of luck we'll have something up and running in no time.

Thanks to everyone who supports Spitz, you all rock. Watch this space.... smile

My Mind is a Ship
Soul is the Ocean

solar_bearSILVER Member
journeyman
78 posts

Posted:
Phew - thank God for that. Thanks for the update, Sambo smile

Someone has just told me about a Tuesday gathering in Croydon starting around 8.15. I'll post details in a separate thread when I get them, maybe some people will be able to get their fix after all wink

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
Further clarification on the above: Spitz will not be happening AT ALL until the works finish, so no Spitzes at all are happening until further notice. Which will be posted up here as soon as we know when we can come back.

Until then, Kev and myself will try to find an alternate venue, but if anyone's up for some spinning in North London, there are occasional [Old link] that I'd like to turn into a regular thing, and there was also talk between a certain monkey and myself about setting up a regular fire-spinning night. Highgate wood was mentioned, nothing is definite yet though. I have a few mates that spin in Victoria Park in Finchely quite often at weekends too, if anyone is interested in coming down for one of those, PM me and I'll let you know when we're doing another one.

Any other suggestions welcome. Peace.

Sambo

My Mind is a Ship
Soul is the Ocean

157 posts

Posted:
I know quite a few people who'd be up for a weekly meet in Finsbury Park - fire would be a bonus, not sure if it's possible there or not.

Problem with outdoor stuff is the weather, of course - it's not exactly been reliable or pleasant so far this summer.

"Talk hard"

solar_bearSILVER Member
journeyman
78 posts

Posted:
I posted a link to a site with zillions of links to halls for hire a few pages ago.

My missus works up at Cecil Sharp House in Camden. They have a large hall for hire, which also has a garden; although they may be a tad expensive and Tuesdays are already fully booked.

The Palm Tree pub (see here) in Haverfield Road, Mile End is by the canal and has a large grassy area outside. A few people from the climbing centre next door sometimes spin a little fire there. The police showed up once, but went away again after having a word with the landlord and saying little other than, "Very nice, chaps - look after yourselves, won't you".

thesynapseSILVER Member
28 posts

Posted:
PAAAAANNNTTTSSSS!

And I'm leaving in only 4 weeks for Manchester!

Nightmare.

devkevSILVER Member
discoverer of phat and poigling
292 posts

Posted:
NEWS FLASH NEWS FLASH clap

Sptiz will be happening in a new temporary location.

Some lovely people tracked us down at the pub and offered us the use of a hall locally to the market. I have been there and it is a lovely chilled out private club in commercial road called “Alhambi”

The space obviously is not as big as we are used to however there is a decent size hall with very high ceilings and a sound system. There is another room the same size with couches and a pool table. They sell soft drinks and coffee and there is a nice outside smoking chill out area. It is a 2 min walk from aldgate east and about 7 mins from spitilfields.

Because it is a private club, I will require an email address from you to confirm access and to send you directions and details on Monday evening. Please pm me this ASAP only if you have not given this at spitz.

See you then…

Devkev

wink

its all about the fun fun fun fun and more fun...

Page: ...