Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Poi and Staff workshops in Spitalfields Market EC1 London

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
SpacemonkEmember
25 posts

Posted:
----------- Spinning@... Update -----------

Dear all

we have moved to a new location.... se here for the new treead

[Old link]

see you at the rag factory..

this is why we have moved...

We had discussions in the pub on Tuesday regarding the use of the market for spinning@spitz and thanks to friends we have a much clearer idea of what’s going on:

Unfortunately we are not allowed back into the market for our workshops. It seems that while we have been out the market for the work, there has been a change of management. The new management appears to want to “increase the value” of the market area (gentrification is the term being used). This has led to many of the existing tenants not being invited to re enter the market, our selves included.

The st’georges residents association would have had no idea we would not be allowed back in, so although annoying its not their fault. We still have contacts in the market and we don’t want to cut out any future possibility of re-entering the market at a later date by kicking up a fuss, especially when there is no chance at all of us using the space in the current climate.

We need to do 2 things… 1. Find a temporary place to play ASAP… (see top) and 2. Find a permanent new home… to help us move forward we need your help. Please think of the people around you, be it your parents, friends, colleagues etc and see if there is anyone who may be able to finds us a new home… put the feelers out there.

If you find somewhere that fits our criteria (see below) then please get a contact name, a number or email and if appropriate, have a brief chat with them as a recommendation or personal contact makes a huge difference. If they are interested, forward their details to me and I will then chase it up.

We require an indoor or covered outdoor area with adequate lighting able to house up to 100 people on a Tuesday evening within 10mins from a tube and centrally located. We also require power to run a portable stereo.

On another note we have decided to have a Xmas party to raise some funds to help us secure a new spinning@..... ‘s venue. The confirmed date is Thursday 20th December in a Brixton from about 7.30 pm to 1 am. More details to follow.

Hopefully we will get sorted very soon and in the meantime we will meet at the poet next week and maybe look at ice skating, bowling or something else there after.

Huge hugs

Kev and the guys at spinning@.... ‘s

grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug

EDITED_BY: Dom (1208047279)

Perspective allows us to live in a world of incomprehensible possibility, simply by blinding us to almost all of it… We’re not horses, yet we all wear blinkers...

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Spoken to Ewan, sorted smile

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
hello wave

I might come up on tuesday - (9th)
and might need somewhere to sleep ubbangel

see you all soon biggrin

(plus prob Clapham on Sunday - we shall see......) ubbrollsmile

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Can I be the first to offer you sleeping space if you need it?
biggrin

It is always an honour to see the fairy.

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
nope - you have to be the second Jon ........... wink

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
in which case..

I retract my offer until someone else has offered.
Then I will reoffer biggrin

ahhmaymember
42 posts

Posted:
hello all. i went to spitz last tuesday and met an incredible contact juggler of those crystal balls. can you help me contact him?

his name is matt. he has red hair long enough for a ponytail. he also carries a long wooden staff made of a tree branch with a crystal ball at the end.

i will go to spitz again this tuesday to find him, but sooner would be better.

appreciate it.

ahhmaymember
42 posts

Posted:
**if you are trying to figure your way to PLAY FESTIVAL from london**

i know this is a spitz thread, but just in case someone hasn't already told you yet..."come to PLAY!"

https://www.playfestival.co.uk

just wanted to let you know that a few of us just rented a four door wagon that can fit five people with extra space for random bags of tricks.

for four days (august 19-22) we will pay a total of only 84 pounds. this is unlimited mileage with insurance and vat. do the math. it works out to
21 per day. (and if four people are riding the car it works out to be pretty affordable)

if you book now through expedia.co.uk, the rates are still really great with loads of availability.

it's all about the hard cores meeting up to exchange skill once again.

looking forward to meeting you all.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
His name is matt Black.

smile

I dont know how to contact him other than by means of telepathy.
You could try hanging out around covent garden as that is where he still performs I think...

COME TO PLAY!

atmanewbie
8 posts

Posted:
went to spitz last tuesday. i only caught the tail end of it, so i will be back next tuesday. see you there.

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
I'll be coming along tonight...

I'm happy to teach people CJ if they want...

Who else is going?

See you there!

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

KatrinaGOLD Member
enthusiast
352 posts

Posted:
Hi,

I'm going to be in London for a few days at the start of September so I was thinking of coming along on the 6th (rather than spending the evening on my own in my hstel room). I did find the place on the map but I'm not very good with the scale of stuff.

I'm staying in a youth hostel 100m from St Paul's (on carter lane). Is spitafeild market within walking distance or would I need to get the tube/bus?

Oh and if I do come, I'll be the girl looking very lost and slightly intimidated.

One day i'll learn to resist gravity...

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
its within walking distance if you don't mind walking a distance
but i intend to get a bus to liverpool street from there, cos i'm lazy
i'll be at St Paul's about 5-ish, so if you'd like a guide to spitz then pm me smile

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
Is it still in the market or has it moved to 1001 yet?

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

3,149 posts

Posted:
still at spitz, i don't think its gonna move to 1001 at all now shrug

which is a pity, cos the big back room of the 1001 is really nice now.

and spitz is still a big building site. Although there are new rebuilt bits emerging now. And they're rubbish. Shiny concrete and right angles which all smell of corporate non-identity. ick.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
wave

Hello there londony types...

There's a possibility I may be in london next week ( biggrin biggrin biggrin), was just wondering if it's ok for a random irish woman to join in the spitzy fun - or if you'll all be too wrecked after Playing all weekend?!

Well, maybe see you there biggrin

Take care

hug

Getting to the other side smile

3,149 posts

Posted:
hello. i have written a monkey play involving two monkeys. it goes thusly:

enter two monkeys

1st monkey:

Isn't spittalfields poi workshop quite marvellous, being every tuesday from seven until ten in spittalfields market near Liverpool St Station in London, UK?

2nd monkey:

My good sir, I believe you are quite correct.

1st monkey (with feeling):

Why yes. Yes i am.

exit both monkeys

fireworks, dancing girls, a killer whale leaps from the pool and bites the head off an effigy of the kaiser, curtain.

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
I love it ubblol

but wait there's no copy write: idea:

mohaha say good bye to your fame and fortune this play is mine

Maybe I should change this too something abit nicer, humm no I still think your all Ccensoredt

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
(please ignore the last post)

I've just written this grate play

but what is it I see one post up (remember we're ignoring the last post)
Simian you [censored] how could you steal my play I've worked so hard on, I'll see you pay for is spank

Maybe I should change this too something abit nicer, humm no I still think your all Ccensoredt

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
when is the 1st meet in oct?
i will be there for it, if any one would be kind enough to give me directions???

Drawings by chalk minds, strech between the stars

Kyle Mclean-
Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

3,149 posts

Posted:
every tuesday sooo...

the 4th, 11th, 18th & 25th of October

goto https://www.streetmap.co.uk

find "brushfield street E1"

directions ahoy!

Tim: Hey! plaigerism isn't cool! mad

Hmm, although it does include the syllables "Play" and "ism", which are two of my favourite syllables...

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
well i wrote a play involving two bannanas.... smile

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
can i have a copy please?
smile

garthySILVER Member
old hand
717 posts

Posted:
OHHH!!! Wil. be here on Tuesday! biggrin

"**grumble*spuriouswindmills*grumble**" - Coleman
"if poi was only for girls there wouldnt be many good poi spinners...." - Nx

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
whoohoo bounce see you then garthy, its my last spitz for a while cos im going up to uni the next day!

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
sorry jon but they got a bit mushy when i put the through the photocopier...

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

3,149 posts

Posted:
i have now written a song, to celebrate the fact that there are lots of lovely people all coming to spitz today. It goes thus:

lots of lovely people coming to spitz
la la la la la laa laaaaaaah
Garthy is coming he is lovely
la la la la la laaa laaaaaaaah
and Katrina too (she is also lovely)
la la laaa la laaaa laaaa laaaaaaah
time for the drum solo!
[12 minute drum solo]
lots of lovely people coming to spitz
la la la la la laa laaaaaaah

oi Dub, you coming too? It's not too late to add an extra verse, y'know.

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
can i have a verse? its my last one ubbangel

3,149 posts

Posted:
Yes. It goes thus:

Pyrowill Pyrowill Pyrowill Pyrowill,
Pyrowill Pyrowill Pyrowill Pyrowill,
He occasionally displays skill,
and his name is William

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
wow i love it, do u write yourn own material? what inspires you?

3,149 posts

Posted:
i am inspired by nothing but my own genius

Page: ......