Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Poi and Staff workshops in Spitalfields Market EC1 London

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
SpacemonkEmember
25 posts

Posted:
----------- Spinning@... Update -----------

Dear all

we have moved to a new location.... se here for the new treead

[Old link]

see you at the rag factory..

this is why we have moved...

We had discussions in the pub on Tuesday regarding the use of the market for spinning@spitz and thanks to friends we have a much clearer idea of what’s going on:

Unfortunately we are not allowed back into the market for our workshops. It seems that while we have been out the market for the work, there has been a change of management. The new management appears to want to “increase the value” of the market area (gentrification is the term being used). This has led to many of the existing tenants not being invited to re enter the market, our selves included.

The st’georges residents association would have had no idea we would not be allowed back in, so although annoying its not their fault. We still have contacts in the market and we don’t want to cut out any future possibility of re-entering the market at a later date by kicking up a fuss, especially when there is no chance at all of us using the space in the current climate.

We need to do 2 things… 1. Find a temporary place to play ASAP… (see top) and 2. Find a permanent new home… to help us move forward we need your help. Please think of the people around you, be it your parents, friends, colleagues etc and see if there is anyone who may be able to finds us a new home… put the feelers out there.

If you find somewhere that fits our criteria (see below) then please get a contact name, a number or email and if appropriate, have a brief chat with them as a recommendation or personal contact makes a huge difference. If they are interested, forward their details to me and I will then chase it up.

We require an indoor or covered outdoor area with adequate lighting able to house up to 100 people on a Tuesday evening within 10mins from a tube and centrally located. We also require power to run a portable stereo.

On another note we have decided to have a Xmas party to raise some funds to help us secure a new spinning@..... ‘s venue. The confirmed date is Thursday 20th December in a Brixton from about 7.30 pm to 1 am. More details to follow.

Hopefully we will get sorted very soon and in the meantime we will meet at the poet next week and maybe look at ice skating, bowling or something else there after.

Huge hugs

Kev and the guys at spinning@.... ‘s

grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug

EDITED_BY: Dom (1208047279)

Perspective allows us to live in a world of incomprehensible possibility, simply by blinding us to almost all of it… We’re not horses, yet we all wear blinkers...

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Yup tis on tonight as far as i've been told

and im afraid to tell you....no fire allowed...

but people bring their flashey equipment and light up the buiding in loads of cool colours!

Hope to see you tonight

Love
Alice

Think Pink

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

HavocHavoc
168 posts

Posted:
well i'll be there, so i sincerely hope its on... otherwise we'll be drinking the night away instead... which actually aints such a bad idea... hmmmmm!

Havoc

you have to let it all go... Fear, doubt and disbelief... Free your mind!

Times like these people wanna get High...
Real High and Real Fast...
This is gonna do it!!

Ali-birdmember
102 posts

Posted:
I will be there tonight, as will some of my Planet Angel buddies yay for being back on a Tuesday and not having any tube strikes!

See you there - and Pink Poi - I'm sorry, I deleted your (and a couple of others actually) private message without reading them - I will look out for you tonight - I'm easy to spot - big blue cord troosers, big brown curly hair, a big grin and pink and yellow sonic star poi or a short fire staff! (non lit of course)

Why is it that everthing which is fun is illegal, immoral, or fattening?

SpacemonkEmember
25 posts

Posted:
Sorry, got to be quick, work... Na, my "past-life's-punishment" is quite hectic at the mo (ahahahand I was a very naughty boy it seems.)

Ooohohhoho-yesss we're on (I'm very happy to say.) STSP: 7-10 hopefully down by the Spits Bar end (unless the book fair's on in which case up at the other end but nay matter, it's not as though people won't be able to find us

Coleman, good for you and respect. I've been thinking of taking a job closer to Spits so that it's easier to get to Poi, but I haven't quite made it happen, so... well done sir, true commitment

Sorry Pink Poi, roof's made of wood , but yeah, lights and flashy things are great and most welcome. (As are all colours of skin, Poi, clothing, make up, hair, and of course, humour.)

Havoc - 'a drinking night away instead?' Nooo, 'a drinking night away, as well '

Ali Ali Ali, hmm... see colour bit above,... And then colour me happy when I see you

Chains!!! You gonna be there? How far are you away anyway? Can we bring Spits to you I'm thinking? Perhaps not, but where there's a will, there's usually a teacher trying to break it... Reminds me of a quote (or is it a misquote...) "God! Save me from your sheep!!" People often try to do the right thing, but if it's cutting into your spinning time, then it's juuuust possible that they are evil; and were sent to this world to destroy happiness, light and all things whole and round (and thus spinning.) Dunno, shooting in the dark here, but I'll keep an eye out for a sheepskin to replace your carpet jacket (so that you can move more freely among/ away from the flock )

See you in a bit, ahhhhhhhhh nooooooo, that was supposed to be quick, I got carried away,

byE.

[ 09 October 2002, 21:42: Message edited by: SpacemonkE ]

Perspective allows us to live in a world of incomprehensible possibility, simply by blinding us to almost all of it… We’re not horses, yet we all wear blinkers...

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
was it just me or did last night go on for ages? it seemed to last forever.....no thaat im complaining or anything....lol

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
it was only my first time *blush* so it seemed to rush by.

hmm, setting myself up for an out of context quote there...

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

SmallBoy - xCarpal \'Tunnel
2,737 posts

Posted:
Coleman:- Rahhhhhh - didn't see you (well actually I probably did but I didn't talk to you, or maybe I did that as well but......oh fuck it)

Yay good night last night, although as Jonathon points out it did go on for about 8 hours in the 3 we were down there (not a bad thing me thinks)

Big Hugz to all involved and bigger Hugz to Ewan & Carrey

Oh cheers to Simian - hehehehe

Got some mad 2 person staff contact down with Jez and 2 people actually asked me how to do stuff (how cool? - )

Errrrmmmmm.......and REALLY sorry for the previous Thursday when I turned up far too hammered to actually do any poi......(Thinking I still managed to remember to pay for the night though, but if 'tis not the case please collar me)

Hehehehehehehehe (Random gigglage)

Kewl seizure down dare nexttime
SmallBoy -

Small Lardy Person In Disguise

diana_dup1member
2 posts

Posted:
yay, looks like i can maybe get to spitalfields this tuesday! so very very excited. was at clapham common earlier (the carrot cake girl ), so hopefully i will recognize some of you, or you'll recognize me, or (even better) we'll recognize each other! later gators, and of course happy spinning,
diana

Davethehat2002member
10 posts

Posted:
Hi All !! Some friends of ours came up to Spitals Tues eve & told us about it.

After not being able to get to Clapham this summer it would be good to get to Spitals this Tues (tomorrow !!)
What time does it all kick off ?

Be good to meet you all !!!

Happy Spinning

Dave the Hat & the Southend Poi Club (unofficial collective type thang!!)

2,737 posts

Posted:
7-10 mate.

any probs finding it or anything give us a shout 07984 288063

SmallBoy

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Greetings monsieur davethehat....how nice to see you here...how are you?

YIPEE! its tuesday! weeeeeeeeeeee! tuesday, tuesday, tuesday!

I shall be down tonight with my collection of fantastical tunes (5 cds worth in fact)

SpacemonkEmember
25 posts

Posted:
Hellooo all,

It's Tuuuesday it's Tuuuesday, (we're gonna dance all day, dance all day, dance all day to this DJ.)

Hmm, almost didn't mind getting out of bed this morning... Almost

Diana, yay new person!! Or are you new? I wasn't down at the last Clapham Common but I have met a couple of Diana's. Hmm, guess we'll find out tonight (Quite tall, browney-blond hair, slim... err, two ears and a nose? SmallBoy - be calm.)

Davethehat2002! A big smiley welcome to you too. Tell me though, as a hat, a)how have you come to spin (I would have thought contact would be easier?), and b) how do you get from a to b without people trying to put you in a circus or film, or on their head for that matter? We don't have many sentient objects spinning with us on Tuesdays, just the Poi and toys that we play with I suppose (mine have a sick sense of toilet humour that generally gets a laugh when they end up between my legs at the end/ beginning of a moment of distraction.) Do you have a human handler to make life easier? We could potentially find you one if not.

SmallBoy - another act of niceness . You do realise that things are going to be a lot warmer for you in hell because of these moments of weekness I've been noticing? Number one dude, take care of hims'all I'm saying, the rest will come to you when you're a millionaire and can afford to buy it. Until then, head down and stop making the nice people comfortable. Sh!t anybody would think spinning was a 'sharing' thing. Yuck.

Erm, part from that, hope everyone's well and happy. Oo, and it was me Birthday yesterday . One more step toward the light (starting to get a tan now,) tripping over old white beard, farting continuously, dribbling unexcuseably, and my mind!! Where's it all gone? Can't remember how to fly, play the piano, predict the future, travel faster than light, jump tall buildings, or remember which pocket I put my keys in, all the little things really Still, I can still remember where Spitalfields is, and with enough head injuries over the next few weeks I think I'll probably be able to jog some of it back into memory .

Chains - you the man, looking forward to more of your tunes (you Skat-man-word-remembering-funky-moving-fiend-in-a blue-dragon-shirt-person you.)

So!!! Yay, nice one all round, and I'm older but still none the wiser (and that'd be 27 years none-the-wiser don't ye know (old for a mushroom but young for a tree ...and somewhere inbetween I should just about be.))

See you all later,

SmilE

Ali-birdmember
102 posts

Posted:
Sorry I didn't make the birthday drinks yesterday mate, I was working late (grr) but I will be at Spitalfields tonight and if you're very good I might even buy you a pint

Ali xx

Davethehat2002member
10 posts

Posted:
Haaaaa haaaa haaaa di blo**di Ha !!

The names Dave and I used to wear a hat, hence the nickname... Comprende?
Anyhow, cool to hear when it all starts and I shall endeavour to get there with some of the Southend (unofficial) Poi club/Collective..... we shall see.
Have to contact people when I get out of work...
Take Care all and happy spinning.....

Dave the Hat

diana_dup1member
2 posts

Posted:
sorry, i lied about making it to spitals. i'd been up all night going into tuesday, and decided to go home and get some sleep instead of playing. isn't it sad when one's priorities get so mixed up?

i WILL be there for the last tuesday of the month though!!

SpacemonkE, let's see...yes I've got 2 ears, a nose, kinda skinny, and I'm 5'10" (or is it metric over here??)...but my hair is short and very dark. oh well, 4 out of 5 isn't bad.

2,737 posts

Posted:
Ewan - I'm scared man, I can never quite work out what you're saying & at the moment I'm far 2 wrecked......oh well.

Smiles & Hugz & Stuff

Annie Cmember
40 posts

Posted:
Well Howdy peeps

I have not been in the chat room for nearly a year, cool to hear about Spital's will probably be down in the next couple of weeks.....looking forward to learning some new moves it's been a while (poi) and I really would like to learn some staff stuff too.....yippeeee

See you crazeee kids soon....

Annie

2,737 posts

Posted:
Page 2????
(*Walks off tutting to himself about lack of house keeping for thread.*)

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
hum...might not be able to go tonight due to the stupidness of me forgetting what i do on a tuesday night and planning a maths lesson every tuesday night from now until january..bollocks...im going to ring my maths tutor and ask if i can rearrange every maths lesson form now on to another night...ie wednesdays....cos on pmondays and thursdays i now work!....at woollies..

but i will be there on saturday tho...is cass going?

2,737 posts

Posted:
Reaches into pocket,pulls out a large haddock and SLAPS UCOF round head to remind him that Tuesdayz are sacred and he's disrepecting the god of Spitz in failing to worship him properly.

Ali-birdmember
102 posts

Posted:
Cool! I don't think the crappy weather is anywhere near close to killing us off yet - many a poi and staff spinner last night at Spitalfields!

Long may we continue! Certainly til it starts getting f-f-f-freezing anyway Nice one Ewan and Carrey, hope you're feeling better today, all a bit knackered and spaced last night!

[ 07 November 2002, 02:54: Message edited by: Ali-bird ]

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I reckon that even if it's freezing, we'll just have to spin harder to keep warm
I'll be happy turning up pretty much whatever the weather as long as I'm not the only one there.
I think the only exception to that is when it's bad enough to cancel the trains into London.

Having said that and tempted fate, I'm obviously going to get a really nasty cold next week and decide it's far too cold to leave my bed

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Ali-birdmember
102 posts

Posted:
Yay, Poi tonight, hope the bloody rain stops or I'll be all damp by the time I get there

Got some new sock poi to try out! My sonic star tails were looking a bit sad, about time I upgraded! See you there peeps

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
oh go on then...i shall come too...otherwise people will start calling me "jonathan the non attending green elephant" and i dont really want that to happen. lol. see you later everyone. bye...,my schools ITY room has jusyt been unvaded by some seriously smelly year 8s....bleugh

see you later cass....and everyone else then....

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Right - Cass, finally we get to meet! Will see you guys at Spitafields at 7

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

HavocHavoc
168 posts

Posted:
since u turned up jon, can we call u the attending green elephant instead???

Havoc

you have to let it all go... Fear, doubt and disbelief... Free your mind!

Times like these people wanna get High...
Real High and Real Fast...
This is gonna do it!!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
ho hum...if you so wish

Ali-birdmember
102 posts

Posted:
Wow - lovely to meet Cassandra and some other HOP-ers last week!

Carrey/Euan - I won't be about this week But it's just having something else to do, I still wanna come next week! It's not me being put off by the weather

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
twas brillig.....yipee! its a tuefday! its tuefday! erm...i mean tuesday...sorry...too many orange ogres around for me to concentrate properly.

Sacha.SILVER Member
31 posts

Posted:
hello everyone

are there any poi workshops anywhere in london in the near future? - i'm from north west london but don't mind travelling anywhere...

Page: ...