Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Poi and Staff workshops in Spitalfields Market EC1 London

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
SpacemonkEmember
25 posts

Posted:
----------- Spinning@... Update -----------

Dear all

we have moved to a new location.... se here for the new treead

[Old link]

see you at the rag factory..

this is why we have moved...

We had discussions in the pub on Tuesday regarding the use of the market for spinning@spitz and thanks to friends we have a much clearer idea of what’s going on:

Unfortunately we are not allowed back into the market for our workshops. It seems that while we have been out the market for the work, there has been a change of management. The new management appears to want to “increase the value” of the market area (gentrification is the term being used). This has led to many of the existing tenants not being invited to re enter the market, our selves included.

The st’georges residents association would have had no idea we would not be allowed back in, so although annoying its not their fault. We still have contacts in the market and we don’t want to cut out any future possibility of re-entering the market at a later date by kicking up a fuss, especially when there is no chance at all of us using the space in the current climate.

We need to do 2 things… 1. Find a temporary place to play ASAP… (see top) and 2. Find a permanent new home… to help us move forward we need your help. Please think of the people around you, be it your parents, friends, colleagues etc and see if there is anyone who may be able to finds us a new home… put the feelers out there.

If you find somewhere that fits our criteria (see below) then please get a contact name, a number or email and if appropriate, have a brief chat with them as a recommendation or personal contact makes a huge difference. If they are interested, forward their details to me and I will then chase it up.

We require an indoor or covered outdoor area with adequate lighting able to house up to 100 people on a Tuesday evening within 10mins from a tube and centrally located. We also require power to run a portable stereo.

On another note we have decided to have a Xmas party to raise some funds to help us secure a new spinning@..... ‘s venue. The confirmed date is Thursday 20th December in a Brixton from about 7.30 pm to 1 am. More details to follow.

Hopefully we will get sorted very soon and in the meantime we will meet at the poet next week and maybe look at ice skating, bowling or something else there after.

Huge hugs

Kev and the guys at spinning@.... ‘s

grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug

EDITED_BY: Dom (1208047279)

Perspective allows us to live in a world of incomprehensible possibility, simply by blinding us to almost all of it… We’re not horses, yet we all wear blinkers...

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Aye aye Captain Underpants!

bounce

*sings*
Tonight, Im gonna have myself a real good time...

biggrin

berttheturnipGOLD Member
2 posts

Posted:
I shall head on down then, can have a few beers too, as i dont think I have work tomorrow.

Helz BellzSILVER Member
lovin' it...
2,444 posts

Posted:
Spits in the pub!?! biggrin beerchug

Yay! look forward to that!

ubbrollsmile

Live well, love much, laugh often...

Official O.B.E.S.E. cheerleader

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
*bump*

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
I might join you for a spin some time early next year... is it on every Tuesday? (just trying to organise my 1 week of work in London with too many people to visit and meet...)

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Yes. smile

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
Oooooooop I will hopefuly be around over crimbo time, maybe next week or week after smile.

Be nice to catch up with peeps biggrin

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
i might actually get me ass in gear an come along this week... maybe... been ill lately an had tooo much stuff on but really wanna see everyone... we'll see... is it pub or market?

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

Ana Dreadnewbie
5 posts

Posted:
Heya, everybody! : ))

My name is Ana and during the summer I have been coming several times to spin with you at Spittfields Market (Wonderful place!). But as I am not originally from UK (I was there for vacation), I had to go back to my homeland, but I remember the most of you who I met there said you also "hang" at this web community and we can communicate through site (I remember Martha who taught me A LOT, Alex, Martin, the Boss, Dana, Natalie and many others who I would like to say BIG HELLO on this occasion). Well, I am not sure if any of you guys remember me- I am girl with dark blonde dreadlocks with russian accent who wanted to learn some posh-"slang"). It doesn't really matter, it's been almost six months and I guess many other people passed through your lives (as they did through mine). Anyway, I want to say I had fantastic time at S.M... I met really great people who were my friends during my stay in London. I will always remember them as extremely friendly and always lookin' to help with spinning. Hehe, I am sooo jealous on all of you who can still come to these sessions. Hopefully I will come to London again...but it'll take years! Hmm... I do still spin, I learnt many moves, even behind my back and several times I even spinned for money on the rave parties. Well, that's all. Love you all, cheers! : ))

[color=lime]VH can't be explained; it has to be expirienced. And... it's stranger than advertised.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else[/color]

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
well that was definately worth it... free set from the Audio Bullies while you spin sir? oh... certainly sir... oh.. suit you sir... nice to see everyone gettin proper sweaty in the winter! ubbloco
bounce
also big hug 's for Bissa and Oli (whether you read this forum or not)... you are guys are so lovely, ubblove was a pleasure to meet you... biggrin

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
[Old link]

are we in the market tonight?

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
scence spitz isn't on next week and as it also a bank hoilday (so the hard working 1% of spinner are free) is anyone up for meeting up in a park on tuesday daytime?

Maybe I should change this too something abit nicer, humm no I still think your all Ccensoredt

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
you can put me down for that. i had a really good time last night, probably partly due to the baileys. tongue thank you so much for the christmas spread ewan and good luck with the travels.... biggrin hug

big ello to matilda if she ever makes her way on here wave come back and see us again sometime! hug

an well done kev for volunteering to sort all our problems out. clap can you help me find a new job please? an if give you the number of my bank manager... wink hug

SmallBoy - xCarpal \'Tunnel
2,737 posts

Posted:
I'd love to - oh no I'm on a beach in the sunshine for Christmas - muhahahahahahahahaha.....(Degrade into total insanity), nyahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahaha...............xxxxxxx

Cool Cole Gallery pics by the way (Off topic, so what, fu** you)

Small Lardy Person In Disguise

Helz BellzSILVER Member
lovin' it...
2,444 posts

Posted:
ditto

biggrin

Live well, love much, laugh often...

Official O.B.E.S.E. cheerleader

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
Can anyone help me. I am looking to come to the Spitalfield twirling tonight (for the first time) to meet some lovely new people and to hopefully have a great time learning some new moves.....

I think I know the way but being really new in London I am very prone to getting tragically lost.

I have the map but I am pretty bad at reading maps....

Would anyone be willing to meet me at the Liverpool Street Tube station to help me find my way? Or which ever tube station is closest??

biggrin

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
Liverpool street is closest. I'll pm you my no. so you can give me a call when you get there and i'll come meet you. it wouldn't feel like spitz unless i was showing a confused looking traveller the way there! It's really easy to find though... smile

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
Oh thank you thank you thank you so very very much!!!!!!

hug

MindwalkerSILVER Member
1 post

Posted:
Hello Everyone...

So im a new twirler... Going on 3 months now.. Had my first taste of fire over the holidays in ibiza ( yes im a lucky ********)... and boy is fire fun... hmm and warm....

Hey medusa, im guessing your fiona, girl i bumped into near victoria while i was spining outside the cathedral.. i can also help u get to spits if u want.. though have not been im pretty good with places here in london....

So yeah i would love to come down next tuesday and feel the vibe, and learn some new moves...

Oh yeah also i dont know if there are any/many students here from any of the london uni's... expecially Kings ( woo go kings) But i am starting up a poi/spinning society as a sub branch of the society i am part of ( quality stuff) and if anyone wants to be part of it im gonna arrange for people to go to spits ( and also parks and stuff around london), as i know a lot of people would like to but they have not got them selves organised yet.. Also im hopping to introduce a whole bunch of new people to the wonders of spinning.. Umm yeah so any students just send me a PM to get in contact.

Really look forward to meeting all you wonderful people.

Love and light

Mindwalker

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
Hi there Luke! smile

Yes I am the strange blonde chick who randomly started talking to you in Victoria! hehehe.... Hey what can I say I see someone spinning I have to check out their style.

I was at Spitz last night (thank you so so much duballstar for helping me find the way!!! You are wonderful!!!!!!!!)

I was in awe of the skill that everyone had...my god these guys are good....I was a little daunted by the fact that I am no where near that standard, next time I come I am going to have to harrass people to teach me....

The people I got to talk to were wonderful, I didn't get to talk to you all but I'm sure that we will have time to come yet!

You guys are all wonderful! Can't wait till 1. next time..... 2. warmer weather (not only to meet more people but so I don't freeze my arse off again!!!)

I will be back!!!!

Oh and Mindwalker....message me with details of any group that you may start up i am definitely interested in getting to as many meets as possible, meeting as many people as possible and hopefully by the time I leave the UK I will be half as good if not up to the same level as the guys at Spitz!

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
I take it is on tomorrow?
as it will be my first....chris you going

pm me your number so you can show another lost traveler the way :P

Drawings by chalk minds, strech between the stars

Kyle Mclean-
Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
I am going tomorrow, as well as a nice person I met outside my work who was spinning randomly...hehehe

I am going to come straight from work so I might be there quite early...

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
probably... i'll pm you my no. anyway seeing as i must have forgotten to do it last time! rolleyes

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
clicky mappy to spitz smile

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
Thank ye monkey smile

woo anti stuff teachings tonight wink :P

Drawings by chalk minds, strech between the stars

Kyle Mclean-
Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Yeah!
I thought it was you..
redface

WOFTSILVER Member
Likes trees...
209 posts

Posted:
Hello Spitz people!

Towards the end of last year, there was a lady at Spitz selling some very lovely orange poi. does anybody have an email address for her?

Many thanks!
Johnny

'n Boer maak 'n plan.

DreadnautGOLD Member
Dready Teddy
53 posts

Posted:
Written by: WOFT

Towards the end of last year, there was a lady at Spitz selling some very lovely orange poi. does anybody have an email address for her?

If they were sock/cone poi that would probably be Ali. Sorry I don't have an email for her, but I do have her phone number so I'll give her a call and PM it to you. smile

If you want tail poi PM me! biggrin

DreadnautGOLD Member
Dready Teddy
53 posts

Posted:
oh yeah, and Luke / Fiona / any other beginners or South Londoners, I'm holding poi classes 5.30 - 7.30 on wednesdays in Camberwell, and there's a practice meet afterwards.

Check this thread for more details

[Old link]

biggrin

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Chutney returns tomorrow biggrin

Albeit for the first of a few weeks biggrin biggrin

Can't wait smile

Page: ......