Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Poi and Staff workshops in Spitalfields Market EC1 London

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
SpacemonkEmember
25 posts

Posted:
----------- Spinning@... Update -----------

Dear all

we have moved to a new location.... se here for the new treead

[Old link]

see you at the rag factory..

this is why we have moved...

We had discussions in the pub on Tuesday regarding the use of the market for spinning@spitz and thanks to friends we have a much clearer idea of what’s going on:

Unfortunately we are not allowed back into the market for our workshops. It seems that while we have been out the market for the work, there has been a change of management. The new management appears to want to “increase the value” of the market area (gentrification is the term being used). This has led to many of the existing tenants not being invited to re enter the market, our selves included.

The st’georges residents association would have had no idea we would not be allowed back in, so although annoying its not their fault. We still have contacts in the market and we don’t want to cut out any future possibility of re-entering the market at a later date by kicking up a fuss, especially when there is no chance at all of us using the space in the current climate.

We need to do 2 things… 1. Find a temporary place to play ASAP… (see top) and 2. Find a permanent new home… to help us move forward we need your help. Please think of the people around you, be it your parents, friends, colleagues etc and see if there is anyone who may be able to finds us a new home… put the feelers out there.

If you find somewhere that fits our criteria (see below) then please get a contact name, a number or email and if appropriate, have a brief chat with them as a recommendation or personal contact makes a huge difference. If they are interested, forward their details to me and I will then chase it up.

We require an indoor or covered outdoor area with adequate lighting able to house up to 100 people on a Tuesday evening within 10mins from a tube and centrally located. We also require power to run a portable stereo.

On another note we have decided to have a Xmas party to raise some funds to help us secure a new spinning@..... ‘s venue. The confirmed date is Thursday 20th December in a Brixton from about 7.30 pm to 1 am. More details to follow.

Hopefully we will get sorted very soon and in the meantime we will meet at the poet next week and maybe look at ice skating, bowling or something else there after.

Huge hugs

Kev and the guys at spinning@.... ‘s

grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug

EDITED_BY: Dom (1208047279)

Perspective allows us to live in a world of incomprehensible possibility, simply by blinding us to almost all of it… We’re not horses, yet we all wear blinkers...

Ali-birdmember
102 posts

Posted:
thanks Dom, that's sweet! I'm gonna try and slow it down a little so the flame is more obvious next time, but yeah, I loved it!

Won't be in Clapham on Sunday unfortunately, but should be back at Spitalfields next week!

Why is it that everthing which is fun is illegal, immoral, or fattening?

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Fast is good too. Just personally I like a slower, smoother style. Bit more graceful to my eyes.

KaliBRONZE Member
577 posts

Posted:
Dom!!!! That's no excuse! I was there last night and felt totally abandoned because you weren't there! It took DFQ all night to calm me down. I swear.

Beauty is the conscious sum of all our perversions.-Salvador DaliHope without action is hopeless.

SmallBoy - xCarpal \'Tunnel
2,737 posts

Posted:

Damn those stairs Ewan, you really should get that landing light fixed.......
Hello?
Anyone there?
Help?
Broken bones etc......
May need ambulance......
Or sexy girl to kiss it better....
Preferrably second one.............

P.S. My job is to walk round and chat up women under the pretence of fixing their computers....or to be at lunch.....or in the park getting stoned.....but not for the next month.
(**Starts shaking through THC & Alcohol withdrawal even though it's only been 33 hours**)

Small Lardy Person In Disguise

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
Well Carrey and Ewan gave us yet another great spinning night last night, so I just want to take the time to thank them both for all the hard work and effort that they have put into helping us play

It was really nice seeing so many new people turn up (with toys.......). And did anyone see that young boy pick up poi for the first time??? he only went and did the 3 beat then the 5 beat weave within about 20 mins

Anyway guys, cheers for helping me have sooo much fun last night, and I'll look forward to seeing you all (PLUS MORE) at next weeks workshop.

Bam
X

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
And I was at work However I did get home and see loads of you spinning on Channel 4! Ewan, Carrey, Lisa, Marco, Haze, Davy, all spinning away in Davy's back garden. Very weird!

2,737 posts

Posted:
Damn forgot to add my thanks......
No classical music.......ahhh fond memories of stuk-yarcoch in A minor. (One I haven't heard since I was 15 myself I might add........)
yes it was cool, I love you all (as u know) and I can't wait till next time......purrrrrr.
Oh and how many extra sexy/funky spinner peeps were there.....or was that just me being slightly luvved up, bouncy & sober at the time?????
Popularity spreading like a small patch of un-noticed mould....
Lovely to watch all of yous doing funky stuff
And many thanx to Miss Carrey and Mr SpaceMonkE.
Much respect......

CarreySILVER Member
180 posts

Posted:
Tuesdays are fun days...

I speak for us both (Ewan and I) when I say we really enjoy hosting the evenings. They are great! (Almost as great as Sundays on Clapham Common...)

Thanks for all your support and hope to see many of you tomorrow evening...

Cheerio,
C
XXX

2,737 posts

Posted:
CHews-D Eggen.....Rahhhhhh.....
Edit to say I'll have to stop posting here... This is number 10 afterall.....

Carrey honey, if you had fire as well you'd rule.....nothing at all to do with the pub and close vicinty to minor conveniences like...oooo i don't know....music, toilets etc.....But just because it's you.......awwwwwww.

Plus it's far more public.....(gets you used to spinning in front of non-poi types)...and you attract far more people into the hobby just by grabbing passers-by and teaching them. You guys also devote a lot of time teaching people that you sense are a bit shy and don't like to come up and harrass people for lessons.
For which you have given a lot of time and effort and you have gained love, friends and respect.

I don't think Sundays are better they're just different......my thoughts......might not be anyone elses......

Plus we go 4 beers afterwards - woop-skip-flop-skippedy-woop........mmmmmmm beer....(& Hugz)

Stay peachE -
Cam

[ 21 August 2002, 21:35: Message edited by: SmallBoy ]

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I've just discovered that the trains are pretty good on a tuesday night, so it'll only take 90 minutes each way if I was to start turning up too.
I'll be turning up a bit late because I can't really leave work early, but I'm seriously considering it, I've just got to get round to investing in a railcard first, so it's not so damned expensive for me to get anywhere by train.

[ 20 August 2002, 22:12: Message edited by: TheBovrilMonkey ]

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

2,737 posts

Posted:
**Ahem** - Page 2 my ass........
'Tis Tuesday, & I'll bump the thread even if no-one else loves it.......

x - there there thread, don't worry the other HOP'ers DO luv u really - xxx.

(**Cheesy Grin**)
(**Runz off for more coffe**)

2,737 posts

Posted:
That's it I REFUSE to be the next person to bump this thread............

TURN UP, ALL OF U OR I'LL SET FIRE TO YOUR HOUSE.

(**wondering if the hard sell technique actually works - LOL**)

Much luv - x

Ali-birdmember
102 posts

Posted:
I'll be back tonight, no longer in France and back at work but it does mean I can come and play

see you there x

2,737 posts

Posted:
yay - I didn't have to write 3 in a row......

ITS TUUUUUUUUUUUEEEEEEEEESDDDDDDAYYYYYYYYYYY.....

(**bounces around, and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round.....leg falls off, SmallBoy falls on floor screaming in agony.......**)
Arrrrrghhhhhh, errm yeah, come along tuesday, all of you, and someone call me an ambulance, oh mummy it's cold, help me it's getting dark, help, where's my teddy, I WANT MY TEDDY..........

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
cam,

I was wondering if you could help me, I'm looking for some kind of poi workshop in london.
wondering if you knew of any, preferably on a tuesday night?

do you know of any??

G

2,737 posts

Posted:
Hey Drew, s'tru where u been geeza?
Errrm, tuesdayz are a bit tough.....errrm Oh wait hang on I think one or two peeps hang out somewhere in SpitalFields market from about....ooooh brain hurts from concentrating too hard.....I think 7ish-til about 10.....then beers and hugging lots of people.

Hope u can make it down, be nice to see you again, especially with Kensal closing as from Thursday and all that.

(Big slap to anyone that didn't go there last week and left us down there with about 20 peeps....but good fire for the 5 of us that did it - lol.)

U rock man, come teach us lesser post-graduate poi-not-quite-jedi-masters some trix -

(and feel free to come round to my intro house and grab a cookie and a mug of tea. Would offer u a spliff but you're not smoking at present???? or was that just Thursday??? - saying that virtual spliffs don't have half the risk of lung cancer and stonedness that real ones do...... )

PS Ewan (SpaceMonkE) would like to inform the masses that he has a tune tube, bass box, stereo jobby that he's quite chuffed wiv and would like people to come see it (for a price of course)

Stay Smiley
Much luv
Cam - errr.....I mean SmallBoy

[ 03 September 2002, 22:16: Message edited by: SmallBoy ]

THE UNITED CHAINS OF FIREmember
192 posts

Posted:
I shall be there!!!!

one HUGE thanks to malcolm for sending my fire heads so fucking quickly to me!!! i ordered them last thursday....and they went and arrived today!!! wow!! how fast is that!! (on normal air mail as well!!)

I don't dance. I move to music - Some dumb schmuck, Blue Peter 16/9/02-------------------This morning, I sat on the TV and I watched the Sofa

Ali-birdmember
102 posts

Posted:
I think I've got quite a few mates coming down tonight, some with Poi and some just to watch and drink some beers, so see you all there

PS I did some fire in France at a big party/camp thing I was at and it was wicked!! I still have great difficulty explaining what Poi are and why we do it to the uninitiated though

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
Thanks cam,

I'm a bit out of london at the mo, s no tonight for me, although it would be good. poo
but I'll make it to the legendary last thursday ever (I think this is now the 3rd last thursday ever, but you cant ever miss em, just in case.)

laters potatas

Drew

2,737 posts

Posted:
Lush, see you Thursday.

Last night was fekkin blinding BTW.....

Much luv, hugz and peach melba twists to Ewan & Carrey 4 organising me an ongoing social life for Tuesdayz - Tee Hee

Great to see everyone again, although I now realise that there's a whole heap of people that do summin called "Planet Angel" on a Friday that I don't know - must go along soon.......

Bounce, bounce, skip, bounce, bounce, skip, bounce, bounce, skip, bounce, bounce, skip, bounce, bounce, skip, bounce, bounce, skip, bounce, bounce, skip, bounce, bounce, skip, bounce, bounce, skip, bounce, bounce, skip, bounce, bounce, skip, bounce.......etc...

Sorry, still buzzy from getting the 2 most stunning women on the planet to hug me at the same time last night -

Much luv & Hugz evry1 - xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
*Bump*, just so smallboy doesn't have to

If all goes well, and I can pursuade my mum to either teach me how, or sew me a new set of poi, I'll be dragging myself along next tuesday

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

2,737 posts

Posted:
Come along anyway, I've got poi you can borrow (ie a surplus set, not just a set you can you when I'm not) as do lots of us.....
YOU HAVE NO EXCUSES - muhahahahaha

Oh yeah, and that goes for all of you......

Keep Smiling and Stay Green -

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Woohoo! I've nagged my mum enough so she'll make me a new set this evening, so I'll turn up tomorrow!
I suppose I probably could have just used one of my other sets, but I need to find new ways to explain my addiction to making more poi

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Having decided I'm going to turn up tomorrow (actually, it'll probably be today by the time I finish this post ), I suddenly decided that having never been to the market or liverpool street station before, I have no idea where I'd actually be going.
Can anyone give me some idiot proof directions to get there, or is it literally on the doorstep of the station?

2,737 posts

Posted:
Yep, get to Liverpool street station.
Leave via Broadgate exit (Hamilton Hall, not McDonalds, and Not bus station exit)
Turn left onto Broadgate
Turn Right at ABN Amro (fekking great glass building with digital clock on pole outside.
Go into green roofed building.
Walk diagonally across
Step under string that fences area off
Walk up to guy with dyed blod hair
Say Hello
If you get lost Call this number 07984 288063, and I'll come meet you.
See you tonight
Cam

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Cheers, I'm sure even I can follow those directions, despite how easily I get lost
My friends always laugh about how easily I get lost, although since I've got lost so many times, I'm now also fairly good at getting unlost after wandering around for a while

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
Well I'm looking forward to meetinig you sir.

it's Tuesday it's Tuesday it's Tuesday....and I still have to work late

Someone save me PLEASE.......

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
or alternativly, come out of liverpool st staion, turn left and keep walking untill you see a lurverly multi colourerd cow on the other side of the street..go down that street (stopping only to say hello to the cow...the should be a large building sitye in front of you. walk past it and keep walking...take the first enterance on the left and walk on a bearing of 037 degrees (next to the bar on the other side of the market....i wont be there tonight...for aformentioned reasons.

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
I wont be joining you tonight
I suppose in theory i could...but i cant... ok..dont ask! Too complecated to explain!

Wish i could come tonight just i have no money! But i'll be there on Sunday at Clapham!

Take care..dont have too much fun without me
Alice

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
How was it last night...i cried constantly from around 7ish to 10....i was sad ;-(

Page: ...