Page:
WildChildmember
43 posts

Posted:
Like 2 hear what u have 2 say:* DRUGS *- How big/important a role does it play in swinging?

*8*WildChild*8*

gάrbǿ²addict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
Personally I don't need artificial stimulants to help me enjoy doing poi and fire cool.peace outgarbo tongue

be excellent to each other: safe:

diskomember
21 posts

Posted:
Wildchild - have a look at previous chats about acid, booze, e etc.All in all, I love the stuff. I think the consensus was that booze is bad to spin on (u fall over) but mushrooms/acid can be fun if taken responsibly, speed/meth give u lotsa preteratural energy to do mad shit with fire and e just feels ..mmmm...nice what ever u do. Choose your poison and start a-swinging baby! enjoy.------------------*burn-baby-burn-disko-inferno*

*burn-baby-burn-disko-inferno*

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Personally I don't drink or drug at all but I am an adrenaline junkie, and performing tends to give me that high. For me they aren't even a concideration.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Timmymember
45 posts

Posted:
The same as Pele, except that I like to drink alot (and NOT poi at the same time, ouch!)I can fully appriciate the poi on drugs thing as I used to do alot of drugs (Switch off now, I'll try not to do the "Been there, seen that" thing) and remember spending hours sitting in a weird state of hypnosis watching poiers do their thing. But DOING poi is hard enough sometimes, let alone with a head that's on a different planet smile . So, good luck to you chemical poi people, and have fun!Happy (if slightly next-dimensional) Swinging,Tim /|\

Timmymember
45 posts

Posted:
What I meant to say was that drugs (to me) don't play a part in poiing, but they do play a part to some poiers. Hmmmmm..... smileHappy swinging,Tim /|\

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Drugs no doubt help you Poi - help your confidence and your co-ordination. But if you think you need to take drugs to Poi well then you are missing the point. Poi are brilliant without the aid of artifical stimulants.Kat------------------"London is a city coming down from its trip and there's going to be a lot of refugees" - Danny,Withnail & I

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

WildChildmember
43 posts

Posted:
Thanx, guys - the reason I asked is that, for reasons of my own, I don't do da drinking or da drugging thing no more. But I haven't been poiing all that long either (maybe 6 months or so with NOT AT ALL the necessary amount of vital practice - man, the fucked up xcuses 1 can produce when not 100% in touch with 1's abilities!!!- but I'll b good now - the site helps a lot) ANYWAY: So I haven't really had the chance to xperiment with poiing ON STUFF and now I probably never will. Therefore, I ACTUALLY wanted to know whether it is possible to do just as great a job on.....well.....say.. adrenalin, hey Pele?! Makes me feel kinda relieved to hear that it's possible - how many other clean swingers out there?

*8*WildChild*8*

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hello, WildChild. Clean and I'm here to testify. I still get high from spinning. Believe me, I've done my share of altered experiences. I get such presence from spinning fire. No drug experience has been as real to me as playing with fire has. Diana

The Cabirimember
20 posts

Posted:
we have a troupe policy of 'clean and sober' - that doesn't mean some of our fire kids don't do their own things on their own time but rehearsals and performances are 100% clean and sober.mixing alcohol/drugs with fire isn't a smart mix... it's asking for an accident.Charly

Purple Dragonmember
23 posts

Posted:
I agree - your asking for trouble if you mix fire with anything that alters your mind, and you don't need it, spinning fire is so great on it's own why mess with it.

Jessemember
118 posts

Posted:
I too (three? four?) am always clean when I spin. But that's not really saying much as I have never touched drugs. Ever... For that matter, I barely even drink. Mind, this isn't due to any particular straight-laced-ness on my part, but rather some rather severe allergies and an unwillingness to experiment with things that may or may not make me asphixiate. Legal chemicals I'll risk, because I can go to the hospital without raising too many eye-brows, but other things? I shudder at the thought. I can't even drink beer without going into wheezing fits. Consequently I have learned to chase the adrenaline high... There are days when I push myself to beyond my own physical extremes just to see how far I can go. It's different, but one must find ways of entertaining one's self, I suppose...

gάrbǿ²addict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
I just don't really need anything in general to get me high ESPECIALLY when I'm spinning. I just love it so much. Come on someone back me up here or i'll just sound like a total twat.peace outgarbo tongue

be excellent to each other: safe:

Jessemember
118 posts

Posted:
I know exactly what you mean, Garbo. All it takes for me is a good tune and a solid sweat, and I'm in bliss- whether I'm spinning to it, dancing to it, or just drumming along with it on the surface of my desk/thigh/dog.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
And here i thought I was being prudish...Thanks guys!I can't compare the drug/alcohol thing, having never been there but I knowthat the fire still gives me a rush, and people applauding compounds that so that my heart beats out of my chest and I can ride the dizzying high it gives me until the physical exhaustion kicks in, hours later.Really there is nothing like it!!!!!Truly WildChild, it can be done! And the high from it is easy to replicate, and there isn't a tolerance build up! wink That and it doesn't cost nearly as much as drugs or alcohol! grinEither way, influenced or not, it's a persoanl choice that I respect as such, as long as everyone remains safe and having a good time.Spin On!!!!!!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele

WildChildmember
43 posts

Posted:
Thinking about it now I'm actually SO glad I never poied under the influence. Now I will never longingly think about "how great/so much better it was/felt when I was on something".Thus, I never have to STOP poiing under the influence 'cause I NEVER STARTED in the first place.But it's true about the adrenaline taking you on a high. These past holidays I went down to the coast with my family. One afternoon I poied my arse off on the beach and some more and afterwards, until fairly late that eve, I was acting quite.....well....according to my sister it was.....peculiar.I was talking up a storm and saw the funny, no hilarious, side in just about everything.They were convinced I was ON SOMETHING!Well, I had a ball (on my own) but I most definitely wasn't ON ANYTHING.Is it a natural reaction?-the talking, laughing, well ,just being and feeling extremely jovial-thing?

*8*WildChild*8*

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
An interesting topic...my quick(!!) thoughts on this;1) smoking a bit of pot helps me to get into the right headspace to create new moves...as well as appreciate the more philosophical side to twirling.2) LSD helps me to appreciate other swingers moves when I'm watching from afar.3) I dont drink much and my twirling is a bit of a joke if I've had more than 3 pints...All of them make it more difficult for me to carry out new moves. Although, the feeling of swinging fire around in a dark environment while under the influence is something very different, to the feeling I get while sober. (NB - I didnt say better, just different).I like to appreciate the planes of motion while I twirl...not just pull off the most badass moves...My gf I know doesnt like twirling as much while under the influnce, because it makes her lose faith in her abilities...Seeya,[Josh]

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I'm still new to twirling, so take this with a grain of salt. I can imagine twirling with a beer or two in me, but anything more than that, and I know I'd mess up a lot. I used pot a little when I was a teenager, and really can't imagine twirling on it. I'm sure I'd brain myself repeatedly if I did. Ow Ow Ow! It hurts just thinking about it.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Robbiemember
11 posts

Posted:
Allthough my experiances with drugs has been extremelly minimum, I don't need them to boost my poing, the rush grin is allready their

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Yes WildChild, I can say that for me and Prometheus the giddy, laughy reaction is very normal. It's part of what makes us keep going. We call it "the afterglow" and look at it two ways....it keeps us acting young and so then we stay young and it makes the world a much ahppier place for us...cause everything has an upside after twirling a great set. grin------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele

ffirebellGOLD Member
44 posts

Posted:
Great topic for discussion, I've done both high and unhigh swinging, must say I enjoy both but I'm much more coordinated when I'm not stoned. Definitly find that swinging is a powerful buzz on its own! Prefer to do it unstoned now. Yahoo for fire! Fairie firebell

Fairie's wear boots.

Rick aka LokiBRONZE Member
134 posts

Posted:
I've never spun fire on anything but adrenaline either. I plan on never doing it after drinking. Nay to the reduced reaction time and coordintation (ands spelling!) For anyone who's queezy about the idea of swinging on booze, but finds themself doing it anyway, I find it's amazing how easy it is to control a certain behavior if I've made it a personal rule. This may not work for everyone all the time, but it's so easy for me to just flip open the 'ole internal reference manual when I must ask the question, "shall I get snotted, and then spin?" and find "not ever."peace and love, and fire. grin

-Rick aka Loki
oh, man, a signature?... uuh... this is like coming across wet cement... uuh, shoot, I had something clever I was saving... I hope I don't run out of sp

Clairemember
6 posts

Posted:
I don't know if anyone else has tried this, but a really nice feeling is if you spin after a climb. 4 of us took gear out on a climb with us one day (we do climb properly, just incase anyone was thinking this was a little unsafe), just to see what it would be like on a high rock. Fantsatic! i would recomend it to and combined climbers and poiers. though you can get a bit carried away with the "in control of all elements" thing. but if you can, then do. Love & Light tongue

spiffspiffmember
52 posts

Posted:
i dont think any drugs or alcohol are neccesary to have a good time while performing, or put on a good show. Maybe its just me, but having balls of fire spinning around your body creates a natural high by itself.

WildChildmember
43 posts

Posted:
OK then....what about endurance? Surely something like "E" prolongs the ability to just keep going & going & going? Or is it possible to reach that same state of "never-ever-getting-tired-again" by pure adrenalin pumping? I've never done a long enough session to know. ------------------*WC*

*8*WildChild*8*

diskomember
21 posts

Posted:
I feel like a right junkie now, reading this lot! I agree with the fact that u don't need drugs to poi - but it just feels sooo nice when you do every now and then.But I do draw a distinction between performance (no drugs) and personal pleasure poi-ing (whatever turns you on).Obviously I do err on the side of hedonism (as if u hadn't noticed) but with a responsible attitude (if that makes sense?).------------------*burn-baby-burn-disko-inferno*

*burn-baby-burn-disko-inferno*

Fire Angelmember

Posted:
It's great to see so many people out there loving the clean poi-life. I've never poi-ed under the influence 'cos I reckoned I'd probably injury myself, but have always wondered if I was missing out on anything. I used to be a bit of a wildchild or sorts but am really trying to calm down these days. Personally the fire is the rush. Its real, more real than anything you can take. I know I'd love it while fucked, but today the drug of choice is going to be aldrenilin. And as Pele so righty said - you don't build up tolerance to that one!!! In fact its free!!Happy spinning,Fire Angel

Jessemember
118 posts

Posted:
WildChild:The ability to "keep going forever" (or percieved ability) as you described it, is certainly possible. Runners call it "hitting the wall." Once you pass through the "wall," your limbs feel like jell-o, but the burn starts to feel good, and you have such a head rush at the (possibly false) realization that you could go on forever, that you want to test your limits. At least I do. Unfortunately, until you get used to it, it can be difficult to push through the "wall" the first couple of times. (For me it's usually due more to boredom than exaustion any more...) It actually took the realization that stopping meant no dinner tomorrow night, to push me through the first couple times... And now that I know that I am capeable of so much more than I had initially thought, I just keep wanting to see what my limits actually are if I don't impose them through my own self-doubt.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Along Jesse's line of thought...Captain Picard of the Starship Enterprise once said "Things are only impossible until they are not"A damn good anthem not only for pushing your spinning limits but just for life methinks! grin

Pele

WildChildmember
43 posts

Posted:
Yeah, but then Marilyn Manson reckons that *he* doesn't want the *drugs*, it's the *drugs* that want *him*......hey?(heh-heh-heh.....I wanna go home...this office is sooo hot.....I'm tripping on hot air!!!)Anyway, I guess my biggest problem at this stage is nothing else than pure frustration.On the one hand I am way too impatient- I wanna take the poi and be able to *everything* *perfectly* the first time, which is impossible (don't we all know that)- and on the other hand: I don't have a practice partner/matie which just make it so much harder to discipline myself and get swinging on a daily basis.And I'm having BIG trouble with transitions.Another biggie (sorry man-2day I'm just a moaner)is the fact that I cannot do the little bit that I'm capable of at raves or clubs (yet) 'cause ......oh hell... this is getting long and complicated. Let's just say I cannot attend raves/clubs at this stage and I really miss it!!In the end, poiing is basically something I can do alone in my rondawel ('cause outside the dawgie sits on me and my poi to protect me from the "swirley things"-huh, Timmy&Jesse?)and after a while it gets to be bit of a drag.What can I do then to liven it up a little bit, hmmmm?And to PUSH myself through the barrier then?Oh, yeah, no dinner, neh Jesse?OK, then, but what else?

*8*WildChild*8*

Sachamember
15 posts

Posted:
I play clean, and get really nervous watching others playing fire fucked up...I'm not talking about those who have a smoke and are in control, but even if you are a perfessional, sometimes you want to play, but you shouldn't!!I've seen people burn themselves, lose control, let a poi go, and they light them again...I can't watch that stuff, it gives me anxioty, heehee...so I say, if you feel like you want to do it, and you get into a beautiful groove--that is great, whatever opens ya up, but if you drop them, PUT THEM DOWN AND WATCH!!love and light,Sacha

Page: