Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Poi and Staff workshops in Spitalfields Market EC1 London

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
SpacemonkEmember
25 posts

Posted:
----------- Spinning@... Update -----------

Dear all

we have moved to a new location.... se here for the new treead

[Old link]

see you at the rag factory..

this is why we have moved...

We had discussions in the pub on Tuesday regarding the use of the market for spinning@spitz and thanks to friends we have a much clearer idea of what’s going on:

Unfortunately we are not allowed back into the market for our workshops. It seems that while we have been out the market for the work, there has been a change of management. The new management appears to want to “increase the value” of the market area (gentrification is the term being used). This has led to many of the existing tenants not being invited to re enter the market, our selves included.

The st’georges residents association would have had no idea we would not be allowed back in, so although annoying its not their fault. We still have contacts in the market and we don’t want to cut out any future possibility of re-entering the market at a later date by kicking up a fuss, especially when there is no chance at all of us using the space in the current climate.

We need to do 2 things… 1. Find a temporary place to play ASAP… (see top) and 2. Find a permanent new home… to help us move forward we need your help. Please think of the people around you, be it your parents, friends, colleagues etc and see if there is anyone who may be able to finds us a new home… put the feelers out there.

If you find somewhere that fits our criteria (see below) then please get a contact name, a number or email and if appropriate, have a brief chat with them as a recommendation or personal contact makes a huge difference. If they are interested, forward their details to me and I will then chase it up.

We require an indoor or covered outdoor area with adequate lighting able to house up to 100 people on a Tuesday evening within 10mins from a tube and centrally located. We also require power to run a portable stereo.

On another note we have decided to have a Xmas party to raise some funds to help us secure a new spinning@..... ‘s venue. The confirmed date is Thursday 20th December in a Brixton from about 7.30 pm to 1 am. More details to follow.

Hopefully we will get sorted very soon and in the meantime we will meet at the poet next week and maybe look at ice skating, bowling or something else there after.

Huge hugs

Kev and the guys at spinning@.... ‘s

grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug

EDITED_BY: Dom (1208047279)

Perspective allows us to live in a world of incomprehensible possibility, simply by blinding us to almost all of it… We’re not horses, yet we all wear blinkers...

SmallBoy - xCarpal \'Tunnel
2,737 posts

Posted:
We know you're sad....but that's another story - lol

WICKED NIGHT GUYZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Nice to meet Mr BovrilMonkey, and to see all ofzya again.

Sorry we missed UCOF, BAMZ, and DFQ who were busy, but good night had by all...(despite my sulking fit - but hey I'm a Small Boy so I'm allowed - lol )

OK thanks again to Ewan & Carrey.....much luv & hugz, and hope to see most of you on Friday.

SmallBoy - x

Small Lardy Person In Disguise

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
bugger off and let me enjoy my collection of dust on my own...

2,737 posts

Posted:
Collections of powder are normally fun, but why on your own? - lol

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
Dont forget to go to The Ten Bells afterwards for a drink!

Raphael

THE UNITED CHAINS OF FIREmember
192 posts

Posted:
Dont we all usually goto the toilet?

I don't dance. I move to music - Some dumb schmuck, Blue Peter 16/9/02-------------------This morning, I sat on the TV and I watched the Sofa

2,737 posts

Posted:
Yep, all running off to the toilet together is the highlight of the night.......

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I thought seeing carrie, dfq and bam...oh..and you of course smallboy, was the highlight of the evening....

I should be attending tomorrow night...anything planned for this wednesday/thursday..if anyone is up for something...you know where the free house will be! yipee!...lots of nutella, jam and cheese for everyone!

CarreySILVER Member
180 posts

Posted:
Hey!

Last night was really good, with loads of people - what's the vote on the new location? Bigger and better part of the market? Or, are we too far away from the source of beer?

Hope you're all having a good one!
C
X

Ali-birdmember
102 posts

Posted:
I had a top night last night!

Carrey - I think it's great having more space (and so many people!!) last night, but it is a teeny bit far away from the pub. But if that's the sacrifice to get more space then fine! As long as people take back empty plates and glasses to the Spitz afterwards or we could get in trouble

Can anyone tell me if this will still be on next week or will the bloody stupid Tube Strike dampen people's resolve to come and spin, do you think? Some of the guys I came along with would like to know!

Thanks

Ali xx

PS Nice smilies!!

Why is it that everthing which is fun is illegal, immoral, or fattening?

2,737 posts

Posted:
Each to their own Jon - lol

Got very pissed......very sorry.....more to the people that had to deal with me on the train home but hey I don't know them so it's all good.

Wicked night, great to see all of you
Much hugz
Cam

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Hello people
had a wicked time last night..as usual.
I like the new location. it is nicer as there is more space.
Alice

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

SpacemonkEmember
25 posts

Posted:
Hello everyone

Sorry about the set-up problem last week. Forgot to check the stereo lead was packed before setting off. Sooo annoying that I didn't notice when I was at work as I've got loads of them there Still, sorted it in the end thanks to the fish restaurant's really nice owner who deprived his chefs of one of their radios for the evening .

Thinking that the extra space was really nice though perhaps it would be best for us to be up against the wall so that less people can walk around the area. And I'll have a go at collecting glasses at the end again as we're so far from the Spits bar and I susspect someone'll get arsey about the extra mess.

Tube strikes!!!! So so annoying

But apparently they are on, both this week and next, which I'm afraid means we can't be But the second one could be cancelled, and I'll keep everyone up to date as best I can. Inc. sending out a whole load of text messages now to get the ball rolling. But if everyone who reads this knows someone who comes to Spits on Tuesdays who might not know, could they please pass this on?

Apart from that, it's been great, I've been lovin it and all the happy people who turn up to play and chat. Don't know exactly what's going to happen as it gets colder but we'll keep running as long as we can. Which could be through winter, but we'll have to play that by ear... And see how many people are there in two weeks time - now that Uni.'s have gone back but after the tube strikes.

Have a lovely couple of weeks everyone and I'll see you back at Spitalfields on Tuesday 8th, and hopefully most of you around and about, and down at Clapham Common on Sunday if the weather's good

+ (Cam you fiend, so sorry I missed your most excellent party. Seriously looking forward to the next one though. By all accounts a good night well spent.)

SmilE

[ 23 September 2002, 20:41: Message edited by: SpacemonkE ]

Perspective allows us to live in a world of incomprehensible possibility, simply by blinding us to almost all of it… We’re not horses, yet we all wear blinkers...

THE UNITED CHAINS OF FIREmember
192 posts

Posted:
Bloody good point...been thinking about that all day: TUBE STRIKE!!! whats everyone doing? apparently it starts at 8 and ends at 8 the next night...maybe start it early for 2 weeks only? at about 5:30??cos in that case i wouldnt bother going home and just stay on the train to spitalfields as i will be comming from amersham (other end of the met line)?? huh? maybe finish at about 7:30?? or 8?...ore is that pushing it?

I don't dance. I move to music - Some dumb schmuck, Blue Peter 16/9/02-------------------This morning, I sat on the TV and I watched the Sofa

2,737 posts

Posted:
Bastardo....I get overground too.

Errrrm, gonna be sat in twiddlin' me fums now.

Any ground breaking suggestions from anyone before I get paraffin and light up on my own at mine?

Needed hug supplements from peeps too.......

Ali-birdmember
102 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the info mate, I shall pass on to my gang so they know not to show up tomorrow night expecting a spinning session!

Bloody tube drivers.

SmallBoy - have one from me

See you all on the 8th

Ali-bird xx

[ 24 September 2002, 00:31: Message edited by: Ali-bird ]

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
TWO WHOLE WEEKS

SB are you free Friday night???

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

CarreySILVER Member
180 posts

Posted:
:BUMP:

Urgent! There is no Spinning at Spitalfields Markets tonight...

On the positive side, we are (A) hoping that the LWT people get their acts together and call off next week's strike and (B) if they don't we will be hosting a night in Spitalfields on Thursday (All together now: Yipppeeeee!)

Hope y'all have a lovely Tuesday anyway...
XXX
C & E

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
wahoooooooooooo! wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
fan-fucking-tasticaly wonderfuly awesome...thursday night...you do knw however this is really going to muck up or boilogiacl clock type thingys...im so used to spinning on a tuesday night...good thing on a thursady tho...only have one lesson on friday morning...then home!

once again:
wahoooooooooooo! wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
fan-fucking-tasticaly wonderfuly awesome!

2,737 posts

Posted:
That's kewl, we luv u guyz heaps.

Errrrrm , if anyone is interested/gets overground etc Me, Jez and a few others are going for beers there anyway (minus toys) in case anyone wants to get together anyhow.

See y'all
SmallBoy - x

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I wont be able to make it tonight.
I have no money.
I have no idea how to get there overground....maybe Mr Bovril wants to come over to mine tonight? or anyone else for that matter...bugger...no lolli/ jojo...hhmmmm.need to hook up with the other harrow crew...maybe tonight is the night......who knows...who cares?

2,737 posts

Posted:
Grrrrr - remind away little man, why not.
(*Sulks off to find something to hug*)

2,737 posts

Posted:
Oh and it wasn't on.......

CarreySILVER Member
180 posts

Posted:
Helloooo!

Okay, so just to make sure everyone knows what's going on:

We are NOT going to be at Spitz tonight. Sorry! We never really meant to be there tonight. I should have worded my previous email more specifically.

We ARE hoping we can be there on Tuesday, 1 October 2002, but that depends on whether the second planned Tube strike action goes ahead or not. Everyone is instructed to cross their fingers to help make sure they don't go ahead!

IF they do strike , we WILL be at Spitz on Thursday, 3 October 2002.

Unfortunately, I can't give you anything more definite than that. The only sure thing I can say is that we miss you guys and we want to do something next week regardless!

So, have a lovely weekend...we'll see you all soon!
XXX
C & E

2,737 posts

Posted:
Awwwww - cheerz guys.

Sorry we didn't make it to Spitz to round up stragglers on Tuesday (despite saying we would)
We ended up doing fire at Jez's house in Waterloo
(me, whilst VERY pissed in my suit).
Good pics though and no melted suit

See you hopefully tuesday

yay - 900 posts (Had to be here that it was done too - lol)

[ 26 September 2002, 20:47: Message edited by: SmallBoy ]

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Everyone....i Have great news on the state of my collection of jackets...it has expanded...and you shall she either my lurvely purple smoking jacket...or...my carpet jacket...not joking...it was actually a carpet..yes..A CARPET..its got a lovely shag pile and is yellow...which reminds me of my other jacket wich i have obtained...yellow silk...oooooo..the smoothness is untrue! so to every meetering i shall wear a new jacket...however as the capret jacket does look quite a bit wierd....i will only wear it to clapham...cos there are more loonies there than at spittalfields.
Toodlepip

CarreySILVER Member
180 posts

Posted:
Thank you U.C.F. for that strange message, and I look forward to seeing your new jackets. Could you please wear the carpet though, because I'm intrigued!

Reminder 1: Spitz will NOT be happening tomorrow. The members of Tube unions have thwarted us again.

Have a lovely time anyway...

See you Thursday instead!

C & E

2,737 posts

Posted:
Great - just to reaffirm my view that London bites..... (although bites less than most places in this crappy country so I'm staying put for a while.)

Cheers for moving it - much luv

Ali-birdmember
102 posts

Posted:
I won't be coming out to play tonight cos I've got a snotty nasty cold but lots of my mates will be.

So let's just hope they stop bloody striking! Buggers!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
not comming tonight guys...sorry..the carpet jacket will have to wait untill saturday.

im stuck at school getting screwed....cos it parents evening and im goin to be dead-explaination on saturday tho

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
just checkin to make sure spitalfields spin is back on tonight...?

my new job in broadgate is about 5 minutes walk away so i'll be along tonight for me first tuesday night spin (i normally don't spin on a tuesday for religious reasons but i'll make an exception for this).

and the extra question that's probably been asked loads before: is there any point bringing paraffin or is it strictly non-pyro?

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Page: ...