Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Poi and Staff workshops in Spitalfields Market EC1 London

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
SpacemonkEmember
25 posts

Posted:
----------- Spinning@... Update -----------

Dear all

we have moved to a new location.... se here for the new treead

[Old link]

see you at the rag factory..

this is why we have moved...

We had discussions in the pub on Tuesday regarding the use of the market for spinning@spitz and thanks to friends we have a much clearer idea of what’s going on:

Unfortunately we are not allowed back into the market for our workshops. It seems that while we have been out the market for the work, there has been a change of management. The new management appears to want to “increase the value” of the market area (gentrification is the term being used). This has led to many of the existing tenants not being invited to re enter the market, our selves included.

The st’georges residents association would have had no idea we would not be allowed back in, so although annoying its not their fault. We still have contacts in the market and we don’t want to cut out any future possibility of re-entering the market at a later date by kicking up a fuss, especially when there is no chance at all of us using the space in the current climate.

We need to do 2 things… 1. Find a temporary place to play ASAP… (see top) and 2. Find a permanent new home… to help us move forward we need your help. Please think of the people around you, be it your parents, friends, colleagues etc and see if there is anyone who may be able to finds us a new home… put the feelers out there.

If you find somewhere that fits our criteria (see below) then please get a contact name, a number or email and if appropriate, have a brief chat with them as a recommendation or personal contact makes a huge difference. If they are interested, forward their details to me and I will then chase it up.

We require an indoor or covered outdoor area with adequate lighting able to house up to 100 people on a Tuesday evening within 10mins from a tube and centrally located. We also require power to run a portable stereo.

On another note we have decided to have a Xmas party to raise some funds to help us secure a new spinning@..... ‘s venue. The confirmed date is Thursday 20th December in a Brixton from about 7.30 pm to 1 am. More details to follow.

Hopefully we will get sorted very soon and in the meantime we will meet at the poet next week and maybe look at ice skating, bowling or something else there after.

Huge hugs

Kev and the guys at spinning@.... ‘s

grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug

EDITED_BY: Dom (1208047279)

Perspective allows us to live in a world of incomprehensible possibility, simply by blinding us to almost all of it… We’re not horses, yet we all wear blinkers...

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
I shall be there tonight as well

"Moo," said the happy cow.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
i miss you all.....I shuld be there next week tho with a fine collection of tunes.....oh and many a

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
ponders the thought of a trip to london to visit all my friends, see ya'll seem to be having loads of fun in the cold winter months, no one up north can face it for some reason. maybe some of you southerners can make it up north for our gathering at the end of the month and teach them all to not fear cold weather.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
ponders the thought of a trip to london to visit all my friends, see ya'll seem to be having loads of fun in the cold winter months, no one up north can face it for some reason. maybe some of you southerners can make it up north for our gathering at the end of the month and teach them all to not fear cold weather.

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
Pk,I take it that was so important that you had to say it twice

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
lol i hit the button twice, oh well.

faery emBRONZE Member
fae
259 posts

Posted:
the circus master let me out of my cage for the evening on tuesday... but i dont think it'll happen again for some time

see you in about another 3 months perhaps

warp children still smile the same

"when i left the mine i realised that the world was changing. or was it us who were changing?"

SpacemonkEmember
25 posts

Posted:
Hello eeeverybooody, + #competition at end#

Good night Tuesday, fair few more people, area almost needed to get bigger at one point (well, almost ) And a bit chilly but everyone seemed happy to stay and spin. Bummer! Looks like I've got no choice but to keep this thing open, dang shame

Bammus, noo, you were missed and it was warm (ish)!!! Still, I suppose I got a fair dose of you at PA (Never enough though obviously.) Might just about survive until next Tues

Chains - good to hear you're coming back to the fold, (not cos we like you, we're just missing your toonage) (and your shirts) (and your jackets) (well ok, we miss you.)

PK - you gats te come, you just Gats te. Though if you're just popping down, try to make it over a second Friday in the month and we'll take you to Planet Angel.

Amy - what horrible affliction keeps you from us? Is it something we can help with? I have time on my hands, Cam's a Ninja, BamBam's well'ard (always be afraid of the quiet ones,) and we have computer bods too - together we can do anything!! Ha ha ha haaaaa aaoook, perhaps not anything, but wassuuuuuuup? Whyyounocomedown?

Ok that's enough corrupting and prying for and oh no it's not... I forgot. The reason I'm writing is to say that we're having a bit of a competition, just a little one. For an image for a Spitz flyer (yes that one I've been meaning to put together since we began )
Someone’s already been kind enough to say that they’ll have a go/ take care of putting the flyer design together (you know who you are and although you didn’t know there were incentives (you foolishly nice person,) yours is also as below…)

Prize:

Eight weeks free access to Spitz. Has to be claimed consecutively but can begin on which ever week you want (cos it's chilly and you may want to wait until it's warmer/ you have the time)(+with the understanding that we won't be running for ever.)

Guidelines are:

-JPEG or BMP.
-Instantly recognisable as a Spinning discipline.
(Pref but not necessarily even if the relevant parts were cut out/ silhouetted.)
-Resolution as high as possible.
-Entries to elockerb@yahoo.co.uk
-Max no of entries = two per person - I've only got 10MB on my account so please make them count.

And that's it, except please note that we won't necessarily be able to use the best image. Instead the image used will be the one we think works best as a flyer.

Cool, take ye'all,

Big smile

[ 19. January 2003, 04:18: Message edited by: SpacemonkE ]

Perspective allows us to live in a world of incomprehensible possibility, simply by blinding us to almost all of it… We’re not horses, yet we all wear blinkers...

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Spacemonke he say
quote:
please note that we won't necessarily be able to use the best image. Instead the image used will be the one we think works best as a flyer.
So is the prize for the image on the flyer, or the best image?

Spacemonke he say also
quote:
(+with the understanding that we won't be running for ever.)
You what?

As long as you mean "not running for ever" in a "until the seas boil away and the Earth is engulfed in the mahoosive burny flames of the Sun" kind of way then thats alright. Otherwise my Tuesdays are gonna go from to

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
LOL @ Simian

Yeah, anyone would think you had some kind of "right" to stop doing poi every week

I'm bored... wish it were poi time already!

Kristy-Leemember
26 posts

Posted:
Hi guys,
I'm new to the UK from Aus and was hoping for some info on you Sunday Sesh. I'd love to come along and join in the fun!!. I'm afraid I'm short of my fire gear (living in AUST and all) so was wondering if there are any 'makeshift' equiptment I should bring, I do have tennis balls on rope
look forward to your reply

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Um, we don't have an actual Sunday Sesh at the moment. Spittalfields is Tuesday nights though, and all the relevant details and directions and stuff will be on page one of this thread.

Be warned though, Australian visitors to Spitz have been known to turn blue and shiver so violently that their poi planes resemble ridged crisps.
(That was an overstretched metaphor wasn't it? I could have just said "hey, it can be pretty cold." but nooooooooo)

ooh, and tennis balls on rope are the best poi. Screw these equipment junkies and their aerotech flashy woo strobe balls, lets get back to basics with the lo-fi style.

ok, i'm going now

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

tadpoleGOLD Member
enthusiast
200 posts

Posted:
Are there any weekend sessions at all in London? I would love to go, but can't do London and back every Tuesday night

Don't worry, be happy...

SpacemonkEmember
25 posts

Posted:
On bended knee I offer apology for the brief lapse of sanity and perspective offered by myself as the purveyor of said 'Spitz Image competition' with regards to the afore mentioned offensive and obviously grossly deluded and potentially hallucinatory suggestion that Spitz might in fact one day end...

...before, the seas boil, the sky turns to fire and the small insects of the planet rise up to again take their rightful place at the top of the food chain (not that they'd last very long I guess, with fire for air n'all, but hey, til then )

Aaanyway sorry about that. Just to confirm then, I've got absolutely no intention of ending Spitz, at all, ever really. For the foreseeable future the only thing that could really make me stop is if not enough people turn up. And as we've almost survived the cold (though it's due to be a cold one again this week I'm afraid) we should be ok. And if I personally had to stop but it didn't, then I know enough people that would be happy to step in and take over to keep it running for everyone I'm sure.

So no worries.

And talking of which, hello Kristy-Lee, and welcome from Spitz. Carrey, my better travelled other half has just got back from a break out in Sydney and Brisbane, and co-incidence no. #2's that she's actually Carrey-Leigh.!! Could the signs be more clear? I think not. You have to come now

Tadpole helloo :-) Sorry, I don’t know anything regular on at the weekends at the moment, though there's talk of starting up Poi on Clapham Common again as soon as possible. You could try posting a thread in the introduction section and ask people what’s coming up in the near future. Other than that, Planet Angel (I must sound like a broken record by now) on the second Friday of each month. 14th’s the next one (Valentines night,) 10-6am, very much a club and a good one, but with a small spinning space (and happy spinners within.)

Big respeck goin out to Simian, our current leader in the competition! He is currently ‘the man.’ And I’m thinking that that we’ll only run the competition until next Friday, the 31st I’m afraid.

So grab ye shots and send em in Address is above and good luck, may the centrifugal force be with you.

SmilE.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
horefully horry hadies and hentelmen...me no there last wekk....me after saying would be i....sick i was...tonsil infetion me visit paid a. tomorrow should there i be though....new areotechs with also come

and now for something completely different...a midget in a bikini.....
NO!!!!!!! not really (sorry to get your hopes up n all that jazz)

what i meant to say was sorry i wasnt there last week as i siad i would be but the evil blue came and paid me a vist and infected my tonsilly thingies with its blueness....but i will be there tomrrow with my lurvely aerotechs...looking forwards to becomeing a regular once again....seeing as i havent been down since before christmas!

tally ho and toodly pipity

iopmember
35 posts

Posted:

Hello people i'll be there tomorrow

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you!

The United ChainsOf Fire (Chris)member
24 posts

Posted:
you had better not be there tomorrow....its tonight!

and i shall be bopping on down......but alas! wiothout tuneage as i left it up in sheffield but...it is being sent down my means of the fantastic thistle and the perplexing snoopoi!

Everything other than lying down is officially Long(excluding, Poi, Sex ((if shes on top)) Smokes and Beer)I inventeed the HippoI was Frosty PoiStuff is cool

UCOF (emergency)member
129 posts

Posted:
sorry...the above post was actually by me...frosty logs on at college using my account and i didnt check who i was logged on as.

erm...this is only a temp account until i get home and get the password to my usual account...sorry (itsa still the same flipping wierdo though)

SpacemonkEmember
25 posts

Posted:
UCOF and his multiple personalities... Oh well, hope to see all of them tonight

Just wanted to let you know that the competition closes tonight at midnight! Nice one for your entries and your efforts. They've been great to see and who knows, I may ask if I can use them in the future.

Part from that, bit of a chilly one again today I'm afraid. But nay matter, I'll see the hearty-hard-core later, and the spring softies soon

smilE.

SmallBoy - xCarpal \'Tunnel
2,737 posts

Posted:
Woooohoooo - post number 200..........

Me love you all looooooooooooong time - xxx

Ok, 'twas cold but 'twas wicked.....great to catch up, even if I didn't pick up any toys all night due to wearing stupid suit and it being too cold to take it off.

Cheers for - - (U know who u is), and general fluffy bounciness from every1.

Catch you all next week.

Small Lardy Person In Disguise

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
Or perhaps it's because BamBam and Hel's Bells are holding them hostage.........bring us sweet things or the staff gets it

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

2,737 posts

Posted:
Oooooh, thoughts of you too "giving it" to a staff are far too much for my perverse little mind to cope with.......lol

Hey honey, I shall bring you 2 sweet things anyway coz you're luvvly and you make me smile even when you're not around.

Any preferences or would a bag of glucose do ya? - - rumour is that you've nearly got through yours - xxx

UCOF (emergency)member
129 posts

Posted:
i challenge you smallboy to attempt to talk in teh german cum russian cum south african accent you so hilariously talked in all night last tuesday...lets see if you can do it!

erm...this is only a temp account until i get home and get the password to my usual account...sorry (itsa still the same flipping wierdo though)

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i believe the accent you refer to is commonly known as 'foreign'.

usually found hanging on the words of baked party people on a sunday, it looks like its spreading...

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

2,737 posts

Posted:
Errrm, actually it's a poor rendition of the accent Ben, Cole and Jon talk in on occasion.
They didn't warn me it was so addictive though, and you can get away with saying all sorts of things in it, and harrassing people without them feeling harrassed.
(I'll shut up now)

2,737 posts

Posted:
And it's slightly mexican.........

UCOF (emergency)member
129 posts

Posted:
oh yeh....thought there was a certain thing missing..

Ali-birdmember
102 posts

Posted:
Hello peeps.

I won't be there tonight cos I'm nursing a baaaad throat infection

BUT [begin party plug] Johanna will be there with her brand new hair (you'll see) and lots of tickets for our party wot we are putting on next month - space for poi and staff (no fire though), spiralx is playing tunes, as are a bunch of our mates and my boy with a variety from breakbeat through techno to hard trance, there's chill space etc etc.

It's March 7th and we wanna see all you lovely people there! [/end party plug]

Enough thread hijacking. (sorry!) Bummer that I won't be there tonight... BAMBAM how did you get on at your gig at Alignment?? I heard it went really well, but did you find it so? Bet you were awesome. Now all I've gotta do i get myself a couple of small double staffs and I can get practising again!!

See you all soon...

Ali xxx

Why is it that everthing which is fun is illegal, immoral, or fattening?

Tristanmember
5 posts

Posted:
Hiya just wanted to find out what regular london events there are in central since the one on borough high street closed

--------------------sex and fire sometimes its a choicesometimes i get too hot

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Heheh, there's this one. Every Tuesday in Spitalfields Market near Liverpool St, from about 6ish till 10.

Page: ......