Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Poi and Staff workshops in Spitalfields Market EC1 London

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
SpacemonkEmember
25 posts

Posted:
----------- Spinning@... Update -----------

Dear all

we have moved to a new location.... se here for the new treead

[Old link]

see you at the rag factory..

this is why we have moved...

We had discussions in the pub on Tuesday regarding the use of the market for spinning@spitz and thanks to friends we have a much clearer idea of what’s going on:

Unfortunately we are not allowed back into the market for our workshops. It seems that while we have been out the market for the work, there has been a change of management. The new management appears to want to “increase the value” of the market area (gentrification is the term being used). This has led to many of the existing tenants not being invited to re enter the market, our selves included.

The st’georges residents association would have had no idea we would not be allowed back in, so although annoying its not their fault. We still have contacts in the market and we don’t want to cut out any future possibility of re-entering the market at a later date by kicking up a fuss, especially when there is no chance at all of us using the space in the current climate.

We need to do 2 things… 1. Find a temporary place to play ASAP… (see top) and 2. Find a permanent new home… to help us move forward we need your help. Please think of the people around you, be it your parents, friends, colleagues etc and see if there is anyone who may be able to finds us a new home… put the feelers out there.

If you find somewhere that fits our criteria (see below) then please get a contact name, a number or email and if appropriate, have a brief chat with them as a recommendation or personal contact makes a huge difference. If they are interested, forward their details to me and I will then chase it up.

We require an indoor or covered outdoor area with adequate lighting able to house up to 100 people on a Tuesday evening within 10mins from a tube and centrally located. We also require power to run a portable stereo.

On another note we have decided to have a Xmas party to raise some funds to help us secure a new spinning@..... ‘s venue. The confirmed date is Thursday 20th December in a Brixton from about 7.30 pm to 1 am. More details to follow.

Hopefully we will get sorted very soon and in the meantime we will meet at the poet next week and maybe look at ice skating, bowling or something else there after.

Huge hugs

Kev and the guys at spinning@.... ‘s

grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug

EDITED_BY: Dom (1208047279)

Perspective allows us to live in a world of incomprehensible possibility, simply by blinding us to almost all of it… We’re not horses, yet we all wear blinkers...

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
oh my gaaaawwwwddddd. What's goin on? Workshop last night was ok, altho i didn't do that much, but in future if anyone wants any (juggling) help i'm here.

Good luck with 9151 Cole, it's a bit of a hard one to crack. I started working on a 77731 siteswap last night (maybe 777319333177731) or something like that. Hey, try 8x 4, my new multiplex siteswap, it's a variation on the normal gatto multiplex. The 6x becomes an 8x and two 4's follow. hug

Take care beautiful people of spitz, see you all in two weeks.

Hex

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
feline seeks assistance:

in the NIPP there is the following: 1x bluefelinetent, 1x bluefelinesleepingbag, 1x bluefelinesleepingmat

if anybody is heading to the BJC by car could they pleeeeeeeeeeeeease help me lots and lots by bringing them? even if arriving late.... cause i cant get to london before the bjc as previously planned.

thanks
Rob

ps 7151ilikeverymuch. think i will sort out my 5 ball shower(18catches...)before working on 9171.

incidentally try holdin 534 with all reverse throws and tell me if i am being unreasonable when i say it is one of the hardest 4ball tricks i know.......?

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
Rob I have a tent that i won't be using (luxurious caravan complete with Sauna and topless waitresses for me!!) but it's a little big and cumbersome, so if anyone else has a better one feel free. It won't fit in a bag either.

Quote:

ps 7151ilikeverymuch. think i will sort out my 5 ball shower(18catches...)before working on 9171.

incidentally try holdin 534 with all reverse throws and tell me if i am being unreasonable when i say it is one of the hardest 4ball tricks i know.......?

never heard of any of those siteswaps, 9151 is four ball hi-lo, 11,1,7,1, is 5 ball hi-lo shower. and yes 534 with reverse cascade throws is very difficult. Try (6x 4) 46x) with reverse cascade throws!! ubblol

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Wishes JUST one person would put up a thread explaining juggling notation. I have tried to have it explained but i was spongled at the time.

*wanders off mumbling about the madness of it all*

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
*stamps foot*

i want my tent!!!

and yes i did mean 9151 and eleven171....

i need my tent for the rest of the year anyway, espescially if this year is like the last one, when i spent 53 days out of 62 under neocanvas....

sorry ucof.

i'll sort y'out with poi notation soon to mess wit'ya head......

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
Hope you all have fun tonight at Spitz. I'm having loads of fun here in France, I've been diagnosed with Gastro(fill in the blanks)itis...or something. Also just picked up a stye and am now trying to find somewhere in this tiny town to practice. Not having much luck yet. Apart from that am still alive, just...

Adam, Mr. Muhhuhaahhaahhaa yes i will be down next week and should be ready to teach you all i know on passing, not that you've ever seen me do it! Have fun tonight and have a time in 1001, gee i miss that place beerchug

Hex

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
I'll have one for you at 1001 Hex wink

Rahh it's Tuesday already biggrin weavesmiley weavesmiley

Mr Cat how would you like me to get your tent to you?? ohh and sleeping bag, flask of tea, a yummy hobnob and hugs??

Lisa
XX

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
yook off: siteswap is already explained far better than any of us can do it here.

i read allen knutson's article which told me everything i needed to know, and more smile

hex - if you are teaching club passing to two people, surely you'll want a 4th person to throw clubs at you and catch yours while you demonstrate...? ubbangel

so if you 'need' me, i'll be standing nearby with spare clubs and making a poor attmpt at puppy dog eyes wink

now stop being all ill and enjoy the rest of your holiday dude.

oh and by the way, i am nowhere near 9151 ubblol

Non-Https Image Link
ifeellikespitzintonightspitzintonightifeellikespitzintonightspitzintonightifeellikespitzintonightspitzintonight
Non-Https Image Link

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
cole, i have room for you in my car, room for you in my tent, room for you in my gear bag, room for ur hat collection, what time would you like to be kidnapped?

biggrin

Step (el-nombrie)

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
to be honest mech, right now would be perfect...

mad hardwork&nosleepmakecoleagrumpyboy mad

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:

sorry cole i would love to come get you, and take you for a spin. but im stuck in work with no way to get out, as we are expectin 25 new comps (comming in 7 boxes, go figure!)

so have these instead, and yes they are redemable against the ones ill have at teh new spitz!

Non-Https Image Link

Step (el-nombrie)

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
lovely ubbrollsmile

*bites both ends off of a few fingers and runs to the fridge to get a big mug of milk to drink through them*

**YAWN**
***slurp***

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
That man knows how to eat a biscuit.

I'll give him that....

*hats off*

*slight pause*

*hats on*

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
see i do that with tea,

try doing it with a cup of tea and a vicount, a lil messy, but OMG what a mice taste,

bite off to lil gaps in eth choco on opposite sides, and suck the teac up through teh vicount and when it hits ur lips slam the whole biccie in ur mouth, and it will mekt from within in ur mouth making it taste SOOOOO nice! biggrin

Step (el-nombrie)

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Mice taste? Eeeeeurgh wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i tend to use tea for penguins - bite opposite corners off and follow the viscount method.

but don't tell dom i'm mean to penguins...

and not that i eat nestle nowdays but if i did and i ate a kit-kat in a similar fashion, i would prefer to do it with milk.

and please, don't tell dom that i drink milk either...

disclaimer: this technique is not recommended for use with milky ways or any other non biscuit/wafer-based chocolate covered snack.

trust me - you don't wanna find this out the hard way...

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
Ahh Tim Tam tastic ubbloco

tongue

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
hey guys.. wave

i'm plannin on turning up this tues seeing as i'm gonna be in the area. haven't been before so just checkin that it's from 7-10? and £3?

can't wait cos it's been a while since i've spun with poiple outside of notts! biggrin

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
yepandyep biggrin

come say hello dude.

i'll be tall and juggling clubs
Non-Https Image Link

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
will do man... i'll be tall and looking bemused i expect! tongue

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

Ali-birdmember
102 posts

Posted:
Wow, it's been weeks since I've made it to the Spitz! Hopefully I'll get there this week beerchug weavesmiley biggrin

Why is it that everthing which is fun is illegal, immoral, or fattening?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
me too!

but not this week...

im urrently in Edinburgh..

SO...

it will have to be next week ...

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
Cole - rest of holiday was good thanx, the gastroentitisis cleared up in the end, but it was a real pain in the arse (sorry bout the pun). Not sure if i will need a 4th person, altho i may need a "club boy", so if u want to pick up the dropped clubs you can do that.

No seriously i will probably be needing someone to pass with, so bring your clubs along, i will do the same (bet you didn't know i even owned any did you?! ubbrollsmile), and we can all learn together. Hopefully will see you in 1001.

Third post in as many hours after a week off work, I'm so naughty. beerchug
Hex

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
wow.. that was so much fun! left last night with my head swimming with spinning ideas... ubbrollsmile

thanx to everyone that showed me stuff, was good to meet y'all! wave i'm now in officially in love with contact staff ubblove so hopefully i'll make it down next week as well to learn some more... biggrin

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
cool to meet you dude biggrin

spitz is fun smile

i really should go more often, but it's only on once a week. umm

ubbidea

aha! if i leave halfway through then return shortly afterwards, then i'll be going to spitz twice as often.

wicked... weavesmileybeerchugweavesmiley

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Not sure if i will need a 4th person, altho i may need a "club boy", so if u want to pick up the dropped clubs you can do that.

eek will yoo cheeky munkee

although i am getting *really* good at picking up clubs.

i've had lots of practice.

i could probably do it for the gandini's.

if they ever dropped.

wink

sorry i didn't make it down yesterday - would really have loved to have seen your club stuff but i'm sure there will be other opportunities smile

went out at lunch today and was playing with 3 clubs mills again.

i don't know if its just me but mills patterns with clubs feel *huge*, especially when you start sticking shower throws in.

i was quite gutted that i didn't make last night it but was feeling lame after a heavy weekend frown

and i had housework to do.

hold on, they're both rubbish excuses!

what is happening to me?!

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
You're getting old Cole...

wink

elastaaddict
645 posts

Posted:
I had a great time last night, I don't often get a chance to meet up with so many poi/staff/jugglers/devil stickers...etc at one time! I'm very tempted to stay around for next weeks meet up biggrin... though I should probably get back to Bristol and do some work... umm

It was great to put some names to faces on Hop too! Yeah I think I'll stick around for a bit, stuff working! See y'all next week! wave beerchug

there's nothing quite as fulfilling as a tasty airwrap

if you're full of sh!t, at least you're fertile

"we are all flowers growing in God's garden... and that is why he spreads the sh!t around" - David Byrne

brodiemanold hand
1,024 posts

Posted:
hello peeps,
gonna try and get down to spitz damm 13 hour shifts but have tuesday off me thinks im gonna have to pop down smile smile smile

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Yup, was nice to meet you and dub smile Had a great time spinning, picked up a couple of new bits as well, 'twas all good biggrin

"Moo," said the happy cow.

Page: ......