Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Poi and Staff workshops in Spitalfields Market EC1 London

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
SpacemonkEmember
25 posts

Posted:
----------- Spinning@... Update -----------

Dear all

we have moved to a new location.... se here for the new treead

[Old link]

see you at the rag factory..

this is why we have moved...

We had discussions in the pub on Tuesday regarding the use of the market for spinning@spitz and thanks to friends we have a much clearer idea of what’s going on:

Unfortunately we are not allowed back into the market for our workshops. It seems that while we have been out the market for the work, there has been a change of management. The new management appears to want to “increase the value” of the market area (gentrification is the term being used). This has led to many of the existing tenants not being invited to re enter the market, our selves included.

The st’georges residents association would have had no idea we would not be allowed back in, so although annoying its not their fault. We still have contacts in the market and we don’t want to cut out any future possibility of re-entering the market at a later date by kicking up a fuss, especially when there is no chance at all of us using the space in the current climate.

We need to do 2 things… 1. Find a temporary place to play ASAP… (see top) and 2. Find a permanent new home… to help us move forward we need your help. Please think of the people around you, be it your parents, friends, colleagues etc and see if there is anyone who may be able to finds us a new home… put the feelers out there.

If you find somewhere that fits our criteria (see below) then please get a contact name, a number or email and if appropriate, have a brief chat with them as a recommendation or personal contact makes a huge difference. If they are interested, forward their details to me and I will then chase it up.

We require an indoor or covered outdoor area with adequate lighting able to house up to 100 people on a Tuesday evening within 10mins from a tube and centrally located. We also require power to run a portable stereo.

On another note we have decided to have a Xmas party to raise some funds to help us secure a new spinning@..... ‘s venue. The confirmed date is Thursday 20th December in a Brixton from about 7.30 pm to 1 am. More details to follow.

Hopefully we will get sorted very soon and in the meantime we will meet at the poet next week and maybe look at ice skating, bowling or something else there after.

Huge hugs

Kev and the guys at spinning@.... ‘s

grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug

EDITED_BY: Dom (1208047279)

Perspective allows us to live in a world of incomprehensible possibility, simply by blinding us to almost all of it… We’re not horses, yet we all wear blinkers...

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
the other other swingers night...as run my smallboy...rotflmao

SmallBoy - xCarpal \'Tunnel
2,737 posts

Posted:
That's an idea, we set up fire nights 4 times a week so Em feels 4 times as pissed off for having no social life at the moment - lol

Small Lardy Person In Disguise

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
um......mate...i only know of two as well at ehmoment...spittalfields and clapham common...what else is going on i dont know about?

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
smallboy thursday (as detailed above).
and friday night jugglers @ leytonstone.

'dead fire' - tomorrow night's theme.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
Juggling at Leytonstone???? are you guys heading to the 491 then????

What time are we dure at the small ones pad?????

the ?????????? are getting out of control?????? H ?????E?????????????L????????????P????????????????????????????????????ME!

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

tralalamember
20 posts

Posted:
Hello

I would like to turn up to some london poi thing at some point, but I don't know any of you and I am shy. Boo. I was even too shy to type this for about a month!

Reporter to Ghandi: What do you think of western civilisation? Ghandi: I think it would be a very good idea.

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Come down, go on.
We're very nice and friendly, honest.

by the way, is your name from Last Exit to Brooklyn? If so, then yikes

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

faery emBRONZE Member
fae
259 posts

Posted:
i forgot to thank simon for his post the other day....... it gave me a fluffy

simon

little things like that make me realise its worth this hard slog & theres so much just the other side of this mountain

warp children still smile the same

"when i left the mine i realised that the world was changing. or was it us who were changing?"

3,149 posts

Posted:
Consider the fluffy returned

Look at it thusly - You're gonna be coming down the mountain just as it gets warm enough to spin outside without freezing your yayas off.

What are yayas anyway?

UCOF says he won't tell me till i'm older

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

tralalamember
20 posts

Posted:
Last Exit to Brooklyn? The burd that argues lots? No - tralala's just one of my middle names

I think I will come along one tuesday - I don't suppose anyone's *that* scary? And someone might be able to teach me 5-beat weave?

Reporter to Ghandi: What do you think of western civilisation? Ghandi: I think it would be a very good idea.

3,149 posts

Posted:
Smallboy can be quite scary. But if he starts to worry you then you should be able to distract him with flashing lights or bright colours. That'll at least give you long enough to escape. Alternatively, he can be pacified with hugs.

And there are lots of people who can teach you 5 beat weave too. Just come along, pick someone at random and say: "hello i'm new please teach me moves and talk to me"
(If you can do puppydog eyes at the same time, then all the better) Some wing-taking-under style action should ensue

Gravity GirlBRONZE Member
13 posts

Posted:
Here's why I have the blues

Well, I was all set for coming along this Tuesday night to meet some of you cats and spin some poi when the worst happened:

CRASH, BANG, POW, BIF and finally POP!!!!

I got tripped up by two 8-year-olds, slammed into a wall and popped my shoulder out - OUCH!!!

Boohoohoo. I'm out of action for a few weeks at least not to mention in a wee bit of pain.

As soon as I'm better I'll be seeing youse...

Always take time to smell the flowers.

2,737 posts

Posted:
Errrrm, come down anyway and say hello, drink beer, , get gentle shoulder soothing hugz from some of the inmates, I mean errrr .........in fact what is the collective term for weirdos that go out in the sub-zero temparatures of December/January to hang out, chat bollocks and spin poi?????????

tralalamember
20 posts

Posted:
I'm pretty good at puppydog eyes when the need arises!

I think I'll come - maybe tomorrow, definitely the week after. Yay, fire.

3,149 posts

Posted:
There isn't any fire at Spittalfields, its a bright and fluffy practice equipment kind of place. Socks and things with ribbons rather than Wicks and things with scorch marks.

If you want to burn stuff then I'd recommend you come to Poi in the Park on Clapham Common which is just starting up again (But check the weather before you go, as being in the middle of the common on your own in the rain is not fun thing to do )

What you REALLY should do is come to both. Clapham has fire, but Spittalfields has alcohol. There are a few more pros and cons but those two are the really important ones.

tralalamember
20 posts

Posted:
Yay, socks and things with ribbons!

2,737 posts

Posted:
It's half 5, I'm sat here waiting to go play at Spitz.........

I finished an hour ago, and yet it's not worth going home because I'd be running round in circles going no-where fast........this leads me to being bored.......very bored........I know that I could leave now, get there by 6 (When it's supposed to start), and no fucker will be there.
If I get there early I'll be pissed before I get to spin (not an unusual occurrance), and i might just miss the oppotunity to bring sober joy to the masses.
......or be too hammered to wander round NOT being asked to teach anybody anything.

It's going to be a tad nippy too.......

Alternatively I could sit here staring at a computer screen pretending that life is good and that I don't have any compulsive urge to spin stuff.......

Life's as depressing as a sewn up cunt.......

.........and this is as depressing as the world supply of THC bearing plants being wiped out.

One of these days I'll bring some # to work......

I'm leaving..........

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
ahhhh....who is one big grouchy guts?!?!

b-i-g h-u-g!

2,737 posts

Posted:
I was just bored and I had my boss looking over my shoulder at me.....not today.......

although I NEED more sleep.

(3 and a half hours a night is not enough)

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
i second that motion.

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Hope everyone had fun last night... was off work and couldn't be arsed to come down after having spent all day tidying the house in preparation for people coming round to see it. Pity, that's only the second one I've missed since I started going back in September!

"Moo," said the happy cow.

3,149 posts

Posted:
I knew i was a hug down yesterday. Thank you for explaining the discrepancy and accept this rebate:

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
nice one si

being the hug slut that i am i usually manage to sting mr x here for at least two on a tuesday so have some more of these sir:

now the nice bits over with - shame on you for not making it i had to go to canada before i missed one

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Aww you guys!

Will definitely be down at the next one!

"Moo," said the happy cow.

DTKBmember
54 posts

Posted:
I LOVE THIS THREAD.

There's so much love... and Gravity Girl it's good we finally meet up here!! We'll be onto Spitalfields as soon as that shoulder is fixed!!

As for this week, I will really really try, but damn that central line causes me pain to get my but there from where I am.

But the calling of the poi is strong....

I think the Clapham Common gig is a great time, except a little far, but worth it.

Anyone ever spin around Primrose hill???

group hug!

DTKB

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, But by the moments that take our breath away.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
buxton blondes a plenty...

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Tired Not sure if I will crawl down to Spitz tonight after all. Ho hum. What time are things kicking off this evening as I don't think I will be staying too late if I do go?

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
I'll be there from about 6ish till errrr err till it ends.

BamBam

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i will be doing my early bird impression this week and turning up @ 6.

i will be attempting to learn stuff so should be mentioning the word 'ow' from time to time as well as slipping in some choice expletives from my vast collection.

and someone is bringing me some sticks to play with
i'll be needing a stick - i have to give my favorite toys back this weekend

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Sticks as in devil stick or sticks as in staff

One of these days I must start learning new poi tricks! Today won't be it though as my brain is mush and I think I need new glasses! Too much surfing on HOP I guess

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

Page: ......