Forums > Social Chat > Poi- - Dancing while spinning

Login/Join to Participate

NaganootchAKA CLERIC
172 posts

Posted:
My friend got me into spinning a few months ago,, and i think i'd pretty decent for a kid whose still considered a newbie.Do most of the people here dance while they spin?? i mean i can't dance for S#*( . My friend said that i should dance when i do it to make it look better but , i don't know what to do. Also my friend is a jerk at the same time,, he told me i should stick with liquid dancing cause i'm better at it and leave the poi to him. I think he just wants all the attention it gets.But anyway the main point of this post was to see if anyone else dances or just walks and spins for the turning moves and such.

We are defined by the choices we make

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
NAGANOOCH?!?!?"what you need is a fatty boom batty blunt!i gaurantee you see an ocean, a sail boat, and maybe even some of them big t@tied mermaid doing some of that lesbian shit"snoogansyou'd probably even dance better..Im not to smooth when it comes to dancing. but after spinning a few months, i started to move with the poi more, and it developed into something that resembles dancing..hee heeI know some guys that can flat-out stomp while weaving and shit. Just move with them a little to break up the stiffness. Remember youre not bolted to the ground. If you move your whole body with the poi, its going to somewhat gracefull, and cool to watch. just my $.02Just saw J&SB Strike Back...my new fav movie of the summer. Instant cult classic!!"S"------------------"When a Man Lies He Murders Some Part of the World These Are the PaleDeaths Which Men Miscall Their Lives All this I Cannot Bear to Witness Any Longer Cannot the Kingdom of Salvation Take Me Home"

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

jedimastahmember
97 posts

Posted:
I love to dance while I twirl. The only thing is that I get tired a lot faster. But it also feels like I can get into the groove and more fluid with the poi. My body moves which in turn changes the flow of the poi which in turn changes the possible combos and their outcomes. Also dancing makes it seem more majestic

spikeyrichBRONZE Member
19 posts

Posted:
silent bob is truely the messiah!!snnogans!!!!i have found that THE best music to twirl and dance to is by far drum n bass....just get the poi going,feel the beat and match the poi to the beat,when it goes off just go mad!i find it helps to close my eyes and "feel" what the poi are doing. get a bit of movement goin in your shoulders and the rest of your body follows.Magic beans obviously help a hell of a lot!!Spikey."as you think so you are, as you imagine so you become"

as you think so you are, as you imagine so you become.

DTKBmember
54 posts

Posted:
Oh dude,Ignore your friend. They probably see that you are getting better than them and they are jealous!! I agree with Superman, don't try to dance, just move your body with the rhythm. One thing I know, at raves, everyone had their own dance style, it's the way you choose to express yourself to the music. So just do what you want to do to the music. Poi will probably help you because they give you a rhythm and movement to start with.DTKB

DTKB

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, But by the moments that take our breath away.

NaganootchAKA CLERIC
172 posts

Posted:
Hey thanks for the imput,,, Yeah i have still yet to see Jay and silent bob strike back :>( Tomorrow i will get to see it finally. YAY.

Drakemember
72 posts

Posted:
fuck yeah about jay and silent bob. once again kevin smith comes though. sure i was a bit dissappointed with dogma, but it dont matta, all the others more than make up for it. dont get me wrong, its a good movie, but just a little, well, not good at points. and ohh god shannon elizabeth (drooooool)DRAKEkatafunk@hotmail.comwww.geocities.com/katafunk

HaZZamember
23 posts

Posted:
Im pretty new to stringin, but i move around just a little. When i look back to when i started (about a month ago) i didnt move at all. But when you get the hang of turning (low turn's or a tuck turn) youll start to move around more. Wish i mastered the backward weave already... :-)And for me i just move to the beat sumtimes, like holdin ma hands in the air, while stringin, and playin the crowd.. :-)happy stringin

N8member
336 posts

Posted:
Yeah, i definately dance and spin, all the time. Its the only way I feel, especially with basic moves- it gets you into a kind of trance, and personally I think I spin better that way.------------------Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
i would just like to say that poi dancing feels great to do ..only been at it for 6 mouths ..

Rowanmember
6 posts

Posted:
I would describe my style as dancing...with flaming objects.I dance more than I do really cool moves. Though, I definitely think both styles, dancing and the more technical stand still move, have strengths. I enjoy watching both.

RavingLunaticmember
286 posts

Posted:
Rowan?!?did you used to live in kamloops?somehow I doubt it, but I thought... maybe?

~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Hi NaganootchI am all for dancing whil you spin because that is what makes it unique and beautiful for me. However, let me share this with you : I was a rather shy dancer before and suddenly, as I started fire dancing I found myself just dancing in the middle of many people staring at me without being ashamed or anything. Somehow I felt I was "hidden" or protected by the poi maybe ? However, close your eyes maybe, feel the music and follow your heart . There are no "bad dancers" to me as long as you do what you feel like. You'll be surprised yourself, you'll see !!!and , sorry to say that but , please don't let nasty people dictate what you need to do !!Shine oncassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
Cassandra,Me too! I now catch myself doing poi moves while dancing all the time! Without poi that is. Looks pretty good until you find yourself doing the windmill. Then you just look silly!Finn smile

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
Is dancing with spinning glowsticks its have yer glowsticks going with the music right?i have saw one guy having his glowsticks going with the ryhmn of the music... he owned in my opinion for that tho..when i try i dunno i guess i do it at the song rythmn but my problem is that when i do it i guess i stay too much doing one move... since techno you know stay with the same rhymn for a while... then change of ryhnm well i go like that when it change of ryhmn i change of move... i guessi can do cool move but dunno i would like to make more move in the same ryhmn of the music i guess can anyone help me?

Dance like if noone were watching you

Zeduahmember
11 posts

Posted:
Definitely ignore anyone who tries to discourage you from doing anything you like to do, they are just inflicted with what is known as an inferiority complex... me personally, I've been spinning for a few months now, and I'm beginning to move around more to the music as I learn how to turn around and keep spinning with moves like reverse weave and turn, and low turn and high turn... can't really dance yet, just sort of walk around in a circle and try to keep moving... my biggest problem is hitting my legs with the poi. I think dancing while spinning requires coordination, I look up to anyone who can do it! smile

GlowJedimember
13 posts

Posted:
By all means, you should dance while your spinning. The best part of being able to spin, is when you throw down to the beat and just get crazy. You don't even have to do a lot, just follow the beat. It makes everything look so much better. Still there are times when you can't dance, but you can still wiggle your hinney.

Oottatmember
10 posts

Posted:
I'm with you on this one, The best I can hope for when dancing is the fat white guy dance grin But...I do find myself moving a lot more as I learn new moves. Some of them just kind of require you to move!If you want to see someone dance while twirling check out the video section and look for this one:Glowstick twirling from Lucinda Ramsey, USA. Very well done. Nice body movement.It's about six down. To me this sums up Poi, Spinnin', Movement, Enjoyment. Nuf said.Oottat ------------------It's only funny until someone gets hurt.... Then it's a COMPETITION!!!

It's only funny until someone gets hurt.... Then it's a COMPETITION!!!

Madame Kalimember
5 posts

Posted:
There is no comparable feeling to spining while dancing! But it is definately something that I had to work up to (too many bruses otherwise blush) I haven't been spinning long, but I had been doing middle Eastern dance (commonly know as Belly Dance) for sometime before I picked up Poi. The two work very well together, though I guess it does amount to me shaking my hinny a lot wink

NaganootchAKA CLERIC
172 posts

Posted:
haha belly dance??? i think not. I'm a manly man and doubt i could pull that off.I've started to jazz around a bit and it seems the more you move the more the poi(stix) appear to take on a life of their own and spinning independantly from, you.

Madame Kalimember
5 posts

Posted:
I actually know some very manly men (that have wives) that belly dance very well. You should give it a try, you might be suprised. winkKeeping in mind that men belly dancing is VERY different from women belly dancing.

NaganootchAKA CLERIC
172 posts

Posted:
how is that? i've never seen male belly dancers.like whats different?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
yo peeps. yust tought Id...4 beat weave is very usefull for dancing (but not to 'golden brown' of a lot of raga'a) and a lot of the time I like just swinging them at my sides, moving to split time and low/high turns, 2 and 4 beat windmill is good too.I got friends who dance without poi or music, whenever, wherever waiting for a bus whatever, looks quite strange but gracefull.Im a guy who bellydances, but I dont really have the belly for it, cant get a hang of thoes sholder shimmies either.beet is often in the feet, bounce yourself and all will be well.Catchya

Xochidancemember
18 posts

Posted:
I move around so much its unbelievable. Ive noticed over the past couple of sessions how my style changes depending on my mood and environment. For instance, last weekend I only had a single drum to dance to, and my movement was very low to the ground, aggressive, and somewhat erratic. Normally I do some jumps and flow more when I listen to electronic music. I get my hips a rockin if it is an awesome song. Also I noticed myself practically running down the beach back and forth circling here and there. Im glad I wasnt being taped cause I dont think they could have kept up with me! I was dancing with the rythym and energy of the waves... [This message has been edited by Xochidance (edited 09 September 2001).]

CareyBearmember
9 posts

Posted:
This is kinda a superfluous comment, but I think that fire twirling *is* dancing... But regarding moving & spinning - it comes with practice. Once your hands know what to do, the rest just follows.... smileJust don't try and jump around too much at first - the worst burns I've gotten I got that way... *L*

Aislinnmember
6 posts

Posted:
Hi,We belly dance too ( although I'm a drummer more than a dancer. ) My daughter however is a great dancer. She says just listen to the beat and let it tell you how to move. (That tells you alot huh? NOT.) We have found that the middle eastern rhythms work great with poi and a live drum beat is a lot easier to hear over the roar of the fire. I love drumming for our troupe as much as I like dancing with the poi. My advice would be to get with someone who dances well and have them help you choreograph some simple moves to start with. Once you get that down then you can move on to more complicated stuff and you will feel more confidante.------------------AislinnTribe Rolling Thunder, Sisterhood of the SerpentThe Rolling Thunder web site -- https://www.geocities.com/aislinn0325/drum.htm
* Ask no more and give no less than honesty, courage, loyalty, generosity, and fairness. *

Aislinn
Tribe Rolling Thunder, Sisterhood of the Serpent
* Ask no more and give no less than honesty, courage, loyalty, generosity, and fairness. *

MeneeococoaGOLD Member
torn and bleeding warrior of love
133 posts

Posted:
I just want to say that Xochidance is my hero...lol, after I saw that video and listened to that great DJ RUbio (i think..) track, I about died......

Xochidance....will you be my mentor? biggrin

I need to find something witty for this so people like me...

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
they're prtty much inseperable once you get comfortable with the moves. Hip swinging comes naturally.

maybe if you do it in front of a mirror you'll realise you actually dance anyway. But also, having any music on makes it more natural. I generally do it to tecno or something.

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.