Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Poi and Staff workshops in Spitalfields Market EC1 London

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
SpacemonkEmember
25 posts

Posted:
----------- Spinning@... Update -----------

Dear all

we have moved to a new location.... se here for the new treead

[Old link]

see you at the rag factory..

this is why we have moved...

We had discussions in the pub on Tuesday regarding the use of the market for spinning@spitz and thanks to friends we have a much clearer idea of what’s going on:

Unfortunately we are not allowed back into the market for our workshops. It seems that while we have been out the market for the work, there has been a change of management. The new management appears to want to “increase the value” of the market area (gentrification is the term being used). This has led to many of the existing tenants not being invited to re enter the market, our selves included.

The st’georges residents association would have had no idea we would not be allowed back in, so although annoying its not their fault. We still have contacts in the market and we don’t want to cut out any future possibility of re-entering the market at a later date by kicking up a fuss, especially when there is no chance at all of us using the space in the current climate.

We need to do 2 things… 1. Find a temporary place to play ASAP… (see top) and 2. Find a permanent new home… to help us move forward we need your help. Please think of the people around you, be it your parents, friends, colleagues etc and see if there is anyone who may be able to finds us a new home… put the feelers out there.

If you find somewhere that fits our criteria (see below) then please get a contact name, a number or email and if appropriate, have a brief chat with them as a recommendation or personal contact makes a huge difference. If they are interested, forward their details to me and I will then chase it up.

We require an indoor or covered outdoor area with adequate lighting able to house up to 100 people on a Tuesday evening within 10mins from a tube and centrally located. We also require power to run a portable stereo.

On another note we have decided to have a Xmas party to raise some funds to help us secure a new spinning@..... ‘s venue. The confirmed date is Thursday 20th December in a Brixton from about 7.30 pm to 1 am. More details to follow.

Hopefully we will get sorted very soon and in the meantime we will meet at the poet next week and maybe look at ice skating, bowling or something else there after.

Huge hugs

Kev and the guys at spinning@.... ‘s

grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug

EDITED_BY: Dom (1208047279)

Perspective allows us to live in a world of incomprehensible possibility, simply by blinding us to almost all of it… We’re not horses, yet we all wear blinkers...

SmallBoy - xCarpal \'Tunnel
2,737 posts

Posted:
Is Ewan back yet?
I may get him a TEFL card from the Koh San Road if not....

Small Lardy Person In Disguise

*robyn*BRONZE Member
111 posts

Posted:
ewan moved to italy. he may be back around may time.

my state of mind creates my world

2,737 posts

Posted:
what the fu**???? - nice of him to tell me......arseholes to babysitting it when I get back, it seems to be doing fine without me - lol xxx

Fu** it I'll set up my own fu**ing fire night

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Now now Cam, be nice, otherwise you'll scare away all the newbies wink

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Ewan moved to italy, why would he do a crazy thing like that, I bet a woman was involved right wink

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Written by: SmallBoy - x

Fu** it I'll set up my own fu**ing fire night

promises, fu**ing promises! ubblol

if you build it, they will come... smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
that sounds like the start of an ad.... biggrin

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
how many ads do you know with f*cking in them? umm

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
Not many, so lets start making some that way....

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
biggrin
I'll bring Bams camera along tonight then.

and a double whammy of presents for Cole.
If he is there.
otherwise... I KEEP!

*runs around wanting to go to bed*

2,737 posts

Posted:
Cole:- we'll build......you fancy running some workshops in our space?.........gutted ewans not there but I don't want to go back to Spitz as a runner/teacher/builder/money taker, I'd rather set up a space of my own....is that fu**ed up....or even too blasphemous for the thread????
(It maybe a saturday workshop, and we'll try and run it as close to Kensal as poss but on a sat afternoon if we get the space and time.....pained that there's a new workshop going on with drew and dreadnought but it'll take prob 3 months to set up)...promised Ewan that's what I was doing before I left so he knows already

Who's running it now with me and Ewan gone????
(Pls tell me it's still you wink - )

i know one ads with fu**ing in him.....but he's too caught up with his girlfriend toi even notice the rest of his firetroupe anymore hehehehehe

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
Isn't Kevin the one running them at the moment?

Matthew B-MLemon-Aware Devilstick-wielding Operative
605 posts

Posted:
Cam: devkev. Cole is never there!

Luv 'n' Lemons
purity :: clarity :: balance

2,737 posts

Posted:
DevKev?
I'm assuimg thats short for DevilStick Kevin?
Is that Kevin Kevin?.....ie the kev that's been going for years and helps whatsherface (Will not mention her name) run poi workshops?

If it is him:-
Does he know he's called DevKev?
It makes him sound like a muppet lol......and his doubles and poi, and juggling, and crazy stuff are all better than his devil stick

If it's not him then can someone explain who it is?

Thanks

Cole has other stuff going on anyway, I was expecting Ewan to not run off and abandon you all for so long, but who can say how love affects life or the mind lol

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Yes, DevKev is Kev. i think the Dev is actually short for "Deviant" ubbangel

Now whats this about a saturday afternoon fire wokshop? Are you even in the country? And other questions? Several of them probably? Who are you anyway?

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

DreadnautGOLD Member
Dready Teddy
53 posts

Posted:
I think devkev is his own invention, being as that's his email and all...

A fire workshop is a good idea if you can find a nice cheap sheltered spot that will allow you to do it. It shouldn't affect Spitz or JJ too much as long as it's in west London, it might even get a few west Londoners up off their sofas...

2,737 posts

Posted:
I think london's probably big enough for a workshop every night of the week, but I'm still debating the "get up off arse" thing, and yes I'm not up for stealing any of your lovely spinny people away from the workshops they're already involved with....we'll be doing advertising for new people and those that want more to do in their pitiful lives - muhahahahahaha

No I'm not in the country, i'm back in about 5 days though

Well in time, for your birthday Monkey - xxx

2,737 posts

Posted:
lol.....just re-read my post above
I didn't mean Kensal the area, I meant the layout, the cool vibe, the outdoor fire space, the cafe and the DJ's.....

Just_Another_Clownold hand
965 posts

Posted:
As i have managed to gain some free time, is Spitz on tomorrow night(14th feb) and if so who would be able to meet me at the station and introduce me to some people. biggrin

JAC x

Q:"How many Jugglers Does it take to change a light bulb?"
A:"One, but another 99 others saying,'I could do that if I only practised more'" biggrin biggrin

Gate Keeper to Shocked_Prawn. None may pass.

mr squirrelmember
37 posts

Posted:
yea man, spitz is on. starts about 7/730. i cant garuntee to be about, but there should be a map a few pages back. maybe catch you htere
peace

did i leave the iron on?

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
I hope to be there tonight....about 7ish I should get to the station, that is if my partner hasn't got something special planned for tonight...(being Valentines ay and all)...

Haven't been in a couple of weeks due to a bad cold but I think I really need to get off my lazy arse!

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Written by: simian

clicky mappy to spitz smile

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

psy-pyronewbie
14 posts

Posted:
ill be here tonight flyering and doin some spinning. hopefully i can learn something new!!!

DreadnautGOLD Member
Dready Teddy
53 posts

Posted:
Written by: SmallBoy - x

I didn't mean Kensal the area, I meant the layout, the cool vibe, the outdoor fire space, the cafe and the DJ's.....

Ooh definitely count me in for DJing. I think it will be hard to organise though. Kensal Rise was pretty much the perfect venue for that sort of thing, but even that only happened because me, Ben and Kristian actually lived there and didn't work during the day, the cafe and soundsystem lived there too, and we didn't pay rent.

ubbidea I'm thinking Area 10 in Peckham is the best substitute venue around at the moment, having a big yard where fire could be spun, and Adam and Martin live just round the corner.... I'd be happy to make first contact if you think that's a plan?

Of course the Synergy Centre does already have a soundsystem and a cafe and cool vibe, but unfortunately not a big enough yard to spin fire in... or at least no more than 2 people at a time. There is the patch of green next door, but I don't think we'd be very popular with the neighbours if we polluted it with parafin and killed off all the grass. rolleyes

P.S. Bah humbug to Valentines day

DreadnautGOLD Member
Dready Teddy
53 posts

Posted:
Written by: psy-pyro

ill be here tonight flyering and doin some spinning. hopefully i can learn something new!!!

I can't be there tonight, could you flyer for Kalahari, Twisted, and the Synergy Project for me? tongue

psy-pyronewbie
14 posts

Posted:
Written by: Dreadnaut

Written by: psy-pyro

I can't be there tonight, could you flyer for Kalahari, Twisted, and the Synergy Project for me? tongue

already flyering for the omni party at synergy center, twisted party at seone and the atlantis party... biggrin

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Written by: Dreadnaut

P.S. Bah humbug to Valentines day

ditto biggrin

rdrnnrBRONZE Member
12 posts

Posted:
hello
gonna visit london 4 first time
and actually i dont have any place to stay
wanna ask if there is some nice person who can help me...

i will arrive at saturday 4.march in da night to lndn.stansted

thanx 4 any help

i hope i will visit u on wednesday to meet some funny jugglers [:

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
Even though I will probably still not have my voice back by tomorrow night (Yippeee cry my housemates!1 hehe) I am dragging my sorry arse down there again at last and am bringing with me a recent arrival to London from Perth.

She arrived here on Thursday morning and has been twirling for about a year....very eager to meet everyone and get some new skills so I hope that everyone will make her feel as welcome as you made me feel.

biggrin

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
i might actually make it down this week... i mean ive only been in london since january without visiting ubbangel

hope to see everyone tomorrow biggrin

back

Page: ......