Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Poi and Staff workshops in Spitalfields Market EC1 London

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
SpacemonkEmember
25 posts

Posted:
----------- Spinning@... Update -----------

Dear all

we have moved to a new location.... se here for the new treead

[Old link]

see you at the rag factory..

this is why we have moved...

We had discussions in the pub on Tuesday regarding the use of the market for spinning@spitz and thanks to friends we have a much clearer idea of what’s going on:

Unfortunately we are not allowed back into the market for our workshops. It seems that while we have been out the market for the work, there has been a change of management. The new management appears to want to “increase the value” of the market area (gentrification is the term being used). This has led to many of the existing tenants not being invited to re enter the market, our selves included.

The st’georges residents association would have had no idea we would not be allowed back in, so although annoying its not their fault. We still have contacts in the market and we don’t want to cut out any future possibility of re-entering the market at a later date by kicking up a fuss, especially when there is no chance at all of us using the space in the current climate.

We need to do 2 things… 1. Find a temporary place to play ASAP… (see top) and 2. Find a permanent new home… to help us move forward we need your help. Please think of the people around you, be it your parents, friends, colleagues etc and see if there is anyone who may be able to finds us a new home… put the feelers out there.

If you find somewhere that fits our criteria (see below) then please get a contact name, a number or email and if appropriate, have a brief chat with them as a recommendation or personal contact makes a huge difference. If they are interested, forward their details to me and I will then chase it up.

We require an indoor or covered outdoor area with adequate lighting able to house up to 100 people on a Tuesday evening within 10mins from a tube and centrally located. We also require power to run a portable stereo.

On another note we have decided to have a Xmas party to raise some funds to help us secure a new spinning@..... ‘s venue. The confirmed date is Thursday 20th December in a Brixton from about 7.30 pm to 1 am. More details to follow.

Hopefully we will get sorted very soon and in the meantime we will meet at the poet next week and maybe look at ice skating, bowling or something else there after.

Huge hugs

Kev and the guys at spinning@.... ‘s

grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug

EDITED_BY: Dom (1208047279)

Perspective allows us to live in a world of incomprehensible possibility, simply by blinding us to almost all of it… We’re not horses, yet we all wear blinkers...

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
rotflmao

hahahaha...,...

lol...i wish i was there last night....good thing i didnt ring you,....i was going to as well!

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
You pushed no boundary. By your own standards I'd say that you were 'mildly inebriated' yesterday.

If you wish to push boundaries then i suggest you arrive earlier, eat less, hold your breath occasionally until you nearly black out, and mix your drinks.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
Could you all please talk quietly, some of us are nursing sore heads .......

BamBamBamBamBamBaam (ohhh there goes my head again)

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
wicked night last night!

blagged loads of one-handed stuff off jez (cheers man ) and ridiculous baton twirling girl that i met once backstage @ the fridge was there!
i don't know her name but she is super friendly and can fishtail *everywhere*
her friend makes me want to cry too (i really should introduce myself one day so i can use actual names and stuff) - two weeks on poi and she had the tightest planes in the whole place!

big s to all the spitz crew - you all rock!
(except for you fake spinners who just go sit in a bar all evening and pretend that they've been to a workshop ).

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

3,149 posts

Posted:
Coleman:
Super-tight-plane-girl's name is Linda.

Baton girl (whose name i just forgot for the 2nd time) made me realise that i am totally rubbish at spinning a stick around. She does a crazy spinning round move with her leg in the air. I can do that. In my head.

As for the hanging around in the bar all night, it was tooo goddam goddam cold. I was expecting it in winter so I was ok, but this was stealth cold that i didn't even realise was cold until was really cold. And then I was cold. So I went and sat in the bar all night. It was warm AND they had beer AND a smallboy.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Simian:
Coleman:
Super-tight-plane-girl's name is Linda.
Is that the Australian one? Small and blonde?

quote:
Baton girl (whose name i just forgot for the 2nd time) made me realise that i am totally rubbish at spinning a stick around. She does a crazy spinning round move with her leg in the air. I can do that. In my head.
If it's the one I'm thinking of I think it was Julia or something. Gah I'm crap with names!

Actually got less done than normal last night... not sure why though

"Moo," said the happy cow.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
julia rings a bell but i am also terrible with names (i'm pretty sure she'd forgotten mine too though so its cool ).

i hadn't met the other girl before and didn't notice if she was aussie or not. kinda noticed she was very cute though...

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

3,149 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by coleman:
i hadn't met the other girl before and didn't notice if she was aussie or not. kinda noticed she was very cute though...
That's Linda
yes she's from Oz, and she was telling me that apparently they DON'T have flying monkeys wearing fez hats over there. Its all propaganda.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
no flying monkeys eh? she lies man, she lies...

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

3,149 posts

Posted:
Crazy Memory Flash!

Baton Girl = Jenny

Ah, the wonders of the human brain. A unique memory lost like snowflake in blizzard may sudden spring um... up like a er... boingy thing.

(note to self. knowing when to stop is the most important part of posting on a thread or indeed any form of prose. keep it short and sweet. if you ramble endlessly then any fleeting interest on the part of the reader is quickly obliterated. scattered to the winds like a thousand sheets of paper covered in overextended metaphors cast from an office window into the streets like a flock of similies within metaphors struggling like crabs to escape the vast briny depths of their umm yeah

i'm going now

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
just remembered....frostypoi will be joining us in 2 weeks time...

i might not be there tho...cos i might be in germany practicing for exams..

but i hope i will be there..

iopmember
35 posts

Posted:
Linda is the oz girl with blond hair (new only been a few times)

and Jenny is the amazing twirler doing silly ridiculous moves that ain't possible (went to her first time)

I know this through forgetting there names more than 4 times each and no its hammered into my brain.

I though all australian were called Bruce! it would be a lot easier if they were!

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you!

timsimmsmember
33 posts

Posted:
Can someone please clarify for me, Spittlefields Market, on Tuesdays? from 7pm to 10pm?
How much?

Do some of you play with fire there as well? or is it non flammable twirling and spinning?

Finish work this week at 4:30pm, gets me to Liverpool Street by 7pm if I am lucky.

Exciting stuff.

I am the guy running around with his hair on fire!!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
right...nioce to see you soon... (oh...funky east 17 beats coming outa my speakers)...

dum doo dum dee

its from 6 til 10..

NO fire...non flamatories only

about 3-4 squid a week

next week is naked week so dont bring any clothes...

[ 13. April 2003, 21:40: Message edited by: THE UNITED CHAINS OF FIRE ]

timsimmsmember
33 posts

Posted:
6 - 10pm.... might be a bit late, after posting I could see a problem with a group of people there lighting up.

As for naked week, okay but someone will have to help me shave my back and other bits as the train ride to London might scare a few peoples. And can I get a note saying that travelling naked on public transport to do some twirling is allowed and that I won't end up in a white coat locked away somwhere.

I am the guy running around with his hair on fire!!

Gravity GirlBRONZE Member
13 posts

Posted:
Howdy

Is there a gathering at Spitalfields tonight? I finally have a Tuesday night off work so can come and join in the fun. Oh, and my shoulder is better - HURRAH!!!

Always take time to smell the flowers.

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
Yep we'll be spinning tonight babe, see you there.

Bammers

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:

Hello Possums!!
twas luffly to talk to some of you tonight, sorry i didnt have my true blue dinky die aussie accent on and all, promise to say lots of G'day Mate and Good Onya Cobba next time i call.... (that, plus it was in the wee hours of the morning, and my voice was shite...)

MASSIVE hugz from overyonderdownunder you lot are totally fun to say hi to!

Cam lovey, my pologies, i could barely hear you either, having just jumped on the 6:38 train.... and the passengers were throwing me filthy looks so i couldnt talk any louder, my sorries love! next time `

xoxxoxoxo to all! you are WONDERFUL! totally started my day off in the nicest way

Bov you kick ass man, cheers!

Currently on the right side up of the world.

SmallBoy - xCarpal \'Tunnel
2,737 posts

Posted:
'Ello.............

Flynt - Yep, catch you again I'm sure - x

Gravity Girl, who are you??????????, what do you spin?, must meet these people that keep randomly saying they turn up - (*Bangs head on table*)

Gave some poi lessoning - woohoo, now if I could just work out what I wanted to teach before I taught it and hadn't just rambled crap at people then I might have achieved something.

Any Spins on this weekend anyone??????????

Small Lardy Person In Disguise

3,149 posts

Posted:
I dunno. Its pretty hard to spin a weekend for more than a couple of rotations. And i wouldn't want to break it.

Clapham sunday i assume. Saturday???

I'd be up for summat spinny and chilled on saturday. Waterloo park? Your place? Clapham again? Somewhere else entirely?

Hmm, i might try for the record for most uses of the smiley in one day.

It seems important, but why

2,737 posts

Posted:
Waterloo park sounds good, but what's the weather gonna be like? , got some stagglers who've never met anyone before, that need somewheere to spin and become accustomed to the madenss. What d'ya reckon?

Not sure

Hmmmmmmm

Ok, Saturday sounds good and Waterloo isn't that far away from anyone concerned.

Will Mr.Jez be there? -

Why am I bothering to write this out rather than just call you from my work phone? -

Why does it only let you use 8 smileys per post now?

2,737 posts

Posted:

2,737 posts

Posted:

2,737 posts

Posted:
(*Stops to kill random smiley*)

3,149 posts

Posted:
OI thats cheating

yeah so, saturday it turns out i'm working till 4, so i won't get to the park until 4:40ish. I assume jez'll want to go spin, but i don't want to presumptionise or anyting.

But mmm waterloo park spin. with new people too! ooh and indeed ah.

are you sure they're not spies? or decepticons?

or Decepticon Spies! uhoh i'm getting the fear...

chiequitomember
25 posts

Posted:
Tuesday in Liverpool st., Saturday in Waterloo Park? So how many gathering are there in London? I want to come along too!
By the way I moved from Nottingham to London. Nice to meet you Londoners!!
I haven't been able to come online for too long as I have no access to internet at my house. Grrrrr
Can someone give me infromation about these events in London?? (please)

Gravity GirlBRONZE Member
13 posts

Posted:
Yo Smallboy

I came to the spin-fest for the first time on Tuesday - hooray!

I was spinning pink socks most of the time and gave juggling clubs a bit of a whirl. Brown hair, thick kiwi accent, lost look on face (from being a Spitalfields virgin) - ring any bells? I think you got pointed out to me but not the other way round. Next time I will run up to you and make myself known. Dunno when the next time will be though - gotta earn a crust.

Cheers to all

Always take time to smell the flowers.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
did you see me?

i hope so..

everyone should meet me....at least once....it will change your life forever...

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
i SPOKE to UCOF on tuesday

it's changed my life it has
*nod*

Currently on the right side up of the world.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
told you it would...

ITS TUESDAY! ITS TUESDAY! ITS TUESDAY! ITS TUESDAY! ITS TUESDAY! ITS TUESDAY! ITS TUESDAY! ITS TUESDAY! ITS TUESDAY! ITS TUESDAY! ITS TUESDAY! ITS TUESDAY! ITS TUESDAY! ITS TUESDAY! ITS TUESDAY! ITS TUESDAY! ITS TUESDAY! ITS TUESDAY! ITS TUESDAY! ITS TUESDAY! ITS TUESDAY! ITS TUESDAY! ITS TUESDAY! ITS TUESDAY! ITS TUESDAY! ITS TUESDAY! ITS TUESDAY! ITS TUESDAY! ITS TUESDAY! ITS TUESDAY! ITS TUESDAY! ITS TUESDAY! ITS TUESDAY! ITS TUESDAY! ITS TUESDAY! ITS TUESDAY! ITS TUESDAY! ITS TUESDAY! ITS TUESDAY! ITS TUESDAY! ITS TUESDAY! ITS TUESDAY! ITS TUESDAY! ITS TUESDAY! ITS TUESDAY! ITS TUESDAY! ITS TUESDAY! ITS TUESDAY! ITS TUESDAY! ITS TUESDAY! ITS TUESDAY! ITS TUESDAY! ITS TUESDAY! ITS TUESDAY! ITS TUESDAY! ITS TUESDAY! ITS TUESDAY! ITS TUESDAY!

does happy happy dance on the table..whoopde doo my bredrins and all that related jiggery pokery..

i cant wait to see you all....right..im off to school....bugger...only 2 whole weeks left thankfully..

hhhhhmm...what should i do after i leave school?

Page: ......