Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Poi and Staff workshops in Spitalfields Market EC1 London

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
SpacemonkEmember
25 posts

Posted:
----------- Spinning@... Update -----------

Dear all

we have moved to a new location.... se here for the new treead

[Old link]

see you at the rag factory..

this is why we have moved...

We had discussions in the pub on Tuesday regarding the use of the market for spinning@spitz and thanks to friends we have a much clearer idea of what’s going on:

Unfortunately we are not allowed back into the market for our workshops. It seems that while we have been out the market for the work, there has been a change of management. The new management appears to want to “increase the value” of the market area (gentrification is the term being used). This has led to many of the existing tenants not being invited to re enter the market, our selves included.

The st’georges residents association would have had no idea we would not be allowed back in, so although annoying its not their fault. We still have contacts in the market and we don’t want to cut out any future possibility of re-entering the market at a later date by kicking up a fuss, especially when there is no chance at all of us using the space in the current climate.

We need to do 2 things… 1. Find a temporary place to play ASAP… (see top) and 2. Find a permanent new home… to help us move forward we need your help. Please think of the people around you, be it your parents, friends, colleagues etc and see if there is anyone who may be able to finds us a new home… put the feelers out there.

If you find somewhere that fits our criteria (see below) then please get a contact name, a number or email and if appropriate, have a brief chat with them as a recommendation or personal contact makes a huge difference. If they are interested, forward their details to me and I will then chase it up.

We require an indoor or covered outdoor area with adequate lighting able to house up to 100 people on a Tuesday evening within 10mins from a tube and centrally located. We also require power to run a portable stereo.

On another note we have decided to have a Xmas party to raise some funds to help us secure a new spinning@..... ‘s venue. The confirmed date is Thursday 20th December in a Brixton from about 7.30 pm to 1 am. More details to follow.

Hopefully we will get sorted very soon and in the meantime we will meet at the poet next week and maybe look at ice skating, bowling or something else there after.

Huge hugs

Kev and the guys at spinning@.... ‘s

grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug

EDITED_BY: Dom (1208047279)

Perspective allows us to live in a world of incomprehensible possibility, simply by blinding us to almost all of it… We’re not horses, yet we all wear blinkers...

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
no not you jon, i mean cole!

cole you shall no more taste the amazingness of the step made biccies!

no longer will crumbs of goodness fall from the sides of your mouth!

wink

Step (el-nombrie)

DennyHere again gone again
157 posts

Posted:
Went to Spitz last night to practise poi (and stuff). Hopefully I'll be doing this most weeks from now on - I miss the fun I had this summer, playing in the park with all my toys, before I got employed again (although on balance, the salary does offer a fine form of compensation for my otherwise tragic loss).

I've bruised the hell out of my calf muscles, but I think I've just about figured out how to do the weave behind my back now. Also I suddenly figured out the trick to push-throughs, although I think it's going to take me a while longer to persuade my arms to ignore the (wrong) timing that my instincts want to use for them, and instead leave them that extra half-beat until they'll actually work.

Thanks to the organisers, and to anyone who chatted with me... see you next week hopefully smile

"Talk hard"

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
*bump* wooooooooo spitz ill be there tonight looking forward to much spinnyness

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I won't frown

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

157 posts

Posted:
I'll be there! Got my poi in a bag under my desk here at work, ready to get straight on the tube into town at 6pm smile Shame it's not sunnier, I'd have gone and played in the car park at lunchtime...

"Talk hard"

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
I'm not there wink

"Moo," said the happy cow.

157 posts

Posted:
Woohoo! Excellent evening - got the hang of about four new things (huge thanks to all who shared tips and hints with me), so I'll be fascinated to see how many of those I remember for long enough to get them nailed down. I guess I better start practising in the evenings when I get home from work... that should amuse the neighbours smile

"Talk hard"

OrbitSILVER Member
enthusiast
270 posts

Posted:
Woohoo! I'm headed for London again, arriving on Tuesday and staying for another 3 week stretch. May be a bit too knackered for Spitz this weekend, but I'll definitely be there at least once while I'm in town!

SmallBoy - xCarpal \'Tunnel
2,737 posts

Posted:
flagrant.........

Small Lardy Person In Disguise

SmallBoy - xCarpal \'Tunnel
2,737 posts

Posted:
....theft of post 1000 - xxxx

Thanks to Ewan for making Spitz great and putting up with everyone, and being really cool, and happy birthday for being 29 and all that - ubblol hug
EDITED_BY: SmallBoy - x (1097829787)

Small Lardy Person In Disguise

brodiemanold hand
1,024 posts

Posted:
Elo peeps,
I was really uspet to hear last tuesday, when Euan was collecting subs a un-named person, confronted Euan with questions like why should you charge? an their are plenty of squats in london..... and generally being not fluffy..

I just wanted to remind people that Euan donates alot of his time and energy into spitz
Their is also the fact that spitz market does charge rent and insurance does have to be paied for.

I know most of us do realise this and are happy to part with a small amount of money to keep this much loved object manipuation workshop runnung. But their are peeps week on week taking advantage
please remember Spitz is practically non profit.

I hope this message does not offend anyone, but euan does deserve a lot of respect for the amount of time and energy inot the running of the nicest social gathering i have ever been too.

hug Rant over juggle
Much hugs and mahhhhoooosssiiivvveee hugs
Mike
smile ubbangel

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Grrrr - that sucks.

Bad person spank

I love Spitz, can you bring it nearer to Guildford please so I can come more often?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
You could always try mailing The Spitalfields Development Group

Ask them nicely and give them biscuits and they might be persuaded to move it wink

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

157 posts

Posted:
Written by: brodieman_X

I was really uspet to hear last tuesday, when Euan was collecting subs a un-named person, confronted Euan with questions like why should you charge? an their are plenty of squats in london..... and generally being not fluffy..

That's really poor. I can't think of a better investment personally, the amount I've learnt each week that I've gone is worth way more than three quid.

(Except for this week, and that's because I was teaching some other people - what goes around, comes around.)

Spitz is a good venue - it's large, dry, well lit, and very close to a major transport link. If they just keep the bin lorries out of our way, it's pretty much ideal smile

Would it be worth collecting in the middle of the evening rather than toward the end? That might deter those who want to freeload. Or it might not - some people have no shame. I presume the security guard who can be seen wandering around the place is our last resort in the event that people are unwilling to contribute their £3?

Many thanks indeed to Euan for organising the event - it's the only thing between Monday morning and Friday afternoon that I look forward to each week!

"Talk hard"

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Hassling ewan is like kicking a puppy thats also a nun. it just ain't right.

if i were Home Secretary then i'd rush through a kneejerk law that would take such offenders and electronically tag them with a microchip that would regularly screech:
"i am a freeloading hippy deserving of crude mockery"
in a voice like a casio keyboard.

ANYWAY

i'll be spit-zing next tuesday, probably in the 1001 bar from eaaaaaarly if anyones interested smile

Written by: TheBovrilmonkey

Just remember, the smaller the monkey, the more it wants to kill you.

ubblol i like that lots

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
yeah i owe ewan for last time, I HAVE NOT FORGOTTEN !!!!!!

we love ewan we do ubbrollsmile

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

brodiemanold hand
1,024 posts

Posted:
yay im glad peeps agree, spitz makes me happy and euan is a fantastic bloke
lets hope that spitz goes on and on an on... and on
;0 juggle

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Written by:

Hassling ewan is like kicking a puppy thats also a nun

As the monkey said! Last time I was down at Spitz I had to practially battle with Euan to give him my paltry three quid as he did not see me spin!

I'm a lazy git and would be very unlikely to turn up at random every changing location of squat sessions. Betcha if said person had to invest any of their own time and money in making something like Spits sessions happen they would soon change their tune! How mean confused

Well had planned to go to Spitz on Tuesday anyhow but definitely up for some spinning and rum and show my support for Euan & all the hardcore folks who keep Spits running!

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

157 posts

Posted:
I'll be there next week for sure - I have an american friend coming to stay with me all week - I told her what we should be doing on Tuesday evening and she said 'ooh cool' smile

"Talk hard"

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:

I was really uspet to hear last tuesday, when Euan was collecting subs a un-named person, confronted Euan with questions like why should you charge? an their are plenty of squats in london.....

this makes me mad

if i had been there and heard this i would have been a damn sight more than 'generally not fluffy' towards this f*ckhole.

if you don't want to pay, don't f*cking turn up.

if you want to juggle at a squat with low ceilings (and like kat said, apart from the drome and kensal has there ever been a juggling workshop held at a squat that stayed in the same place for more than a year?) then go break one and do that.

not to mention the fact that most squat juggling workshops have a donation policy anyway!

don't come down and hassle a man that has made a huge effort to set up and keep a sucessful spinning/juggling workshop running.

i know times when spitz was not making money it still managed to continue running - how do you think that happened?

ubblove euan ubblove
thats how.

if anyone knows who this 'complaint' came from, i'd very much like to be told - i promise not to be too rude to them or to leave any marks where they are visible wink

grrrr.
i need a drink.

hug

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
mmmm agree with all of above.

Euan rocks, i even like watching him do poi...

But if someone said
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

last tuesday, when Euan was collecting subs a un-named person, confronted Euan with questions like why should you charge? an their are plenty of squats in london.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

to me at Brixton i'd be none too happy.

This person should go find a squat and spin there. Bet they won't find as many nice people under one roof though.

Simian - i should be there next week and will try and remember to bring along Hard Boiled, that comic i keep on going on about.

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Hey congrats Will! Hear you are rejoining the drones next week! See ya on Tues (decided all round that severe poverty makes Sat not feasible!!)

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
look into my eyes don't lookaroundtheeyes look at the EYES you're under

come to spitz

*click*

you're back in the room

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Are you providing the private jet Simian?

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
Hey Simian I'm afraid i forgot the Hard Boiled Comic (penned by Geoff Darrow). I took it when i dropped the kids off this morning and the forgot to put it in my bag, tho I can assure you it's worth reading!

Deja

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

faery emBRONZE Member
fae
259 posts

Posted:
um... i can't come to spits for a while...
i've become part of a theatrical thing that means rehearsing monday tuesday & wednesday from 7-9, which kind of gets in the way of the whole spits thing.
but i promise i have not forgotten and i will be back.
and maybe i can persuade some of you to see this 'thing' in the week that is sometime around the 8th february!?

missing you all already

fae hugs to all at spits
xx

warp children still smile the same

"when i left the mine i realised that the world was changing. or was it us who were changing?"

OrbitSILVER Member
enthusiast
270 posts

Posted:
Any news on Alex? Did I get his name right?!? The guy who messed up his knee. Is he okay?

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
huh? knee? messed up? at spitz? alex? alex weasel? what's the story there then?

whoever it is, i hope you're okay hug

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
It is indeed Alexy Weasely.

frown

Get well soon me old mate.

hug

hug2

kiss

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
hmmm, just noticed i got a missed call on my phone from mr. weasel.

will call him after work and dish out some verbal huggage.

hug

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Page: ......